• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeliard said:
I think he did community organizing in between Columbia and Harvard, though, if that's what you were referring to.

*laughs*

Rudy-Giuliani.jpg

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Wow, Obama finally acknowledges Columbia after completely ignoring it for the past 25 years. Maybe he'll stop ignoring our requests for him to be commencement speaker.

Tamanon

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Is that actually true? I didn't know that. I might have had the order screwed up. Okay then, nevermind.

Yuppers, he graduated from Columbia, did some community organizing work then went to Harvard.

After four years in New York City, Obama moved to Chicago to work as a community organizer for three years from June 1985 to May 1988 as director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization originally comprising eight Catholic parishes in Greater Roseland (Roseland, West Pullman, and Riverdale) on Chicago's far South Side.[12][14] During his three years as the DCP's director, its staff grew from 1 to 13 and its annual budget grew from $70,000 to $400,000, with accomplishments including helping set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants' rights organization in Altgeld Gardens.[15] Obama also worked as a consultant and instructor for the Gamaliel Foundation, a community organizing institute.[16] In mid-1988, he traveled for the first time to Europe for three weeks then Kenya for five weeks where he met many of his Kenyan relatives for the first time.[17]

Obama entered Harvard Law School in late 1988 and at the end of his first year was selected as an editor of the Harvard Law Review based on his grades and a writing competition.[18] In his second year he was elected president of the Law Review, a full-time volunteer position functioning as editor-in-chief and supervising the law review's staff of 80 editors.[19] Obama's election in February 1990 as the first black president of the Harvard Law Review was widely reported and followed by several long, detailed profiles.[19] He graduated with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) magna cum laude from Harvard in 1991 and returned to Chicago where he had worked as a summer associate at the law firms of Sidley & Austin in 1989 and Hopkins & Sutter in 1990.[18][20]

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Editor&Publisher: AP: McCain's 'Straight Talk' Now 'Doublespeak'
By Charles Babington, The Associated Press
Published: September 11, 2008

WASHINGTON The "Straight Talk Express" has detoured into doublespeak.

Republican presidential nominee John McCain, a self-proclaimed tell-it-like-it-is maverick, keeps saying his running mate, Sarah Palin, killed the federally funded Bridge to Nowhere when, in fact, she pulled her support only after the project became a political embarrassment. He accuses Democrat Barack Obama of calling Palin a pig, which did not happen. He says Obama would raise nearly everyone's taxes, when independent groups say 80 percent of families would get tax cuts instead.

Even in a political culture accustomed to truth-stretching, McCain's skirting of facts has stood out this week. It has infuriated and flustered Obama's campaign, and campaign pros are watching to see how much voters disregard news reports noting factual holes in the claims....

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Excellent answer.

The internet is Obama territory. If they leaked it to a local news affiliate maybe this would matter.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://www.newsweek.com/id/158392/output/print

The GOP is working to keep eligible African-Americans from voting in several states.

It was a mainstay of Jim Crow segregation: for 100 years after the Civil War, Southern white Democrats kept eligible blacks from voting with poll taxes, literacy tests and property requirements. Starting in the 1960s, the U.S. Supreme Court declared these assaults on the heart of American democracy unconstitutional.

Now, with the help of a 2008 Supreme Court decision, Crawford vs. Marion County (Indiana) Election Board, white Republicans in some areas will keep eligible blacks from voting by requiring driver's licenses. Not only is this new-fangled discrimination constitutional, it's spreading.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
kame-sennin said:
I hope so. Still disagree though.

Columbia is publicly funded? (no sarcasm)

I'm not sure.

It's really misleading to suggest that ROTC isn't here at all

In the 2005-06 academic year, the Columbia Military Society, Columbia's student group for ROTC cadets and Marine officer candidates, was renamed the Hamilton Society for "students who aspire to serve their nation through the military in the tradition of Alexander Hamilton".

giga

artredis1980 said:
i missed it, can someone do an honest comparison of obama vs mccain?
mccain did well. obama doing well too. really uninteresting to me though as all they're asking is about national service.

Amir0x

Banned
youtube comments always make me smile:

haha their hypocrisy was on display in the very first question. i wonder why they don't ask obama about his TOTAL LACK OF EXPERIENCE? oh i almost forgot, the immense corruption of the american media is entirely in the tank for obama. for the first time in america you have the media openly CAMPAIGNING for a candidate. this is extremely dangerous

maybe this was a GAFer being sarcastic though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom