• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
beermonkey@tehbias said:
McCain's audience booing him for calling his opponent a decent person is one of the saddest things I have ever seen in politics.

These despicable people want their red meat. They want their enabler. They care nothing for the truth, they want something to rationalize their hate.

This kind of scum threatens our very society.

If McCain wants to show that he means it, he orders a stop to campaign ads that accuse Obama of being friendly to terrorists.

Anything else is just sending a mixed message, and leaves him culpable for this disgusting, anti-American behavior.

There were a lot of people earlier in the thread giving daps to Mccain but personally I don't see it. Responding to the crazies at your rally should be expected not lauded. And if he and Palin and his wife weren't tossing out all those "Who is Barack Obama and do we know him" tactics then it would be far less prevalent in the first place. Hillary fell into the same trap herself towards the end of her primary run and I didn't like it then either even though I like Hillary and I don't like it now.

Ventrue

JB1981 said:
So this is an email my oldest brother sent to me today. Honestly, I love my brother.... I have three brothers and I'm closest with this one, but this election has driven him off the edge. He is so bought. He is so gone. I almost feel like I don't even know him after reading this. Please don't make personal attacks against my brother.

You should mention that the Manchurian candidate was a film about a prisoner of war in Asia who ran for President. :lol

EDIT: You should also tell him that the Emperor was not Anakin's father.

I don't think he should use film metaphors. :lol

TDG

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
WTF?! Where did this stuff crop up from (and how did I miss it)? Who really thinks American Slavery and the American Draft were somehow equivalent?

Are you forgetting Conscientious Objector status? Or that if you didn't want to be drafted, all you faced was a jail term?

No slaves' lives were far worse than soldiers' lives. Let's not even go there.

Edit: ahh JayDubya started this. It figures.
I was mostly playing devil's advocate, but I'm not when I say: being drafted into the military is a form of slavery, and while slaves' lives were worse than soldiers' lives, soldiers were forced into a far more dangerous situation than slaves.

Zefah said:
Exactly. People are still buying into the war-time propaganda about the Japanese. To say they wouldn't surrender without the atom bomb is just ridiculous. There was talk about surrender before the atom bomb. If you really look at those months leading up to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki it becomes apparent that the United States really wanted to use the atom bomb on Japan and was deliberately delaying negotiations and talks of surrender with the Japanese in order to allow them enough time to finish development of the bomb.
Yep.

Xisiqomelir

worldrunover said:
Apparently the firing was within her right but the badgering leading up to the firing was unethical. Doesn't sound like anything will happen to her.

Man, that is such bullshit. She needs to go to Ladies' Pen and bunk with Big Bertha for a few years.

Brannon

In fact, the email should be like this...

You know... The Manchurian Candidate was about a prisoner of war.

In Asia.

Who ran for President.

*insert McCain.jpg here*

Just sayin...

It would be so excellent.

thefit

worldrunover said:
Apparently the firing was within her right but the badgering leading up to the firing was unethical. Doesn't sound like anything will happen to her.

I think that means that she had the power to fire him but she had to have a good reason. When it comes to government jobs you better have a damn good reason to can someone and not just because you don't like them. Government doesn't like getting taken to court for unlawful termination, doesn't look good on paper.

Jonm1010 said:
Thats awesome, never saw that.

Eh, I wanna see Barack go right before I vote.

And how awesome would it be if he were an unlockable character in the next installment of NBA Street or something? Might fuel the celebrity narrative, but he'd be in office by then.

GhaleonEB

Kind of ironic that the specific law she broke was about "violating the public trust" (according to the talking heads on MSNBC). Makes for a tasty sound bite, and whips the entire theme of the week - who is Barack Obama and can he be trusted?! - around on Palin/McCain.

TDG

Banned
Well say it ain't so, Sarah! I gotta say, nearly overstepping your authority to fire a state trooper because of family issues doesn't sound like small-government, Wasilla Main Street values to me!

LCfiner

thefit said:
I think that means that she had the power to fire him but she had to have a good reason. When it comes to government jobs you better have a damn good reason to can someone and not just because you don't like them. Government doesn't like getting taken to court for unlawful termination, doesn't look good on paper.

actually. no. she didn't need any reason to fire the commissioner. that position can be hired and fired by the governor with no explanation required.

it was the antics beforehand, where she and her husband petitioned to get Wooten fired, that were an abuse of her power.

Are any philly-area GAFers going to any of the Obama events tomorrow? there's four (!) and I can't make up my damn mind which one(s) to show up to

Ventrue said:
You should mention that the Manchurian candidate was a film about a prisoner of war in Asia who ran for President. :lol

How do we know that John McCain wasn't programmed in the Hanoi Hilton? How do we know that he isn't a sleeper cell, brainwashed to destroy our great nation once reaching the highest office in the land?

Do we really know John McCain?

Sarah Palin to TDG: In Wasilla Main Street, TDG, it's about family! You have to support your family! I supported Todd, and my kids, by letting them remove this trooper. You have to understand, when your family is threatened, you do what you have to do to stop the harm. If it involves doing something improper, you have to understand, I'm a maverick, and this is just more proof of my maverickiness.

Ventrue said:
And the buying up of all the mortgages? It is clear that McCain has become a communist. :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Manmademan said:
Are any philly-area GAFers going to any of the Obama events tomorrow? there's four (!) and I can't make up my damn mind which one(s) to show up to
Got those e-mails, but my wife and I are going down to Virginia this weekend :/

Talk about shit timing, but I'm guessing he'll be back for sure before the election.

Haunted

camineet said:
The McCain camp is secretly working to get Obama elected. That's all i can think of at this point :lol
Watching the McCain campaign in the last few weeks... man.

Burnoutcrash.gif

Ventrue said:
EDIT: You should also tell him that the Emperor was not Anakin's father.

I don't think he should use film metaphors. :lol
Well, in the original draft of Revenge of the Sith's script, Palpatine was going to reveal that Anakin's "virgin birth" was a result of Palpatine using the Force to unnaturally create life, even with the line, "You could say that... I am your father." They cut it out though.

TDG

Banned
Sirpopopop said:
Sarah Palin to TDG: In Wasilla Main Street, TDG, it's about family! You have to support your family! I supported Todd, and my kids, by letting them remove this trooper. You have to understand, when your family is threatened, you do what you have to do to stop the harm. If it involves doing something improper, you have to understand, I'm a maverick, and this is just more proof of my maverickiness.
:lol

GhaleonEB

Amir0x said:
if he somehow still manages to come back and win

seinfeldimdonehere.gif
fuckthisshit.gif
I find it remarkable that after three straight weeks of Obama pulling ahead, today he has his biggest lead to date by any measure. And this hasn't even reverberated yet. If McCain comes back and wins it will be an unprecedented historic event.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
is the mccain camp going to use this farrakahn stuff? i don't think he's the devil like most middle americans, but he's got to know that giving the neocons ammunition so late in the game isn't the best move, right?

hopefully it'll just be another lost news item in the financial tides.

Fox318

GhaleonEB said:
I find it remarkable that after three straight weeks of Obama pulling ahead, today he has his biggest lead to date by any measure. And this hasn't even reverberated yet. If McCain comes back and wins it will be an unprecedented historic event.
Don't get too happy the polls could be wrong. They were for Obama in New Hampshire.

RubxQub said:
Got those e-mails, but my wife and I are going down to Virginia this weekend :/

Talk about shit timing, but I'm guessing he'll be back for sure before the election.

Where is the schedule and locations for the events?

Found them (was looking in the wrong place):

Progress Plaza

Progress Plaza
1501 N. Broad Street
Gates Open: 6:15 a.m.
Program Begins: 8:15 a.m.
Mayfair Diner

Mayfair Diner
7373 Frankford Avenue
Gates Open: 7:15 a.m.
Program Begins: 9:30 a.m.
Vernon Park

Vernon Park
5789 Germantown Avenue
between E. Chelton Avenue and W. Rittenhouse Street
Gates Open: 9:00 a.m.
Program Begins: 11:15 a.m.
South 52nd Street
and Locust Street

Intersection of South 52nd Street and Locust Street
Public entrance: Spruce Street
Gates Open: 11:00 a.m.
Program Begins: 1:10 p.m.

GhaleonEB

mattiewheels said:
is the mccain camp going to use this farrakahn stuff? i don't think he's the devil like most middle americans, but he's got to know that giving the neocons ammunition so late in the game isn't the best move, right?

What?
Fox318 said:
Don't get too happy the polls could be wrong. They were for Obama in New Hampshire.
Um.

Tamanon

Banned
mattiewheels said:

What Farrakhan stuff? I can't see anything that he could possibly use involving Farrakhan that wouldn't involve the biggests backlash in the history of lashing back.

Haunted

Amir0x said:
if he somehow still manages to come back and win

seinfeldimdonehere.gif
fuckthisshit.gif
I don't see how he could.

Maybe if Bin Laden sends another video, thanking his friend Barack or something. Maybe.

edit: still, don't get complacent! Keep pushing back, keep up that ground game, do not relent., It's that steady work that is going to win Obama the election.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
GhaleonEB said:

Unprecedented rig job, you mean.

Speevy

Banned
Even if/when Obama wins, he's not going to win by this huge margin these polls are indicating.

America isn't that motivated.

Manmademan said:
I got an ad when I was on campus yesterday but no one wants to get up early to go with me. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom