• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
Have you guys noticed all of those commercials in the past year that keep asking you to send in your gold and diamonds for cold hard cash? They don't want us to have anything of value if the economy goes belly up. Financial independence will become an impossibility.

Nah, it's just another way to make money off the poor or those who REALLY need cash, like those 200% interest loans.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Tamanon said:
The only real wild card is what questions Brokaw has chosen from the crowd to use. And how challenging his follow-up questions will be. While he's been pretty biased on election coverage and Meet the Press, I can't see him being biased during a debate.
There's going to be follow up questions? I thought this format would be more restricted than the VP debate.

Tamanon

Banned
scorcho said:
There's going to be follow up questions? I thought this format would be more restricted than the VP debate.

I thought that too, but Brokaw is saying that he never agreed to the follow-up question terms in the debate agreement so he'd be doing follow-ups if he wanted. It's weird.

scorcho said:

I heard that the candidates agreed to no follow-ups from Brokaw, but Brokaw never signed off on it and is going to ask them anyway.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Fragamemnon said:
I heard that the candidates agreed to no follow-ups from Brokaw, but Brokaw never signed off on it and is going to ask them anyway.
And McCain will just ignore the follow-ups anyway. Worked for Palin!

DrEvil

not a medical professional
The Lamonster said:
He is just a young man, let him learn from his mistakes :lol

Anybody see Jim Cramer on Colbert last night?

The Economy = Groundhog bit was awesome.

Deku said:
The world was in the gold standard until very recently. Nothing stops it from reverting back to gold or some other precious mental.

Economists don't all agree on what is best, and it's not an exact science. But the liberal democratic response is to say that the gold standard is not viable in this day and age, because being able to print money is one of the strongest tools welfare states have at their disposal. Part of the budget each year are essentially 'free'.

If money supply is projected to grow by 100 billion dollars for that year, the government can print those extra 100 billion out of nothing and pay for whatever they need to pay.

That is not how money is introduced into the system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_m...en_market_operations_are_conducted_in_the_USA

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Trakdown said:
Holy shit, the hate language at McCain/Pain rallies is getting a hell of a lot of airtime. I saw it discussed on CNN, then switched over to MSNBC and David Schuster was asking some Tenn. Republican about it (she didn't answer the question, of course.)
McCain's own supporters are now working against him.

Insider Advantage, Colorado, 10/6

Obama - 51
McCain - 46

the gop isn't on their way to losing a vote with the american people as much as they are on the way to banishment from them.

3rdman

Well, I finally joined the Neogaf group and tossed in $50.00...It's not much but its all I can afford right now as my wife has recently been laid off.

Here's hoping for a good debate performance tonight.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Tamanon said:
I thought that too, but Brokaw is saying that he never agreed to the follow-up question terms in the debate agreement so he'd be doing follow-ups if he wanted. It's weird.
So long as Brokaw doesn't trip over his tongue repeatedly, this'll make the debate slightly more interesting to watch.

(snickers)

Barrett2

Justin Bailey said:

And it will only get worse. There will be some epic racial / xenophobic blasts caught on tape at McCain - Palin rallies the next few weeks.

3rdman said:
Well, I finally joined the Neogaf group and tossed in $50.00...It's not much but its all I can afford right now as my wife has recently been laid off.

Here's hoping for a good debate performance tonight.
You are the man and gl to your wife.

Justin Bailey said:
Yeah, this is not the strategy they want. Painting him as dangerously inexperienced, and bringing up his associations to arouse questions of dubious judgment? Maybe (though I don't think they'll play in this economic environment as effectively as in the past). Trying to argue that he's an unpatriotic, terrorist-sympathizer through bitter, partisan rhetoric? It's only going to show just how desperate you and/or your supporters have become.

Here is the pollster trend for PA over the last few weeks:

penn.gif

OVAR.

McCain could have done himself a whole lot of good by responding directly to that dude who screamed "TERRORIST" in the crowd at his speech yesterday had he resoundedly rebuked that kind of comment.

Instead he looked like a man at a point of reckoning, where the consequences of all the choices he's made to this point hit him squarely in the face.

cjdunn

Sooo, I was looking at recent history of electoral results.

Conclusion: "Bubba" really was the man:
1992 Clinton 370 - Bush 168 (source)
800px-ElectoralCollege1992.svg.png

1996 Clinton 379 - Dole 159 (source)
800px-ElectoralCollege1996.svg.png

Of course Reagan completely wiped the floor twice, but that's ancient history. :D

Thomper

DrEvil said:
The Economy = Groundhog bit was awesome.
Tonight, Colbert's guest is apparently Nate Silver/FiveThirtyEight-guy. They'll have Joe Scarborough on Wednesday, The Daily Show will have Michelle Obama on the same day.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
cjdunn said:
Sooo, I was looking at recent history of electoral results.

Conclusion: "Bubba" really was the man:
1992 Clinton 370 - Bush 168 (source)
800px-ElectoralCollege1992.svg.png

1996 Clinton 379 - Dole 159 (source)
800px-ElectoralCollege1996.svg.png

Of course Reagan completely wiped the floor twice, but that's ancient history. :D
Wow, never realized Clinton got the MIMAL vote.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Thomper said:
Tonight, Colbert's guest is apparently Nate Silver/FiveThirtyEight-guy. They'll have Joe Scarborough on Wednesday, The Daily Show will have Michelle Obama on the same day.

Kick. Ass.

And it's the return of South Park this week - Oh boy do I hope it's political.

edit: this is the south park synopsis for wednesday night:

CARTMAN HAS THE SOLUTION TO THE CHINA PROBLEM WHEN ALL-NEW EPISODES OF “SOUTH PARK” PREMIERE ON WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 8 AT 10:00 P.M.* ON COMEDY CENTRAL

All-New Season 12 Episodes Available Uncensored On iTunes, xBox LIVE, Amazon Video On Demand And SouthParkStudios.com

NEW YORK, October 6, 2008 – Cartman SEEMS TO BE THE ONLY PERSON AWARE OF THE GATHERING THREAT the Chinese pose TO THE United States in an all-new episode of South Park entitled, “The China Probrem”.

Fresh off an Emmy® win for the “Imaginationland” trilogy, “South Park” returns with seven all-new episodes beginning Wednesday, October 8 at 10:00 p.m. on COMEDY CENTRAL,

After watching the intimidating opening ceremonies of the recent Olympic games, Cartman understands that the Chinese are only just days away from invading his homeland. While the rest of the American people are haunted by the memory of a recent tragic event, only Butters will stand with Cartman as he confronts the Chinese.

Speevy said:
This can't go wrong for Obama. This can't go wrong for Obama. And somehow it will.
:lol

Seriously man. When has Obama ever fucked anything up? I think Bittergate was his biggest mistake and that was barely a week-long story.

Trakdown said:
:(

That means our pacman charts will be delayed.

when does Countdown film? colbert films at like 530 or 6, and airs at 11. countdown airs at 8, so does it film 'live'? if so, then our charts wont nearly be as delayed (they did an update at 1pm anyways, so maybe thats it for today?)

This can't go wrong for Obama. This can't go wrong for Obama. And somehow it will.

It's been over since Sept. 15th, it's just taken some time for events to transpire such that it is now clear to almost everyone.

If McCain doesn't win tonight's debate, I think he should just try to lose with whatever tatters of his honor that he has remaining. This current crap is not doing any favors to the rest of his party, and right now he's dragging the House and Senate GOP with him into the abyss.

X26 said:
So what time is this on tonight? 9pm et?
Yes.
Edit:
Fragamemnon said:
It's been over since Sept. 15th, it's just taken some time for events to transpire such that it is now clear to almost everyone.

If McCain doesn't win tonight's debate, I think he should just try to lose with whatever tatters of his honor that he has remaining. This current crap is not doing any favors to the rest of his party, and right now he's dragging the House and Senate GOP with him into the abyss.

Refresh my memory: what happened on september 15th?

I knew I wasn't going crazy with all my I'm seeing a ton of Obama commericals in FL.

Barack Obama is outspending John McCain at nearly a three-to-one clip on television time in the final weeks of the presidential election, according to ad buy information obtained by The Fix, a financial edge that is almost certainly contributing to the momentum for the Illinois senator in key battleground states.

From Sept. 30 to Oct. 6, Obama spent more than $20 million on television ads in 17 states including more than $3 million in Pennsylvania and more than $2 million each in Florida, Michigan and Ohio. McCain in that same time frame spent just $7.2 million in 15 states. Even when the Republican National Committee's independent expenditure spending in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin is factored in (a total of $5.3 million), Obama still outspent the combined GOP forces by roughly $8 million in the last week alone. (See full distribution after the jump.)

The spending edge enjoyed by Obama has been used almost exclusively to hammer McCain as both a clone of the current president and someone who is out of touch on key domestic issues -- most notably the economy. The assertion of Obama's spending edge has coincided with the collapse of the financial industry and a refocusing by voters on the economy to turn the election from a toss up to one in which the Democratic candidate has moved into a discernible lead.

While the struggles of McCain and his party over the Wall Street bailout bill that passed Congress last week after much sturm und drang have been well documented, the practical political impact of Obama's decision to forego public financing for the general election and McCain's choice to accept the $84 million in public funds has not been as fully explored.

Obama's fundraising machine has continued to churn in recent months -- bringing in $67.5 million in August alone and ending that month with more than $77 million on hand. (Reports for September are not due at the Federal Election Commission until Oct. 20.)

Obama's ad spending strategy has been based on the idea of stretching McCain to the limit in a series of non-traditional battlegrounds (Indiana, North Carolina, Colorado, Virginia), knowing that such an approach would force the cash-poorer Republican's hand at some point.

That decision paid off last week when McCain pulled down his television ads in Michigan, a move due in large part to the prohibitive cost of continuing to run commercials in the Wolverine State. A look at advertising in the last week in Michigan showed Obama dropping nearly $2.2 million as compared to $642,000 for McCain and just over $1 million by the RNC -- a difference of nearly $600,000 in favor of the Illinois senator.

A detailed look at campaign spending on ads over the last week shows clearly how Obama is using his financial edge over McCain. In 13 of the 15 states where both candidates were on television, Obama outspent McCain -- in some states, drastically.

In Florida, where recent polling suggests an Obama surge, the Illinois senator disbursed more than $2.8 million for television ads in the last week while McCain spent $623,000 -- a massive $2.17 million spending gap.

In North Carolina, Obama dropped approximately $1.5 million on television commercials last week while McCain spent only $137,000. Such a wide spending disparity explains why a series of polls has shown Obama trending upward in the Tarheel State of late.

Even in Pennsylvania, the state where McCain is now focusing much of his time and energy in the final month of the campaign, Obama's spending advantage is massive. Obama disbursed a little more than $3 million in the Keystone State last month as compared to $1.2 million in ad spending by McCain and another $807,000 by the RNC. It adds up to a million-dollar edge for Obama on television -- meaning that he outspending Republican by roughly 33 percent in Pennsylvania.

In Virginia, a state that has gone Republican in every presidential election since 1964, Obama's pronounced spending advantage is also being felt. Obama spent $1.6 million on ads in the Commonwealth last week while the combined forces of McCain and the RNC spent $909,000 -- giving Obama a $700,000 spending lead.

Only in Minnesota and Iowa did McCain have a spending edge on television over Obama in the last week.
In Minnesota, the McCain spent $377,000 on television, far more than the $196,000 Obama spent during the same period. Republicans saw a significant uptick in their numbers in Minnesota following the national party convention in August although most recent surveys show Obama reclaiming a statistically significant lead. History is also against McCain in the state as no Republican presidential nominee has carried Minnesota since 1972.

In Iowa, McCain spent $297,000 on television as compared to $224,000 for Obama. That's rough parity in a state where polling shows Obama with a comfortable lead. McCain has spent considerable time, attention and money in Iowa, however, a strategy that has baffled many within the Obama campaign. Iowa went for then Vice President Al Gore in 2000 by 4,000 votes in 2000 but George W. Bush carried it by 10,000 votes four years later.

Spending by the RNC's independent expenditure arm has kept McCain within shouting distance of Obama in several crucial states including Ohio and Wisconsin.
In Ohio, Obama spent $2.86 million on television last week while the combination of McCain ($1.1 million) and the RNC ($1.66 million) gave Democrats just a $100,000 edge. The same was true in Wisconsin where Obama disbursed $1.24 million, compared to $1.03 million for McCain and the RNC.

Is Obama's spending edge conclusive when it comes to determining the outcome on Nov. 4? No. External events can -- and always seem to -- intrude on even the best laid of political plans and strategies. But, Obama's fundraising prowess has provided him a major leg up in the final month of the campaign that, when combined with the detrimental effects the focus on the economy has had on McCain, make it an uphill climb to victory for the Arizona senator.

chart1666.jpg

chart2417.jpg

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/10/obamas_spending_edge.html

Barrett2

Speevy said:

Just remember, McCain is now running a foaming-angry partisan campaign. Only problem is the number of registered Republicans has gone down the last four years, number of registered Democrats is up. McCain is literally running a mathematically losing strategy.

adg1034

I just saw Wolf "I don't like to get involved/say anything that might be taken as unneutral" Blitzer utterly take it to the McCain campaign's representative. "When will Sarah Palin have a news conference?" "But Barack Obama has said that he would only raise taxes on people making over $250,000 a year..." "Earlier this year, McCain said he wanted to run a clean, positive campaign. What happened?"

I am in awe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom