• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

Price Dalton said:
2+2=5 strategy?
Let's not forget who she's addressing. These are the people that believe in a time of economic crisis, huge government spending and war all that's needed is lower taxes to solve the problems. People that complain about how change is needed and to get that change they're going to elect the same party that's run the country almost entirely on their own for the past 8 years.

So the 2+2=5 strategy works rather well when employed for the 2+2=5 crowd.

"You're gonna hear a lot about the abusive practice of earmarks in Congress from our good senator here. We championed in Alaska reform of the old earmark process. I told Congress, `Thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge To Nowhere up in Alaska. If our state wanted a bridge, we were gonna build it ourselves."
WTF? The O team should print up some fact sheets with all her support for the bridge to no where and the fact that she kept the money after the project was canceled and then hand them out at every McCain/Palin event.

It is beyond just being fiscally responsible . . . do people really want to vote for people that outright lie like that?

laserbeam said:
Clinging to Embryonic Stem Cell research as if its the end all be all is pointless. Its already been proven we can get the same results using other means that offer the same promise.

Bullshit. And you know it. Adult stem cells offer nowhere near the versatility of stem cells.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
vumpler said:
I'm having a hard time finding when the last time the Demy's had full control. I think it happened twice in history. Where are our poli history buffs?
Last time the Dems had full control (well everything except for Judicial) was from 1993-1995.

tanod

when is my burrito
bob_arctor said:
Ugh. She sucks at speaking. She should have a mini-teleprompter displayed via some sort of LCD trickery on the inside of her lenses. And pushing the earmark thing? Really??

Only a couple more days and she has the whole thing memorized. I'm looking forward to seeing Palin try to sneak a teleprompter into the debate.

3phemeral

34ns2ux.jpg

No matter how many times I see that pic posted, it somehow always does the job.

speculawyer said:
I think you meant apoplectic . . . it's the rapture-right that get apocalyptic.

Bingo. I think have the rapture-right on my head too much, nowadays. What with John Hagee's megachurch right down the street... :lol

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
speculawyer said:
It is beyond just being fiscally responsible . . . do people really want to vote for people that outright lie like that?

2 terms of Bush should provide some insight. Though like Constantine and the Swamp Thing, the answers may be black and unbearable.

Barrett2

CharlieDigital said:
She's been singlehandedly preventing a full Russian invasion of the US.

"The typical Ruskie don't take a dump without having a plan, Jack... and for the last two years lil' Sarah has been foiling those boys' plans."

Socreges

Banned
could someone be so kind as to link me to a website that could explain in depth, and provide concrete examples of (whether for success or failure), trickle-down economics? seeing obama and o'reilly debate this, since obama would like to tax the rich (less the middle), motivates me to learn more.

or would wikipedia just as easily suffice?

tanod

when is my burrito
RubxQub said:
Biden should have known better...what the fuck, man.

Don't speak for women, Joe. Let Sarah dig her own grave, but don't speak for them or about them.

The sexism card was much more legit here than it has anywhere in the past, and hopefully this doesn't boil up and burst all over the place.

The fact remains that it's John McCain's ticket and he could have said the same exact thing about John McCain. It's a Biden-trap. Watch the Obama campaign hit back or the media pick up on it to watch McCain get owned.

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- In an election for President of the United States in North Carolina Tuesday, September 09, Republican John McCain suddenly and breathtakingly surges to a 20-point win over Democrat Barack Obama, 58% to 38%, according to this latest exclusive SurveyUSA election poll conducted for ABC11-WTVD.

McCain is now in front among the educated and less educated, among the affluent and less affluent. He's polling at 64% in Coastal Carolina (up from 57%), at 60% in Charlotte (up from 53%), and at 54% in Raleigh / Greensboro (up from 44%). Pro-Life voters backed McCain 2:1 last month, 4:1 this month.

SurveyUSA interviewed 900 North Carolina adults 09/06/08 - 09/08/08. All interviews were completed after the Labor Day weekend, and after the conclusion of the Republican National Convention. Of the 900 adults, 783 were registered to vote; of them, 671 were determined by SurveyUSA to be likely to vote in the 11/04/08 general election. North Carolina has 15 Electoral College votes. Incumbent Republican President George W. Bush carried the state by 12 points in 2004 and by 13 points in 2000.
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/politics&id=6380065

whaaat the hell

you guys should have never permabanned Triumph

GhaleonEB

Frank the Great said:
It's not a sign at all.
"May or may not"
BenjaminBirdie said:
Is Halperin serious?

And then he links to a note that the NBC poll is releasing....

http://thepage.time.com/2008/09/09/who-is-really-winning/
That's Halperin for you. Sounds like he knows which way the WSJ/NBC poll leans.
PhoenixDark said:
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/politics&id=6380065

whaaat the hell

you guys should have never permabanned Triumph
Holy crap.

Of the 900 adults, 783 were registered to vote; of them, 671 were determined by SurveyUSA to be likely to vote in the 11/04/08 general election.
Hmm. Likely voter model. Still, that's an ugly swing.

ronito said:
Let's not forget who she's addressing. These are the people that believe in a time of economic crisis, huge government spending and war all that's needed is lower taxes to solve the problems. People that complain about how change is needed and to get that change they're going to elect the same party that's run the country almost entirely on their own for the past 8 years.

So the 2+2=5 strategy works rather well when employed for the 2+2=5 crowd.
Pretty much what Atrios had to say:

At this point even Republicans all know it's full of shit, but they don't care. It pisses off liberals! And that's really all they care about.

Biden knows what he is doing there. Does the GOP really want to have a debate about women's issues? Hell no, it means talking about equal pay for equal work and their opposition to both the right to choose and even the specter of Griswold v. Connecticut.

If they want to play operation Hide Behind Palin, that's fine. But you have to call a spade a spade or just take a good wedge issue off the table, which would be fucking stupid.

Keylime

tanod said:
The fact remains that it's John McCain's ticket and he could have said the same exact thing about John McCain. It's a Biden-trap. Watch the Obama campaign hit back or the media pick up on it to watch McCain get owned.
Nah, this could hurt Obama/Biden if this gets a lot of airplay.

Joe can't be generalizing women like that. Saying that he thinks it would be a step down for women is going too far, especially considering her celebrity at the moment.

I don't think what he said is sexist, as I understand what he meant, but he didn't phrase that well at all.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Was Obama close in NC?

Generally been in the low single digits ever since the GE campaign started. We're organized really well here and I think all of us think we have a shot due to changing demographics of the state. Now my always smoldering rage to see cary and the other wake county burbs razed to the ground is reaching white hot territory. ANGRY LIBERAL.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
laserbeam said:
Clinging to Embryonic Stem Cell research as if its the end all be all is pointless. Its already been proven we can get the same results using other means that offer the same promise.

This statement shows that you're not informed on how this stuff is researched.

Cheebs

BenjaminBirdie said:
Was Obama close in NC?
He has been ahead there in polls earlier in the summer. Palin surge likely was felt strong there in the south.

QUOTE=GhaleonEB]
Hmm. Likely voter model. Still, that's an ugly swing.[/QUOTE]
They've always used likely voter and as in the primaries they proved time and time again to be very accurate.

tanod

when is my burrito
GhaleonEB said:
Hmm. Likely voter model. Still, that's an ugly swing.

That made me skeptical. Also, it was taken during McCain's convention bump peak if we see the Daily Gallup as an indicator of that.

Keylime

BenjaminBirdie said:
Was Obama close in NC?
McCain consistently was in the lead, but usually by 3-6 points.

20 points is retardedly far away.

Cheebs

tanod said:
That made me skeptical. Also, it was taken during McCain's convention bump peak if we see the Daily Gallup as an indicator of that.
SurveyUSA always used likely voter models and they have been almost never wrong, they are one of the highest weighted polling outlets on 538

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
RubxQub said:
McCain consistently was in the lead, but usually by 3-6 points.

20 points is retardedly far away.
20 points is Kansas/Nebraska demographics, and North Carolina is not Kansas or Nebraska.

you guys should chill out. the voter registration is greater for dems than republicans, most of the polls are taking into account the same people who voted in 2004 and dont take into account the fact that they are not taking into account that young voters will vote in greater numbers than ever before and young voters is the Obama base!

chill the fuck out

syllogism

Halperin is hyping it because it's the gold standard among pundits at the very least.

There's no way Mccain is up by 20% in NC, though I wish he was as I would rather have him surge in states Obama wasn't going to win anyway

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
SurveyUSA always used likely voter models and they have been almost never wrong, they are one of the highest weighted polling outlets on 538
They've been wrong plenty of times. They do have a good record overall, though.

I want to see one more NC poll to substantiate it, but that's not a good sign.

Keylime

Hitokage said:
20 points is Kansas/Nebraska demographics, and North Carolina is not Kansas or Nebraska.
That's what we thought! All the polling in the past showed slight leads for McCain, but 20 points puts them in crazyland.

GhaleonEB

syllogism said:
Halperin is hyping it because it's the gold standard among pundits at the very least
For context, the WSJ/NBC had:

June: Obama +6
July: Obama +6
August: Obama +3
September: ??

I'm guessing tied or down a point or two.

GhaleonEB said:
They've been wrong plenty of times. They do have a good record overall, though.

I want to see one more NC poll to substantiate it, but that's not a good sign.

Oh well. Time to internally reassert my belief in the democratic process and go back to not caring about Politics again forever.

Barrett2

RubxQub said:
That's what we thought! All the polling in the past showed slight leads for McCain, but 20 points puts them in crazyland.

How could the fundamentals change that drastically? Independent voters never swing that fast in such large numbers to one candidate.

How could adding a shrill woman to the ticket be that exciting to people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom