• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightyF

Banned
I go to the comments section of the ABC news poll about McCain's 20 pt lead in NC, and I see a comment that says (paraphrased), "I don't work hard to be taxed more and give it to others yadda yadda" and I highly doubt that he makes more than $600K.

So it seems that there are a lot of uneducated people voters out there, who don't understand Obama's taxing strategy, and take McCain's claims of "raising taxes" and think that he's raising taxes all across the board.

Obama should have an ad with the chart explaining his tax policy, as he's giving LARGER tax cuts to the middle class!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
when it comes to McCain and veterans, it's better to just to let the mixed record speak for itself.

Charlie: yeah - not sure what that video was meant to illustrate. veterans who think the Iraq War is justified hate Obama - what does that have to do with their benefits?

ViperVisor: it's even more bullshit now that we've agreed to a guarded timetable for withdrawal.

minus_273

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
Veterans you dimwit. Veterans. Holy shit you're stupid. Get. The. Fuck. Out.

I want to see how they feel after they come back to the US and are denied first class care. When they're homeless. When they end up in second class facilities. When they lack the services they need for mental health.

Fuck you're dumb.

Please, step away from the computer and stop posting.

did you not see that the group that is compiling those numbers is an anti-war group? that video clip was a vets group attacking obama. maybe you should have clicked on it.
here's more http://www.vetsforfreedom.org/
of course this is a non partisan group too...

Tamanon

Banned
minus_273 said:
did you not see that the group that is compiling those numbers is an anti-war group? that video clip was a vets group attacking obama. maybe you should have clicked on it.
here's more http://www.vetsforfreedom.org/
of course this is a non partisan group too...

What does being anti-Iraq War have to do with veterans issues though? And if they're so partisan, why is Obama only a B+?

minus_273

Banned
FightyF said:
I go to the comments section of the ABC news poll about McCain's 20 pt lead in NC, and I see a comment that says (paraphrased), "I don't work hard to be taxed more and give it to others yadda yadda" and I highly doubt that he makes more than $600K.

So it seems that there are a lot of uneducated people voters out there, who don't understand Obama's taxing strategy, and take McCain's claims of "raising taxes" and think that he's raising taxes all across the board.

Obama should have an ad with the chart explaining his tax policy, as he's giving LARGER tax cuts to the middle class!

you only need to have an income over 250k to get taxed more by obama not 600k. Two person family making over 125k each. In addition it includes farmers and small business owners who's incomes are their business incomes.

Our mission is to educate the American public about the importance of achieving success in these conflicts by applying our first-hand knowledge to issues of American strategy and tactics in Iraq.

Their issue is partisan and or bullshit.

tanod

when is my burrito
Stoney Mason said:
They did and there was no chance it was going Dem anyway. I think people are more concerned if it was pointing out a trend in general that could carry over to some other states.

57 out of 58 presidential elections have not had a black major-party candidate in them.

Now is not the time for cynicism. America is not chained to its history.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Stoney Mason said:
They did and there was no chance it was going Dem anyway. I think people are more concerned if it was pointing out a trend in general that could carry over to some other states.
Uh, NC is not SC. It's much more metropolitan and has a huge influx of new residents in the Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham areas. (I'm one of them!)
minus_273 said:
you only need to have an income over 250k to get taxed more by obama not 600k. Two person family making over 125k each. In addition it includes farmers and small business owners who's incomes are their business incomes.
Heh, "only".

Biden had an awkward moment during a rally in Columbia, Mo., Tuesday. At the start of his remarks, he pointed out several state lawmakers in the audience for praise. When he got to Chuck Graham, a state senator from Green Meadows, Biden urged the lawmaker to "stand up Chuck, let 'em see ya."

But Graham, who is in a wheelchair, can't stand up - a fact Biden quickly picked up on.

"God love ya, what am I talking about," Biden said. "You can tell I'm new," he quipped, asking the audience to stand up for Graham instead.

"It happens all the time," Graham told Politico after the rally. He called Biden very gracious for coming over to him once he realized his mistake.

"It still happens to me after 12 years" in state politics, said Graham. "It doesn't bother me a bit."
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

*tries not to go to hell*

minus_273 said:

That's absolutely wrong. Next...

obama_mccain_taxcut.gif

Barrett2

minus_273 said:

Ahh yes, I forgot, Dems are trying to screw farmers and small businessmen!

Guess what, the only "small businessmen" who suffer higher taxes as a result of Obama's tax plan are people who intentionally structured their businesses to this type of taxation structure. Any small businessman who personally takes home $300,000+ per year and hasn't protected his businesses tax liability is too stupid for me to feel sorry for his increasing taxes under Obama's plan. It's not hard to structure your business to minimize tax liability; only morons will be screwed by this.

tanod said:
57 out of 58 presidential elections have not had a black major-party candidate in them.

Now is not the time for cynicism. America is not chained to its history.

I'm not sure if you're attacking me or agreeing with me ;) I was just pointing out the history.

And people do largely vote based on demographics. That's why the majority of states don't flip from election to election anymore.

minus_273

Banned
Tamanon said:
What does being anti-Iraq War have to do with veterans issues though? And if they're so partisan, why is Obama only a B+?

yes, because someone who hates the war is going to support the candidate who doesnt.
I'll tell you when you tell me why doesnt the NRA give every republican an A?

Thats not even the issue, CharlieDigital asked for a veterans group critical of obama and i gave him one that has been nationally visible and running ads about it. infact he doesnt think they are veterans, maybe because he cant wish the non-existence of a group that exists

of course, meltdowns like this and personals insults really elevate the discussion here:

"Veterans you dimwit. Veterans.Holy shit you're stupid. Get. The. Fuck. Out."

MassiveAttack said:
That's absolutely wrong.

minus -2 in the last two pages.

HOW LOW CAN HE GO?

You only have to look at McCain's actual voting record to see how much he shits on veteran's affairs.

Also, you're truly a dimwit.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
lawblob said:

Guess what, the only "small businessmen" who suffer higher taxes as a result of Obama's tax plan are people who intentionally structured their businesses to this type of taxation structure. Any small businessman who personally takes home $300,000+ per year and hasn't protected his businesses tax liability is too stupid for me to feel sorry for his increasing taxes under Obama's plan. It's not hard to structure your business to minimize tax liability; only morons will be screwed by this.

See minus, Obama's even gonna get you laid! ;-)

Chiggs

Gold Member
FightyF said:

I would say a lot of people are concerned with what an Obama win would mean to businesses, and not just giant corporations, either.

Hitokage said:
Uh, NC is not SC. It's much more metropolitan and has a huge influx of new residents in the Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham areas.
Heh, "only".

Never said it was. It's still not going Democratic in the presidential election. I'm not pointing out anything that isn't factual.

North Carolina votes Republican in presidential election and people were worried about the trending of suddenly being down 20. I made no radical implications beyond that in my post.

minus_273

Banned
lawblob said:

\

any business where there is a co-mingling of assets between the person and business has no protection (corporate veil). Income is also not the same as profit.

Tamanon

Banned
minus_273 said:
yes, because someone who hates the war is going to support the candidate who doesnt.
I'll tell you when you tell me why doesnt the NRA give every republican an A?

Thats not even the issue, CharlieDigital asked for a veterans group critical of obama and i gave him one that has been nationally visible and running ads about it. infact he doesnt think they are veterans, maybe because he cant wish the non-existence of a group that exists

of course, meltdowns like this and personals insults really elevate the discussion here:

"Veterans you dimwit. Veterans.Holy shit you're stupid. Get. The. Fuck. Out."

The NRA is only about gun rights, that's it. Just like the Vets groups are only about Vet issues. Which McCain absolutely blows on. Again, what does being against the Iraq War have to do with Veterans issues and why wouldn't they give Obama an A+ since he's preetty much the epitome of anti-Iraq War.

GhaleonEB

Stoney Mason said:
Never said it was. It's still not going Democratic in the presidential election. I'm not pointing out anything that isn't factual.

North Carolina votes Republican in presidential election and people were worried about the trending of suddenly being down 20. I made no radical implications beyond that.
There has been a lot of new voters and growth in Democratic-leaning areas of the state. That combined with an expected spike in black turnout led most to think the state will be close. The past few months of polling had it within 5 points or so. Obama is making a big play there.

minus_273

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
That's absolutely wrong. Next...

obama_mccain_taxcut.gif

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080907/D93228880.html

"The Tax Policy Center, a think tank run jointly by the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute, concluded that Obama's tax plan would benefit middle-income taxpayers more than McCain's. However, Obama would raise payroll taxes on taxpayers with incomes above $250,000, and he would raise corporate taxes. Small businesses that make more than $250,000 a year also would see taxes rise.

McCain's plan cuts taxes across all income levels. It would cut taxes for those in the top 1 percent by more than $125,000, raising their after-tax income an average 9.5 percent, the center concluded. "

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Has there been talk of the re-emergence of 527's? Or is that old news?

tanod

when is my burrito
Stoney Mason said:
I'm not sure if you're attacking me or agreeing with me ;) I was just pointing out the history.

And people do largely vote based on demographics. That's why the majority of states don't flip from election to election anymore.

I'm just saying that if a Democrat lives in a red state, this is the year they need to show up. Saying that one's vote doesn't matter because one's state is hardcore red is cynical. That's exactly the opposite of what Obama's all about.

So, it's not an attack on you. Just a repeated call to arms to people that if the people who are really involved/informed in politics get cynical, that sets a bad example for those who aren't and nothing will change.

scorcho said:
Obama has a 'fight the smears' section on the site, so i would say no.
Yeah okay! :lol :lol Because fighting things which are character attacks as opposed to questionable policy is equal to attempting to spin factual things which happened positively!

minus_273

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
Yeah okay! :lol :lol Because fighting things which are character attacks as opposed to questionable policy is equal to attempting to spin factual things which happened positively!

i wasnt aware the story about Trig being her grandson was a policy issue. Thanks.

GhaleonEB said:
There has been a lot of new voters and growth in Democratic-leaning areas of the state. That combined with an expected spike in black turnout led most to think the state will be close. The past few months of polling had it within 5 points or so. Obama is making a big play there.

Hopefully that helps future democrats and there is nothing wrong with laying the groundwork for future expansion hopefully but if it comes to spending serious money in that state he'd be better off investing it in one of the real battlegrounds.

tanod

when is my burrito
minus_273 said:
i wasnt aware the Trig being her grandson was a policy issue. Thanks.

I wasn't aware that any media (using the term liberally) other than the bloggers on Kos and the National Enquirer were giving any play to that story whatsoever.

Tamanon

Banned
schuelma said:
Has there been talk of the re-emergence of 527's? Or is that old news?

It was expected that they would start popping up after the convention. It's nothing surprising at all. Especially since technically people can't donate to McCain anymore. What a mess campaign finance reform is.:lol

tanod said:
I wasn't aware that any media (using the term liberally) other than the bloggers on Kos and the National Enquirer were giving any play to that story whatsoever.
The closest would be Bill Maher.

And he's a comedian.

Fatalah

I'm drained today, just drained. I don't know how I'll last all the way to November. I think what's missing is some Obama news that'll bring my spirits up. Oh man, I hate convention bounces when they go against me, I HATE 'EM.

I wonder what DailyKos's polling data will show on Thursday. I hope the results will lift me up out of darkness, lift me up, lift me up lift me up, come on come on! Woo!

GhaleonEB said:

I think everybody should vote if they are so inclined and think the candidate is worthwhile. I'll be voting in FLA even though I think it's a low chance pick up for Obama.

Zen

Banned
FightyF said:

I've never understood why politicians don't do this. I can understand for relatively complex issues like foreign policy, or the environment, that it isn't feacible. But while speeches are nice, creating a short educational advert will get the specifics out that you want.

OBAMA MAKE AN ADD THAT CLEARLY SHOWS (not says vaguely) YOUR TAX POLICY.

schuelma

Tamanon said:
It was expected that they would start popping up after the convention. It's nothing surprising at all. Especially since technically people can't donate to McCain anymore. What a mess campaign finance reform is.:lol

Was it expected that Obama would start allowing them? :p

minus_273 said:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080907/D93228880.html

"The Tax Policy Center, a think tank run jointly by the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute, concluded that Obama's tax plan would benefit middle-income taxpayers more than McCain's. However, Obama would raise payroll taxes on taxpayers with incomes above $250,000, and he would raise corporate taxes. Small businesses that make more than $250,000 a year also would see taxes rise.

McCain's plan cuts taxes across all income levels. It would cut taxes for those in the top 1 percent by more than $125,000, raising their after-tax income an average 9.5 percent, the center concluded. "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/06/09/ST2008060900950.html

GhaleonEB said:
I'm starting to think that, rather than GAF, the Obama team reads fivethirtyeight.

Sunday night, Nate lamented the quality of Obama ads, and then made two suggestions.

Yesterday, Obama comes out with the ad saying Palin and McCain are lying about their records, citing the bridge to nowhere as an example.
I actually sent the Obama campaign a link to Nate's suggestions. I bet they were already aware of it though :lol

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
minus_273 said:
and the problem is? the philosophical point behind Obama's tax cut is to give more money back to lower and middle income earners who actually drive the economy through consumption. i think this portion of the exec summary is the most important
But choice of baseline doesn’t change how the proposals would affect the budget picture; without substantial cuts in government spending, both plans would sharply increase the national debt. Including interest costs, Obama’s tax plan would boost the debt by $3.5 trillion by 2018. McCain’s plan would increase the debt by $5 trillion.

minus_273 said:
i wasnt aware the story about Trig being her grandson was a policy issue. Thanks.
Yeah when did I mention Trig? What the heck are you talking about?

I'm talking about her being corrupt, which she is.

schuelma

Tamanon said:
He doesn't have any control over them, so I don't see how he could stop them or "allow" them.

Wasn't he previously discouraging them from forming? Wasn't that part of his rationale for not taking public financing- that he had to fight the evil 527's that the GOP was sure to bring out and since he was discouraging 527's from forming he needed that advantage?

Jenga

Banned
minus_273 said:
Wait, what? People are still giving Palin flack about that? You mean, the whole bridge-to-nowhere, troopergate, bookburning, librarian firing, earmark bullshit and etc is being ignored? gee, I sure hope this "truth squad" gets the bullshit thrown out so we can roast Palin over shit that actually matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom