• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Brown would be a fantastic candidate.

Ben McAdams (current Democratic Mayor of Salt Lake County) just sent out an email announcing his run for Utah's 4th Congressional District against Mia Love. I think he legitimately has a shot, and he's really awesome. I got to hear him speak at the University of Utah and you can tell how much he cares.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have been busy recently and must have missed it: Why is Bernie debating Ted Cruz?

Plinko

because literally anyone who debates ted cruz is guaranteed to come out of it looking good?

Well, that goes without saying, but I was genuinely curious. Is there some special event or is this just a generic debate about current issues?

mlclmtckr

Banned
Well, that goes without saying, but I was genuinely curious. Is there some special event or is this just a generic debate about current issues?

oh i see. yeah it's some stupid CNN town hall thing about tax reform I think. it's just going to be a lot of noise and talking points and bad moderation, I expect.

DTC

because literally anyone who debates ted cruz is guaranteed to come out of it looking good?

Ted Cruz is one of the best debaters lol. Maybe you think he makes people look good, but a lot of people thought Cruz beat Bernie in the last debate (including many dems I asked who liked Sanders). I didn't watch it myself so I can't say if he did or not.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Ted Cruz is one of the best debaters lol. Maybe you think he makes people look good, but a lot of people thought Cruz beat Bernie in the last debate (including many dems I asked who liked Sanders). I didn't watch it myself so I can't say if he did or not.

he is a couple of gallons of putrid slime poured into a foam rubber sculpture of an ugly man, the only people who like him or think he "wins" debates are nerds who think you can actually win a cable news debate and who think that anyone gives a shit about like ad hominems and shit

there's a reason Ben Shapiro's fans are always praising him by saying "he's never lost a debate" and it's not because Ben Shapiro is like smart or charismatic

DTC

he is a couple of gallons of putrid slime poured into a foam rubber sculpture of an ugly man, the only people who like him or think he "wins" debates are nerds who think you can actually win a cable news debate and who think that anyone gives a shit about like ad hominems and shit

there's a reason Ben Shapiro's fans are always praising him by saying "he's never lost a debate" and it's not because Ben Shapiro is like smart or charismatic

I know you and I dislike him, but the unfortunate reality is we aren't 100% of the electorate.

Cruz is a master debater - haven't you seen his tweets?

mlclmtckr

Banned
I know you and I dislike him, but the unfortunate reality is we aren't 100% of the electorate.

but like ted cruz is super disliked by everyone from his colleagues to republican primary voters to like his own immediate family

i mean bernie is a pretty bad debater anyway but ted cruz is like a wholly unappealing person

Ted Cruz is an extremely skilled formal debater. In a political debate his goblin-esque facial structure, Zodiac Killer mannerisms, and general policy ghoulishness are all major strikes against.

More seriously, he's the kind of debater who's an expert on the rules and scoring points with judges but is simply not clever, witty, or informed enough to really carry a point in a less-rigorous setting.

DTC

Well yeah, when the debate turns into a personality contest (e.g rethuglican primary vs Trump), Cruz gets destroyed because he is slimy and untrustworthy. But he can run circles around most people who try to debate him head on.

I feel like Joe Biden would destroy Cruz in a debate, but not most other dems.

sandpiper

I got a message today from work that the cost of my health insurance premiums through work just doubled thanks to current events, also our Tele Health extra thing got cancelled too. thanks, trump?

Culex

Banned
I got a message today from work that the cost of my health insurance premiums through work just doubled thanks to current events, also our Tele Health extra thing got cancelled too. thanks, trump?

Terrible news, sorry! Our 2018 plan is only going up 2%, so that's good news. Our company is approaching 4,000 employees now, so maybe that helps?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My cost is going up but only because my benefits eligible pay is going up MASSIVELY. Just massively. It's beautiful and massive.

kirblar

Nationwide around probably 70-80k employees or something, but I work in a local branch with several hundred.
Oh, wow - is it handled at the state level insurance wise or franchised? I would've thought a company that large was locked in by now. :-/

If you have an R senator, might want to call them on this one to try and push them on the CSR stuff.

I think I'm in the clear cause I work for a large company and they just sent us our 2018 materials, but who knows.

sandpiper

Oh, wow - is it handled at the state level insurance wise or franchised? I would've thought a company that large was locked in by now. :-/

If you have an R senator, might want to call them on this one to try and push them on the CSR stuff.

I think I'm in the clear cause I work for a large company and they just sent us our 2018 materials, but who knows.

It's franchised, so it has local owners. Specifically, the carrier hit the local company with a 44% increase in the health insurance plan. The company absorbed 3/4 of the "per employee" impact but the employees have to shoulder the last 1/4 of it.

kirblar

I thought this just impacted the individual market?
Small businesses getting sideswiped by this is unfortunately not surprising.
It's franchised, so it has local owners. Specifically, the carrier hit the local company with a 44% increase in the health insurance plan. The company absorbed 3/4 of the "per employee" impact but the employees have to shoulder the last 1/4 of it.
Holy hell.

Maxim726X

Every fucking time the estate tax is brought up, I never hear anyone say: 'If your 'estate' is less than 11.2 million fucking dollars you'll never have to pay a dime'.

Or 'x billion dollars would be lost in revenue so people making over 11 million dollars can keep just a little more'.

Ugh. Frustrating.

Every fucking time the estate tax is brought up, I never hear anyone say: 'If your 'estate' is less than 11.2 million fucking dollars you'll never have to pay a dime'.

Or 'x billion dollars would be lost in revenue so people making over 11 million dollars can keep just a little more'.

Ugh. Frustrating.
Yeah, basically any response should be something like that. “Do you have $5M in wealth, $11M if you’re married? No? Then this doesn’t affect you.”

Brown would be a fantastic candidate.

I was against it in 2016 because I felt we really needed him in Ohio, especially with Kasich able to appoint Mandel as his immediate replacement should he step down.

I am down with him running in 2020. Easily the one thing I'll miss the most about this state when I leave.

remember when
Cruz_Fiorina_GOP_2016_img.jpg

DTC

I only listened to parts of the end of the debate but it seems like Bernie was actually fairly good. He got a lot more applause than Cruz at the end lol. People have to not be baited into disproving every one of Cruz's points though -- just try to connect all of them into the theme of Ted Cruz lying and being untrustworthy. Cruz is a great bullshitter, but his big weakness is... he's a bullshitter.

DTC

I’m pretty pleased with all the good candidates we’ve been getting in reach/wave districts. Amy McGrath, Ben McAdams. IronStache.

Richard Ojeda is an insanely good candidate in a district that wouldn't even be close to competitive in any other circumstance (WV-03). He won a state senate district 59-41 (not even as an incumbent) that Trump won by 77-19. He's not even a moderate dem either (Likes medicare for all). He's a veteran, very charismatic, a fighter, does a lot of engaging Facebook live videos, etc. If there's anyone that can win in WV-03, it's him.

The only issue is he voted for Trump (but is disappointed with him)... but that will probably help him get elected in West Virginia.

lenovox1

Is it bad that I would rather have had Ted Cruz as president looking back in hindsight.

Not necessarily bad, but the problem and scare with Ted Cruz vs. Donald Trump is that he would be MASSIVELY more effective in both turning America into a libertarian fascist blend state and more effective legislatively.

Richard Ojeda is an insanely good candidate in a district that wouldn't even be close to competitive in any other circumstance (WV-03). He won a state senate district 59-41 (not even as an incumbent) that Trump won by 77-19. He's not even a moderate dem either (Likes medicare for all). He's a veteran, very charismatic, a fighter, does a lot of engaging Facebook live videos, etc. If there's anyone that can win in WV-03, it's him.

The only issue is he voted for Trump (but is disappointed with him)... but that will probably help him get elected in West Virginia.
Oh yeah, on paper he’s a great candidate. I’ve wrestled with the notion of electing Trump-supporting Democrats, but ultimately he’d be more useful elected than not, I suppose.

Democrats also just landed a great candidate in FL-16 today against Vern Buchanan, David Shapiro. Apparently he’s a personal injury lawyer in the district who’s extremely well-known and well-connected, so e seems like a pretty good get. He ran for a very red State House seat in 2006 and only lost by a point. District went for Trump 53-43 so we’ll see I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom