• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
Cheebs said:
Keating 5 won't be useful. It is too complex of a issue, attacks need to be able to be spit out in a 15 second sound bite. Keating 5 fails that test.
I agreed with this until Lehman Bros. failed.

CharlieDigital said:
I agree with this. It won't work in an ad, but I could see him bring it up in a debate just to fluster McCain.

BO: Keating Five?
JM: I wasn't charged with anything.
BO: Why isn't it called the Keating Four?

Which basically puts McCain into a position where he has to make some shit up.

I'd pay to see McCain's reaction to that. :lol

methane47

btkadams said:
i hate how the american election is taking so long, its all anybody ever talks about. do you guys realize the canadian federal election has just been announced and election day is before the american election day? lol

Yeah but who cares about canadia

mrmyth

All the tinfoilers about Obama pressuring Clinton to drop out of the appearance - her staff was reportedly PISSED because the organizers of the event did not tell them that Pailin was invited. There is no way Hillary wants to be seen in public with Pailin. We'd end up with a real life version of the SNL skit.
Hillary inspired the hate in me during the primaries, but she is working her ass off under the radar for Obama. This is a MUTUAL decision, because she is not on the ticket. She does not want, and nor does Obama want her to be, a distraction. A Clinton/Pailin catfight means no more economy talk, and more 'house divided' crap from the MSM. Hillary needs Obama to win so as not to flush her career down the shitter.

Steve Youngblood said:
I don't know. I think it sends signals that he's got some problematic demographics. I hear that blue-collar white voters are still having trouble relating to him.

It raises the question: do we really know Barack Obama?

voters don't really know Barack Obama, but they do know that he's covered too much in the media and he's too popular.

*head explodes*

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Steve Youngblood said:
Holy crap! This fear inducing response provoked me to do some research. Did you guys know that his middle name is Hussein?! Furthermore, has anyone here realized that if you switch the letter 'b' with 's' in his last name, he has the same name as the villain responsible for the 9/11 attacks!?

I don't want that 'Hussein' thing.

btkadams said:
i hate how the american election is taking so long, its all anybody ever talks about. do you guys realize the canadian federal election has just been announced and election day is before the american election day? lol
I feel sorry for the Canadian press. They're missing out on easy page one headlines that write themselves for nearly a year by not having overly theatrical presidential campaigns that are dominated with nothing but pure spin. I can't imagine living in such a godless place.

Tamanon

Banned
mrmyth said:
All the tinfoilers about Obama pressuring Clinton to drop out of the appearance - her staff was reportedly PISSED because the organizers of the event did not tell them that Pailin was invited. There is no way Hillary wants to be seen in public with Pailin. We'd end up with a real life version of the SNL skit.
Hillary inspired the hate in me during the primaries, but she is working her ass off under the radar for Obama. This is a MUTUAL decision, because she is not on the ticket. She does not want, and nor does Obama want her to be, a distraction. A Clinton/Pailin catfight means no more economy talk, and more 'house divided' crap from the MSM. Hillary needs Obama to win so as not to flush her career down the shitter.

It's just McCain trying to stir trouble. I haven't seen anyone else making that argument that Hillary was pressured. Everyone expected it when you try and campaign at a non-campaign thing!

Hsieh

Evlar said:
It happened in 1989 and the populace at large has the attention span of a gnat.
Except there were several major bank failures just in this past week. The focus of the current election cycle revolves around how each candidate is going to deal with the bank failures and fix the economy. Since corporate corruption resulting in bank failures wiping out people's life savings is currently the hot topic in the news, this is suddenly relevant.

besada

Banned
Cheebs said:
Keating 5 won't be useful. It is too complex of a issue, attacks need to be able to be spit out in a 15 second sound bite. Keating 5 fails that test.

How hard is "McCain: fighting for deregulation since 1989"? Show headlines from the Savings and Loan collapse, along with pictures of McCain shaking hands with Keating, whose own Savings and Loan was a part of the collapse that cost taxpayers more than 120 billion dollars. Then run it forward and show list his economic advisors:

Merrill Lynch - Charlie Black, McCain Campaign Senior Adviser
Merrill Lynch - Judy Black, Women for McCain Steering Committee
Merrill Lynch - Daniel Crippen, Senior Policy Adviser
Merrill Lynch - James Hyland, Virginia Steering Committee
Merrill Lynch - Peter Madigan, fundraiser
Merrill Lynch - Steve Phillips, fundraiser
Lehman Brothers - Charlie Black, McCain Campaign Senior Adviser
Lehman Brothers - Vicki Hart, Women for McCain Steering Committee
Fannie Mae - Kirsten Chadwick, fundraiser, Women for McCain Steering Committee
Fannie Mae - Arthur Culvahouse, head of McCain V-P search
Fannie Mae - Alison H. McSlarrow, Women for McCain Steering Committee
Fannie Mae - Aquiles Suarez, Economic Adviser
Freddie Mac - Juleanna Glover Weiss, Women for McCain Steering Committee

While running a money clock in the corner counting up the various costs of this current debacle is going to cost.

Doesn't seem that difficult to tie McCain's past enthusiasm for deregulation with his current, even though he's seen the devastating results.

BenjaminBirdie said:

:lol

Worthy of direct image.
Obama-Deletes-Inbox_redo.jpg

Fatalah said:
Why does he have an e-mail from his Mom :(

I was wondering about that too. Bad taste much?

The DNC has been absolutely canvasing downtown Wash. DC the last couple of days. I guess they figured it's the best way to catch those suburban Maryland and Virginia voters. This is my 5th election cycle while living here in DC and I've never seen them have this kind of presence before. If they're putting in this kind of effort here it gives me a lot of hope about actual battle ground states.

Evlar

Banned
Hsieh said:
Except there were several major bank failures just in this past week. The focus of the current election cycle revolves around how each candidate is going to deal with the bank failures and fix the economy. Since corporate corruption resulting in bank failures wiping out people's life savings is currently the hot topic in the news, this is suddenly relevant.
Oh I agree it's relevant. I was just explaining why it's a "surprise"- most people don't remember that the "Reformer" McCain was involved in one of the biggest regulatory scandals in recent history.

GhaleonEB said:
The Jimmy Carter email has me crying here. :lol

Imagining Carter saying something like that with that southern twang will have that effect. And I'm pretty sure that they either didn't know or forgot that his mom passed away since her message is so benign. These are the authors of the "Holy Motherfucking Shit!!!" 9/11 issue after all.

I am in such a good mood. I can't even believe that Obama is ahead in most polls today...the election is over. The debates will only put him further ahead.

McCain really needed to ride out his bump into October.

Frank the Great said:
I am in such a good mood. I can't even believe that Obama is ahead in most polls today...the election is over. The debates will only put him further ahead.

McCain really needed to ride out his bump into October.

Well, until the Repubs somehow tie Obama to Josh Howard anyway... You know they're going to try.

Steve Youngblood said:
But why can't Obama seal the deal?
(Ignore this since this is just me ranting as I need to get this crap outta my system for the day.)

Why can't ignorant or apathetic Americans realize what's actually important and which is the better of the candidates? Not like politicians can do all the work themselves. There's the duty of the American citizen to wake the hell up and choose wisely before they reward the party and candidate that has done more to enable the economic disaster we have now and going forward. Let's not make the mistake of absolving citizens of their responsibility for their government's direction every election.

/obvious crap about democracy in a republic

Sorry, for the annoyed response...it's nothing personal and your question set me off. I've been talking with people who somehow believe the lies about the proposed tax plans between the two tickets. Yeah, no politician is going to be able to live up to everything they say (how can they when locked in a governmental system of compromise?), but there's a clear difference in direction between the two. One is the same as what we have now and one is not. I don't have a problem with people voting for McCain or the other guy or whatever, I just hate it when people do what they're doing based on clear bullshit and lies. The politicians and parties who don't live up to their end of the bargain can't be significantly controlled by the voter, but at least we can choose to make good votes in the hope that they do live up to the promises.

This Newsweek blog was a pretty compact listing of some of the scariest statistics facing us right now.

The question remains: Are the fundamentals sound? Was McCain right, or hopelessly rosy-eyed? It depends on which fundamentals you want to emphasize. There are times when all the fundamentals are unsound, as was the case in 1931. And there are times when all the fundamentals appear to be sound, as was the case in the mid- to late 1990s. The rest of the time, the fundamentals reside somewhere between the two poles (the left pole signifying we're totally screwed and the right pole signifying that happy days are here again). Today, we're closer to being totally screwed.

Consider this. The U.S. needs to create about 150,000 jobs per month just to keep pace with the growing population. When payroll jobs fall for eight straight months and the unemployment rate spikes, and when new weekly unemployment claims remain above 400,000, the economy may not be fundamentally sound.

When inflation in the past 12 months has run at 5.4 percent, well over the twice the level with which central bankers are comfortable, the economy may not be fundamentally sound.

When foreclosures are running at record rates and housing prices fall by nearly 16 percent year over year, the economy may not be fundamentally sound.

When the two largest financial institutions in the nation, which guarantee about half of the mortgages, fail and have to be taken over by the government, when the fourth-largest investment bank files for Chapter 11, and when the Federal Reserve effectively nationalizes a massive insurance firm that is a component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the economy may not be fundamentally sound.

In an economy where consumption constitutes 70 percent of activity, retail sales falling two months in a row may indicate that the economy may not be fundamentally sound.

When industrial production decreases, the economy may not be fundamentally sound.

When the nation's three major automakers, some of the largest remaining manufacturing entities, report sales declines of over 20 percent and beg the taxpayers for loans, the economy may not be fundamentally sound.

The litany of bad news has to be weighed against good news, of course.

When gross domestic product grows at a 3.3 percent annual rate despite weathering a series of shocks, the economy may be fundamentally sound.

When inflation shows signs of moderating and the prices of important commodities return to more reasonable levels, the economy may be fundamentally sound.

When exports rise 20 percent from year-ago levels, the economy may be fundamentally sound.

When $3.5 trillion is parked in money market mutual funds and corporations have vast piles of cash sitting on their balance sheets, it's an indication that money remains available for investment and consumption, and that the economy may be fundamentally sound.

On the whole, however, a reasonable observer would have to conclude that, on balance, the fundamentals of the U.S. economy are less than sound. And even John McCain has recognized his mistake. After a day of withering criticism, he abandoned his previous position. Now he's calling the situation "a total crisis."

MightyHedgehog said:
Lengthy post.
Maybe you have a point. Maybe.

However, could it also be that he just isn't doing enough to connect with the average Joe? Did you hear what he bowled? Why is he not giving speeches from pickup trucks? And furthermore, when he was shown drinking a beer at the bar, there was an expression on his face that just said to me "I'd rather be drinking an apple-tini."

I just get the feeling that he thinks he's better than me. What, is he saying that I'm not qualified to run the country?! Come on! Now that Palin is a folksy gal. Her husband is called the First Dude!

KTallguy

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
Maybe you have a point. Maybe.

However, could it also be that he just isn't doing enough to connect with the average Joe? Did you hear what he bowled? Why is he not giving speeches from pickup trucks? And furthermore, when he was shown drinking a beer at the bar, there was an expression on his face that just said to me "I'd rather be drinking an apple-tini."

I just get the feeling that he thinks he's better than me. What, is he saying that I'm not qualified to run the country?! Come on! Now that Palin is a folksy gal. Her husband is called the First Dude!

Joke post of course :lol

But I can see people really thinking this. Obama's well thought out planning and credentials are usurped by the expression on his face when he drinks a beer.

I suck at bowling, I don't give speeches on pickup trucks. Does that make me "un-american"?

KTallguy said:
Joke post of course :lol

But I can see people really thinking this. Obama's well thought out planning and credentials are usurped by the expression on his face when he drinks a beer.

I suck at bowling, I don't give speeches on pickup trucks. Does that make me "un-american"?
Yes. I bet you like lattes as well from one of those fancy coffee places that you drive to in your hybrid car.

saelz8

Get this, Lady Lynn Forester de Rothschild's reason for not supporting Obama.

"This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him," she said of Obama in an interview with CNN's Joe Johns. "I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him."

Source
2lldlbt.jpg

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC's Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

You have got to be kidding me! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom