• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
APF said:
problem with the analogy or whatever? Probably nothing; sometimes you have to call a spade a spade, but even harmless gaffes can be a tar baby--the more you struggle the worse it becomes.

INDEED!

relax, but the irony is awesome - people who speak a lot make a lot of phrases that can be recontextualized by their enemies.

RubxQub said:
Dude...Obama totally set the trap with the pig in lipstick comment :lol

This is some crazy shit.
haha wow, I wonder if they pulled this shit intentionally.

1. bait mccain
2. prove hypocrisy
3. ???
4. win election

HokieJoe

Dr_Cogent said:
Yep. And for an older woman, she's not bad looking still.

I would.

"C'mon baby, let your hair down, slip out of that milfy hot business suit, and let's get to some of that drilling you've been talking about."

Gaborn said:
True, she discussed the issue, but she never mentioned which books for example and it never went beyond a discussion of what the procedure would be in such an event. People discuss hypotheticals all the time, hell, the US has a military plan in case they need to invade Canada, it doesn't mean the Mounties should be worried.
It was a test. To see if the librarian was a closet fascist who would ever consider banning books. A test she passed. Thank God for Sarah Palin and her rhetorical situations!

APF

Stoney Mason said:
Like I said I'm being serious. I get that you are making some reference to racial catch phrases so you are saying that if a female mentions lipstick in a joke analogy then a man isn't allowed to also use that same analogy. She referred to herself as a pitbull implying tenaciouness. He referred to a pig meaning you can't dress up an idea as something it isn't. So is the bad implication that he is literally calling her a pig so she should be offened? Is it that he is calling her ugly? Or that he is calling her phony? Which one of these is the crime?
So pig and lipstick as a common phrase idiom is not usable in general anymore. Or just for women candidates. Or just for a women candidate who mentions lipstick first.

Once again I'm serious. I'm trying to pin down what exactly is the crime here.

I'm just having fun, but I'm technically not being sarcastic, since I really think he just made an honest "mistake" that is harmless but if he thought about it he would have avoided phrasing it that way because as it stands has the appearance of being indelicate. Palin is known by that catchphrase, so yes it does make "lipstick on a pig" something you don't want to use when you're running against her.

lexi

Banned
HokieJoe said:
I would.

"C'mon baby, let your hair down, slip out of that milfy hot business suit, and let's get to some of that drilling you've been talking about."

Her voice/accent causes the medical phenomenon known as a softon.

adamsappel said:
It was a test. To see if the librarian was a closet fascist who would ever consider banning books. A test she passed. Thank God for Sarah Palin and her rhetorical situations!

That's the bizzare part. What hypothetical is being proposed here? Don't worry. It's just hypothetical anyway right.

Gaborn said:
Perception is everything. Even if Obama didn't mean it that way and his supporters were wrong to interpret it that way it still matters if people ARE interpreting it the offensive way even if they shouldn't.

I agree with this, as it's already been felt amongst my parents. They can't believe that Obama would say such a thing, and even though I mentioned that McCain said the same thing they were like well maybe he shouldn't but Obama should have known better.

Also, what did Biden say today? My father is rather furious with him right now (referred to Biden as ignorant sob). The only thing I got out of it was Biden said something along the lines of not supporting embryotic stem cells is like not caring for kids with disabilities (or something like that....).

Any hope of getting him to vote for Obama pretty much went out the window with that, as he, my mother and sister firmly now believes that Obama and Biden are desperate (and I was so close to getting him to rethink a bit, as he's angry about Hillary not being VP).

Haunted

Huckabee gets more respect points for not being a huge fucking idiot on national TV and trying to blow this out of proportion, like the Republicans on Fox News (Hannity etc.) are.

English is not my native tongue and even I know that 'lipstick on a pig' saying.

TDG said:
But in a race where people are very sensitive about sexism/racism, it's going to seem like Obama was calling Palin a pig with lipstick to some people.

Yeah. I get your point. My point is that those people are dumb.

It's like we're in a race to the bottom. We want great leaders, just as long as they're not smarter or more accomplished than we are.

We want them to use straight talk, and to speak about the issues as adults, but not in a way that somebody out there won't misconstrue and take offense to.

It reduces politics to an episode of 'Everybody Loves Raymond', and we all lose.

APF

I think people are reading too much into that book-banning question. This is the sort of thing that's likely innocuous IRL but under the microscope of a Presidential campaign appears like closeted fascism. If nothing happened--and all evidence shows it didn't--move on.

Anyway, I feel like a snack. Maybe cookies? You know my favorite cookies are Oreos. What about you Obama fans? Do you guys like Oreos? I love 'em. I vote for Oreos whenever I can, for favorite cookie. /enough

Wheeljack539 said:
I agree with this, as it's already been felt amongst my parents. They can't believe that Obama would say such a thing, and even though I mentioned that McCain said the same thing they were like well maybe he shouldn't but Obama should have known better.

Also, what did Biden say today? My father is rather furious with him right now (referred to Biden as ignorant sob). The only thing I got out of it was Biden said something along the lines of not supporting embryotic stem cells is like not caring for kids with disabilities (or something like that....).

Any hope of getting him to vote for Obama pretty much went out the window with that, as he, my mother and sister firmly now believes that Obama and Biden are desperate (and I was so close to getting him to rethink a bit, as he's angry about Hillary not being VP).

Oh he's one of those...:lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Wheeljack539 said:

Asked by a local television reporter in Milwaukee, Wisconsin if electing Palin would be a step forward for women, Biden said, "well look, I think the issue is what does Sarah Palin think? What does she believe?""I assume she thinks and agrees with the same policies that George Bush and John McCain think," Biden added. "And that's obviously a backward step for women."

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2008/09/09/biden-palin-would-be-backward-step-for-women/

APF said:
I'm just having fun, but I'm technically not being sarcastic, since I really think he just made an honest "mistake" that is harmless but if he thought about it he would have avoided phrasing it that way because as it stands has the appearance of being indelicate. Palin is known by that catchphrase, so yes it does make "lipstick on a pig" something you don't want to use when you're running against her.

I don't see it. I'm being serious here I don't see the issue and I'm trying to be objective even though I support Obama. Mccain has used Change as some version of a shot many times. This could be interpreted as a shot but what's wrong with that? The implication is that it is somehow sexist from some quarters and I don't understand that charge at all. He took her phrase and turned it around on her. It's not gtraphic. It's not sexual. The closest thing that it could fashioned into is lipstick is a cosmetic accesory to make someone look attractive but where is the derogotary feminist attack laced in his comments?

Not a big deal and I don't want to go off on digression about something I think is minor but I'm really asking why should she be offended and where is the sexism inherent in the attack? Because he used a phrase that she already used in a speech in front of over 30 million people of mixed gender as a positive... I don't get it.

GhaleonEB

biggkidd32 said:
So much for running a fair campaign, eh, McCain. Republicans love to push the button with this culture war non-sense.
It worked out so well for them in the run up to the 2006 mid term elections.

Gaborn said:
I think that she probably wanted to explore the librarian's views on censorship. That is, whether she WOULD bend to a mayor that wanted to censor the library, whether she had done so in the past. Also, it's worth noting that the Librarian was fired one day, and rehired the next. There is no direct indication that Palin was involved in that, although the Librarian in question claims she was told Palin felt she did not support her.|

Bob - I have no problem with a government official wasting time discussing hypotheticals. if she actually suggested any particular book be removed she should never be VP.
Wait, that's actually what you believe she was doing?! I was making a joke. And four hours too late, as well.

APF said:
Seriously though, it's a pretty harmless gaffe that'll blow over and amount to nothing, but it does show how delicate you have to be with your words when a thousand microphones are on you every second
this will be front page headlines all across the nation tomorrow.

Snaku

Banned
biggkidd32 said:
So much for running a fair campaign, eh, McCain. Republicans love to push the button with this culture war non-sense.

I wonder how long before McCain starts accusing Obama of wanting to kill Christmas?

APF

Stoney Mason said:
I don't see it. I'm being serious here I don't see the issue and I'm trying to be objective even though I support Obama. Mccain has used Change as some version of a shot many times. This could be interpreted as a shot but what's wrong with that? The implication is that it is somehow sexist from some quarters and I don't understand that charge at all. He took her phrase and turned it around on her. It's not gtraphic. It's not sexual. The closest thing that it could fashioned into is lipstick is a cosmetic accesory to make someone look attractive but where is the derogotary feminist attack laced in his comments?

Not a big deal and I don't want to go off on digression about something I think is minor but I'm really asking why should she be offended and where is the sexism inherent in the attack? Because he used a phrase that she already used in a speech in front of over 30 million people of mixed gender as a positive... I don't get it.
Implying a woman is a pig is suggesting she is fat. Referencing a woman's weight, or making derogatory comments that judge or value a woman by her weight, is considered sexist. Pigs are also considered ugly animals, or at least dirty scavengers, and talking about a woman in terms of putting lipstick on a pig is also implying you judge her by her appearance and she falls short in your estimation. This is also considered sexist.

Wolffen

Given McCain's legendary temper, I wonder if the repeated attacks by Obama's camp on McCain's lack of honor have Johnny in a rage yet.

Lemonz

Obama aide Anita Dunn responds to the McCain campaign's claim that Obama compared Palin to a pig:

Enough is enough. The McCain campaign’s attack tonight is a pathetic attempt to play the gender card about the use of a common analogy – the same analogy that Senator McCain himself used about Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s health care plan just last year. This phony lecture on gender sensitivity is the height of cynicism and lays bare the increasingly dishonorable campaign John McCain has chose

Stoney Mason said:

Women use lipstick, and Palin's a woman, soooo... sexist.

Doesn't matter anybody's intent - doesn't matter the context. Doesn't matter the subject matter. Hell, even the damn meaning of the term doesn't matter. At all.

What matters is that you can use it to enrage ignorant people. And whoever does this circus trick best gets to be the chief executive of the world's biggest superpower.

Bush did it with 9/11 and played this country's fear, heartbreak and urge for vengeance like a fiddle. Looks like there are plenty enough people who still love being manipulated.

Makes perfect sense.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Great response from Dunn.

I can't believe people are "nervous." The convention ended like four business days ago :lol

APF

Note that the opposite is also true though. IIRC Biden made a comment about Palin being the pretty one of the candidates, which is considered demeaning and sexist because it evaluates women primarily in terms of her appearance.

Gaborn

adamsappel said:
Wait, that's actually what you believe she was doing?! I was making a joke. And four hours too late, as well.

I don't know if she did or didn't think that way, I'm just saying that since she didn't push to ban any books she clearly had some reason other than an insane desire to censor anything.

NullPointer said:
Yeah. I get your point. My point is that those people are dumb.

It's like we're in a race to the bottom. We want great leaders, just as long as they're not smarter or more accomplished than we are.

We want them to use straight talk, and to speak about the issues as adults, but not in a way that somebody out there won't misconstrue and take offense to.

It reduces politics to an episode of 'Everybody Loves Raymond', and we all lose.

the problem is you say this, but most people only want to apply this rule to their own side.

Killthee said:
Asked by a local television reporter in Milwaukee, Wisconsin if electing Palin would be a step forward for women, Biden said, "well look, I think the issue is what does Sarah Palin think? What does she believe?""I assume she thinks and agrees with the same policies that George Bush and John McCain think," Biden added. "And that's obviously a backward step for women."

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2008/09/09/biden-palin-would-be-backward-step-for-women/

Was that it? Nothing about embryotic stem cell research, as that was what he was really angry at?

DancingJesus said:
Oh he's one of those...

He feels it was a "stupid, stupid move" on Obama's part. The sad thing that in talking with him last night about some of that I got the feeling that he was actually mulling it over, but with this thing with Biden at this point I'm not sure.

Even sadder is they all seem to be buying into McCain and Palin, especially my mother.

APF

NullPointer said:
Women use lipstick, and Palin's a woman, soooo... sexist.

Doesn't matter anybody's intent - doesn't matter the context. Doesn't matter the subject matter. Hell, even the damn meaning of the term doesn't matter. At all.

What matters is that you can use it to enrage ignorant people. And whoever does this circus trick best gets to be the chief executive of the world's biggest superpower.

Bush did it with 9/11 and played this country's fear, heartbreak and urge for vengeance like a fiddle. Looks like there are plenty enough people who still love being manipulated.

Makes perfect sense.
But enough about sliming Bill Clinton during the primaries.

gkryhewy

Wheeljack539 said:

Dude, I'm sorry, but your family really sucks.

Deus Ex Machina said:
this will be front page headlines all across the nation tomorrow.

If it is, it'll be "McCain, Obama Camps trade snipes over "pig" comment, pork projects"

Hey, that's pretty good!

APF said:
Note that the opposite is also true though. IIRC Biden made a comment about Palin being the pretty one of the candidates, which is considered demeaning and sexist because it evaluates women primarily in terms of her appearance.

In an interview, Geraldine Ferraro said that Obama is a handsome man.

SEXIST

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AndyIsTheMoney said:
the problem is you say this, but most people only want to apply this rule to their own side.

Only one side has fucked the economy and deleted many of our essential liberties.

Stoney Mason said:

regardless of the context. Obama needs to be much more careful of what he says whether its a mistake or taken out of context, he should know this stuff can only hurt him. his Muslim religion remark on sunday, than this today, hes only feeding his opponents fuel.

Its like a few days ago when I remember a republican congressman using the remark "uppity" when referring to obamas supposed elitism. you just need to be more sensitive of what you say.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
How could anyone not know what the lipstick on a pig thing means? Even, maybe even especially Fox News viewers would know what it means, MSM are the ones that are gonna come out looking stupid here, I think. Just like with the whole "Terrorist fist jab" nonsense.

tanod

when is my burrito
The Lamonster said:
haha wow, I wonder if they pulled this shit intentionally.

1. bait mccain
2. prove hypocrisy
3. mccain calls Palin a cunt and a worthless trollop and rampages through his campaign plane yelling racial epithets and no less than 5 uses of the word "fuck"
4. Obama wins election

fixed. Dude's got a temper. Keep picking at him Obama.

Beavertown

Garbage
Wheeljack539 said:
Was that it? Nothing about embryotic stem cell research, as that was what he was really angry at?

He feels it was a "stupid, stupid move" on Obama's part. The sad thing that in talking with him last night about some of that I got the feeling that he was actually mulling it over, but with this thing with Biden at this point I'm not sure.

Even sadder is they all seem to be buying into McCain and Palin, especially my mother.

Yeah Biden did say something about Stem Cell Research -
Mr. Biden said that if Republicans talk about helping parents of developmentally disabled children, “why don’t you support stem-cell research?” Mr. McCain supports most stem-cell research, but running mate Sarah Palin doesn’t. “Playing politics with this issue is disturbing and indicative of a desperate campaign,” McCain campaign spokesman Ben Porritt said.

Not sure how accurate that quote is, though.

As for Hillary, tell your dad she didn't want to be VP.

Edit:
COLUMBIA, MO.) - Was Joe Biden referring to Sarah Palin, a mother of a child with Down syndrome, when he made this comment?

“I hear all this talk about how the Republicans are going to work in dealing with parents who have both the joy, because there's joy to it as well, the joy and the difficulty of raising a child who has a developmental disability, who were born with a birth defect. Well guess what folks? If you care about it, why don't you support stem cell research?”

Biden received a thunderous ovation when he made the remark at a town hall style meeting this morning in Columbia.

When asked for if this could be interpreted this as being about Palin, Biden’s press secretary, David Wade, issued this statement.

“This is a clash of policies not a clash of personalities. We've heard not a dime's worth of difference between the McCain-Palin ticket and the Bush Administration on medical breakthroughs that millions of parents and doctors believe could save lives and transform the quality of life for countless Americans.”

APF said:
But enough about sliming Bill Clinton during the primaries.

Haha. Well, you won't see me defending Clinton's honesty or fidelity, but...

I would take a Clinton over a Bush any day of the week. I think some people are just unable to even remember what this country was like just 8 years ago.

Its a crying fucking shame how quickly Bush and his team of lying bastards has dismantled so much in such a short span of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom