• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
syllogism said:
It has Obama getting 98% of AA vote, which is pretty funny if plausible
Seeing that previous democratic candidates received roughly 90% of the AA vote, I don't find it too surprising that an AA candidate is able to increase those numbers.

He'll get about 90% of it for sure-but not 98%.

Wish I knew the sample size/male v. female/party ID/age/race breakdowns. This is one of those states where Obama is pushing hard with a three pillared approach of large amounts of new voters, high AA turnout, and the youth/young suburban professional vote to try to pull off an upset.

LBJ got 94% in the wake of the Civil Rights movement.

If he can match that I will be surprised.

Maybe I am overestimating the # of AA GOPers based on their inflated numbers on cable news. I guess they like affirmative action after all.

APF

BREAKING: APF investigation uncovers, John McCain has seven maids-a-milking. Obama, one maid, does not milk. Unknown if Obama maid will go to store when asked politely. Developing...

Barrett2

ryutaro's mama said:
2rqzk07.jpg

This picture is so awesome. :lol

quadriplegicjon said:
five just between your parents? the 13 are only between john and cindy. the whole thing is a little childish though.
What do you mean 5 just between his parents? That's still plenty. My parents only had one car and my mother couldn't drive.

I just saw that Obama - Mae/Mac ad. On television. I can't believe they are still running with it.

methane47 said:
LOL OH GAWD he owns a Honda!! Non american car... Dont vote for that guy.. :lol
The point is he lied about that retarded thing you are laughing at.

Barrett2

ViperVisor said:
(Cindy McCain also drives a Lexus and daughter Meghan owns a Toyota Prius, but neither are registered to the McCains.)

So it is really 15?

Whatever the number, it is obscene. My parents have a high income, and even they only own 3 cars, one of which is driven by one of my siblings. In light of the economic situation, this kind of attack will probably resonate with the typical American.

IMO, the typical uninformed lower-middle class voter really has no idea just how 'rich' the upper class of America really is. Whatever Obama can do to communicate McCain's massive wealth to swing voters is a net plus.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Here in NC, some McCain supporters have close to 7 cars or more. Granted, none of them run and they are scattered all over the lawn in front of their trailer but the car ownership thing is a non-issue to many in this state.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Napoleonthechimp said:
What do you mean 5 just between his parents? That's still plenty. My parents only had one car and my mother couldn't drive.

well.. depends how old his brothers and sisters are (if he has brothers and sisters).. my family has 4 cars.. but we have all bought those cars ourselves... and we dont all live together.

Front page on the NY TIMES

Loan Titans Paid McCain Campaign Manager Nearly $2 Million to defend Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from Regulators

Senator John McCain’s campaign manager was paid more than $30,000 a month for five years as president of an advocacy group set up by the mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to defend them against stricter regulations, current and former officials say.

Mr. McCain, the Republican candidate for president, has recently begun campaigning as a critic of the two companies and the lobbying army that helped them evade greater regulation as they began buying riskier mortgages with implicit federal backing. He and his Democratic rival, Senator Barack Obama, have donors and advisers who are tied to the companies.

But last week the McCain campaign stepped up a running battle of guilt by association when it began broadcasting commercials trying to link Mr. Obama directly to the government bailout of the mortgage giants this month by charging that he takes advice from Fannie Mae’s former chief executive, Franklin Raines, an assertion both Mr. Raines and the Obama campaign dispute.

Incensed by the advertisements, several current and former executives of the companies came forward to discuss the role that Rick Davis, Mr. McCain’s campaign manager and longtime adviser, played in helping Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac beat back regulatory challenges when he served as president of their advocacy group, the Homeownership Alliance, formed in the summer of 2000. Some who came forward were Democrats, but Republicans, speaking on the condition of anonymity, confirmed their descriptions.

“The value that he brought to the relationship was the closeness to Senator McCain and the possibility that Senator McCain was going to run for president again,” said Robert McCarson, a former spokesman for Fannie Mae, who said that while he worked there from 2000 to 2002, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac together paid Mr. Davis’s firm $35,000 a month. Mr. Davis “didn’t really do anything,” Mr. McCarson, a Democrat, said.

Mr. Davis’s role with the group has bubbled up as an issue in the campaign, but the extent of his compensation and the details of his role have not been reported previously.

Mr. McCain was never a leading critic or defender of the mortgage giants, although several former executives of the companies said Mr. Davis did draw Mr. McCain to a 2004 awards banquet that the companies’ Homeownership Alliance held in a Senate office building. The organization printed a photograph of Mr. McCain at the event in its 2004 annual report, bolstering its clout and credibility. The event honored several other elected officials, including at least two Democrats, Gov. Edward G. Rendell of Pennsylvania and Representative Artur Davis of Alabama.

In an interview Sunday night with CNBC and The New York Times, Mr. McCain noted that Mr. Davis was no longer working on behalf of the mortgage giants. He said Mr. Davis “has had nothing to do with it since, and I’ll be glad to have his record examined by anybody who wants to look at it.”

Asked about the reports of Mr. Davis’s role, a spokesman for Mr. McCain said that during the time when Mr. Davis ran the Homeownership Alliance, the senator had backed legislation to increase oversight of the mortgage companies’ accounting and executive compensation. The legislation, however, did not seek to change their anomalous structure as private companies with federal support.

The spokesman, Tucker Bounds, also noted that the Homeownership Alliance included nonprofit organizations like Habitat for Humanity and the Urban League. “It’s not controversial to promote homeownership and minority homeownership,” Mr. Bounds said. More than a half-dozen current and former executives, however, said the Homeownership Alliance was set up mainly to defend Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac by promoting their role in the housing market, and the two companies paid almost the entire cost of the group’s operations.

“They were financed largely, possibly exclusively, by Fannie and Freddie,” said William R. Maloni, a Democrat who is a former head of industry relations for Fannie Mae. “We thought it would be helpful to have someone who was a broadly recognized Republican to be the face of the organization, and that person became Rick Davis.” Mr. Maloni added, “Rick, for that purpose, turned out to be quite good.” (Several executives said Mr. Davis’s compensation was not unusual for the companies’ well-connected consultants.)

The federal bailout of the two mortgage giants has become an emblem of what critics say is the outdated or inadequate regulatory system that allowed the financial system to slide into crisis this summer.

At the time that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac recruited Mr. Davis to run the Homeownership Alliance in 2000, they were under new pressure from private industry rivals and deregulation-minded Republicans who argued that the two companies’ federal sponsorship gave them an unfair advantage and put taxpayers at risk. Critics of the companies had formed their own Washington-based advocacy group, FM Watch. They were pushing for regulations that would deter the companies from expanding into new areas, including riskier and more profitable mortgages.

Mr. Davis had recently returned to his lobbying firm from running Mr. McCain’s unexpectedly strong 2000 Republican primary campaign, which elevated Mr. McCain’s profile as a legislator and Mr. Davis’s as a lobbyist.

“You can say what you want about free-market distortions, but people like the system because it gets them into houses cheap,” Mr. Davis said to Institutional Investor magazine in 2000, adding that he would run the advocacy group out of his Alexandria, Va., lobbying firm.

The organization also hired Public Strategies, a communications firm that included former Bush adviser Mark McKinnon. Mr. Davis wrote letters and gave speeches for the group. In April 2001, he sent out a press release headlined, “It’s Tax Day — Do You Know Where Your Deductions Are? For Most Americans, They’re in Your Home.”

But by the end of 2005, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were recovering from accounting problems and re-examining costs, former executives said. The companies decided the Homeownership Alliance had outlived its usefulness, and it disappeared.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/22/u...r=1&oref=slogin&ref=politics&pagewanted=print

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
ViperVisor said:
LBJ got 94% in the wake of the Civil Rights movement.

If he can match that I will be surprised.

Maybe I am overestimating the # of AA GOPers based on their inflated numbers on cable news. I guess they like affirmative action after all.

I'm quite confident Obama can hit 95%. The AA population is excited beyond belief, and understandably so.

VanMardigan said:
I'm quite confident Obama can hit 95%. The AA population is excited beyond belief, and understandably so.
But why did that poll have him at 98% and why would he still be down 3 if that was the case??

VanMardigan said:

He won't hit 95%. He'll get 92% at tops.

The key really isn't the split, it's how much of the electorate is African American. A 22% share makes things close but we'll need to pull in a few more points in the white vote here, a 23% share makes nabbing NC from the Republicans MUCH easier and a large share of the huge voter registration surge here has been to push the potential AA turnout to those numbers.

ChoklitReign said:
Obama has a campaign jet, too.

I doubt he owns it.

A 727, even used, would cost tens of millions of precious dollars that could be used in the campaign. Most likely, it's on a lease, with permission to repaint it. The junior senator was never that rich anyway.

I'm not sure about McCain, but if he had used his own personal jet for years before this campaign, it is his. Or rather hers. :D

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
mAcOdIn said:
You place safety and prosperity over integrity and loyalty, I just believe the opposite. That's also why you guys would be more in tune with a financial bail out while I'm more apt to say fuck them and watch the whole system collapse smiling while whatever shitstorm that brings comes my way.

I'd rather do what I think is right and laugh all the way to hell or where ever then live a long life with walks on the beach and a boatload of cash. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Edit: Oh and thanks for not reading my third option about just doing business as usual. If you want to feel all good about yourself and call lip service and diplomatic BS aid or support then I guess sure you're right, if you want to be honest with yourself however feel free to come over to my side. I don't think Georgians if occupied by Russia would consider our pleading and money "support," but I digress.

No I'm not liking this bail out thing either. It went from doing the right thing, to doing whatever the fuck Paulson wants to do. A $700 Billion open credit line from us tax payers is crazy.

Again just because you back a country doesn't mean you have to do it regardless of how stupid they act. There are things such as grey areas that exist.

syllogism

David Brooks, a liberal's favorite conservative, talks to the Washington Post today about how he can't make anyone happy -- that includes anti-war critics (who aren't fans of his neocon views), conservative talk-radio hosts (who think he's a tweedy elitist), and even his Obama-loving family (who just think he's wrong).

After Brooks gave a lukewarm review of Obama's convention speech on PBS, his wife, Sarah, texted him from their Bethesda home: "You are crazy. That was great." What was worse, she reported that their 9-year-old son, Aaron, had said: "For the first time, I really disagree with Daddy."

That, Brooks said, "was like a knife stuck in my heart."
http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelcalderone/0908/Brooks_and_his_many_critics.html?showall

As someone who reads almost his every column, I found this funny

Fatalah

What was worse, she reported that their 9-year-old son, Aaron, had said: "For the first time, I really disagree with Daddy."

That's just beautiful. We have a big week ahead of us, I can't wait to see how each day pans out leading to the convention debate. Last week was just a barn burner, as Jim Ross would call it.

But I have a feeling both sides may run a quiet campaign leading into the debates.

What's this I'm reading about Obama wanting to downplay the importance of this first debate? Bah, humbug, Barack! We've been waiting for this day for months!

Barrett2

Fatalah said:
That's just beautiful. We have a big week ahead of us, I can't wait to see how each day pans out leading to the convention. Last week was just a barn burner, as Jim Ross would call it.

But I have a feeling both sides may run a quiet campaign leading into the debates.

Although, what's this I'm reading about Obama wanting to downplay the importance of this first debate? Bah, humbug, Barack! We've been waiting for this day for months!

Obama needs to be aggressive in the first debate. I guarantee McCain will come out swinging like a cornered animal, I would too if I were down in the polls. Obama needs to be fiery and intense or he runs the risk of looking soft.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
artredis1980 said:
Front page on the NY TIMES

Loan Titans Paid McCain Campaign Manager Nearly $2 Million to defend Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from Regulators

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/22/u...r=1&oref=slogin&ref=politics&pagewanted=print
It makes good theater, but Fannie and Freddie's collapse are far removed from the origins of the crisis. It's good to watch McCain's false populism fall flat on his face though.

Removed as I am from the vapid political coverage of CNN and MSNBC (I'm in Peru for a few more days and all they have is CNN International here), I'm still trying to wrap my hands around Paulson's rescue package. I've read enough skepticism from economists I respect to be skeptical of the benefits, and it looks as if there's a lobbying effort going on to make sure that Congress does not tie in any additional regulatory/oversight stipulations into the measure. How is this being reported in the States?

Fatalah said:
That's just beautiful. We have a big week ahead of us, I can't wait to see how each day pans out leading to the convention. Last week was just a barn burner, as Jim Ross would call it.

What's this I'm reading about Obama wanting to downplay the importance of this first debate? Bah, humbug, Barack! We've been waiting for this day for months!
u mean debate?

I have been volunteering for the campaign and I have been playing up the first debate, especially to undecided voters. Obama better knock this one out of the park.

Fatalah

lawblob said:
Obama needs to be aggressive in the first debate. I guarantee McCain will come out swinging like a cornered animal, I would too if I were down in the polls. Obama needs to be fiery and intense or he runs the risk of looking soft.

I love this report given from our very own PoliGaffer a few pages back:

One Obama campaign organizer talks about strategy:
Essentially, it's all about power. He (quite controversially) described Barack Obama as a power-hungry, ruthless person. Going into detail about how he got his seat on the Illinois senate by getting all other candidates disqualified.

Fatalah said:

Because it's foreign policy.

GhaleonEB

Nice Obama ad. The "risk we can't afford to take" is a new line. Seems to be pushback on McCain trying to paint Obama as "risky". I'm actually pleased that McCain is reduced to playing the Rezko card this early. It shows how desperate he's getting.

Good results in the NC and MI Rasmussen polls.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm actually pleased that McCain is reduced to playing the Rezko card this early. It shows how desperate he's getting.

Good results in the NC and MI Rasmussen polls.
lol he's playing the Rezko card? That's the mini-boss before the Wright card! :lol

btw Ghal u have a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom