• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Tyrone Slothrop said:
maybe you missed keith olberman's abidication of hillary's "dark soul"

So where the hell was MSNBC win Obama was running against Hillary?

woeds

18-Year-Old Delegate Still Pushes for Clinton to be No. 2

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/08/24/18-year-old-delegate-still-pushes-for-clinton-to-be-no-2/
“My thoughts on Biden … he will add a lot of experience to Barack’s resume as a candidate. However, I feel that Hillary would add just as much experience that Senator Biden does. I also think that Biden won’t really help out a whole lot with crucial states, whereas I think Hillary would guarantee a big state like New York and greatly affect others like Pennsylvania, Ohio and Texas. I understand that you shouldn’t pick a VP based solely on the fact that they will help sway more state’s and win an election, but there must be a reason, or several for that matter, that that person can and will sway those states. As disappointed as I am that Hillary wasn’t his pick, I think that Biden will serve the U.S. as the VP well.”
:lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
oh fucking christ these interview people are embarrassing

C. Matthews: "Who you voting for?"
Some dude: "McCain"
*crowd hisses*
Some dude: "Well you see you interviewed my wife, she is a big Hillary fan. So McCain."

Some white girl: "Obama! He's black and I'm proud!"
*C. Matthews vomits on her face*

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
HOLY SHIT.

Mathews asking McCain supporter: "Are we better off now than we were 8 years ago?"
Guy: "We are better off than we were with Jimmy Carter."

WTF :lol :lol :lol :lol

APF

theviolenthero said:
Obama has gotten more negative coverage on MSNBC (and cnn & foxnews) than EVERY other candidate in the whole election COMBINED but yet you still have complete fucking idiots who think they're "in the bag" for Obama.

Stop with the bull-shit!!!!
I'd take this level of histrionic more seriously if rest of PoliGAF weren't furiously rubbing off to MSNBC even as we speak.

Amir0x said:

*crowd hisses*
Some dude: "Well you see you interviewed my wife, she is a big Hillary fan. So McCain."

That's a pretty good sampling of our electorate.

I think I AM an Elitist.

Mumei

Amir0x said:

*crowd hisses*

And just think, those are the ones who are actually politically engaged to some noticeable degree. Imagine how bad the ones who aren't are. :lol

mckmas8808

APF said:
I'd take this level of histrionic more seriously if rest of PoliGAF weren't furiously rubbing off to MSNBC even as we speak.

To be honest it is a true stat.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
APF said:

What the hell does that have to do whether MSNBC's coverage is fair to both candidates or not?

Is your entire existence on here to post one big non-sequitur after another?

Amir0x

Banned
is it really possible to think any of the cable news stations don't have an agenda? And if so, isn't it obvious Obama supporters who flock to the one which typically follows the Obama story more positively?

Fox News is absurd and outwardly retarded regarding Obama - they don't even try to hide it. They pass off falsehoods routinely and try to squeeze in innuendo to get their message across. CNN isn't bad necessarily, but their news anchors and shows are. They have nobody worth watching.

I guess the general direction I'm going with this is that all cable news networks are shit at the moment. We should all watch PBS!

Catchpenny said:
Not to be frivolous when bombs are going off in Iraq, but hey, it doesn't stop the Republicans:

covers.jpg

Who looks like a quarterback ready to lead, and who looks like a wimp scared of the football? Man, flip those poses around and it would be the big story on Fox News for a week.
Its also the American flag, which McCain cradles lovingly like a baby, while Obama claws it and is ready to hurl it any which way that's convenient for him.

APF said:

Ok, can you name one candidate that's received more negative coverage on MSNBC than Obama?

mckmas8808

Amir0x said:
is it really possible to think any of the cable news stations don't have an agenda? And if so, isn't it obvious Obama supporters who flock to the one which typically follows the Obama story more positively?

Fox News is absurd and outwardly retarded regarding Obama - they don't even try to hide it. They pass off falsehoods routinely and try to squeeze in innuendo to get their message across. CNN isn't bad necessarily, but their news anchors and shows are. They have nobody worth watching.

I guess the general direction I'm going with this is that all cable news networks are shit at the moment. We should all watch PBS!

So why does CNN have a higher democratic following than MSNBC?

Clevinger

theviolenthero said:
Ok, can you name one candidate that's received more negative coverage on MSNBC than Obama?

Clinton probably got equal or worse.

It's definitely dumb to say it was in the tank for Obama, though.

Amir0x

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
So why does CNN have a higher democratic following than MSNBC?

I really couldn't tell you that. Most likely it comes from their longer history on the air and their history of leaning more liberal.

It is certainly not due to the current range of programs.

mckmas8808

Clevinger said:
Clinton probably got equal or worse.

It's definitely dumb to say it was in the tank for Obama, though.

No he is saying Obama received the most negative press. More than Hillary. Starting in March what things in particular can you guys remember that were reported negatively about Hillary?

Amir0x said:

look for this to be used in a McCain ad

btw, that republican surrogate that's been popping up recently (Nancy Pfotenhaur) is awesome. As in, awesomely and hilariously spintastic!

Amir0x said:
I really couldn't tell you that. Most likely it comes from their longer history on the air and their history of leaning more liberal.

It is certainly not due to the current range of programs.

It boggles the mind seriously. It's a surprising statistics considering Wolfe, Dobbs, and company.

Tamanon

Banned
Keep in mind also that CNN is on every single cable network, MSNBC is not. And I'm not surprised Arizona is single-digits, McCain hasn't done jack shit for their state for years.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
GhaleonEB said:
Mason-Dixon poll has McCain up only six points in his home state of Arizona. Bush won it by 11.

I'm telling everyone, they are discounting the youth vote, this time is different. It's different. You could see it in how Luke Russert was on television talking about it. It's different. People are going to be super surprised come November 4th.

GhaleonEB said:
Mason-Dixon poll has McCain up only six points in his home state of Arizona. Bush won it by 11.

could you imagine if Obama was only up six points in Illinois? THE DEALS ARE OPEN WHAT'S WRONG WITH OBAMA OMG

laserbeam

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

Same poll shows Mccain getting a lead in Nevada and New Mexico now. 6% and 4% respecitvely

GhaleonEB

Agent Icebeezy said:
I'm telling everyone, they are discounting the youth vote, this time is different. It's different. You could see it in how Luke Russert was on television talking about it. It's different. People are going to be super surprised come November 4th.
Yeah. I mantain that the polls are under-estimating Obama's support in a number of ways. The electorate is shifting, and they're not picking it up.

(And in other ways, too. Like the new PPP Virginia poll showing Obama up 2, and has Obama winning "only" 89% of the black vote.)

mckmas8808

Tamanon said:
Keep in mind also that CNN is on every single cable network, MSNBC is not. And I'm not surprised Arizona is single-digits, McCain hasn't done jack shit for their state for years.

No you guys still don't understand the stat.

Theres a certain % of people that watch CNN that are democrats. And there is a certain % of people that watch MSNBC that are democrats.

That % of democrats for CNN is higher than the % of MSNBC's viewers. MSNBC has more of a % of their viewers that are republicans than CNN.

reilo said:
HOLY SHIT.

Mathews asking McCain supporter: "Are we better off now than we were 8 years ago?"
Guy: "We are better off than we were with Jimmy Carter."

WTF :lol :lol :lol :lol

Don't forget the one answer from a McCain supporter:

"Who's a better president? Bill Clinton or George W. Bush?"

"Bush by far!"

Amir0x said:

Shouldn't the proper expectation be to follow the news sources that most accurately depict current events? Yeah it's fun when the news tells you what you want to hear, but it's not terribly helpful.

I understand why the general populace does it, but for people who pride themselves on being knowledgeable (i.e. PoliGAF) it seems quite foolish.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Shouldn't the proper expectation be to follow the news sources that most accurately depict current events? Yeah it's fun when the news tells you what you want to hear, but it's not terribly helpful.

I understand why the general populace does it, but for people who pride themselves on being knowledgeable (i.e. PoliGAF) it seems quite foolish.

But I think we can agree that the "pride" is just circular masturbation, with slightly more articulated talking points by and large.

Clevinger

mckmas8808 said:
No he is saying Obama received the most negative press. More than Hillary. Starting in March what things in particular can you guys remember that were reported negatively about Hillary?

Sniper fire, Bobby Kennedy remark, and MSNBC's debate was the equivalent to Hillary what the ABC debate was to Obama. Lots and lots of misogynistic remarks, but that goes for all networks. The Daily Show had a good montage of them in one segment.

I know there's more but that's off the top of my head.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah. I mantain that the polls are under-estimating Obama's support in a number of ways. The electorate is shifting, and they're not picking it up.

(And in other ways, too. Like the new PPP Virginia poll showing Obama up 2, and has Obama winning "only" 89% of the black vote.)

Chris Matthews touched on this when he was talking to Pat about why they didn't pick Clinton. He said that it would make sense if this were 2000 or 2004, but not this year. The map is going to be changed.

I have to admit, I kinda love the cheesiness of the cable news "yeah! we rock!" style of ads for their political shows.

Chris Matthews: "GOD THIS IS SO INSPIRING!"

*fast camera cuts*

Keith Olbermann: "Hold on to your seatbelt, YOU'VE GOT TO WATCH THIS!"

mckmas8808

GhaleonEB said:

Kerry got 87% of the black vote in VA in 2004. So they are saying that Obama will only increase that % by 2 points? :lol

Tamanon

Banned
soul creator said:
I have to admit, I kinda love the cheesiness of the cable news "yeah! we rock!" style of ads for their political shows.

*fast camera cuts*

"The best f*cking news team, EVER"

Hootie

soul creator said:

*fast camera cuts*

Well, they've got to make this shit seem a little interesting :lol . I know I enjoy watching Hardball/Countdown/etc every day but for most people they really couldn't care less.

GhaleonEB

mckmas8808 said:
Kerry got 87% of the black vote in VA in 2004. So they are saying that Obama will only increase that % by 2 points? :lol
Yup. And a lot of the pollsters shift their demographics to match historical levels as a way to normalize variance in their polling groups. So they are still not predicting an increase in the black or youth vote, and discount new voters (when a "likely voter" model is applied).

As Agent Icebreezy has said - I don't think it's going to be as close as the polls make it look.

mckmas8808

Clevinger said:
Sniper fire, Bobby Kennedy remark, and MSNBC's debate was the equivalent to Hillary what the ABC debate was to Obama. Lots and lots of misogynistic remarks, but that goes for all networks. The Daily Show had a good montage of them in one segment.

I know there's more but that's off the top of my head.

So are you willing to understand that J. Wright/pastor gate, he can't get the white working class vote, Pastor gate II, Bittergate, is he ready to lead, but is he too inexperienced, why can't he close the deal gate, etc.

And ALL of those issues that I listed that were negative reporting for Obama were played more than each individual thing Hillary had spoken negatively about her. There's actual stats that shows that what I'm saying is true.

mckmas8808

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. And a lot of the pollsters shift their demographics to match historical levels as a way to normalize variance in their polling groups. So they are still not predicting an increase in the black or youth vote, and discount new voters (when a "likely voter" model is applied).

As Agent Icebreezy has said - I don't think it's going to be as close as the polls make it look.

So does anybody here give a shit that these polls aren't including alot grass roots efforts that's going on?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And the Denver police have dispersed thier first protest that caused the Pepsi Center to go into lockdown.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=98253&catid=339

Protestors, which included members of the "Re-create 68" group, blocked the entrance to the Pepsi Center for 15 minutes on Sunday, before dispersing.
Advertisement

The protestors, who were chanting anti-war rhetoric, marched from the Colorado State Capitol, down Colfax to Speer, then down Speer to Auraria, where they ended in front of the site of the Democratic National Convention.

The protestors forced authorities to lockdown the entrance to the Pepsi Center for about 15 moderately-tense minutes. Denver Police were on scene in full riot gear. Several observers looked on, taking photos.

However, when police asked the group to disperse, they did.

The media was affected the most by the lockdown.

Denver Police say the entrance that was blocked on Sunday could not be blocked once the convention begins since Auraria Street, where the protestors marched, will be closed beginning Monday.

Earlier in the day, the same group of protestors, wearing T-shirts that read "No More Politics as Usual," helped kick off the initial, large-scale protest during the week of the Democratic National Convention.

"The whole world is watching! The whole world is watching!" the crowd chanted on the front steps of the Colorado State Capitol, trying to echo the feelings of the 1968 DNC in Chicago.

The morning's rally featured speakers such as noted war critic Cindy Sheehan and Ron Kovic, of "Born on the Fourth of July" fame.

"We now know we can be silent no more!" Sheehan told the crowd which numbered in the hundreds.

Dozens of police officers, many of them on bikes, watched the crowd from a number of nearby locations. Despite a small scuffle, mostly involving members of the media, the morning's session went on without many problems or confrontations.

Sheehan told the crowd of about 200 demonstrators Sunday that not much has changed since her month-long war protest outside President Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, in 2005.

"Now three years later, our country is still mired in the Middle East. We're talking about more war, more cold war, and Russia and Georgia, and invading Iran and Pakistan," she said.

The protest is the first of at least five planned this week by the group Re-create 68.

Sheehan, whose son was killed in the Iraq war, went to Crawford during Bush's August 2005 vacation and demanded to talk to him about the conflict. The protest drew more than 10,000 people, many of whom camped along the two-lane road leading to the ranch.

Nearby, about 50 counter-demonstrators waved American flags, sang the National Anthem and hoisted signs praising GOP candidate John McCain and Gen. David Petraeus, commander of U.S. troops in Iraq.

One sign had an arrow pointing to the war protesters with the words "Al-Qaida Fan Club."

"I don't get why they don't understand," said 23-year-old Michael Haynes of Fort Collins, who said he served two tours in Iraq with the Marines.

Among the protesters at Sunday's rally in Denver was Nancy Minshall, who lived in Chicago in 1968. She says she doesn't expect the protests planned in Denver to compare to the riots in Chicago 40 years ago because there's more tolerance for free speech today.

"It was outrageous," said Minshall, who wore a polo shirt with a peace sign. "It was a situation that just grew worse, kind of like Kent State."

National Guard troops opened fire on anti-war protesters at Ohio's Kent State University on May 4, 1970, killing four students and wounding nine.

Watched the newscast. "No cops, no KKK, no fascist USA" was the nice amusing chant.

And to kick off the convention I thought I would recommend a few local news site for anyone looking for the local angle.

www.9news.com (our local NBC affiliate)
www.fox31.com (our local fox affiliate and actually one of Denver's better newscasts, not like the cable channel)
www.rockymountainnews.com (Denver newspaper)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom