• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

Stoney Mason said:
Tell your friend to go f himself.

He's not voting for the dude and is actively seeking out ways to do so. Today it will be this. Tomorrow it will be more communists donated to Obama to Mccain. Some people will always find a way to justify their preconceived inclinations.

I think you've been keeping up with my posts about my friend since last night! I went to bed angry last night, he really frustrated me.

johnsmith

remember me
Evlar said:
Take it from your resident liberal deep in red territory: The election is not over.

If you're in deep red territory, you're not important in this election.

Neither is anyone in deep blue territory.

GhaleonEB

Okay, this is the single best comment I've seen in a few days. A random comment on CNN.com, via Kos:

"Republicans lowered my taxes, and will keep them low. But the value of my home has dropped 20%, my health insurance costs have doubled, gas costs $4 a gallon, and my investments are in the tank. Please, tax me."

:lol

JCX

Brannon said:
Wait, how the HELL can Michigan be anywhere NEAR red at this point; that ludicrous!

Well this speech is to their base. The western part of the state ( Grand Rapids included) is red. Actually most of the state (area-wise) is read, but south east Michigan made it blue in the past two elections.

Republican talk radio talking point:

Clinton got rid of some regulations that had been placed on banks in the 30's. This is what paved the way for very high risk lending that put us where we are now. Basically it's Clinton's fault, not Bush's.

True or False?

tanod

when is my burrito
Rur0ni said:
Matthews calls Bush's absence on Wall Street issue a Katrina moment.

That's perfect.

Brannon said:
Wait, how the HELL can Michigan be anywhere NEAR red at this point; that ludicrous!

Kwame Kilpatrick, and Obama didn't get a chance to campaign there in the primaries.

Crisis

Banned
PrivateWHudson said:

Clinton got rid of some regulations that had been placed on banks in the 30's. This is what paved the way for very high risk lending that put us where we are now. Basically it's Clinton's fault, not Bush's.

True or False?
:lol :lol :lol

This ought to help.

PrivateWHudson said:

True or False?

True and False . . . but mainly false. Clinton did sign the bill. However, it was a Republican bill with Phil Gramm (McCain economic advisor) as one of the bill's authors. It had a veto-proof majority, so it was going to pass no matter what.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramm-Leach-Bliley_Act

The bills comprising the act were created in the Senate Banking Committee and shepparded through the legislative process by Phil Gramm, the Republican chairman of the committee. [1] The bills were introduced in the Senate by Phil Gramm (R-TX) and in the House of Representatives by James Leach (R-IA). The bills were passed by a 54-44 vote along party lines with Republican support in the Senate[2] and by a 343-86 vote in the House of Representatives[3]. Nov 4, 1999: After passing both the Senate and House the bill was moved to a conference committee to work out the differences between the Senate and House versions. The final bill resolving the differences was passed in the Senate 90-8-1 and in the House: 362-57-15. This veto proof legislation was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 12, 1999. [4]

Clinton certainly did not get everything right. He also allowed the FCC to allow too much consolidation.

ronito

PrivateWHudson said:

True or False?
Clinton isn't blameless no. But to say it's not the republican's fault is silly. The deregulation began under the King of deregulation Reagan, you wont hear republicans calling him that now will you, though they held it up as a matter of pride just last week. Bush sr. continued it, Clinton added, Bush jr pushed even further.

Rur0ni said:
Matthews calls Bush's absence on Wall Street issue a Katrina moment.

I think his entire presidency has been one long uninterrupted Katrina moment.

Remember when presidents use to address the nation in Prime Time...

saelz8

Supreme Court’s Global Influence Is Waning
Judges around the world have long looked to the decisions of the United States Supreme Court for guidance, citing and often following them in hundreds of their own rulings since the Second World War.

But now American legal influence is waning. Even as a debate continues in the court over whether its decisions should ever cite foreign law, a diminishing number of foreign courts seem to pay attention to the writings of American justices.

“One of our great exports used to be constitutional law,” said Anne-Marie Slaughter, the dean of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton. “We are losing one of the greatest bully pulpits we have ever had.”

These days, foreign courts in developed democracies often cite the rulings of the European Court of Human Rights in cases concerning equality, liberty and prohibitions against cruel treatment, said Harold Hongju Koh, the dean of the Yale Law School.
Source

Looks like some of our decisions are sacrificing credibility. (Big Surprise)

GhaleonEB

PrivateWHudson said:

True or False?
Partly true.

The bills comprising the act were created in the Senate Banking Committee and shepparded through the legislative process by Phil Gramm, the Republican chairman of the committee. [1] The bills were introduced in the Senate by Phil Gramm (R-TX) and in the House of Representatives by James Leach (R-IA). The bills were passed by a 54-44 vote along party lines with Republican support in the Senate[2] and by a 343-86 vote in the House of Representatives[3]. Nov 4, 1999: After passing both the Senate and House the bill was moved to a conference committee to work out the differences between the Senate and House versions. The final bill resolving the differences was passed in the Senate 90-8-1 and in the House: 362-57-15. This veto proof legislation was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 12, 1999. [4]
Pushed through by GOP, passed in Senate on initial party-line vote. McCain voted for it, Biden against. The guy who helped write McCain's economic plan was one of the architects. So the guy who designed the deregulation is now the main adviser for McCain on the topic, and from McCain's own votes he agrees with him.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AndyIsTheMoney said:
we are talking about President vs Vice President here...you know that is quite a difference. And spare me the hypothetical scenarios

Andy, serious question: Aren't you tired of getting absolutely fucking owned every time you open your mouth or post a link?

Brannon

Saint Gregory said:
Wow, now Washington Mutual has put themselves up for sale. Shit, I've got to call my dad.

SHIT and if they don't get bought they go bankrupt?

My sister is getting called NOW.

<---STILL loving my credit union.

EDIT: done and done.

speculawyer said:
True and False. Clinton did sign the bill. However, it was a bi-partisan movement with Phil Gramm (McCain economic advisor) as one of the bill's authors.

Clinton certainly did not get everything right. He also allowed the FCC to allow too much consolidation.

And McCain himself voted for the bill.

And Biden voted against it.

Cloudy

Banned
scorcho said:
considering how weak Wachovia is, how is this a good deal?

Cloudy - 120 day graph

graph120.png

http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/EUR/graph120.html

Yikes...thanks..

Tamanon

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
I think his entire presidency has been one long uninterrupted Katrina moment.

Remember when presidents use to address the nation in Prime Time...

Wait....Bush is still President? I don't remember anyone talking about him the past few months. Thought we just had a press secretary.

PrivateWHudson said:

True or False?

Clinton signed the bills at the behest of his advisors, but he didn't propose or write the bill that has now un-done Wall Street. That was proposed by Senate Republicans at the time, notably former McCain economic guru, the former Texas Senator Phil Gramm.

Note that these bills included the Commodity Futures Modernization Act, which basically legalized the energy market manipulation that Enron did until it collapsed, and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act which caused the huge investment banking/lending institution/insurance company shitpile that we see today.

Let me repeat that-Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.

Maybe Clinton shouldn't have signed them, but one of the keys to proper regulation is that it is a living, constantly evolving thing. Had we had decent, updated regulation in reaction to the new crazy-ass investment vehicles and awful mortgage products that were being rolled out, this crisis might have been prevented or at least mitigated.

speculawyer said:
True and False . . . but mainly false. Clinton did sign the bill. However, it was a Republican bill with Phil Gramm (McCain economic advisor) as one of the bill's authors. It had a veto-proof majority, so it was going to pass no matter what.

Gramm-Leach-Bliley Financial Services Modernization Act was a Republican deal, but voted in by both parties, yes. I thought that the bill was also veto-proof...as in, Clinton could not have vetoed the bill successfully because he would automatically be overridden by the 2/3 majority of Congress. I don't remember if he wanted to, though.

AniHawk

So.

Merril Lynch: Bought/merge deal with BoA
Lehman: Bankrupt
AIG: Bailed out
WaMu: Up for sale or will be bankrupt
IndyMac: Bankrupt
Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae: Bailed out
Bearsterns: Something something not so sure.
Morgan Stanley: Bought by Wachovia

About right?

In less than five months.

Tamanon

Banned
AniHawk said:
So.

About right?

Actually I think Morgan Stanley is buying Wachovia. Not the other way around. If Morgan Stanley was the one in trouble, it'd be even worse!

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Is there some sort of feature article that can help connect the dots between the housing crisis, deregulation and all these investment banks closing down in a simple way? I'm having trouble explaining this to people.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
Given the specificity of my prediction, yes, I believe so.

*bows*

I never should have doubted you.

On that note - the NYT epitomizes the media's interest in making something appear close when they have a data point that indicates otherwise in the CBS/NYT poll that was just released showing Obama up five points.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/18/us/politics/18poll.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

The contest appears to be roughly where it was before the two conventions and before the vice presidential selections: Mr. Obama has the support of 48 percent of registered voters, compared with 43 percent for Mr. McCain, a difference within the poll’s margin of sampling error, and statistically unchanged from the tally in the last New York Times/CBS News Poll in mid-August.
Reading that, one would assume the poll has a margin of error of five points or greater. That would be an incorrect assumption.

Later in the article:

The latest Times/CBS nationwide telephone poll was taken Friday through Tuesday with 1,133 adults, including 1,004 registered voters. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points for all respondents and for registered voters.
Obama's lead is outside the margin of error, but they explicitly state otherwise early in the story.

Hootie

Whoa, according to Pollster, West Virginia is now a toss-up? That'd be amazing if 'bamaton could pull that state out of nowhere :lol

Crisis

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Is there some sort of feature article that can help connect the dots between the housing crisis, deregulation and all these investment banks closing down in a simple way? I'm having trouble explaining this to people.

I don't have an answer to your question but I decided to quote you to raise the urgency of your request because I'm doing my best to explain this to older family members and they're just not understanding me.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Everyone,

Obama has great momentum right now. If you are serious about him winning donate 25 bucks today to the campaign. The more money he has, the better he can do. If you cant afford 25, give 10 or 5, ANYTHING helps Obamarama.

Crisis

Banned
Hootie said:
Whoa, according to Pollster, West Virginia is now a toss-up? That'd be amazing if 'bamaton could pull that state out of nowhere :lol

I am near-certain that state is not a toss-up. Don't get your hopes up for that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
PrivateWHudson said:

True or False?

I believe they're talking about the Glass-Steagall Act. That was the piece of regulation that was established during the depression. The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which Clinton did sign into law in 1999, did indeed remove some of its restrictions.

However, does the name "The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act" ring any bells for you? At all?

The "Gramm" was Phil Gramm. Yes. That Gramm. Mr. Nation-of-Whiners, who used to be John McCain's chief economic advisor.

Now, take a look at this Daily Kos story

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9/16/203823/008/1013/601053

The initiative was spearheaded and essentially voted on by Republicans (including McCain), while Democrats rejected it. Clinton was an exception.

So yes, Bush isn't to blame for the GLB Act. But conservative talk radio shouldn't be placing the blame for it on Clinton, because the blood is on their hands.

Hootie

Crisis said:
I am near-certain that state is not a toss-up. Don't get your hopes up for that.

Obviously McCain will win it barring any total meltdown, but it's yellow on pollster.com's electoral map.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why would anyone buy Wachovia? It doesn't look like it's in the best of health. Who in the world is gonna buy Wamu?

I know you're not supposed to but I'd get my money the fuck out of Wamu.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Andy, serious question: Aren't you tired of getting absolutely fucking owned every time you open your mouth or post a link?

I wonder this, too :lol

What keeps people like this coming back into the thread?

SpeedingUptoStop said:

The only document you need:

http://docs.google.com/TeamPresent?docid=ddp4zq7n_0cdjsr4fn&skipauth=true&pli=2

Evlar

Banned
Because of the relaxation on the restrictions preventing transfer of funds from deposit banks to investment banking divisions the Wachovia-Morgan Stanley deal is a problem. A big, big problem.

Wachovia is already unsteady. Morgan Stanley is risky. If Wachovia transfers deposits to Morgan Stanley and then collapses the FDIC will be on the hook for any funds that vanished through bad lending in Morgan Stanley... which could drain the FDIC of resources.

Lady Lynn Forester de Rothschild is about to be interviewed on CNN. I fully expect at some point during the interview that she'll toss a flute of Cristal into a marble fireplace...

GhaleonEB

Y2Kev said:
Why would anyone buy Wachovia? It doesn't look like it's in the best of health.
Look at it this way. If someone buys them, the government will come in to bail out should they fail. So why not buy?

Schlep

AniHawk said:
So.

About right?

Dude, chill. The fundamentals of our economy are strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom