• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEO3

Pakkidis said:
As for the debates, I really don't see how they will really change anything. George Bush got smoked in the debates and it didn't make a difference.

The debates did have a positive effect for Kerry, and on election day the momentum was clearly in his favor. It's just that he started out too far behind for the debates to make up the difference. Unlike the current race, which is essentially tied.

I get the feeling this is going to be a lot like 1980, where the race between Carter and Reagan was neck and neck all summer, even though the country hated Carter. People weren't really comfortable with Reagan until the debates, when they saw he wasn't the scary radical he was made out to be. Sound familiar?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Shit guys, why don't we just go out on a limb and say about 50% of America is evil.

Iksenpets

Banned
DEO3 said:
The debates did have a positive effect for Kerry, and on election day the momentum was clearly in his favor. It's just that he started out too far behind for the debates to make up the difference. Unlike the current race, which is essentially tied.

I get the feeling this is going to be a lot like 1980, where the race between Carter and Reagan was neck and neck all summer, even though the country hated Carter. People weren't really comfortable with Reagan until the debates, when they saw he wasn't the scary radical he was made out to be. Sound familiar?

Yeah, but Obama doesn't have a history of stellar debate performances, which worries me. Biden is obviously a natural debater, but he can't carry it on his own if Obama isn't pulling off clear wins against McCain, too.

GhaleonEB

Cooter said:
I never said that in '04. I'm saying that I believe you can't hope for much from politicians and I think these two are about as good as it gets.
Let me ask you this: It is very possible - if not likely - that McCain will not make it through one or especially two terms as president, in which case we are left with Palin. Is she also "as good as it gets"? I'm not being flip - the possibility of Palin as president needs to be considered given the situation.
Cooter said:
I've seen evil being brought up in this thread way too much.

IMO of course.
It's not mentioned much. But I agree it's not a productive line of argument.

Iksenpets said:
Yeah, but Obama doesn't have a history of stellar debate performances, which worries me. Biden is obviously a natural debater, but he can't carry it on his own if Obama isn't pulling off clear wins against McCain, too.
McCain isn't exactly great at debates, or speeches in general.

And his idea that he's great at Town Hall speaking is kind of wrong too.

The guy is just an all around bad speaker.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
Every single time a paper predicts doom for Obama fundraising, they prove them wrong. See: WSJ saying Obama "only" had $30m in June. The following week Obama announces over $50m.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Thunder Monkey said:

My friends...

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:
It's not mentioned much. But I agree it's not a productive line of argument.

Would you argue that it's...

Evil?

2ura7b5.jpg

Cooter

GhaleonEB said:
Let me ask you this: It is very possible - if not likely - that McCain will not make it through one or especially two terms as president, in which case we are left with Palin. Is she also "as good as it gets"? I'm not being flip - I think the possibility of Palin as president needs to be considered given the situation.

I'm not sure it's very possible seeing that his mom is 96 but I'll answer. I just don't know. I'll have a better idea in a few weeks I imagine. Biden isn't exactly someone I'd like to see in the WH either. Judging by his primary performance it's safe to assume 99% of the democratic party agrees with me.

Fatalah said:
Don't know how fast this thread is moving, but I just spotted this on Drudge:
i have found WSJ/NYT/Drudge have ZERO insight to obama's fundraising totals, always being way off the mark.

however, i don't doubt that they are way off whatever mark the media has set for him, which i think was $100 million/month for both Obama and the DNC, taken from a couple quotes and some outside analysts.

we'll know closer to the 20th me thinks, the 8th is a bit early

Barrett2

Cooter said:
I'm not sure it's very possible seeing that his mom is 96 but I'll answer. I just don't know. I'll have a better idea in a few weeks I imagine. Biden isn't exactly someone I'd like to see in the WH either. Judging by his primary performance it's safe to assume 99% of the democratic party agrees with me.

If Palin ran in the primaries how many votes do you think she would have gotten? She would have been laughed out of the competition by the other Republicans. Mittens would have eaten her alive.

Fatalah

Iksenpets said:
Yeah, but Obama doesn't have a history of stellar debate performances

Yes, I too found it odd that the head of the Harvard debate team had lackluster performances earlier this year during the Democratic primaries. I expected a lot more!

McCain's ability to deliver off the cuff remarks worries me. Why? Because McCain had me warming up to him during that mega-church interview!

Cooter

lawblob said:
If Palin ran in the primaries how many votes do you think she would have gotten? She would have been laughed out of the competition by the other Republicans.

I'm not so sure of that.

TDG

Banned
BrandNew said:
Fuck my state. Ohio...

:/
I predicted even before the primaries were over that Obama could not win Ohio. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised with my state, but the demographics don't seem right to me.

However, I have seen 8(!) Obama yard signs in the past week, and zero McCain yard signs in my Republican-leaning suburb of Columbus.

Juice

Hootie said:
...isn't CO only 9 EVs? Is it really that important?

If he gets VA and CO, then there's just about no way McCain wins.

TDG said:
I predicted even before the primaries were over that Obama could not win Ohio. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised with my state, but the demographics don't seem right to me.

However, I have seen 8(!) Obama yard signs in the past week, and zero McCain yard signs in my Republican-leaning suburb of Columbus.

Heh, have you seen the Upper Arlington for Obama posters everywhere? Talk about the Starbucks vote.

You and I both know that as soon as you drive 10 miles out of Columbus proper, it's pure McCain country. Especially after the primary, and the 20% of democratic respondents who said race was the factor and voted Hillary, I just don't think the Three C's is enough.

TDG said:

I ordered my Obama signs a week ago and still no wiff of them in sight... :(

2DMention

Banned
Yea, what gives? I don't see signs anywhere, whereas the last two elections, there were signs in damn near every 5th lawn.

They're also not nuking us with campaign ads either.

Can't obama and McCain raise as much money to pimp themselves like Kerry and Bush and Gore did?

TDG

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
I ordered my Obama signs a week ago and still no wiff of them in sight... :(
I ordered an Obama/Biden car magnet last week, still haven't gotten anything. I also have been wanting to get a Obama/Biden yard sign, but there STILL aren't any avalible on the Obama store. Wtf.

TDG said:
I ordered an Obama/Biden car magnet last week, still haven't gotten anything. I also have been wanting to get a Obama/Biden yard sign, but there STILL aren't any avalible on the Obama store. Wtf.

Check out your local Obama Headquarters.

TDG said:

you know, for a few weeks now I kept thinking you reminded me of that "the disgruntled gamer" guy, especially with the avatar. Only now, did the TDG acronym register in my head.

I feel dumb.

Thunder Monkey said:

McCain knows how to debate in front of the American people. He offers short, brief soundbytes that people can run with. While Obama stutters and gives nuanced answers. I wouldn't just assume Obama is going to win the debates. Clinton handed him his ass in most of the primary debates - granted McCain isn't nearly as good of an opponent

Hootie

PhoenixDark said:
McCain knows how to debate in front of the American people. He offers short, brief soundbytes that people can run with. While Obama stutters and gives nuanced answers. I wouldn't just assume Obama is going to win the debates. Clinton handed him his ass in most of the primary debates - granted McCain isn't nearly as good of an opponent

Yep, just like in the "religious" forum McCain gave simpleton answers which appealed to the simpleton viewers.

Obama SHOULD win the debates but like you said, McCain knows how to pump out the soundbytes.

PhoenixDark said:
Agree with everything.

Hillary was a far better debater than Obama in the Dem primaries, yet Obama won. Same with Bush vs Kerry.
I'm fairly sure Obama does at least a bit better in debates than McCain (and considering the actual content, he destroys McCain), but his stuttering and long balanced answers aren't per se better than a bunch of one liners.

GhaleonEB

Souldriver said:
Agree with everything.

Hillary was a far better debater than Obama in the Dem primaries, yet Obama won. Same with Bush vs Kerry.
I'm fairly sure Obama does at least a bit better in debates than McCain (and considering the actual content, he destroys McCain), but his stuttering and long balanced answers aren't per se better than a bunch of one liners.
Obama won despite his debate performance, not because of it. Debates are about sytle over substance, which is how Bush "won" them over Gore and Kerry.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Souldriver said:
Can non-Americans donate to a candidate?

Well, they have no way of verifying if you already live in the states, but you probably don't want to get in trouble by clicking the 'I am certify that I am a US Citizen blah blah blah' thing.

Kittonwy

Banned
Does FoxNews come in HD? I have officially stop watching CNNHD (I can't stand it anymore) and switch to FoxNews but it's not in HD.
angry.gif

Souldriver said:
Agree with everything.

I agree, the issues aren't on McCain's side. He's going to have to convince people Obama is going to raise their taxes, how Obama is somehow the earmark bastard running, etc. I think Obama can pull it off but we'll see.

Can't wait for focus group responses on it

Beavertown

Garbage
Cooter said:

McCain wouldn't have to die for Palin to take over. He could also be forced to step down due to poor health, which is possible considering his cancer history and his senility. In any case, I think he will just be a puppet president for the GOP to control.

What do you even know about Biden? I'm guessing, not much.

capslock said:
Well, they have no way of verifying if you already live in the states, but you probably don't want to get in trouble by clicking the 'I am certify that I am a US Citizen blah blah blah' thing.
Too bad. These elections are so important for the rest of us too. :( But I understand the reason why not though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom