• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
White Privilege, White Entitlement and the 2008 Election(Written by a white guy before you guys jump on me and say this is biased and racist)

A BUZZFLASH GUEST CONTRIBUTION
by Tim Wise

For those who still can’t grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are constantly looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it, perhaps this list will help.

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because "every family has challenges," even as black and Latino families with similar "challenges" are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a "fuckin’ redneck," like Bristol Palin’s boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll "kick their fuckin' ass," and talk about how you like to "shoot shit" for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.

White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island of Manhattan, makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don’t all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you’re "untested."

White privilege is being able to say that you support the words "under God" in the pledge of allegiance because "if it was good enough for the founding fathers, it’s good enough for me," and not be immediately disqualified from holding office--since, after all, the pledge was written in the late 1800s and the "under God" part wasn’t added until the 1950s--while believing that reading accused criminals and terrorists their rights (because, ya know, the Constitution, which you used to teach at a prestigious law school requires it), is a dangerous and silly idea only supported by mushy liberals.

White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you. White privilege is being able to have a husband who was a member of an extremist political party that wants your state to secede from the Union, and whose motto was "Alaska first," and no one questions your patriotism or that of your family, while if you're black and your spouse merely fails to come to a 9/11 memorial so she can be home with her kids on the first day of school, people immediately think she’s being disrespectful.

White privilege is being able to make fun of community organizers and the work they do--like, among other things, fight for the right of women to vote, or for civil rights, or the 8-hour workday, or an end to child labor--and people think you’re being pithy and tough, but if you merely question the experience of a small town mayor and 18-month governor with no foreign policy expertise beyond a class she took in college--you’re somehow being mean, or even sexist.

White privilege is being able to convince white women who don’t even agree with you on any substantive issue to vote for you and your running mate anyway, because all of a sudden your presence on the ticket has inspired confidence in these same white women, and made them give your party a "second look."

White privilege is being able to fire people who didn’t support your political campaigns and not be accused of abusing your power or being a typical politician who engages in favoritism, while being black and merely knowing some folks from the old-line political machines in Chicago means you must be corrupt.

White privilege is being able to attend churches over the years whose pastors say that people who voted for John Kerry or merely criticize George W. Bush are going to hell, and that the U.S. is an explicitly Christian nation and the job of Christians is to bring Christian theological principles into government, and who bring in speakers who say the conflict in the Middle East is God’s punishment on Jews for rejecting Jesus, and everyone can still think you’re just a good church-going Christian, but if you’re black and friends with a black pastor who has noted (as have Colin Powell and the U.S. Department of Defense) that terrorist attacks are often the result of U.S. foreign policy and who talks about the history of racism and its effect on black people, you’re an extremist who probably hates America.

White privilege is not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is when asked by a reporter, and then people get angry at the reporter for asking you such a "trick question," while being black and merely refusing to give one-word answers to the queries of Bill O’Reilly means you’re dodging the question, or trying to seem overly intellectual and nuanced.

White privilege is being able to claim your experience as a POW has anything at all to do with your fitness for president, while being black and experiencing racism is, as Sarah Palin has referred to it, a "light" burden.

And finally, white privilege is the only thing that could possibly allow someone to become president when he has voted with George W. Bush 90 percent of the time, even as unemployment is skyrocketing, people are losing their homes, inflation is rising, and the U.S. is increasingly isolated from world opinion, just because white voters aren’t sure about that whole "change" thing. Ya know, it’s just too vague and ill-defined, unlike, say, four more years of the same, which is very concrete and certain.

White privilege is, in short, the problem.

Him Talking about White Privilege

I want to see the studies that show that programs that clearly don't teach abstinence are more successful than programs that do. Nearly every sex ed program in this country teaches abstinence in one form or another.
NO ONE IS SAYING THAT YOU SHOULD NOT TEACH ABSTINENCE!

Abstinence-only is the issue.

Sheesh!

Edit: Well, that LA Times article Gaborn posted was news to me. I was only aware of the 2006 governors questionaire. So now she's gone from abstinence-only to position unknown due to political flip-flopping.

laserbeam

Banned
yoopoo said:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=d0oD7P7tsi4

Anyone see this yet? Russia claims that US and Isreal are going to bomb Iran so they can put the puppet, McCain, in the office for 8 more years. And the next conflict with Russia will be in 2016 :lol

Bush 100% wont attack Iran that is pretty much guaranteed. Israel is the other story. They just ordered 1,000 Small Bunker Buster Bombs and its been reported it would take several hundred of these class bombs to destroy the facilities in Iran. 1,000 seems to be sufficient to ensure total destruction.

Israel signed a treaty with Georgia to use Georgian Airfields in case of a strike against Iran due to it being shorter distance flight etc.

All evidence seems to support Israel strike.

Banned
speculawyer said:
Again . . . you dodge the argument. I said highly-partisan blog. Let's break it down:
1) blog . . . some text on this internet . . . like the message you are reading right now. I guess I'm party of the media? Blogs are wanna-be media.
2) Partisan . . . it is coming from a specific view point. Most of the readers already agree, thus it is not a place where people go for news info.
3) Highly-partisan - These are the devoted followers of the view. It is created by and for those of that view.

Your original complaint was about 'the media' talking about some crazy conspiracy theory for 4 - 5 days. I've asked you to post some links to these stories but you came up with none. It comes down to a conspiracy theory on a highly-partisan blog. Yeah . . . the facts!

Can't we agree that 'the media' talking about something for '4 - 5 days' is not the same as a conspiracy theory on a highly-partisan blog? Is that really too difficult to agree to?
1. i never said the conspiracy carried for 4-5 days. i said Bristol did. You want youtube links about Bristol palin?
2. lol blogs are wannabe media. The future is going to hit you hard.
3. many people pick up news at partisan places. You didn't comment on MSNBC or Fox News at all, 2 big media outlets that are clearly partisan. Highly Partisan look at magazines like the New York Times or Reason or hell the economist even has some news stories. All are considered media and only Reason I wouldn't call mainstream

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Since my question wasn't answered in the oil thread, will the dollar strengthen due to the drop in oil prices?
Already has been:

nybpqc.jpg

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Since my question wasn't answered in the oil thread, will the dollar strengthen due to the drop in oil prices?
the dollar will fall becuase of the banks.

MThanded-Looks like someone is full of white guilt:lol

speculawyer said:
NO ONE IS SAYING THAT YOU SHOULD NOT TEACH ABSTINENCE!

Abstinence-only is the issue.

Sheesh!
They don't teach abstinence-only.

1. i never said the conspiracy carried for 4-5 days. i said Bristol did. You want youtube links about Bristol palin?
Yes. And I don't just mean camera pans to her in the crowd, or a reference that she is, in fact, pregnant. I mean coverage that independants at home might find distasteful.

And the other 4-5 days of coverage come from where?

A lot of people thought the coverage was stupid and overextended, especially when it started to involve her social views on abstinence.
I'm going to be nice: Shut the fuck up.

The story broke on the monday Gustav hit New Orleans. By Tuesday morning Gustav was forgotten and every fucking republican talking head had gotten the email to cry on television about how unfair the media was in covering Bristol's Baby.

MThanded

PhoenixDark said:
please stop posting this stuff. all these interracial dating ads are making me uncomfortable
Your not trying to pick up a nice white chick phoenix??? Whats wrong with you?

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
Yes. And I don't just mean camera pans to her in the crowd, or a reference that she is, in fact, pregnant. I mean coverage that independants at home might find distasteful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u-IjBchiB4

about 2 sec search on youtube. The beginning has the obnoxious "sky is falling. Abstinence is evil" rhetoric and the second half, i believe going on what independents normally vote on is what most indies will agree is the right response.

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
The story broke on the monday Gustav hit New Orleans. By Tuesday morning Gustav was forgotten and every fucking republican talking head had gotten the email to cry on television about how unfair the media was in covering Bristol's Baby.
:lol Yeah No one was talking about hurricane Gustav while the original RNC was being moved

Kifimbo

First, is the dollar rising because oil prices are dropping or are the oil prices dropping because the dollar is rising ? I think it's the latter.

Second, I think it's temporary. I expect a sharp drop of the US dollar soon. I don't want to use the word collapse, but I wouldn't bet against it. Why ? Because huge liabilities are now transfered to the government because of all the bailouts. Now, how do you repay all that ? Either you tax people, borrow more money from China, or you create the money out of thin air with the Fed. The last scenario is the most likely, which means a huge expansion of the money supply and a huge devaluation of the dollar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u-IjBchiB4

about 2 sec search on youtube. The beginning has the obnoxious "sky is falling. Abstinence is evil" rhetoric and the second half, i believe going on what independents normally vote on is what most indies will agree is the right response.
That was a typical panel addressing a story going on in the political world. Left wing talking point guy came on and argued a point that most are sensible enough to stay away from, and then Bill Kristol smacked him down. Shocking that Fox News would want to tear down a weak argument from the Left Wing.

This was also a panel at the RNC. Seriously, is this all you have? This hardly reinforces your assertion that this story dominated 4-5 days of news coverage, or that it was handled in a distasteful way that made it seem that the media was shining an unfair spotlight on this story.

MThanded

For Obama, Race Remains Elephant in the Room

On a swing through Pennsylvania last month, John McCain visited a Manheim Central High School football practice — not to ingratiate himself with the players, who weren't even old enough to vote, but to identify himself with the gritty, down-home lunch bucket values of small-town football. "This is a blue-collar town," Manheim's coach said in his introduction of McCain. "We don't have a lot of flashy athletes. We don't come out with a lot of flash." But the coach explained that his team works hard, plays with discipline, and comes through in the end. "A lot like John McCain," he said.

If you're familiar with the code words of the sports world, you've probably already guessed that Manheim's players had something else in common with McCain: They were white. On the other hand, athletes who get described as "flashy" almost invariably have something in common with Barack Obama. I'm not saying the coach was trying to inject race into his discussion of flashiness. I'm saying that sometimes we talk about race even when we're not talking about race — in presidential politics as well as sports. Sports announcers have at least made an effort to shed their stereotypes; they occasionally describe black players as "scrappy" or "blue-collar," adjectives that used to be reserved for whites. But for political pundits, "working-class" or "blue-collar" or even "small-town" voters still means white; blacks have their own category.

The McCain camp, before its recent forays into the politics of umbrage and grievance, dismissed the ad furor as political correctness run amok. "Have a sense of humor," spokeswoman Nicole Wallace told me. For his part, Obama never accused McCain (or Biden, for that matter) of playing the race card; he wrote eloquently about race in his books, and he spoke eloquently about race during the Wright flap, but he's avoided the subject ever since the McCain campaign accused him of playing the race card, after he suggested that Republicans would try to remind voters that he doesn't look like the presidents on the currency. I've already reported Obama's negative response to a New Hampshire voter who asked him to launch another Clintonesque national conversation about race: "All that self-flagellation, it's not useful. African-Americans get all riled up, and whites get defensive." In a year where generic Democrats are trouncing generic Republicans, and polls suggest that the domestic and foreign policies he supports are much more popular than McCain's, it's certainly not useful to Obama.

So Obama is probably wise to ignore the liberals who keep begging him to drop his air of unflappability and start taking Republican scalps. White America already embraces black celebrities, even "flashy" ones. But it's never really warmed up to an angry one.
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1841109,00.html?cnn=yes

The Lamonster said:
um I think she just called Hillary Clinton a man...

Yea, I dunno wtf that was. It's as if McCain surrogates are being told "stick to the sexist talking point whenever there's an opening." Attacking a parody/satire show like SNL is a sign of desperation, as Hillary showed a few months ago.

Even while making fun of Hillary they deemed her experienced for the job; there they deem Palin un-experienced in the skit. The reporter should have asked if she felt SNL was being sexist to Hillary. I'm sure she'd say yes which would destroy this silly argument

AniHawk

PhoenixDark said:
It's as if McCain surrogates are being told "stick to the sexist talking point whenever there's an opening."

Well they brought back the "thanks but no thanks" part to Palin's speech, have had McCain himself say Obama called Palin a pig, and also have had McCain (and the rest of the campaign) say that Obama teaches comprehensive sex ed to kindergartners. They don't care about facts. They will repeat these lines until people accept them as pseudo-facts and they need to be called out as out of touch liars (which is happening).

thefro

WrikaWrek said:
Too true.

I just don't get what's the deal, i've been following this campaign, and watching MSNBC, CNN, reading articles on the net, and i've followed it since Obama vs Hillary.

Why is it not a shoe in? What, i don't understand, this Mccain dude is straight retard, and just because Palin is a women now people are all like "whoa", i mean what?

People know she isn't actually the one running for President right? Well whatever. 4 more years of stupidity i guess.

McCain is seen as a "moderate" Republican even if that hasn't been the reality for years. Lots of people are just now starting to pay attention and didn't even notice that McCain ran hard, hard to the right the last 8 years and now is starting to run to the left.

There's also 35-40% of the country who would vote for (insert any name here) if they were running on the Republican ballot.

AniHawk said:
Well they brought back the "thanks but no thanks" part to Palin's speech, have had McCain himself say Obama called Palin a pig, and also have had McCain (and the rest of the campaign) say that Obama teaches comprehensive sex ed to kindergartners. They don't care about facts. They will repeat these lines until people accept them as pseudo-facts and they need to be called out as out of touch liars (which is happening).

On the bridge, First Read mentioned that during her Alaska visit Palin didn't not mention the "thanks but no thanks" lie, but the next day in Nevada it was re-entered into her stump speech. Wow

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:
SUSA does Ohio and has McCain up by four, same as the other poll today.

One weird thing about the internals - in the regional breakdown, there was zero polling in the south east region of the state. I'm not familiar with that area - is that a low population region?

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=43154ee9-1bca-4042-84df-131e90cc13ad

Judging by the primaries, probably not a ton of people there.

EDIT: At least Obama's up by that much in VA suddenly. :p

Today's national poll totals:
Gallup: McCain+2
Rasmussen: McCain+2
Research 2000/DailyKos: Obama+3
DiageoHotline: Obama +1
Average: Tie.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/15/obama-lays-out-plans-to-w_n_126567.html

During a conference call with national female supporters on Monday, Barack Obama and his aides outlined a comprehensive strategy to target female supporters who could be on the fence between his and John McCain's candidacy.

The plan included intense focus on McCain's opposition to equal pay legislation, which aides to Obama believe resonates beyond female voters; sending out prominent female surrogates to serve as political "ambassadors"; limiting focus on Gov. Sarah Palin in favor of McCain himself; and breaking through the media's propensity to focus on conflicts and gaffes.

"We have got a lot of work to do and I can't do it without your help," Obama explained. "In recent weeks, we have seen Republicans up to their election year tricks. In his campaign ads, John McCain and Sarah Palin - I'm being generous here - distorted my record. They inflated their own. They ran an ad accusing me of promoting teaching sex to kindergartners when in fact the bill called for insuring that our children learn how to protect themselves from sexual abuse. That is one of the more egregious examples. And with all these antics I'm going to need all of you on the call to set the record straight."

"All of you, as prominent women that the American people listen to," the Democratic nominee continued, "are going to be some of our most important ambassadors in this process. To the extent we can get people to pay attention to choice involved on issues like health care, the Supreme Court, pay equity, I am absolutely confident we will win. But we are going to have to cut through a whole lot of noise and the media's propensity to cover scandal, gaffe, polls or attacks."

The National Women Leaders Conference Call came as part of a greater effort on behalf of the Obama campaign to solidify a portion of the electorate that, with McCain's choice of Palin as VP, seems more up for grabs than at any previous time in this election.

A Hill Democrat told the Huffington Post that Speaker Nancy Pelosi will spearhead a press conference with other female lawmakers this week focusing on equal pay legislation. In addition, the Obama campaign on Monday rolled out the endorsements of "hundreds of national women leaders in fields ranging from business to women's rights, from astronauts to athletes, from former governors to cabinet secretaries." The list includes Stacey Snider, Chairman of DreamWorks, Linda Chavez-Thompson, Executive Vice President Emerita, AFL-CIO, and Olympic gold-medalist Dominique Dawes.

Speaking on the phone with many of these individuals, Obama implored them to start reaching out on their own to help recruit female support. "Don't wait for our call," he said. "I need you to talk to your colleagues get on the radio, write op-eds in the newspapers, talk about what is really at stake in this election."

There were several issues on which the campaign suggested these pseudo-surrogates focus. Equal pay, opposition to choice, and the economy were some of them -- Sarah Palin was not.

"I know we are getting a little distracted by discussion about Sarah Palin, but I think it is important for all of us to focus on Sen. McCain," said Dana Singiser, a strategist for Obama. "Ultimately, of course, he will be president, he will be choosing Supreme Court justices, he will be steering the federal government, and we know a lot about him and where he stands on issues that are important to women. The contrast between John McCain's record and his positions and Sen. Obama's really could not be any more stark. I go back to equal pay because, given where we are with the economy, we are finding with the polling that pocket book issues really are what is top of mind for women voters. Whether we are talking about jobs or health care or gas prices, this is what women voters and really all voters are concerned about."

Banned
Kifimbo said:
First, is the dollar rising because oil prices are dropping or are the oil prices dropping because the dollar is rising ? I think it's the latter.

Second, I think it's temporary. I expect a sharp drop of the US dollar soon. I don't want to use the word collapse, but I wouldn't bet against it. Why ? Because huge liabilities are now transfered to the government because of all the bailouts. Now, how do you repay all that ? Either you tax people, borrow more money from China, or you create the money out of thin air with the Fed. The last scenario is the most likely, which means a huge expansion of the money supply and a huge devaluation of the dollar.
I would bet against. America could just urge more foreign firms to buy these corps. This doesn't necessarily mean a cash run.

Steve Youngblood said:
That was a typical panel addressing a story going on in the political world. Left wing talking point guy came on and argued a point that most are sensible enough to stay away from, and then Bill Kristol smacked him down. Shocking that Fox News would want to tear down a weak argument from the Left Wing.

This was also a panel at the RNC. Seriously, is this all you have? This hardly reinforces your assertion that this story dominated 4-5 days of news coverage, or that it was handled in a distasteful way that made it seem that the media was shining an unfair spotlight on this story.
It's kinda hard to find stories that didn't happen during one of the biggest political events of the year, and yes it's fox news. Fox news has a ton of independent viewers. it's one of the reasons why Fox became so successful these past few year, by attracting independent viewers

MIMIC

Banned
I love how MSNBC is going from "Historic Financial Crisis" to "lolz Tina Fey impersonates Palin"

Maybe they should just stick to the serious topics at the moment :lol

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Door2Dawn said:
If I see one more article about race in this country I'm going to kick someone in the face.
i agree. i don't know why they want to bog down our two white presidential candidates with talk on an irrelevant issue.

Jonm1010

Banned
MThanded said:
White Privilege, White Entitlement and the 2008 Election(Written by a white guy before you guys jump on me and say this is biased and racist)

Him Talking about White Privilege

As someone who lived in Chalmette for a large protion of his life, I think that video did more to hit the nail on the head than anything I have heard in terms of the racial divide between whites and blacks in the New Orleans area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom