• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

In Alaskan democracy the train wears lipstick. Also it goes to nowhere.

In Russian Democracy you are free to ride the train whenever you want to wherever you want. Assuming you only do so when Putin tells you to.

Attention Ohio people: An early voting rock and roll party with the best band in the world, The Breeders:

poster.gif

OCTOBER 16th 5-9pm
A VOTE OBAMA RALLY AT FOUNTAIN SQUARE in Cincinnati
Featuring free concert performances by
THE NATIONAL & THE BREEDERS
and Special Guest Speakers

Avoid the lines on Election Day. Charter buses will be shuttling ID-carrying, registered voters to Hamilton County Election Headquarters from the Square and back during the rally so participants can cast their ballot. VOTE EARLY extends beyond the rally. Early voting begins September 30 at Election Headquarters at 824 Broadway. Monday - Friday 8-5pm. Extended hours begin October 13th, M - F 8-8pm. For more information go to www.vote-ohio.net.

http://breedersdigest.net/2008/

Krowley

Not sure if it's been discussed yet, but I just heard on TV that the democratic congress has decided to give up and let the offshore oil ban expire.

Krowley said:
Not sure if it's been discussed yet, but I just heard on TV that the democratic congress has decided to give up and let the offshore oil ban expire.
Can someone tell me again what the fucking point of a Democratic congress is? Might as well stuff a bunch of blow up dolls in their seats.

Mercury Fred said:
Can someone tell me again what the fucking point of a Democratic congress is? Might as well stuff a bunch of blow up dolls in their seats.

Their majority in the Senate is almost non-existent; it's pretty much split 50-50.

See: http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/senate/vote-missers/ (numbers for D/R/I at the top of the list).

Wiki shows the latest voting share for the House at: 54.3% (D) 45.7% (R)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/110th_United_States_Congress

The "Democratic Congress" is a myth. It's a sliver of a majority.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Democrats won't have an actual voting majority in the Senate until next year. That said, control of all Senatorial committees is nothing to sniff at.

Hootie said:
Just like your skills at Civilization Revolution amirite
Psshh. No. My skills are Civ Rev are decent, not unacceptable.

Best sign yet that Obama is making a play for Florida.

The unspoken if widely shared view in the political class has been that Florida was going to be a big lift for Obama this year.

But new polling out today shows him with a small lead there, he spent part of last weekend in the state and he's back there now prepping for the debate.

Yet all that pales compared to the evidence tonight from ad-watching guru Evan Tracey, by way of TPM's Greg Sargent:

In the week ending Sept. 21, Obama spent $9.4 million on TV ads in roughly 15 states, up from $6.5 million in the week that ended two weeks ago, Evan Tracey, who tracks national ad buys for the Campaign Media Analysis Group, tells me. Tracey's analysis is based on fresh data he obtained this afternoon.

In Florida, where the jump is perhaps most dramatic, Obama's spending has climbed to $1.9 million for the week ending on Sept. 21, from $1.2 million the week before that and $807,000 the week before that. Obama has closed in on McCain in the polls.

Hitokage said:
Democrats won't have an actual voting majority in the Senate until next year. That said, control of all Senatorial committees is nothing to sniff at.

The amazing thing is that so many people are so clueless on this topic....

So aggravating....

AndresON777

shooting blanks
CharlieDigital said:

So aggravating....

It's whats on tv too, they make it sound like it's a huge majority.

The debate is friday at what time plz?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Krowley said:

Up next:

1. Global Warming shwarming!
2. Offshore drilling is chic!
3. Intelligence is elitism!
4. Wearing fur is cool again!

What the fuck has happened to my country.

CharlieDigital said:

So aggravating....
Right, but one of the key differences between Democrats and Republicans is the way they deal with razor thin majorities (or minorities for that matter). When Bush was appointed president in 2000, he claimed to have a "mandate." Democrats are too fucking demure. I'm amazed that in the case of drilling, the Democrats can't delay until after the election.

AniHawk

PantherLotus said:
Up next:

1. Global Warming shwarming!
2. Offshore drilling is chic!
3. Intelligence is elitism!
4. Wearing fur is cool again!

What the fuck has happened to my country.

Basically, Republicans found a way to power by keeping people sick, stupid, afraid, and hateful.

Mercury Fred said:

They've run up the score a bit and now they are mainly playing defense. They figure that if they agree to off-shore drilling, it is completely removed as a GOP rallying cry . . . the issue is neutralized. Why vote for the GOP for offshore drilling if the Dems will allow it too.

Yes, it is completely political pandering move . . . but it might be a smart one.

I'd rather have them drill in ANWR where it is far away and we know there is oil. And the government should be given a lot of the money from any of this drilling since it fucking needs the money badly.

But more drilling will never solve the problem . . . we need to start moving away from oil. We are going to run out eventually so we might as well start dealing with the problem now.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AniHawk said:
Basically, Republicans found a way to power by keeping people sick, stupid, afraid, and hateful.

So, by keeping them republican?

AniHawk

Mercury Fred said:
Right, but one of the key differences between Democrats and Republicans is the way they deal with razor thin majorities (or minorities for that matter). When Bush was appointed president in 2000, he claimed to have a "mandate." Democrats are too fucking demure. I'm amazed that in the case of drilling, the Democrats can't delay until after the election.

But all the Republican shitfaces would be all, "Hey! We're in a crisis
that we created
and THEY'RE not helping the American people!"

reilo said:
So, by keeping them republican?

Basically.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Branduil said:
To be fair Republicans are just following the example set by LBJ and FDR.

Actually, they are following in the footsteps of Nixon by corrupting the country from the inside out.

Branduil said:
To be fair Republicans are just following the example set by LBJ and FDR.
:lol

anyway
Latest LA Times/Bloomberg poll finds 55% of Americans don’t believe the government should be responsible for funding an economic bailout plan.

When asked which candidate could do a better job of handling the financial crisis:
Obama 48, McCain 35

79% of adults also say they think the country is “on the wrong track,” the highest ever recorded by the Times Poll.

–62% believe insufficient government regulation was partly responsible for the financial crisis.

–32% blamed Wall Street financial institutions and 26% blamed the Bush administration for the crisis.

–64% oppose government loans to automotive firms, 25% were in favor.

–81% say the economy is doing badly, an increase from the 76% in August — and close to the record high of 82% recorded in June, when energy prices were soaring.

–50% said they felt less secure financially now than they did six months ago and 49% said they felt no different or more secure.

–Of those who said they felt less secure, 59% favored Obama, 30% favored McCain. But of those who did not feel less secure, 58% favored McCain, 33% favored Obama.
http://thepage.time.com/2008/09/23/shaken-and-stirred/

Branduil

reilo said:
Actually, they are following in the footsteps of Nixon by corrupting the country from the inside out.
While the democrats want to corrupt us from the outside-in!

Meanwhile I'm wondering where the party is that really says no to corruption.

Oh Biden... :lol

I still love Biden, but yeah the gaffes seem to be coming out in full force the last few days.

The upside to his gaffes though is that he comes off as authentic, instead of a bot. Republicans will tow the talking points no matter how ridiculous it sounds (ie. Alaska is close to Russia). Biden showed that he's actually human. Most of us here didn't agree with the McCain illiterate computer ad either. So while it might have made the Obama campaign a bit uneasy and probably gave McCain footage for their next ad, for me as a voter it shows that Biden has some integrity and makes me feel better about Obama/Biden running the country.

I should add, Biden's gaffes are "political messaging" or "goof" gaffes. Palin's gaffs on the other hand go to her intellectual capacity. She spouts non-sensical answers and appears clueless on important policies.

Branduil

oldschoolpinball said:
So Obama is the star of a boring, over-bloated movie with lots of pretentious dialogue about nothing in between brief periods of nonsensical, manufactured conflict?

Sounds like the perfect analogy for this election season, actually.

Branduil said:
So Obama is the star of a boring, over-bloated movie with lots of pretentious dialogue about nothing in between brief periods of nonsensical, manufactured conflict?

Sounds like the perfect analogy for this election season, actually.

So then....Obama's the "One" who will save us.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Hitokage said:
In Japanese government, people aren't interested in who runs the train because that's somebody else's problem and don't want to be told about the people run over some years ago either.

In Japan the trains are always on time because it would be a sugoi meiwaku to the okyakusan.

AniHawk

ronito said:
Who are these 21% of people that think we're doing fine? I mean the ultra rich would account for 1 MAYBE 2 percent of that, where's the other 19-20% coming from?

George W Bush's fanclub, prolly.

ronito said:
Who are these 21% of people that think we're doing fine? I mean the ultra rich would account for 1 MAYBE 2 percent of that, where's the other 19-20% coming from?
Religious fundamentalists and other social conservatives. Due to abortion, gay marriage, and other 'culture war' issues, they'll say & do anything to support the GOP whether or not it is true or makes sense. You can lay them off or end their healthcare and they'll still say they are better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom