• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

Verano said:
Is this old??

Camera captures White dude showing off Obama Monkey Doll.

Obama-Monkey_9572f.jpg
yea theres a video a couple pages back.
this is the first I've heard the term 'malkinite bloggers'

As for the McCain campaign's latest faux outrage, this will be just a weekend story. All eyes will be back on the stock market come Monday.

The Obama campaign just needs to be careful not to advance the story at all during the Sunday talk shows. Bill Burton's statement should be the last word on th subject by the Obama campaign. They also should tell John Lewis to clam up tomorrow.

If the McCain campaign keeps blabbering about it tomorrow without there being any opposition, the story will just go away. Plus as stated before John Lewis isn't even an official campaign surrogate. He's just a supporter, so it's not going to get too much mileage.

ronito

JB1981 said:
Someone explain to me how Obama is going to tax capital gains. My brother is an accountant and claims he is going to get taxed at 25%. For this reason and this reason alone, he is not voting for Obama. I know NOTHING about taxes.
Hey screw your brother and his freaking job. I get taxed at over 30% and he's complaining that his taxes might get taxes at 25%? He can die in fire.

Tamanon

Banned
The Chosen One said:
As for the McCain campaign's latest faux outrage, this will be just a weekend story. All eyes will be back on the stock market come Monday.

The Obama campaign just needs to be careful not to advance the story at all during the Sunday talk shows. Bill Burton's statement should be the last word on th subject by the Obama campaign. They also should tell John Lewis to clam up tomorrow.

If the McCain campaign keeps blabbering about it tomorrow without there being any opposition, the story will just go away. Plus as stated before John Lewis isn't even an official campaign surrogate. He's just a supporter, so it's not going to get too much mileage.

Plus people might start bringing up that McCain said John Lewis was one of the wisest men he knew and someone he'd take advice from in his Saddleback panderfest!

numble

The Chosen One said:

He's given Obama-organized surrogate speeches in at least Nevada, so I think he counts as a surrogate.

JB1981

Cyan said:
Unless your bro makes more than $250k, he's ok. He's probably voting McCain for other reasons, and making excuses so as not to get into arguments with you.

Nah, he's pretty myopic. He says, "All I want to know is who wants more out of my pocket and that's who I'm voting for."

Schlep

I'm curious from the Philly people. 1) Did Palin piss off a lot of people tonight by dropping the puck to (apparently) incredibly loud music to drown out the boo's, and 2) Are the Flyers now cursed for the year? :lol

The Chosen One said:
All eyes will be back on the stock market come Monday.

Damn, was just about to make the same comment. :lol
I'm sure some of the better companies are gonna do some big stock buybacks while their stock is low & to try to boost confidence.

Anyways, i can't wait for the debate.

greepoman

JB1981 said:
Nah, he's pretty myopic. He says, "All I want to know is who wants more out of my pocket and that's who I'm voting for."

Well if we go into a depression he might not have to worry about money coming out of his pocket because there's a good chance he could be unemployed.

Also what good does lower taxes for you do if inflation cancels out any extra money you get?

Trakdown

Oh, Jesus. Per Fox News:

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/10/11/palin-drops-puck-at-flyers-game-receives-mixed-reaction/
Fox News said:
A carpet was laid down and Palin, dressed in a beige trench, walked on to the ice joined by her daughters Willow and Piper. The GOP Vice-Presidential nominee said at an earlier fundraiser that she would stop some of the booing from the rowdy Philadelphia fans by putting her seven year old daughter, Piper in a Flyers jersey. She said, "How dare they boo Piper!"

Not a facepalm.gif big enough.

As governor, Palin at times bonds church and state

By GARANCE BURKE
Associated Press Writer

WASILLA, Alaska (AP) -- The camera closes in on Sarah Palin speaking to young missionaries, vowing from the pulpit to do her part to implement God's will from the governor's office.

What she didn't tell worshippers gathered at the Wasilla Assembly of God church in her hometown was that her appearance that day came courtesy of Alaskan taxpayers, who picked up the $639.50 tab for her airplane tickets and per diem fees.

An Associated Press review of the Republican vice presidential candidate's record as mayor and governor reveals her use of elected office to promote religious causes, sometimes at taxpayer expense and in ways that blur the line between church and state.

Since she took state office in late 2006, the governor and her family have spent more than $13,000 in taxpayer funds to attend at least 10 religious events and meetings with Christian pastors, including Franklin Graham, the son of evangelical preacher Billy Graham, records show.

Palin was baptized Roman Catholic as a newborn and baptized again in a Pentecostal Assemblies of God church when she was a teenager. She has worshipped at a nondenominational Bible church since 2002, opposes abortion even in cases of rape and incest and supports classroom discussions about creationism.

Since she was named as John McCain's running mate, Palin's deep faith and support for traditional moral values have rallied conservative voters who initially appeared reluctant to back his campaign.

On a weekend trip from the capital in June, a minister from the Wasilla Assembly of God blessed Palin and Lt. Gov Sean Parnell before a crowd gathered for the "One Lord Sunday" event at the town's hockey rink. Later in the day, she addressed the budding missionaries at her former church.

"As I'm doing my job, let's strike this deal. Your job is going be to be out there, reaching the people - (the) hurting people - throughout Alaska," she told students graduating from the church's Masters Commission program. "We can work together to make sure God's will be done here."

A spokeswoman for the McCain-Palin campaign, Maria Comella, said the state paid for Palin's travel and meals on that trip, and for other meetings with Christian groups, because she and her family were invited in their official capacity as Alaska's first family. Parnell did not charge the state a per diem or ask to be reimbursed for travel expenses that day.

"I understand the per diem policy is, I can claim it if I am away from my residence for 12 hours or more. And Anchorage is where my residence is and I'm based from. And this trip took about four hours of driving time and time at the event, so I did not claim per diem for this one," Parnell told the AP.

Palin and her family billed the state $3,022 for the cost of attending Christian gatherings exclusively, including visits to the Assembly of God here and to the congregation they attend in Juneau, according to expense reports reviewed by the AP.

Experts say those trips fall into an ethically gray area, since Democrats and Republicans alike often visit religious venues for personal and official reasons.

J. Brent Walker, who runs a Washington, D.C.-based group that advocates for church-state separation, said based on a reporter's account, Palin's June excursion raised questions.

"Politicians are entitled to freely exercise their religion while in office, but ethically if not legally that part of her trip ought to not be charged to taxpayers," said Walker, executive director of the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty. "It's still fundamentally a religious and spiritual experience she is having."

The Palins billed the state an additional $10,094 in expenses for other multi-day trips that included worship services or religiously themed events, but also involved substantial state business, including the governor's inaugural ball and an oil and gas conference in New Orleans.

Palin also submitted $998 in expenses for a June trip to Anchorage that included a bill signing at Congregation Beth Shalom synagogue, the only non-Christian house of worship she has visited since taking office, according to the McCain campaign.

In response to an AP request, Comella provided a list showing that since January 2007 the governor had attended 25 "faith-based events," including funerals and community meetings held at churches. Many did not appear on the governor's schedule or her travel records.

Palin has said publicly her personal opinions don't "bleed on over into policies."

Still, after the AP reported the governor had accepted tainted donations during her 2006 campaign, she announced she would donate the $2,100 to three charities, including an Anchorage nonprofit aimed at "sharing God's love" to dissuade young women from having abortions.

An AP review of her time as mayor, from late 1996 to 2002, also reveals a commingling of church and state.

Records of her mayoral correspondence show that Palin worked arduously to organize a day of prayer at city hall. She said that with local ministers' help, Wasilla - a city of 7,000 an hour's drive north of Anchorage - could become "a light, or a refuge for others in Alaska and America."

"What a blessing that the Lord has already put into place the Christian leaders, even though I know it's all through the grace of God," she wrote in March 2000 to her former pastor. She thanked him for the loan of a video featuring a Kenyan preacher who later would pray for her protection from witchcraft as she sought higher office.

In that same period, she also joined a grass-roots, faith-based movement to stop the local hospital from performing abortions, a fight that ultimately lost before the Alaska Supreme Court.

Palin's former church and other evangelical denominations were instrumental in ousting members of Valley Hospital's board who supported abortion rights - including the governor's mother-in-law, Faye Palin.

Alaska Right to Life Director Karen Lewis, who led the campaign, said Palin wasn't a leader in the movement initially. But by 1997, after she had been elected mayor, Palin joined a hospital board to make sure the abortion ban held while the courts considered whether the ban was legal, Lewis said.

"We kept pro-life people like Sarah on the association board to ensure children of the womb would be protected," Lewis said. "She's made up of this great fiber of high morals and godly character, and yet she's fearless. She's someone you can depend on to carry the water."

In November 2007, the Alaska Supreme Court ruled that because the hospital received more than $10 million in public funds it was "quasi-public" and couldn't forbid legal abortions.

Comella said Palin joined the hospital's broader association in the mid-1990s. Records show she was elected to the nonprofit's board in 2000.

Ties among those active at the time still run deep: In November, Palin was a keynote speaker at Lewis' "Proudly Pro-Life Dinner" in Anchorage, and the governor billed taxpayers a $60 per diem fee for her work that day.

Palin also is one of just two governors who channeled federal money to support religious groups through a state agency, Alaska's Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives. Palin has made it a priority to unite faith communities, local nonprofits and government to serve the needy, bringing her high marks - and $500,000 - from the Bush administration.

In fiscal year 2008, Alaska was one of only four states to receive $500,000 in federal grant money from the national initiative.

"The governor has a healthy appreciation for faith-based groups that serve Alaskans in need," said Jay Hein, who until recently directed national faith-based initiatives at the White House. "The grant speaks to their organizational strength, and the dynamism of Alaska's operation."

Several Catholic and Christian charities received funding, including $20,000 for a Fairbanks homeless shelter that views itself as a "stable door of evangelism and Christian service" and $36,000 for a drop-in center at an Anchorage mall that seeks to demonstrate "the unconditional love of Jesus to teenagers."

The state ensures all faith-based groups keep a strict separation between their work in the community and their prayer services to ensure recipients don't feel coerced, said Tara Horton, a special assistant to the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services. Though staffers reached out to nonprofits and religious groups of many faiths, mostly Christian organizations applied for funding, she said.

In June, when Alaska legislators decided to cut $712,000 in state support for the office, Parnell sent lawmakers an urgent letter asking them to put it back in the budget. A small portion of state funding was later restored.

"Gov. Palin is motivated by the needs out there, and faith-based and community initiatives are a great way to do that," Parnell said. "It matters not to state government what religion people belong to, so long as they are serving the public and the money they receive is used appropriately."

Still, a state worker who directs an Anchorage-based group that advocates for church-state separation, Lloyd Eggan, said Palin's administration hasn't done enough to assure voters that government money doesn't support ministry.

"That sort of thing is exactly what courts have said is barred by the First Amendment," Eggan said.

Schlep

A carpet was laid down and Palin, dressed in a beige trench, walked on to the ice joined by her daughters Willow and Piper. The GOP Vice-Presidential nominee said at an earlier fundraiser that she would stop some of the booing from the rowdy Philadelphia fans by putting her seven year old daughter, Piper in a Flyers jersey. She said, "How dare they boo Piper!"

Kids should not be brought into politics, how dare you Obama and liberal media...oh wait.

LCfiner

An Associated Press review of the Republican vice presidential candidate's record as mayor and governor reveals her use of elected office to promote religious causes, sometimes at taxpayer expense and in ways that blur the line between church and state.

I hate this woman and everything she chooses to be :(

If we never hear from her again after Nov 4, I'll be forever grateful.

and I'm not even an American. it just kills me seeing her in the news

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stoney Mason said:
I made a thread about this early in the primaries when Republicans were upset there was no strong fundie who was doing well. I still don't buy it. Nobody talks more shit than fundamentalists but when push comes to shove they always tow the line. It's hard for me to imagine they would have the backbone now to carve up their party in half.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8336741#post8336741
It's not happening. It violates Duverger's law.

greepoman

Maybe Bush is smarter than we thought. It's commonly known that minorities will be the majority in like 30-40 years with current trends.

So what's the best way to stop that? Make the US undesirable to come to. Immigrants already here might be inclined to go back home to the country where they were born. Well we're definitely headed in that direction :lol

Y2Kev said:
It's not happening. It violates Duverger's law.

Well look at the big elitist college boy throwing around big words!

Interesting. I had never heard the term before although I've heard the logic behind it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stoney Mason said:
Well look at the big elitist college boy throwing around big words!

Interesting. I had never heard the term before although I've heard the logic behind it.
Thought I'd spice up the thread with some SMD political theory. Y'all.

Trakdown

Aaron Strife said:
Not only is Palin a horrible mother for using her daughter to fuel her own agenda, but also

Who the fuck names their kid Piper :lol

The same person who names their kids Trig and Track.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
maximum360 said:
In a stunning turn of events Thursday, the Son of God endorsed Barack Obama for President while rejecting and distancing himself from presumptive Republican nominee John McCain.

Outside an Applebee's off the New Jersey Turnpike in Paramus yesterday, Jesus Christ told reporters, "Look, it's been a very divisive primary season between Barack and Hillary. I thought my support would aid the healing process and help unify the Democrats."

Asked if he was a registered Democrat, Jesus replied, "I'm actually registered with the Green Party. But no amount of faith and prayer will get their candidate elected." Christ clarified, "I perform miracles, but there are limits."

Why come out against John McCain?

"You don't have to be the Son of God to prophecy McCain wants to carry out Bush's third term," said Jesus, wearing a flag pin affixed to his traditional white robe. "Incidentally, maybe one of you guys can tell David Brooks there isn't a salad bar at Applebee's. Schmuck."

Later in the day, before Jesus took the stage to endorse the Illinois senator at a campaign rally in Arlington, VA, Obama said, "Well, I'm certainly not perfect, and I won't be a perfect president. Michelle has told me throughout the primary season, "'You're not the Second Coming, Barack.' And though she's right, I am proud and honored to tell you today that Jesus is by my side in this campaign for the White House. And I'm not speaking figuratively, Arlington. Ladies and gentlemen, all the way from the celestial realm, the Prince of Peace, the Mack Daddy of Nazareth, the original change agent - you know him, you love him, many of y'all even pray to him - let's give it up for Je-suuuuuuus Christ!"

Jesus plans to stump for Obama throughout the Bible Belt and other religious hotspots across America. But Obama campaign manager David Plouffe was quick to tamp down the sudden flurry of rumors about an Obama/Christ ticket.

"Of course we're thrilled to have the support of Jesus," says Plouffe. "And he would certainly make anyone's vice-presidential shortlist. But we've promised not to say anymore on the subject until we announce Barack's running mate."

On last night's Special Report with Brit Hume, Karl Rove, whom Jesus referred to as "Satan Lite" at the Arlington rally, told Hume, "We know Jesus is a very recognizable brand. But he has no prior campaign experience. So the jury's still out on his impact. How is Christ on the stump? He may be a skilled shepherd, but does he have that fire in the belly for the rough and tumble of campaigning? As my father used to say, Brit, just because you can turn water into wine, it doesn't mean you can build a birdhouse."

But on MSNBC's Countdown, Rachel Maddow pointed out some specific benefits of Jesus' direct support and counsel. "Well, for one thing, Obama doesn't have to worry about finding a new church to join until after the fall campaign. What will be really troublesome for McCain and the GOP, though, is they can't have it both ways. The can't question Obama's faith in Jesus Christ while the Son of God is literally riding shotgun on the 'Yes We Can' express."

Speaking with CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer on The Situation Room, Candi Crowley cautioned that the big endorsement may backfire.

"In the end, Wolf, this may turn out to hurt the Illinois senator more than it helps him. We know Barack Obama is already vulnerable on national security. So I'm not sure how having the blessing of a guy who coined the phrase 'turn the other cheek' is only going to help him," explained Crowley. "And you can bet that Republicans will be combing through Jesus' past sermons, which include, just for starters, not only extreme preaching of non-violence but also impassioned instruction to, and I'm quoting Matthew 5:44, Wolf, 'Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.' Now, in the middle of the war on terror, it's hard to see how McCain won't hammer Obama on this."

Commenting on The O'Reilly Factor, host Bill O'Reilly said, "Look, we all know that Jesus means well. He always has and that's who he is. Fine. But here in the no-spin zone, we also can't ignore the facts. And the truth is, this guy was a radical going back to his original days on Earth. A hippie and an anarchist who couldn't hold down a job. Jesus Christ, again, a fine lord and savior. I give him full credit for that. But this guy single-handedly created the welfare state and he's the prince of appeasement. Trust me, Neville Chamberlain ain't got nothing on Jesus."

Whatever impact the endorsement might have, the White House was not happy about it.

Asked about Jesus' rejection of McCain and support for Obama, President Bush said, "That's, uh, just not the Jesus I know. It's really heart-breaking. In other words, I was once born again. Okay? And, uh, now I'm feeling a little unborn."

White House press secretary Dana Perino echoed the president's sentiments during this afternoon's press conference.

"Well, it's puzzling and sad. This is not the Jesus we know." Perino added, "And, frankly, his actions are not consistent with the guidance he's given us these past seven and a half years in the White House. Invade Iraq. Tap your phones. Torture's fine. Don't listen to the American people or the rest of the world. So now, after all this time, he's suddenly not George Bush's personal Jesus. I'm not buying it. And neither should you. I think he's done grave damage to his credibility in the mind of most Americans."

Jesus also dropped by The Late Show with David Letterman to read "Top Ten Reasons I'm Not Endorsing John McCain," which included: "Every time I see that blinky eye flutter, I can't help but think, 'Helter Skelter! Helter Skelter!'" "Bomb-bomb-bomb, bomb-bomb, Iran." "Three words: Secretary of Peace." "He is Bush on steroids, with a prostate the size of Texas." "His middle name is Sydney." "He's Dr. Strangelove without the German accent and advanced degrees." And the number one reason? "He called his wife a cunt."

A new 527 ad hit the networks this morning, attacking Obama's latest endorsement:

Code:
VISUAL: Series of photoshopped pictures of Barack Obama and Jesus Christ gambling in Atlantic City.

VOICE-OVER: He calls himself the Son of God. But who really is Jesus Christ? 

Born to an out-of-wedlock mother and absentee father, Jesus was a direct product of the welfare state and later became a drain on the occupying Roman Empire. 

Barack Obama says he's proud to have Jesus by his side. Maybe that's because Barack Obama would've fit right in with Jesus' ultra-liberal, sandal-wearing, appeasing flock or those Ivy League, latte-drinking Wise Men. 

While John McCain is committed to winning the war in Iraq even if he has to kill every last Iraqi to do it and nuke Iran back to BC, Obama's closest spiritual advisor, Jesus Christ, continues to preach, "All they that take the sword shall perish by the sword." 

Tell that to Ahmadinejad, Jesus. 

Barack Hussein Obama. Jesus H. Christ. Two appeasers in a pod.

Don't roll the dice with our national security. 

This message was paid for by Swift Boat Clergymen for Truth.

Charlie Crist, the Republican Florida governor who's often mentioned as a possible running mate for John McCain and is rumored to have dropped the "h" in his last name to avoid unfavorable comparisons to Christ, called Obama's acceptance of Jesus' endorsement "the most unholy example of political pandering" and Jesus "a flip-flopping, frankincense-and-myrrh-tea-sipping elitist."

"The fact is, there are many things we don't know about Jesus. Things we're supposed to take on nothing but faith," charged Crist. "We do know, however, that he came to the aid of prostitutes, drug addicts and beggars - the worst of society. And that he healed leapers, the blind, epileptics, a paralytic, a man with dropsy, cast out demons entering a herd of swine, and raised Lazarus from the dead. All well and good, until you consider he had no degree in medicine and no professional training. Which really calls into question his judgment. I call on Senator Obama to denounce Jesus immediately."

Roland Martin has good intentions but his efforts tend to come of as myopic in discussion with the cnn panel. The best surrogate is one who can be objective and yet still support the candidate. He comes off as not having an objective bone in his body at times.

M3wThr33

Banned
Higgy said:
"Vain" is an adjective describing selfish-appeal of oneself.
"Vein" is anything that transfers something.

speculawyer said:
A person that names her kid after a snowmobile.

No, I am not kidding.

http://www.mahalo.com/Piper_Palin

While on the Palin-bashing train, is anyone concerned that she basically is adopting "Hockey Mom" as a description? That's a CANADIAN term of an American word. Granted, I understand why Alaska would use it, but it's not an American word, for a party so strongly focused on proving Obama is against America.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Not that I think it's going to make a huge difference, but in a place where Bush/Cheney '04 bumper stickers are still rampant (central Texas), I've seen more Obama stickers and yard signs around than McCain stickers and signs. Texas will still go red obviously, but the fact that Obama has this big of a following in the buckle of the bible belt is very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom