• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkryhewy

Ponn01 said:
Except when he does that creepy ass yellowed teeth fake/forced smile of his.

McCain is like that Area 51 scientist in Independence Day, with the alien manipulating his larynx.

gcubed

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Bravo! Samantha Bee last night:lol :lol :lol

"Whats that Word im looking for....?"

you know, that word for when i have a few things i have to pick from... it was freakin hilarious

Kak.efes said:
Seriously, why is shit like that tolerated? I'm not even American, and I can't stand it.
Because if the
liberal
media doesn't allow the Republicans to spew their bullshit, they're being biased.

Even if the Democrats told you 1 + 1 = 2 and the Republicans told you 1 + 1 = 43, the media would report both positions as equal without actually telling you that the Democrats were actually right.

The Republicans LOVE taking advantage of this.
Ponn01 said:
Except when he does that creepy ass yellowed teeth fake/forced smile of his.
Don't forget the RAPID BLINKING when he does the smile!

GhaleonEB

syllogism said:
I hear Rasmussen is 48o-46m with leaners, not too bad especially if he changed his party id sauce
Remember, Obama got a three point bump in one day. Today is when that day rolls off the average.
gkrykewy said:
Rasmussen is goofy anyway. Any word on Gallup?
They come out in three hours.

theBishop said:
It might be sexist to say, but Palin is looking like the Stepford Vice President.

http://www.alternet.org/environment/97207/

7134777_BG5.jpg

Most people had never heard of Sarah Palin when she was named the Republican VP nominee. But I'd been hearing her name all too often, because I belong to a group called Defenders of Wildlife -- and in her time as governor of Alaska, Palin has used her position as governor of Alaska to ruin the Alaskan wilderness in every way she could.

Her most recent "victory" came on Aug. 26, when Alaska's voters defeated Measure 2, an initiative that would have banned hunting wolves from airplanes for sport.

Palin organized a campaign against Measure 2 and funded it with $400,000 of state money. For most of us, the idea of zooming around in a private airplane over snowbound wilderness just for the chance to spot a terrified wild dog and blow it apart with a high-powered rifle is insane. But there's a whole culture out there in love with the idea. Palin did her part by playing the tired old Alaskan pioneer card, saying that lower-48 naysayers who dared to object to the idea of dive-bombing wildlife didn't "understand rural Alaska."

Alaska isn't really very hard to understand. It consists of a minority that loves the wilderness and an overwhelmingly Republican majority that wants to squeeze all the cash it can get out of the state before the oil dries up, the fish die out and the wildlife disappears. Nowhere else does the Republican formula of manipulating the suckers by playing on their silly hatreds and even sillier vanities play out more clearly than in Alaska.

gcubed

GhaleonEB said:
Remember, Obama got a three point bump in one day. Today is when that day rolls off the average.

They come out in three hours.

and its still useless until next week when the entire convention is reflected. Then you can wait until Thursday so that the convention is out of it and its normalized.

Cheebs

syllogism said:
I hear Rasmussen is 48o-46m with leaners, not too bad especially if he changed his party id sauce
That means Obama was down a good deal, 3-5 points below McCain in yesterdays numbers since Obama was up 5 and it was a 3 day average.

gcubed

Cheebs said:
That means Obama was down a good deal, 3-5 points below McCain in yesterdays numbers since Obama was up 5 and it was a 3 day average.

see Ghaleon post above. The 3 pt bump is off today.

Cheebs

gcubed said:
see Ghaleon post above. The 3 pt bump is off today.
I honestly think we should ban daily tracking polls till monday so both conventions days will be out and be able to reflect both conventions lol

syllogism

Cheebs said:
I honestly think we should ban daily tracking polls till monday so both conventions days will be out and be able to reflect both conventions lol
Oh so NOW you want to ban tracking polls :p

Cheebs

syllogism said:
Oh so NOW you want to ban tracking polls :p
Conventions are a different situation. Conventions vastly mess with daily tracking polls and does not show where the race really is until the conventions are over.

syllogism

Cheebs said:
Conventions are a different situation. Conventions vastly mess with daily tracking polls and does not show where the race really is until the conventions are over.
Yes but when nothing is happening they are just statistical noise

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
The only real problem with them is people look at one day movements - usually statistical noise - and draw snap conclusions. They're useful for watching movement over the course of a week.

Kind of like the Politico article about Obama's rapidly fading bounce when the Gallup showed him dropping from eight points to six. They screeched about how Obama was in free fall. The next day, he was back up to eight. Then six. Then seven. :lol

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Frank the Great said:
Awesome. The only problem is that McCain will likely vote "Yes" on it, and instead of being seen as a flip flopper he will be seen as a bipartisan compromiser.

More likely he will just miss the vote.

GhaleonEB

Frank the Great said:
Awesome. The only problem is that McCain will likely vote "Yes" on it, and instead of being seen as a flip flopper he will be seen as a bipartisan compromiser.
He'll probably skip the vote, as he did on the GI bill.

Edit: curses.

gcubed

the way drudge writes his crap is about as self fulfilling and idiotic as possible. Look at me, i'm a blogger that writes like a new ticker... no i wasnt dropped on my head as a baby..

or maybe i was... DEVELOPING

Went to Youtube for the first time in ages today, and went to the "most viewed" list. Good lord. :O Half those video's are Palin's exceptance speech.

It actually has me worried that she's so popular. :/

I think that any ground the Republicans may have gained with Sarah Palin was lost two fold with McCain's abysmal abortion of a speech last night.
gkrykewy said:
Yes, she's the biggest celebrity in america. But is she ready to appear to be leading?
The Republicans can't do their stupid celebrity attack any more, plus they can't really attack Obama's experience without looking like dickwads.

Another thing I've been thinking about for a while.

Why are presidential elections in America always this "close". Either party still has a chance to win, even if the polls seem to favor one or another.
The republican vs democrat population seems to be a perfect half split.

Hasn't there ever been an election where months and months beforehand everybody knew who'd win, and the losing party might just as well have packed their bags and stopped campaigning altogether?

gkryhewy

polyh3dron said:
The Republicans can't do their stupid celebrity attack any more, plus they can't really attack Obama's experience without looking like dickwads.

Correct. They essentially have no arguments left. ZERO. I firmly believe this is at least half about setting Palin up for 2012.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Palin organized a campaign against Measure 2 and funded it with $400,000 of state money. For most of us, the idea of zooming around in a private airplane over snowbound wilderness just for the chance to spot a terrified wild dog and blow it apart with a high-powered rifle is insane. But there's a whole culture out there in love with the idea. Palin did her part by playing the tired old Alaskan pioneer card, saying that lower-48 naysayers who dared to object to the idea of dive-bombing wildlife didn't "understand rural Alaska."
"Pioneers" almost drove the buffalo to extinction because they shot them whenever they could for the fucking hell of it... from trains, no less!

Bulla564

Banned
capslock said:

I'm actually more interested in the Stop Excessive Energy Speculation Act, S. 3268. Americans will once again see the Republicans siding with oil companies and speculators, voting AGAINST stopping oil speculation.

QUESTION!!!

Oil prices have been falling. Is it due to lower demand?

Well, Harry Reid introduced the bill on July 16, 2008. Here is a chart of oil prices.

oil_price_jul_08.gif

YOU DECIDE.

qwertybob

Hitokage said:
"Pioneers" almost drove the buffalo to extinction because they shot them whenever they could for the fucking hell of it... from trains, no less!

I have no problem if they go out and hunt wolves etc....

...with a knife, using a gun is just cheating it doesnt give the target a chance

Souldriver said:
Another thing I've been thinking about for a while.

Why are presidential elections in America always this "close". Either party still has a chance to win, even if the polls seem to favor one or another.
The republican vs democrat population seems to be a perfect half split.

Hasn't there ever been an election where months and months beforehand everybody knew who'd win, and the losing party might just as well have packed their bags and stopped campaigning altogether?
Reagan.

polyh3dron said:
Well, seeing how completely hypocrite and ignorant the republican party and some of it's followers are, I fully expect them to continue to drop the "experience card" on Obama while suggesting Palin has 3000 years of experience on foreign policy because she shoots deers. And considering the ignorance of a lot of people, those attacks might actually keep working to gain republican voters.

I sometimes wonder what it would actually take for people to see how messed up this whole republican campaign/program/... is. McCain probably has to shoot a journalist dead in the middle of a debate or something. (The NRA might still back him up then... :p).

GhaleonEB

Just noticed this detail from First Read:

Meanwhile, NBC’s Savannah Guthrie notes that the Àlaska Senate Judiciary Committee, which is investigating Palin’s role in Troopergate, will issue a press release today at 1:00 pm ET. Guthrie was told that the committee will announce an earlier date for the issuance of its final report on the matter, which had originally been scheduled for October 31.
Moving the date up, rather than back, in response to Palin's stalling tactics.

Hitokage said:

Right. So Palin shoots moose in the woods, shoots wolves with rifles from airplanes, takes photos of dead animals with her kids but can't face any questions from the press.

BARRACUDA.

gun.jpg

woxel1

AniHawk said:
1st debate: Foreign policy and national security. Obama will offer actual solutions while McCain speaks in vague terms and generalities. McCain wins in the media because foreign policy is his thing, nevermind how awkward he comes across.

VP debate: Biden kicks so much ass it hurts. Palin does enough to 'hold her own' and the McCain campaign cries sexism win or lose. The media spin will be that she did really well as a newcomer against Biden who's been around forever and that she's ready.

2nd debate: A town hall. Brokaw moderates. Obama loses because town halls are McCain's thing.

3rd debate: Domestic issues. Obama will win the debate, but only slightly according to the media (gotta keep it close!). McCain continues to deliver in a vague and general style.
sad-face.jpg

polyh3dron said:
Thanks. Just wiki'd the 1980 en 1984 elections and the whole of America was collored red, except for Minnesota. :lol

And that for -imho- one of the worst presidents of the USA. :/

aceface

Souldriver said:
Thanks. Just wiki'd the 1980 en 1984 elections and the whole of America was collored red, except for Minnesota. :lol

And that for -imho- one of the worst presidents of the USA. :/

I think Clinton over Dole wasn't really close either.

MassiveAttack said:
Right. So Palin shoots moose in the woods, shoots wolves with rifles from airplanes, takes photos of dead animals with her kids but can't face any questions from the press.

BARRACUDA.

That's pretty funny when you put it that way :lol

Also, another great post on zompist blog:

Interesting article by Hannah Rosin: http://www.slate.com/id/2199255/

She starts by explaining why the religious right likes Palin– didn’t another cute-pit-bull candidate, Dan Quayle, actually castigate single mothers just 16 years ago? But it turns out that evangelicals have simply adopted ’60s morality:

The rest of the 30 percent of Americans who call themselves evangelical have started to slip in their morals and now actually poll worse than the rest of America on traditional measures of upstanding behavior—they are just as likely to live together and have kids out of wedlock, and their teenage daughters lose their virginities at an earlier age than the girls of most Americans.

…The most remarkable differences between the large mass of evangelicals and the rest of Americans are in divorce statistics. Since the ’70s, evangelicals and the coastal elites have effectively switched places. Evangelicals are now far more likely to get divorced, whereas couples with four years of college education have cut their divorce rates in half.

Narrowly, it’s a lesson for lefties: don’t assume based on the public issues of the ’80s that you know how evangelicals think and behave in the ’00s. More broadly, it’s a reminder that as a religious revival broadens, it also weakens. Only a small minority of human beings can actually follow strict religious rules. If they manage to take power, the rules will be broken, though perhaps only in private.

Wait, is this guy a GAFfer?

More from the Rosin article:

Some of this reaction can be explained just by listing the religious right's priorities in order. In the pantheon of family values, avoiding abortion sits at the top, above marriage or staying home to raise your children. Conservatives have spent the last 30 years seeding the country with crisis pregnancy centers dedicated to convincing young women not to abort their babies, regardless of their personal situations.

Gaborn

MassiveAttack said:

BARRACUDA.

gun.jpg

Do you have a source that she actually participated in it rather than supporting an individual's right to do it?

woxel1

AniHawk said:
I still have faith that CO will turn blue and get the solid win for Obama.
Yeah, good point, it comes down to an awful night of fingernail biting: which states are goin' bluuuuue....

suaveric

I don't know why Oprah wouldn't let Palin on her show. But there should be one condition: no question is off-limits. Oprah could grill her over all her non-feminist positions and maybe throw some foreign policy shit in there too. Ask her about spending tax payer's money on preserving the right to shoot wolves from airplanes. That will go over well I'm sure.

gcubed

suaveric said:
I don't know why Oprah wouldn't let Palin on her show. But there should be one condition: no question is off-limits. Oprah could grill her over all her non-feminist positions and maybe throw some foreign policy shit in there too. Ask her about spending tax payer's money on preserving the right to shoot wolves from airplanes. That will go over well I'm sure.

i am sure thats why Oprah didnt let her on the show. Most of these people go on shows like that with preconditions, and being a voice for women, I am sure Oprah wanted to grill her on everything, which was probably deemed off limits.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
bishoptl said:
Wow, that was some significant tap-dancing.

"She's a woman of her word, and she means what she says and says what she means"
"She cut special needs funding by 62%"
"You're a woman, Soledad, and you know that you say what you mean, just like she said what she means, and it's a privilege and an honour to..."

idiots
bish, she means what she said and she said what she means, how dare you doubt her :lol

Mars Martix was amazing. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I prefer playing with one button. Mash for rapid fire, press rhythmically or the shotgun blast, hold for shield and Gravity Hole Bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom