• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Hitokage said:
What the hell? Wachovia better be ok or this city is gonna be hurting badly. :(

Yeah that was kinda shocking. I can only assume it's jitters causing all the banks to fall. I haven't seen ANYTHING about Wachovia running rough.

Haunted

Hitokage said:
As a site whose members broke into her email acount? Are you fucking retarded?
2mop1lx.png

dailykos isn't some backwater website. Markos Moulitsas is a fairly rspected liberal voice and has been on MSNBC many times, and on Charlie Rose's show. Not comparable at all.

If I create a local news show full of neo-nazi's and air it publicly does their existence mean news station are no longer part of the media.

It is a highly-partisan blog site. Anyone that spends time reading it pretty much was going to vote for Obama so it made no difference.

A highly-partisan blog site is not comes to mind when someone says 'the media'. Can I start digging up volumes of insanity from the freepers and call that 'the media'. No!

Did Markos Moulitsas come up with this story? I doubt it. Did he mention it on any of those shows? Not that I know.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tamanon said:
Yeah that was kinda shocking. I can only assume it's jitters causing all the banks to fall. I haven't seen ANYTHING about Wachovia running rough.
One of the big worries about Wachovia is the prospect of a buyout, removing our town from its current capitol status, but apparently the portfolio it got from a recent acquisition was too toxic for other buyers to be even interested.

Banned
speculawyer said:
Let me go out on a limb here . . . I believe the assumption is that because the daughter is pregnant, she did NOT follow the mother lockstep in every social view. And as a 17 year-old daughter living in the house of the mother, this brings into question the efficacy of such abstinence-only policy. That is the point.
Abstinence focuses completely on the argument of self-control. If the daughter got pregnant, it's her choice. It doesn't reflect on Palin or on Abstinence which does work(obviously) if you follow it.

That's the entire point of the sex-ed argument. It's been boiled into "religion vs. atheists" crap but it is really just the argument that other sex ed programs invite a "Don't worry, the condom, birth control, whatever will protect us" mindset that will lead to more children taking more chances with sex. This is how most Americans see it, hence why abstincecne is taught everywhere and I think a lot of parents saw the argument many news station brought up and thought it was crap

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Fragamemnon said:
Someone should ask McCain what the economy would look like if the fundamentals were not strong, and then compare and contrast to reality.

Hypothetical McCain said:
Well, it would be a lot like my time as a prisoner of war: horrible conditions, little hope for survival and ultimately, an infallible crutch for me to fall on. Oh. Wait. Scratch that last part.

Not that hypothetical, really.

Banned
speculawyer said:
It is a highly-partisan blog site. Anyone that spends time reading it pretty much was going to vote for Obama so it made no difference.

A highly-partisan blog site is not comes to mind when someone says 'the media'. Can I start digging up volumes of insanity from the freepers and call that 'the media'. No!

Did Markos Moulitsas come up with this story? I doubt it. Did he mention it on any of those shows? Not that I know.
Partisanship excludes you? Explain Fox news? Explain MSNBC, Explain the New York Times.

It was a conspiracy theory on one of the biggest political blogs out there. It's a growing pain of a new type of media, not some sort of disqualifier.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Hitokage said:
What the hell? Wachovia better be ok or this city is gonna be hurting badly. :(
as i've followed it Wachovia's stock has been dropping for over a year because, like WaMu, they have a ton of exposure in risky securities. they still haven't dipped past their low in mid-July (think they were under 10 at that point).

Tamanon

Banned
Abstinence focuses completely on the argument of self-control. If the daughter got pregnant, it's her choice. It doesn't reflect on Palin or on Abstinence which does work(obviously) if you follow it.

That's the entire point of the sex-ed argument. It's been boiled into "religion vs. atheists" crap but it is really just the argument that other sex ed programs invite a "Don't worry, the condom, birth control, whatever will protect us" mindset that will lead to more children taking more chances with sex. This is how most Americans see it, hence why abstincecne is taught everywhere and I think a lot of parents saw the argument many news station brought up and thought it was crap

Er....you're trying to make it sound like sex-ed only teaches people to have sex and protect. Instead of what it actually teaches about fidelity and only doing what you feel comfortable with, then being safe. Abstinence teaches NO SEX, and then doesn't give any options for protection if they choose to have sex.

Xisiqomelir

M3wThr33 said:
Well, this is neither here nor there, but the majority of other countries out there seem to prefer Obama, as well. That natural charisma can do wonders for international relations on its own.

2mwtgnn.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Except that actual science and research have demonstrated that your gambit is faulty. Teaching absitenence over other methods leads to higher rates of the problems you're trying to address. You're basically telling the demographic with the least self control, to rely on self control above all other methods.

gcubed

OuterWorldVoice said:
Except that actual science and research have demonstrated that your gambit is faulty. Teaching absitenence over other methods leads to higher rates of the problems you're trying to address. You're basically telling the demographic with the least self control, to rely on self control above all other methods.

there is no room for science and research in this argument!

and here we go.....

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:UBS&client=ft

UBS Ag Financial

UBS AG (USA)
(Public, NYSE:UBS) - Add to Portfolio - Discuss UBS Find more results for UBS

-3.60 (-17.43%)

CIT Group Inc
Industry: Finance-CommercialAdd Security to your Watch List

14:56 New York Currency: USD

Price8.770 Change-2.710 % Change-23.606

Citigroup Inc
Industry: Finance-Invest Bnkr/BrkrAdd Security to your Watch List

Price15.340 Change-2.620 % Change-14.588

OuterWorldVoice said:

OuterWorldVoice said:
You're basically telling the demographic with the least self control, to rely on self control above all other methods.

OuterWorldVoice said:
You're basically telling the demographic with the least self control, to rely on self control above all other methods.

In case anyone missed it...

The Lamonster said:
Sure. In this phase of the campaign, we are just trying to see who is supporting who so we know who we need to call in the future. Once somebody is identified as a McCain or Obama supporter, we will not call them ever again. There simply isn't enough time. We are trying to pinpoint the "leaners" and undecideds.

There are four types of people:

1) Obama supporters. SUPER nice and sometimes they thank me for doing what I'm doing. They all would love to volunteer but some might be too busy in their lives to commit any time to it. We thank them for their support and encourage them to register new voters before October and we "look forward to seeing them in November."

2) Undecideds. We tell them the date of the first debate and encourage them to watch and we answer any questions they might have about the issues (you don't have to do this, but I choose to ask).

3) Private voters. These people are borderline rude but they say they won't talk politics over the phone, or they say it's private or they want on the "do not call list."

4) McCain supporters. They're obviously rude and we don't want to waste any time with them. We simply say "thank you," *CLICK*
So does this phone banking sound like something anyone would want to do? They really need more help.

Tamanon

Banned
artredis1980 said:
and here we go.....

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:UBS&client=ft

UBS Ag Financial

UBS AG (USA)
(Public, NYSE:UBS) - Add to Portfolio - Discuss UBS Find more results for UBS

-3.60 (-17.43%)

CIT Group Inc
Industry: Finance-CommercialAdd Security to your Watch List

Price8.770 Change-2.710 % Change-23.606

Citigroup Inc
Industry: Finance-Invest Bnkr/BrkrAdd Security to your Watch List

Price15.340 Change-2.620 % Change-14.588

Citigroup luckily didn't change too much because it's stock was already in the toilet after years of Chuck Prince running the place into the ground.:p

there is one good news from the financial collapse of the finance giants

OIL has plunged to what it was a year ago and airline stocks are up by more than what they have been in last 5 years

Airlines rose on speculation that oil's retreat will improve their profit outlook. AMR Corp. (AMR:US) rose 12 percent to $11.67. Continental Airlines Inc. (CAL:US) climbed 5.4 percent to $19.97. AirTran Holdings Inc. (AAI:US) gained 10 percent to $2.96. UAL Corp. (UAUA:US) jumped 12 percent to $12.71. US Airways Group Inc. (LCC:US) increased 6.6 percent to $8.40.

Wow . . . you should be a spin doctor since
1) you completely dodged the argument . . . this is on abstinence-only sex ed POLICY. (See the bolding?)
2) presented obvious facts . . . Abstinence works? Duh!
3) Created a strawman as if the only alternative is tell kids it is OK to fuck like rabbits as long as they use condoms.

I give up.

Clipjoint

Huffington Post said:
Fascist writer Westbrook Pegler, an avowed racist who Sarah Palin approvingly quoted in her acceptance speech for the moral superiority of small town values, expressed his fervent hope about my father, Robert F. Kennedy, as he contemplated his own run for the presidency in 1965, that "some white patriot of the Southern tier will spatter his spoonful of brains in public premises before the snow flies."

It might be worth asking Governor Palin for a tally of the other favorites from her reading list.
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Great line

WrikaWrek

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:

Too true.

I just don't get what's the deal, i've been following this campaign, and watching MSNBC, CNN, reading articles on the net, and i've followed it since Obama vs Hillary.

Why is it not a shoe in? What, i don't understand, this Mccain dude is straight retard, and just because Palin is a women now people are all like "whoa", i mean what?

People know she isn't actually the one running for President right? Well whatever. 4 more years of stupidity i guess.

Real Clear Politics - The bounce has gone, the polls have tightened considerably and now McCain has an average of +1.6 over Obama, which is lower than 2.1 they had yesterday

speculawyer said:

No. ANYBODY can make a diary post about ANYTHING on DailyKos. Which is what happened with the Palin rumors. It was a user that whipped up the rumor, not the editorial portion of the site.

Gaborn

speculawyer said:
Wow . . . you should be a spin doctor since
1) you completely dodged the argument . . . this is on abstinence-only sex ed POLICY. (See the bolding?)
2) presented obvious facts . . . Abstinence works? Duh!
3) Created a strawman as if the only alternative is tell kids it is OK to fuck like rabbits as long as they use condoms.

I give up.
In a widely quoted 2006 survey she answered during her gubernatorial campaign, Palin said she supported abstinence-until-marriage programs. But weeks later, she proclaimed herself "pro-contraception" and said condoms ought to be discussed in schools alongside abstinence.

"I'm pro-contraception, and I think kids who may not hear about it at home should hear about it in other avenues," she said during a debate in Juneau.

Source

?

laserbeam

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Too true.

I just don't get what's the deal, i've been following this campaign, and watching MSNBC, CNN, reading articles on the net, and i've followed it since Obama vs Hillary.

Why is it not a shoe in? What, i don't understand, this Mccain dude is straight retard, and just because Palin is a women now people are all like "whoa", i mean what?

People know she isn't actually the one running for President right? Well whatever. 4 more years of stupidity i guess.

Maybe it is because McCain is not retarded but is saying alot of shit to get elected.

And on that Map only 1 Country matters in this election and Ill give you a hint its the one where the election is. The Rest of the world can suck it and will deal with the United States regardless of who is President.

WrikaWrek

Banned
The Lamonster said:
dude your hopium dealer must have sold you some bunk

Just sayin, i'm getting flashbacks.

laserbeam said:
Maybe it is because McCain is not retarded but is saying alot of shit to get elected.

And on that Map only 1 Country matters in this election and Ill give you a hint its the one where the election is. The Rest of the world can suck it and will deal with the United States regardless of who is President.

Sorry if we all wish for the beast to each other. You need to step on the "World united" bandwagon.

artredis1980 said:
BANG

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:LEH-P&client=ft

LEHMAN BROS HLDGS (Public, NYSE:LEH-P) - Add to Portfolio - Discuss LEH-P Find more results for LEH-P
-316.74 (-99.08%)

NEXT UP (AIG Assurance)

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:AIG&client=ft

American International Group, Inc. (Public, NYSE:AIG) - Add to Portfolio - Discuss AIG Find more results for AIG
-6.48 (-53.39%)

and AFTER THAT (Wachovia)

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:WB-S&client=ft

Wachovia Corp (New) PRFD 'S' (Public, NYSE:WB-S) - Add to Portfolio - Discuss WB-S Find more results for WB-S
-3.47 (-24.00%)

gauntlet-ii-20070501003854183-000.jpg

Economy needs food badly?

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
I want to see the studies that show that programs that clearly don't teach abstinence are more successful than programs that do. Nearly every sex ed program in this country teaches abstinence in one form or another.

Thank you gaborn.

The biggest difference between Alaskan schools and other schools is they don't give out condoms. Many schools don't do that, including schools in super liberal California.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If you're a minority and you're selected for a job over more qualified candidates you're a "token hire."
If you're a conservative and you're selected for a job over more qualified candidates you're a "game changer."

Black teen pregnancies? A "crisis" in black America.
White teen pregnancies? A "blessed event."

If you grow up in Hawaii you're "exotic."
Grow up in Alaska eating mooseburgers, you're the quintessential "American story."

Similarly, if you name you kid Barack you're "unpatriotic."
Name your kid Track, you're "colorful."

If you're a Democrat and you make a VP pick without fully vetting the individual you're "reckless."
A Republican who doesn't fully vet is a "maverick."

If you spend 3 years as a community organizer growing your organization from a staff of 1 to 13 and your budget from $70,000 to $400,000, then become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new African Amerian voters, spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor, then spend nearly 8 more years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, becoming chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, then spend nearly 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of nearly 13 million people, sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees, you are woefully inexperienced.

If you spend 4 years on the city council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people, then spend 20 months as the governor of a state with 650,000 people, then you've got the most executive experience of anyone on either ticket, are the Commander in Chief of the Alaska military and are well qualified to lead the nation should you be called upon to do so because your state is the closest state to Russia.

If you are a Democratic male candidate who is popular with millions of people you are an "arrogant celebrity".
If you are a popular Republican female candidate you are "energizing the base".

If you are a younger male candidate who thinks for himself and makes his own decisions you are "presumptuous".
If you are an older male candidate who makes last minute decisions you refuse to explain, you are a "shoot from the hip" maverick.

If you are a candidate with a Harvard law degree you are "an elitist-out of touch" with the real America.
if you are a legacy (dad and granddad were admirals) graduate of Anapolis, with multiple disciplinary infractions you are a hero.

If you manage a multi-million dollar nationwide campaign, you are an "empty suit".
If you are a part time mayor of a town of 7000 people, you are an "experienced executive".

If you go to a south side Chicago church, your beliefs are "extremist".
If you believe in creationism and don't believe global warming is man made, you are "strongly principled".

If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a Christian.
If you have been married to the same woman with whom you've been wed to for 19 years and raising 2 beautiful daughters with, you're "risky".

If you're a black single mother of 4 who waits for 22 hours after her water breaks to seek medical attention, you're an irresponsible parent, endangering the life of your unborn child.
But if you're a white married mother who waits 22 hours, you're spunky.

If you're a 13-year-old Chelsea Clinton, the right-wing press calls you "First dog."
If you're a 17-year old pregnant unwed daughter of a Republican, the right-wing press calls you "beautiful" and "courageous."

If you kill an endangered species, you're an excellent hunter.
If you have an abortion your not a christian, you're a murderer ( forget about if it happen while being date raped.)

If you teach abstinence only in sex education, you get teen parents.
If you teach responsible age appropriate sex education, including the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.

If you're a Republican senator who solicits gay sex in an airport bathroom, you get to return to your job in the Senate and are encouraged to run for re-election.
If you're a Democratic Senator who is out of public office and have an affair, your political career is over and your wife who has terminal cancer is to blame.

This just came through my email from like 3 people.

Partisanship excludes you? Explain Fox news? Explain MSNBC, Explain the New York Times.

It was a conspiracy theory on one of the biggest political blogs out there. It's a growing pain of a new type of media, not some sort of disqualifier.

Again . . . you dodge the argument. I said highly-partisan blog. Let's break it down:
1) blog . . . some text on this internet . . . like the message you are reading right now. I guess I'm party of the media? Blogs are wanna-be media.
2) Partisan . . . it is coming from a specific view point. Most of the readers already agree, thus it is not a place where people go for news info.
3) Highly-partisan - These are the devoted followers of the view. It is created by and for those of that view.

Your original complaint was about 'the media' talking about some crazy conspiracy theory for 4 - 5 days. I've asked you to post some links to these stories but you came up with none. It comes down to a conspiracy theory on a highly-partisan blog. Yeah . . . the facts!

Can't we agree that 'the media' talking about something for '4 - 5 days' is not the same as a conspiracy theory on a highly-partisan blog? Is that really too difficult to agree to?

Gaborn

BobLoblaw said:
We'll be the fucking laughing stock of the world if McCain wins. :lol

Don't worry, according to that totally representative survey 80% of the United States is going to vote for Obama anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom