• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

gluv65 said:
So the McCain campaign is going to protect Ms. Palin in the debate

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/us/politics/21debate.html?hp

At the insistence of the McCain campaign, the Oct. 2 debate between Gov. Sarah Palin and her Democratic rival, Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., will have shorter question-and-answer segments than those for the presidential nominees, the advisers said. There will also be much less opportunity for free-wheeling, direct exchanges between the running mates.

McCain advisers said they had been concerned that a loose format could leave Ms. Palin, a relatively inexperienced debater, at a disadvantage and largely on the defensive.

The wrangling was chiefly between the McCain-Palin camp and the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates, which is sponsoring the forums.
And also, Biden has a tendency to be verbose. So now they can pack her with sound bites and quips, while Biden will have to work to compress his substance into bite-sized pieces.

I can't believe they let that go through. It's a real disservice to the entire elections process.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
gluv65 said:

At the insistence of the McCain campaign, the Oct. 2 debate between Gov. Sarah Palin and her Democratic rival, Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., will have shorter question-and-answer segments than those for the presidential nominees, the advisers said. There will also be much less opportunity for free-wheeling, direct exchanges between the running mates.

McCain advisers said they had been concerned that a loose format could leave Ms. Palin, a relatively inexperienced debater, at a disadvantage and largely on the defensive.

The wrangling was chiefly between the McCain-Palin camp and the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates, which is sponsoring the forums.
Ugh... there was no reason to change the debate format that has existed for many elections. I don't get why there isn't some sort of national presentation by the two candidates that will breakdown their policies by using Power Point presentations or something. Having graphs and charts will most certainly help more people to understand, say, their tax policies, spending positions, revenue streams... etc. You present a business case with PP usually, why not for presidential elections ?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
GhaleonEB said:
And also, Biden has a tendency to be verbose. So now they can pack her with sound bites and quips, while Biden will have to work to compress his substance into bite-sized pieces.

I can't believe they let that go through. It's a real disservice to the entire elections process.

The moderator is from News Hour, I have no doubt she will allow interaction and complete answers at the expense of format.

lopaz

Banned
What the fucking fuck? Who is running the debate and why do they capitulate just cause the Republicans are worried their shitty candidate is too shitty to have a debate?

Arde5643

StoOgE said:
The moderator is from News Hour, I have no doubt she will allow interaction and complete answers at the expense of format.
I'm just hoping the media keeps their balls in place - it's been a while since I see the MSM actually saying the facts instead of repeating PR lines from campaigns.

Tamanon said:
Basically not as many people will ADMIT to being a Republican, but when it comes to the ballot box, they'll still vote that way.
Sadly, I really think so. I'm just hoping Democratic gains are enough to offset any Republicans "coming home".

gcubed

StoOgE said:

yes, one advantage is that the woman running the VP debates is from PBS, so I am sure she will allow what needs to be allowed

Stoney Mason said:
When the brand is sullied it's time to move onto a new brand even though amazingly the talking points and rhetoric remain the same for a large number of these people.

The Republicans don't really have a clear idea where to take their message post bush. They will always pay lip service to libertarianism but that's purely an intellectual talking point position for them rather than an actual position. The Limbaugh's and the Evangelicals are the dog that wags the tail in that party.
I still doubt that's going to stop a large chunk of them from voting for McCain.
Shins said:
crazy_kermit.gif
:lol

StoOgE

Arde5643 said:
I'm just hoping the media keeps their balls in place - it's been a while since I see the MSM actually saying the facts instead of repeating PR lines from campaigns.

News hour with Jim Leher /= cable news. They are legit news, watch it sometime, it is a wonderful program.

Expect her to call out unsubstantive answers as just that.

Schlep

gluv65 said:

piccard.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the VP debate. Sarah Palin is already viewed negatively by the American public so the less chances she has to sway opinion the better. That's not to suggest that I think she would succeed against Biden, though.

StoOgE

Incognito said:
I wouldn't worry about the VP debate. Sarah Palin is already viewed negatively by the American public so the less chances she has to sway opinion the better. That's not to suggest that I think she would succeed against Biden, though.

yes, but the more she talks about molecules and US Americans and such as on national TV the better.

Tamanon

Banned
syllogism said:
I wonder if Palin wrote this introduction by herself because wow

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/20/165637/642/201/604924

Times are tough right now across our country. And Americans are facing kind of a elements of a perfect storm that we've got to make sure don't all come together at this time. High taxes - that's one of the elements that can result in a perfect storm that will not be good for the future of America. High gas prices. Dependence on energy sources from foreign sources. Foreign sources that don't necessarily like America - they certainly don't have our best interests at heart.

Yes, Americans are facing kind of a elements of a perfect storm.

Am I the only person who has trouble going through an entire speech from McCain or Palin when they're on TV? They really do make my head hurt and I have to quickly change the channel.

StoOgE

gcubed said:
its nice that really the one debate with an iffy moderator is the town hall debate, and he has nothing to do

yupp, I think NPR, PRI and PBS should be in charge of running the debates.

jiggle

They can't exactly use the inexperience debater excuse afterward either, if she does badly. I foresees tears and sexisms accusation.

Schlep

I think the republicans cried sexist a bit too much, and no one's even gonna care now short of him making thrusting motions in her direction after a verbal beatdown. (Which I could totally see Biden doing)

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Am I the only person who has trouble going through an entire speech from McCain or Palin when they're on TV? They really do make my head hurt and I have to quickly change the channel.
ZOMG COGNITIVE DISSONANCE!!!!

;) No, in general I get embarrassed watching someone on tv who should be embarrassed or makes a fool out of him/herself.

The youtube vids of Palin and Obama where they completely lose their thoughts and just ramble incoherent stuff, is hard to watch for me.

Now, I have a harder time watching Palin than any of the other crucial figures in this campaign, because she basically always says something that makes me cringe. I like Biden the best, when it comes to this. I haven't seen him brain fart yet.

gcubed

Schlep said:
I think the republicans cried sexist a bit too much, and no one's even gonna care now short of him making thrusting motions in her direction after a verbal beatdown.

this... they got a little bit of the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome going. Short of him saying "the only reason why she got picked was because she has nicer tits then McCains wife" i see most sexist talk post debate being laughed at

Schlep said:
I think the republicans cried sexist a bit too much, and no one's even gonna care now short of him making thrusting motions in her direction after a verbal beatdown. (Which I could totally see Biden doing)
:lol

Cheebs

gcubed said:
its nice that really the one debate with an iffy moderator is the town hall debate, and he has nothing to do
Uh... Tom Brokaw is solid, he isn't a gotcha kind of guy. I would be far more worried about the CBS guy doing the economic debate.

Tamanon

Banned
Schlep said:

2rqzk07.jpg

And I bet Scheiffer's going to have Charlie Gibson feeding him capital gains questions during the debate!

Souldriver said:
Now, I have a harder time watching Palin than any of the other crucial figures in this campaign, because she basically always says something that makes me cringe. I like Biden the best, when it comes to this. I haven't seen him brain fart yet.
Same for me. At least when Biden says things he shouldn't he says it with such authority and force that he gets away with it. Obama rambling is painful, because I always want him to do well. Palin's incoherent ramblings are painful, because they remind me that this woman might possibly be president.

Souldriver said:
ZOMG COGNITIVE DISSONANCE!!!!

;) No, in general I get embarrassed watching someone on tv who should be embarrassed or makes a fool out of him/herself.

The youtube vids of Palin and Obama where they completely lose their thoughts and just ramble incoherent stuff, is hard to watch for me.

Try watching Admiral Stockdale in the '92 VP debate.

Haunted

gluv65 said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/us...debate.html?hp

So this election has truly become a test of intelligence for the American people.

smoke and mirrors vs substance

ignorance vs information

stupidity vs intelligence

Shit's epic.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Souldriver said:
Yep, that was hard for me to watch.

(But also kinda funny, when he takes his glasses :))

(Is there a word in English for being embarrassed in somebody's place? Because that's the word I'm looking for)
Shawn Elliot used the term "wahjah" for what you mean :lol

Schlep said:
2rqzk073.jpg

Gantz

Banned
Originally Posted by gluv65:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/us...debate.html?hp

lol looks like the republicans have gotten that article taken down :lol

Souldriver said:
Yep, that was hard for me to watch.

(But also kinda funny, when he takes his glasses :))

(Is there a word in English for being embarrassed in somebody's place? Because that's the word I'm looking for)

Just to give some background Stockdale was a POW like Mccain who was treated pretty brutally during the war. It was sort of sad that Perot even picked him and put him in that spot. He was a war hero who obviously wasn't prepared for that sort of bright light and critical examination. He was kind of a national political punchline for a year or so after that before he receded back out of public view.

Y2Kev said:
Shawn Elliot used the term "wahjah" for what you mean :lol
In dutch there's a word that basically means "substitute embarrasment". I suffer a lot from it. Palin is like the first auditions in American Idol.

Stoney Mason said:
Just to give some background Stockdale was a POW like Mccain who was treated pretty brutally during the war. It was sort of sad that Perot even picked him and put him in that spot. He was a war hero who obviously wasn't prepared for that sort of bright light and critical examination. He was kind of a national political punchline for a year or so after that before he receded back out of public view.

Yea, it's sad what one reaalllllllyyyyy bad tv appearance could do to a person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom