• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
The sex ad is a McCain ad about Obama's educational history.

It basically says that he hasn't made any significant legislation on education...except one.

A bill that brought sex education to kindergarteners. He wants children to learn about sex before they can read.

seat

Touchdown said:
alright who just saw that sick sex ad from the McCain camp? that's disgusting and the most vile thing I've ever seen. A man that has 2 little girls. That's messed up.
So, there's two girls. Is there also one cup? If so, I don't want to see it.

Bad joke. I'll watch it now.

schuelma said:
I realize Obama feels they have to respond, but this is very very risky.

John McCain of all people is the one of the four appearing to be above the fray. That's not good, and it's not good for Obama to be spending much of his airtime attacking the GOP's VP nominee.

Ok everyone, tell me why I'm completely wrong. :lol :lol

It's risky, but it was intended for their change mantra. The "lipstick" line will get spun as a reference to Palin, but he meant both McCain and Palin.

HylianTom

Banned
The Obama campaign responds:

"It is shameful and downright perverse for the McCain campaign to use a bill that was written to protect young children from sexual predators as a recycled and discredited political attack against a father of two young girls - a position that his friend Mitt Romney also holds. Last week, John McCain told Time magazine he couldn't define what honor was. Now we know why."

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpo...new_mccain_ad_badly_distorts_o_1.php#comments

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
thekad said:
He can just say that he wasn't even talking about Palin, but the RNC in general.

I'm not talking about one little quote. Obama has gotten a ton of media coverage the past 2 days for attacking Palin. It might be necessary, but it's risky.

Read this article: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13315.html

The dems are clearly shifting from a "let's ignore her and focus on McCain" to "let's rip her to shreds"

And maybe it will work..but like I said, its risky.

GhaleonEB

Obama camp's response is fucking brutal.

"It is shameful and downright perverse for the McCain campaign to use a bill that was written to protect young children from sexual predators as a recycled and discredited political attack against a father of two young girls - a position that his friend Mitt Romney also holds. Last week, John McCain told Time magazine he couldn't define what honor was. Now we know why."

Edit: beaten.

sevenchaos said:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/09/mccain-ad-obamas-lone-edu_n_125205.html

That ad is pretty retarded albeit effective. Obama's campaign responds:

"It is shameful and downright perverse for the McCain campaign to use a bill that was written to protect young children from sexual predators as a recycled and discredited political attack against a father of two young girls - a position that his friend Mitt Romney also holds. Last week, John McCain told Time magazine he couldn't define what honor was. Now we know why," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.
Holy shit, they really don't have any shame.

Xisiqomelir

schuelma said:
Ok everyone, tell me why I'm completely wrong. :lol :lol

Much like the infamous "black hand" GOP ad, "lipstick on a pig" is a dogwhistle. True believers know who the pig is, but if the JSA campaign starts to whine, Axelrod/Plouffe can just point out that it's a proper English idiom.

Tamanon

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
Much like the infamous "black hand" GOP ad, "lipstick on a pig" is a dogwhistle. True believers know who the pig is, but if the JSA campaign starts to whine, Axelrod/Plouffe can just point out that it's a proper English idiom.

What? It's an actual expression, there's no "dogwhistle" for it.:lol It means that if you dress something up as different than it really is, it's still the same, just with lipstick.

schuelma

Xisiqomelir said:

Again, I'm not talking about just that one line.

Xisiqomelir

Tamanon said:
What? It's an actual expression, there's no "dogwhistle" for it.:lol It means that if you dress something up as different than it really is, it's still the same, just with lipstick.

Dude, I said that :p

EDIT: I don't know what else you're talking about, Schuelma.

Chiggs

Gold Member
speculawyer said:
Bill-O? Is that you?

I don't think the number was that big . . . much lower than that. But pretty much any number greater than zero is not really acceptable. The number Edwards cited was from the VA's own statistics, he didn't just make it up.

No, that's what Edwards said numerous times, though, admittedly he did flip flop so if we're speaking about consistency then, yeah, I can't claim that he said that every single time he spoke about it. Occasionally, I've heard him say 200,000. I think he said that he had obtained the data from the Homeless Veteran Coalition.

In any event, it's a disgrace, but I don't enjoy bloating numbers for political gain. Also, another thing to keep in mind is that we don't exactly know how many of these people claiming to be veterans were deserters or various other miscreants that probably didn't even serve honorably, if at all. How many times have you seen a homeless man claiming to be a disabled veteran? Probably a lot. I know I have. But what's to say he's not lying to play the sympathy card? What's to say he's not some pathetic A.W.O.L. trying to buy some booze?

TDG

Banned
I didn't recieve any credit for my three posts about the fake poll/real poll, which I though were hilariously ironic and well-crafted, and I'm a bit disappointed.

In response to the fake poll:
TDG said:
OH MY GOD WAYTO FUCK UP ANOTHER ELECTION AMERICANS YOULL GET THE PRESIDENT YOU DESERVE OH GOD
TDG said:
IVE ALREADY BOUGHT A HOUSE IN CANADA NOW I ONLY HAVE 6 FEWER HOUSES THAN MCCAIN

In response to the real poll:
TDG said:
Americans have really learned from their mistakes from prior elections. They won't fail us this year. People don't fall for republican tricks anymore. I love this country.

Keylime

CHUCK FUCKING TODD

CHUCK + NUMBERS = LOIN WETNESS

Tamanon

Banned
Chiggs said:
No, that's what Edwards said numerous times, though, admittedly he did flip flop so if we're speaking about consistency then, yeah, I can't claim that he said that every single time he spoke about it. Occasionally, I've heard him say 200,000. I think he said that he had obtained the data from the Homeless Veteran Coalition.

In any event, it's a disgrace, but I don't enjoy bloating numbers for political gain. Also, another thing to keep in mind is that we don't exactly know how many of these people claiming to be veterans were deserters or various other miscreants that probably didn't even serve honorably or at all.

wat?

thefro

schuelma said:
Read that politico story, and just look at stuff Obama's said lately. He's taking her head on, which the campaign previously said they were not going to do.

Edit- here is an AP article detailing things:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080909/ap_on_el_pr/obama_palin

He's not "taking her head on", he's added a paragraph or two on her to his stump speech. The media is just reporting that bit because it's new.

It's not like he's fucking ranting about Palin for 30 minutes on the stump.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
schuelma said:
The dems are clearly shifting from a "let's ignore her and focus on McCain" to "let's rip her to shreds"
I've not paid close attention to what the rest of the dems are doing but Obama's approach has been consistent, both here in this comment and in others. He doesn't single her out, he doesn't take the bait and contribute to her celebrity. He ties everything to McCain because it's McCain's campaign. He holds McCain accountable for the campaign he's running as he should, regardless of whether it is largely being manipulated by others behind the scenes.

Barrett2

Slurpy said:
Incognito, you fucking owe me for the hole you just made me punch in my wall, and the keyboard I threw out the window.

:lol

As they say, in comedy - timing is everything. Incognito nailed it.

schuelma

thefro said:
He's not "taking her head on", he's added a paragraph or two on her to his stump speech. The media is just reporting that bit because it's new.

It's not like he's fucking ranting about Palin for 30 minutes on the stump.

Irealize that, but previously the Obama campaign basically said they were going to ignore her. Obama clearly is not. You really can't see the difference in his remarks now from even a few days ago?

Imm0rt4l

sevenchaos said:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/09/mccain-ad-obamas-lone-edu_n_125205.html

That ad is pretty retarded albeit effective. Obama's campaign responds:

"It is shameful and downright perverse for the McCain campaign to use a bill that was written to protect young children from sexual predators as a recycled and discredited political attack against a father of two young girls - a position that his friend Mitt Romney also holds. Last week, John McCain told Time magazine he couldn't define what honor was. Now we know why," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.

Hell I could've told you why. He didn't write that book in which 'he' defined honor. Hell he probably didn't even read it.

GhaleonEB

Full Recovery said:
McCains ads are fucking corrupt, I don't think I can stand 8 more weeks of this shit.
I hate to pull the "I'm a parent card" - but I'm a parent of two kids, one in pre-school and one just starting first grade.

Using the "Obama is going to corrupt the children" is just fucking disgusting. Obama's campaign hit is right that he's lost any sense of honor. And he's going to use Palin as a shield to defend against it.

AniHawk

TDG said:
I didn't recieve any credit for my three posts about the fake poll/real poll, which I though were hilriously ironic and well-crafted, and I'm a bit disappointed.

In response to the fake poll:

In response to the real poll:

I still love you.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Tamanon said:

I don't think it's that hard to understand, but I'll summarize: It's entirely reasonable that a good number of homeless vets aren't really veterans. They may have been in the military, but deserted, or they were kicked out. They play the vet angle to get sympathy.

Sometimes it seems that this argument is presented in a way that makes it seem that all these war heroes are coming home and being tossed out on the street. It's sensationalist rubbish.

thekad

Banned
TDG: I was going to complement you for the laughs, but I'm pretty sure you still have me on ignore :lol

Chiggs: Sensationalist rubbish? Like supporting the troops?

Tamanon

Banned
Hardball sometimes tapes segments ahead of time for time-released polls since they already have the info, and just paste it into the later broadcast.

Chiggs: Do you have any evidence whatsoever about that? I mean, the VA is really good at identifying who should receive benefits and who is classified as a "veteran".

Keylime

Imm0rt4l said:
Hell I could've told you why. He didn't write that book in which 'he' defined honor. Hell he probably didn't even read it.
What the fuck? Are you saying that John McCain: the Republican nominee for President of the United States, does not pay attention to detail?

What? What's that?

mccainhousebackdrop.jpg

Oh...Oh fuck that.

Obama '08

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Chiggs said:
I don't think it's that hard to understand, but I'll summarize: It's entirely reasonable that a good number of homeless vets aren't really veterans. They may have been in the military, but deserted, or they were kicked out. The way I see this argument presented is that all these war heroes are coming home and being tossed out on the street. It's sensationalist rubbish.

You are right. I think we should ignore them since they are obviously all liars. Shit, they probably aren't even homeless.
/sarcasm

Hootie

"15% say they'd most like to dine with McCain."

WOW! THAT'S GREAT INFORMATION! THIS COULD BE THE DECIDING FACTOR OF THE ELECTION!!!!11one111

WTF. :lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
thekad said:
Chiggs: Sensationalist rubbish? Like supporting the troops?

Are you even reading anything, or did you just see that quip and decide to comment. And what in the HELL is with that "support the troops" stuff? I love the way that's bandied about as if everyone who joins the military is some poor desperate soul that doesn't get anything in return and didn't have any other options.

I know it's tough to comprehend, but lots of people join the military every year, and they're not always impoverished. Surprise, it's not a bad career choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom