• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trurl

Banned
Amir0x said:
He got Zogby +4 Obama and Rasmussen +5 Obama polls up, he really is looking anywhere for his own personal dose of Hopium. He only gets the bootleg shit though, it's cut up with some nasty crap. His Hopium is mixed with a pinch of William Ayers and Sarah Palin. I wouldn't wanna snort that.
I wouldn't either. :lol

He has to snort it. Or at least snort something like it. I can forgive the McCain campaign for snorting it, people not in the campaign come off as pretty crazy when they do a few lines, though. eg. Hannity, Coulter, Limbaugh.

Arde5643

XxenobladerxX said:
"The economy has hurt us a little bit in the last week or two, but in the last few days we've seen it come back up because they want experience, they want knowledge and they want vision. We'll give that to America." - John McCain

/facepalm
Although the quote is meant in reference to his campaign, I consider this a minor gaffe since the media will most likely try to frame this in the context of ol' doddering McCain out of touch with main street, which pretty much has really hurt his campaign.

So, is John McCain subconsciously trying to fail his own campain?

Shiggie

you guys might enjoy this.
political-pictures-john-mccain-officer-black-man-stole-thunder.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
MoxManiac said:
So Mccain is bragging that he's going to win pres debate number four, is he? This will be good!

He says he's gonna kick "his behind"!

I think you know the saying about what happens when a wild animal is trapped against a wall.

Haunted

I had a post ready and written up and everything how the only thing that could keep Obama out of the white house would be a media narrative that goes something like "it's over already, you don't need to vote anymore"...

But then I thought about it, and it wasn't that likely, even in full Chicken Little mode. The polls are looking so good, the Bradley Effect has disappeared over the last couple years, that narrative would depress the turnout on both sides... I just don't see it.

another proof obama's numbers might be going down

So far its Gallup , Hotline, Rasmussen and Zogby, all of these have the numbers closing in

ZOgby Monday

Obama 48 (-1)
McCain 45 (Even)

Given Rasmussen's LV screen (still miffed at the way they are keeping in post-GOP convention partisan ID as part of their tracker, it's garbage) , that seems about right. Obama's lead is simply, from what we can tell, returning to the his mean of +5-+8 points.

Zogby Monday is O 48, M 44.

If Obama's numbers really are going down, you'll need about 3-4 days or so of motion to really see it. All we got today was a lot of float in the MOE, and Zogby's usual nuttery.

artredis1980 said:

So far its Gallup , Hotline, Rasmussen and Zogby, all of these have the numbers closing in

ZOgby Monday

Obama 48 (-1)
McCain 45 (Even)

It's the weekend. Obama always polls worse on the weekend.

GhaleonEB

artredis1980 said:

ZOgby Monday

Obama 48 (-1)
McCain 45 (Even)
When did Matt Drudge get approved? And why?

That ABC poll is absolutely brutal.

It also shows how ineffectual Palin has been for the ticket. Obama is leading among women by 18 points and the vast vast majority of Hilary voters have come home. The Republican base isn't completely energized either. It was initially after the Palin pick, but now many of the economic and intellectual conservatives are much more subdued in their support. Right now it's only the social conservatives who are still energized. But also Palin had the effect of energizing the far left.

Even worse, Palin forced the McCain campaign to drop their "experience" attack on Obama. Even this ABC poll still shows that lack of experience is Obama's biggest vulnerability. I think it's been understated just how foolish this was of McCain. He threw away his strongest political card, for what? Everybody knows this isn't a base election. At least not a republican base election... I think he was counting on Palin pulling in significant numbers of women. Too bad Palin ended up being a fish out of water and embarrassment for all working women. McCain might have known this if he had talked to her for more than 5 minutes before picking her as VP.

Sharp

Are you all being sarcastic again, or actually panicking that Obama's only like +7 vs. +8 in the aggregate? I already got caught out by the former like three fucking times.

The Chosen One said:
That ABC poll is absolutely brutal.

It also shows how ineffectual Palin has been for the ticket. Obama is leading among women by 18 points and the vast vast majority of Hilary voters have come home. The Republican base isn't completely energized either. It was initially after the Palin pick, but now many of the economic and intellectual conservatives are much more subdued in their support. Right now it's only the social conservatives who are still energized. But also Palin had the effect of energizing the far left.

Even worse, Palin forced the McCain campaign to drop their "experience" attack on Obama. Even this ABC poll still shows that lack of experience is Obama's biggest vulnerability. I think it's been understated just how foolish this was of McCain. He threw away his strongest political card, for what? Everybody knows this isn't a base election. At least not a republican base election... I think he was counting on Palin pulling in significant numbers of women. Too bad Palin ended up being a fish out of water and embarrassment for all working women. McCain might have known this if he had talked to her for more than 5 minutes before picking her as VP.

Good post... excellent summary of the palin pick.

Sharp said:
Are you all being sarcastic again, or actually panicking that Obama's only like +7 vs. +8 in the aggregate? I already got caught out by the former like three fucking times.

Obama needs atleast 7 points to make sure whatever bradley effect might come to pass, it does not matter come election day

Sharp

Fragamemnon said:
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/in...OKEN=16361940&jsessionid=883050f72b583c1a3856

North Dakota, LV (606 voters), University of Minnesota , 10/6-10/8

Obama - 45
McCain - 43

lolz

haha NORTH DAKOTA
Small sample size + librul university, we can dismiss these results.
artredis1980 said:
Obama needs atleast 7 points to make sure whatever bradley effect might come to pass, it does not matter come election day
I have news for you dude, the Bradley effect was never that big and Obama will not be leading by seven points on election day even if it's a blowout.

artredis1980 said:

I'm sure if McCain was down 10 points Obama would need at least 10 points to counter the Bradley Effect! It's like the magical sliding scale of electoral math for conservatives to cling to.

The Chosen One said:

i dunno about that. (from what i've seen) they're still going on the experience argument pretty hard. of course, it's ridiculous and hypocritcal, but in their worldview palin is somehow lightyears more experienced than community organizer obama could ever hope to be.

and the women vote thing, IMO that's not exactly why palin was picked. of course it helped but i think mccain wanted to pick up on the momentum of there being a first [fill in demographic here] president/vice president.

Sharp said:

There is a bit of concern that some of the more "conservative" (By conservative I mean party ID ratio rather than politically) pollsters have the race tightening a bit like Gallup, Rasmussen (let's ignore Zogby for the mean time). Panicking isn't the right word and is overstating it. It's too early obviously to get in a tizzy when these polls obviously have margin of error and noise but it's also fair to be realistic and keep an open mind and eye for trends.

Sharp said:
Small sample size + librul university, we can dismiss these results.

I have news for you dude, the Bradley effect was never that big and Obama will not be leading by seven points on election day even if it's a blowout.

thats true but its happened to dean, its happened to kerry vs Bush in 2004, its happened to Gore and its happened to Obama in Texas and Ohio when he had a lock on it in all the polls. I dont want it to happen but it has happened before! Against Hillary Obama ALWAYS lost the undecided block, I dont want it to happen to Obama again

devilhawk

artredis1980 said:
I think the numbers will probably stabilize to 4 to 6 points. That is really a total guess. I think Obama will be fine on election day though I don't think every single battle state will go blue. I am thinking that a state like Missouri or North Carolina, which is currently polling well for Obama will go red in the end as first thought. I said right after the Palin-Biden debate that numbers wouldn't continue to rise for Obama as drastically as they were that week. I also said they would stabilize, and that is what is happening more or less.

GhaleonEB

Stoney Mason said:
There is a bit of concern that some of the more "conservative" (By conservative I mean party ID ratio rather than politically) pollsters have the race tightening a bit like Gallup, Rasmussen (let's ignore Zogby for the mean time). Panicking isn't the right word and is overstating it. It's too early obviously to get in a tizzy when these polls obviously have margin of error and noise but it's also fair to be realistic and keep an open mind and eye for trends.
I think it's a natural that both Gallup and Rasmussen would pull down from their highs of 11 and 8, respectively. And just two days ago. +5 is where Rasmussen was at. This is noise, not a trend.

It's also worth noting that elections tend to close down as they come to the end, though I'm not at all convinced that's happening yet. I look at things more week over week, not daily (especially over the weekend). It's worth noting that the 538 numbers we fap to every day have a built-in assumption that the race closes down about three points from where it is right now. And Obama still wins in that blowout.

Also: remember the Politico hyping up new McCain economic proposals two days in a row?

Nevermind.

Despite signals that Senator John McCain would have new prescriptions for the economic crisis after a weekend of meetings, his campaign said Sunday that Mr. McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, would not have any more proposals this week unless developments call for some.

The signs of internal confusion came as the campaign was under pressure from state party leaders to sharpen his message on the economy and at least blunt the advantage that Democrats traditionally have on the issue in hard times. Republicans have grown fretful as Senator Barack Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee, has edged ahead in polls three weeks before the election, while Mr. McCain has veered between ill-received economic plans and attacks on Mr. Obama's character.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/13/us/politics/13plan.html?ref=politics&pagewanted=print

WTF. "Unless developments call for some"? I shudder to think what those developments might be. :lol

BTW, that ND poll had a polling point back in September and it was right where R2K and Rasmussen were. Hopefully someone else besides the Notorious A.R.G. will go in the field and give us another polling point, it, like the suddenly-narrow Georgia, was one of the two states that Obama pulled out of early on after the RNC/Palin pick.

GhaleonEB said:

I think it's a natural that both Gallup and Rasmussen would pull down from their highs of 11 and 8, respectively. And just two days ago. +5 is where Rasmussen was at. This is noise, not a trend.

It's also worth noting that elections tend to close down as the come to the end, though I'm not at all convinced that's happening yet. I look at things more week over week, not daily (especially over the weekend). It's worth noting that the 538 numbers we fap to every day have a built-in assumption that the race closes down about three points from where it is right now. And Obama still wins in that blowout.

Also: remember the Politico hyping up new McCain economic proposals two days in a row?

Nevermind.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/13/us/politics/13plan.html?ref=politics&pagewanted=print

WTF. "Unless developments call for some"? I shudder to think what those developments might be. :lol
This campaign is a fucking joke..

Also,ENOUGH about the Bradley effect. ENOUGH.

Tamanon

Banned
Cloudy said:
I bet we can trace McCain's freefall in the polls to the Couric interview..

It was certainly ill-timed, since it came right around the time the banking house of cards started to fall. The only real campaign news to break through the cycle.

XxenobladerxX said:
This campaign is a fucking joke..

Also,ENOUGH about the Bradley effect. ENOUGH.

It's the last thing that the MSM has to talk about, really. It's the only way they can justify the characterization that this is still a "close" race.

devilhawk said:
I think the numbers will probably stabilize to 4 to 6 points. That is really a total guess. I think Obama will be fine on election day though I don't think every single battle state will go blue. I am thinking that a state like Missouri or North Carolina, which is currently polling well for Obama will go red in the end as first thought. I said right after the Palin-Biden debate that numbers wouldn't continue to rise for Obama as drastically as they were that week. I also said they would stabilize, and that is what is happening more or less.

I'll give you credit devilhawk. You hang in the thread and are one of the non-obnoxious conservatives on the board from what I've seen. (I'm fully aware some of the liberals are pretty obnoxious in full disclosure)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom