• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hitokage said:
Imagine not having to lift a finger for most of your annual income. Imagine only being taxed on the small portion you actually had to work for. After all, unearned income is sacred, earned income not as much.

its apparent you don't know many CEOs. I cant speak for every industry, but for the company i work for he is by far busiest, and hardest working. Traveling every Monday through Friday, and working every weekend. Especially during these hard times in the automotive industry so no employees need to be layed off. Most of you probably have this imagination of the corporate fat cat, Enron type, but let me tell you from many i have met, this is not the norm.

Cloudy

Banned
AndyIsTheMoney said:
i was younger in the 90s, but wasn't Clinton perceived as friendly in terms of business and taxes? I thought he was much more central in this area. plus he had a repub congress most of the time also:D

I was also younger (and not as interested/informed) but Obama's tax plan is NOTHING MORE than raising the highest income tax rate to 39% (like in the Clinton years) and raising the capital gains tax on people making OVER $250,000 from 15% to 20%. That's it...

With the money from that, he wants to decrease the tax burden on the middle class and in turn stimulate the economy (a true "trickle-down"). Does it hurt very rich? Yep but they're still in much better shape than 95% of Americans who will be getting tax cuts..

its apparent you don't know many CEOs. I cant speak for every industry, but for the company i work for he is by far busiest, and hardest working. Traveling every Monday through Friday, and working every weekend. Especially during these hard times in the automotive industry so no employees need to be layed off. Most of you probably have this imagination of the corporate fat cat, Enron type, but let me tell you from many i have met, this is not the norm.

I wouldn't blame that guy for voting McCain if taxes are the most important thing to him..

devilhawk

maximum360 said:
Outside of the political skits, SNL is terrible.
I agree. They were at their best during the 2000 election when the decision went to the courts. The skit where Gore was talking about the Florida ballots was amazing. Wish I could find the skit.

gkryhewy

AndyIsTheMoney said:
i was younger in the 90s, but wasn't Clinton perceived as friendly in terms of business and taxes? I thought he was much more central in this area. plus he had a repub congress most of the time also:D

You were....younger in the 90s? :lol

And yeah, that 1994 congress worked out really well.

Christ - there's just no helping some people.

Flakster99

The Blue Jihad said:
It's uncanny...I'm watching it again just to be sure of what I saw. And heard.

Even during the news segment they took Palin to task. ;)
Up to this point, political satire skit wise, well done, sln.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AndyIsTheMoney said:
Note I never said they were lazy, although companies like Home Depot make me wonder. :p

AndyIsTheMoney said:
imagine paying 50-60% in taxes. so for 6 months out of the year you are solely working for the gov...and people say you dont pay enough

Considering that the earned income rate is 39%, and capital gains is 15%, there's something going wrong here. Those that depend on earned income are taxed at 39% without much wiggle room, but they usually cap out around 500,000. Those that earn more than 250,000$ usually have other earning options at their disposal, such as stock, that are taxed at a lesser rate, usually 15%.

Those that earn enough to take advantage of the capital gains tax to cover the majority of the money they earn can take advantage of many tax laws to reduce their rates even further.

Your friend is doing it wrong.

Byakuya769 said:
Yea she was good, though I wanted to hear "18 million CahRACKS in the glass ceiling"

She looks, spot on. And once you hear her voice.

God damn.

That skit is what I needed to see all week. There's been far too much stress in PoliGAF as of late, me included, and that little bit of Palin/Clinton goodness was enough to recharge my batteries.

Yeah, its a fight. A long, exasperating, drawn out fight. And nobody is going to come out of this on the other side without scars. Fights diminish both sides. But the stakes are high.

Doesn't mean we can't take a step back and have some fun. I still have faith in the people of this country that enough of us will at least stop, take a breath, and make a choice that matters, wherever the lines might be drawn.

'Palin on SNL': "Global warming is just God huggin us closer."

:lol

Hillary on SNL: Stop referring to me as "Boner-shrinker".

:lol :lol :lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Fragamemnon said:
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/13/1394679.aspx

Sarah Palin apparently gave the same stump speech again in Nevada this evening, complete with the THNX BUT NO THNX bullshit and the eBay lie.

The campaign also estimated that 10,000 people showed up at the Pavilion where the event was held, despite park officials saying that the venue only holds 3,500 people at capacity.

It's like the Democrats wrote the chain of events for their narrative and the GOP followed it, this is getting absurd.

WHY DO THEY KEEP LYING?! Seriously what's the point? If that many people aren't showing up then that means you can't act like 5K more people were there. It's not like those invisible people should count.

Tamanon said:
Never underestimate a strong, contrarian attitude. I'm pretty sure I got APF to argue that the sky is yellow one time.

Your eyes are just biased towards the higher energy wavelength end of the spectrum. If you were more biologically diverse and receptive towards longer wavelengths, perhaps you could see that the sky is yellow to some of us. Stop being close minded and open your eyes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Gaborn said:
Yep, for the record I think it's about 50/50 right now, it honestly could go either way and no one on either side should be overly confident or overly panicked.

I agree with you. I'd just like to point this out because it doesn't happen much.

Tamanon said:
Never underestimate a strong, contrarian attitude. I'm pretty sure I got APF to argue that the sky is yellow one time.

ok, obviously i was younger, i was just saying i was a younger person, and cared more about other shit than politics, so i wouldn't remember as much politically from the Clinton years as i would the Bush years.

Palin did great on SNL. She needs to do more television.

if you didn't tell me that was Tina Fey before-hand, I wouldn't have known. She was spot on.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
Maybe they can't just stop at one.

It's like potato chips and masturbation.
I'm so glad they're not. I don't think they see the narrative shifting under their feet, and it's going to hit them hard in the next week.

I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If the GOP was actually able to regularly throw out millions of votes, the Dems wouldn't have won in 06. I'm not going to get too worried about that kind of stuff.

GhaleonEB

Y2Kev said:
If the GOP was actually able to regularly throw out millions of votes, the Dems wouldn't have won in 06. I'm not going to get too worried about that kind of stuff.
Truth. Especially some of those ultra close races.

devilhawk

mckmas8808 said:
WHY DO THEY KEEP LYING?! Seriously what's the point? If that many people aren't showing up then that means you can't act like 5K more people were there. It's not like those invisible people should count.
How bout you stop propagating lies yourself. MSNBC spouts as much BS as the republicans (and since it was worded oddly, you misinterpreted it).

An estimated 10,000 people were waiting at the Pony Express Pavilion in Carson City to see Palin at 6 p.m., according to Carson City Sheriff's Office estimates.

However, only 3,500 will be let in to see Palin speak in her first Nevada campaign stop. Everyone else will have to be content with watching outside the pavilion on big screens with amplified speakers.
http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080913/NEWS19/80913022

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Cloudy said:
Again, those are AVERAGES. It's just going back to the Clinton tax rates. Were those years really so bad?

That said, if I was making that much and only cared about tax policies, I'd be tempted to vote McCain too. It's everyone else that I can't understand..
Got it. Thanks1

maximum360 said:
'Palin on SNL': "Global warming is just God huggin us closer."

:lol

Hillary on SNL: Stop referring to me as "Boner-shrinker".

:lol :lol :lol

"You know Sarah.. Looking back. If I could change one thing - I should've wanted it more.

Mwahaha! Hawahaha! oh yeahhhh *Cackle* *rips off a piece of the podium*"

Pure fucking genius.

GhaleonEB

iby.h said:
fire with fire man, fire with fire.
As Obama said, he's going to hit back, but not start making up lies about McCain. There's a right and wrong way to slag McCain.

Also, MSNBC didn't lie.

Nevada Lt. Gov. Brian Krolicki said on stage that 10,000 people were in the crowd, but parks officials said the pavilion held only 3,500 people.
When I read that, it sounds like 10,000 were there, but only 3,500 were inside the pavilion. No contradiction.

devilhawk

mckmas8808 said:
I wonder why MSNBC said what they said. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they told them 10K were let in.
Well my ultra paranoid guess would be that the MSNBC writer wrote the statement ambigously as possible so that the 500 comments that followed are all screaming liar, liar. Then the blogs can pick up on the suppose lie and it can spread all over.

But I know better than that. The writer just sucks.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AndyIsTheMoney said:

It's apparent you don't know too may single mothers holding down two jobs then. And you should measure the scale of their efforts, versus the compensation.

And let's look at compensation versus profit, since you're in the US auto industry.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
devilhawk said:
Well my ultra paranoid guess would be that the MSNBC writer wrote the statement ambigously as possible so that the 500 comments that followed are all screaming liar, liar. Then the blogs can pick up on the suppose lie and it can spread all over.

But I know better than that. The writer just sucks.

...well that number is "over 9000" - perhaps the msnbc writer is part of anonymous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom