• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trakdown

Gary Whitta said:
Wow, hasn't Franken been behind the whole race? What's behind this sudden surge from behind?

I hope he wins, if only to see the look on O'Reilly's face.

I wanna see Limbaugh. A black president and Al Franken in the senate has the makings of an epic meltdown.

Zeliard

Zefah said:
That wasn't Obama's voice was it? It sounded like it near the beginning and in some parts throughout, but there were some parts where it sounded nothing like him.

At no point to me did it not sound exactly like Barack Obama. After hearing the guy speak nearly every day for the past 2 or so years, the inflection, rhythm, and general sound of his voice is absolutely unmistakable. It's him the whole way through.

Gattsu25 said:
Yeah, even if that's spliced together that is still fucking awesome.

Well...I know what I'm listening to tomorrow :)

flebsw.png

The YTMND piece is from Dreams From My Father, though. Get both!

Gattsu25

Banned
Zeliard said:
At no point to me did it not sound exactly like Barack Obama. After hearing the guy speak nearly every day for the past 2 or so years, the inflection, rhythm, and general sound of his voice is absolutely unmistakable. It's him the whole way through.

The YTMND piece is from Dreams From My Father, though. Get both!
I guess it's because I've never heard him curse before :lol

Also: bah. Well, here goes.

16jrcb4.png

Dead

well not really...yet
The Lamonster said:
I don't have access to a TV tonight - is there any way to stream TDS and Colbert???

:(
They are ususally put online on the official sites sometime after midnight

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/10/07/politics/fromtheroad/entry4507703.shtml

...Obama is the big time orator, McCain is the guy who struggles with a teleprompter or even note cards strategically placed nearby. Obama's crowds are larger, more enthusiastic. McCain's events are smaller, but to my eye, better choreographed. And now with the addition of Sarah Palin to some of his events, McCain can boast of crowds that match Obama's in energy.

There is an urgency to the McCain campaign now that I don't think was there before. Due to the fact that he is running second, no doubt, but it may also be because McCain has a finishing kick. Whatever the case, he is sharper on the stump than he was before. (Though I would suspect a candidate running behind would want to schedule two or three appearances per day, instead of the one McCain usually does.)

It is true that McCain enjoys taking questions from the audience in town hall-style settings. That doesn't mean he is the master of that kind of forum, it just means he's good at it. He likes to converse with voters. Obama does it well too, but seldom achieves that intangible bond with the people that all politicians crave -- or fake.

Behind the scenes, where the public is not allowed, there are other differences.

Obama's campaign schedule is fuller, more hectic and seemingly improvisational. The Obama aides who deal with the national reporters on the campaign plane are often overwhelmed, overworked and un-informed about where, when, why or how the candidate is moving about. Baggage calls are preposterously early with the explanation that it's all for security reasons.

If so, I would love to have someone from Obama's campaign explain why the entire press corps, the Secret Service, and the local police idled for two hours in a Miami hotel parking lot recently because there was nothing to do and nowhere to go. It was not an isolated case.

The national headquarters in Chicago airily dismisses complaints from journalists wondering why a schedule cannot be printed up or at least e-mailed in time to make coverage plans. Nor is there much sympathy for those of us who report for a newscast that airs in the early evening hours. Our shows place a premium on live reporting from the scene of campaign events. But this campaign can often be found in the air and flying around at the time the "CBS Evening News with Katie Couric" is broadcast. I suspect there is a feeling within the Obama campaign that the broadcast networks are less influential in the age of the internet and thus needn't be accomodated as in the days of yore. Even if it's true, they are only hurting themselves by dissing audiences that run in the tens of millions every night.

:lol :lol :lol

Please go to the link and read the rest of the piece. It is absolutely hilarious.

Gattsu25

Banned
Zeliard said:
Joe Scarborough is on Colbert tonight. :lol
You know, I like that guy. I don't often agree with him but at the same time I don't think he's a brainwashed conservative minge like Hannity or O'Reilly

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Zeliard said:
I think more than what he says (he is quoting somebody else) is his delivery. His delivery is fucking spectacular. I definitely have to go snag his audio book.

Did you know that Obama won a Grammy for that audio book?

MassiveAttack said:
These are Palin's people... Hockey moms, Joe Sixpacks, purveyors of small town values. They'll also get pregnant at 15, open methlabs by the thousands and never, ever travel beyond the borders of the U-S-fucking-A.

Too true. The ugly side of small town values is unbelievably sinister.

Just last month, I was driving through Kern County on the way to camp in Yosemite. I stopped to get some gas and noticed a pack of sweaty tweakers eyeing me lustily like a bear might appraise an untended cooler full of food. A perceptible aura of nervous energy filled the air. It's sad, cause the land is beautiful - apricot orchards, walnut trees, the odd vineyard - and the people are largely friendly, but a few bad apples can really make it a creepy area.

I doubt these guys were voters, though.

Zeliard

mckmas8808 said:
Did you know that Obama won a Grammy for that audio book?

Yeah, I'd heard about that before. Doesn't surprise me in the least. You can tell even from that short YTMND that Obama's delivery is simply something else. Incredibly charismatic and his timing is flawless.

AniHawk

Gattsu25 said:
You know, I like that guy. I don't often agree with him but at the same time I don't think he's a brainwashed conservative minge like Hannity or O'Reilly
He earned some points for going after Glenn Beck for mocking Heath Ledger's death.

Zeliard

Gattsu25 said:

Scarborough isn't too bad. He was one of the rare conservative pundits who bashed Palin after those embarrassing interviews.

Gruco

Banned
I wonder if Bill would extend an invitation for Senator Franken to appear on his show :lol

kos is pushing really hard on the GA-sen race out of nowhere. Must smell quite a lot of blood in the water.

Pakkidis

Anybody concerned about Obama's safety if he is elected. This truly scares me that one of these nuts will try and do something.

If Obama is elected I DO NOT want these conservative nuts moving to Canada and defiling this country. Therefore we should post a sign on Canada's border saying " Gay marriage is good, guns are bad, and we are pro choice."

Tamanon

Banned
Gruco said:
I wonder if Bill would extend an invitation for Senator Franken to appear on his show :lol

kos is pushing really hard on the GA-sen race out of nowhere. Must smell quite a lot of blood in the water.

If enthusiasm for McCain dies more, then a couple previous longshots suddenly become even-money races.

Pakkidis said:
Anybody concerned about Obama's safety if he is elected. This truly scares me that one of these nuts will try and do something.

If Obama is elected I DO NOT want these conservative nuts moving to Canada and defiling this country. Therefore we should post a sign on Canada's border saying " Gay marriage is good, guns are bad, and we are pro choice."
That would suck...but frankly, the chances are low and Biden would make a great president.

Pakkidis said:

The ignorant masses wouldn't have the means to move anywhere. The staunchest opposition to Obama among the Republican base represents the people who stand to gain the most from an Obama administration.

Pakkidis said:

They can't afford to do anything. Haven't you kept up with Main Street?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Gruco said:

Well we need one of the "long shots" to come through. Obama is most competitive in GA of the three longshots, so it makes sense.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Pakkidis said:

The only good thing about these hate-mogers is that they're also really fucking stupid, lessening the chances they can get themselves into a position to harm a president.

O'Reilly's advice on what McCain should have done at the debate is hilarious. He' thinks McCain should have yelled more, got more angry, threatened to arrest people, and brought a picture of Barney Frank at as a prop, accuse him of being responsible for the economic crisis, and point out that he is a friend of Barack's. This guy really is on his own planet.

Ninja Scooter said:
O'Reilly's advice on what McCain should have done at the debate is hilarious. He' thinks McCain should have yelled more, got more angry, threatened to arrest people, and brought a picture of Barney Frank at as a prop, accuse him of being responsible for the economic crisis, and point out that he is a friend of Barack's. This guy really is on his own planet.

Obama might be looking at a 16 point lead in Gallup if he did that :lol

Ninja Scooter said:

O'Reilly is still shocked that black people can own a restaurant and eat there without it turning into a scene out of a snoop dog video.

He's always a bit out of touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom