• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Poor McCain. He had to cancel his appearance on Letterman to actually partake in this economic crisis.

WaltJay

GhaleonEB said:
FUCK YES

"We can handle both."

ACE IN THE HOLE

EXCELLENT.

Now McCain just screwed himself out of more prep time for the debate by volunteering to go to D.C. to "help" with the economy. :lol

APF

WaltJay said:
From Obama's viewpoint, it's a bit different. Obama has two key advantages in these debates because on foreign policy, he was against the war in Iraq, and on the economy, McCain's (and his party's) agenda for deregulation is a big part of why the economy is in the state it is now.

I think Obama will do exceedingly well in the debates because he was on the right side of the fence on both of these issues. Plus, as far as debating skills go (and judging by their speeches and public appearances), I think Obama is the clear favorite.
I think your perspective is shaped by the fact that you're a strong Obama supporter.

mj1108

reilo said:
Poor McCain. He had to cancel his appearance on Letterman to actually partake in this economic crisis.

And Olbermann will be on Letterman instead. :D

APF said:
I think your perspective is shaped by the fact that you're a strong Obama supporter.

Do I even need to point out the irony?

I think the key pitfall for McCain here is that the elephant in the room here is "TO DO WHAT?" He's not head of a committee or a minority leader. What a dunce.

GhaleonEB said:
McCain advisors won't speak for Obama's side of the phone call but describe it as a "good conversation." Advisors also say this is not a response to sliding poll numbers and insist this is "an even race."[/QUOTE

The lady doth protest too much.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dax01 said:
This doesn't help at all...
Today in a nutshell:

Obama calls Mcain: "Hey, we should issue a joint statement on the economy today"

McCain calls Obama back: "OK sounds cool. Let me slip on a new pair of depends."

McCain talks to the media: "I'm suspending my campaign and cancelling the debate Friday because I want to fix the economy and put country first. There is also a Matlock marathon happening on Friday and I'm not fucking missing it."

GAF: *explosion*

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think the key pitfall for McCain here is that the elephant in the room here is "TO DO WHAT?" He's not head of a committee or a minority leader. What a dunce.
Obama still has to paint things that way. The media's not going to do it themselves, and his joint statement makes me believe he's making a mess of this one.

GhaleonEB

Once again Josh Marshall nails it:

What's changed today in the financial crisis other than John McCain's poll numbers tanking? Isn't this the campaign equivalent of faking an injury when you're down late in the 4th quarter? Note too that McCain was in the midst of debate prep when he made this decision.

Look at what appears to have happened. Obama reached out to McCain privately to agree to a shared set of bailout principles. McCain went off the handle again and tried to use the crisis as a way to call off the debates.
Dax01 said:
Don't do this to me, PoliGAF! What happened?!
Read the thread, or, alternately, any news site on the internet.

I suggest http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com

GhaleonEB said:
Once again Josh Marshall nails it:

3s7gc7

Barrett2

The entire assumption behind McCain's gamble is completely antithetical to the notion of what a President is supposed to be.

The President is the person who is supposed to be front and center when this shit goes down, not someone who needs to get his shit together.

snacknuts

we all knew her
GhaleonEB said:
What's changed today in the financial crisis other than John McCain's poll numbers tanking? Isn't this the campaign equivalent of faking an injury when you're down late in the 4th quarter? Note too that McCain was in the midst of debate prep when he made this decision.

Do you think he was practicing and then just started sobbing uncontrollably, prompting his mother to call and try to cancel Friday night's debate? That's how it played out in my head when I read that.

RubxQub said:
Today in a nutshell:

Obama calls Mcain: "Hey, we should issue a joint statement on the economy today"

McCain calls Obama back: "OK sounds cool. Let me slip on a new pair of depends."

McCain talks to the media: "I'm suspending my campaign and cancelling the debate Friday because I want to fix the economy and put country first. There is also a Matlock marathon happening on Friday and I'm not fucking missing it."

314drix.jpg

So basically to sum up the day (?):
35jbdzn.jpg

Definitely watching Hardball tonight. Fuck McCain. WTF.

WaltJay

APF said:

I think nearly everyone, regardless of party, agrees on several things:

1. Iraq war = bad idea
2. Republicans support deregulation
3. Obama is an excellent public speaker and debater

These three things play heavily in the favor of Obama when it comes to the debates.

APF said:
Your point being, people trust him on foreign policy, but don't know he was a strong advocate of the surge, etc., and this will be revealed to people in a debate where Obama is going to be grilled for not supporting the surge, and his comments re: its success.

I think most people are aware of both candidates' positions on the surge. Obama's already lagging in this area, and I don't think a foreign policy debate could hurt him. Opposing the war from the very start helps Obama, of course, and the guy is well studied in foreign affairs. It's just that popular perception doesn't agree, and a foreign policy debate in which Obama displays his knowledge can cut into that.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
jmdajr said:
McCain advisers said they are also reaching out to the Obama campaign to discuss pulling political television advertisements.

what does that have to do with anything?

NOTHING!!! McCain knows he is losing and doesn't want Obama to put his message out in the battle ground states.

This shit is funny as hell. :lol

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
lawblob said:
What in the fuck!?

How is this not terrible for McCain??!

This makes him look like an incompetent old man who can't face the nation during it's hour of need! Isn't this basically game over for him?

"country first" i can see this going either way.. might actually give him a comeback. what a sleazy fucken politician. i hope people see through this shit.

GhaleonEB

zesty said:
Do you think he was practicing and then just started sobbing uncontrollably, prompting his mother to call and try to cancel Friday night's debate? That's how it played out in my head when I read that.
And note too the McCain camp started the day with a conference call to damage control the ABC News poll. One might argue that is what they are still doing now.

APF

WaltJay said:

1. Iraq war = bad idea

These three things play heavily in the favor of Obama when it comes to the debates.
Obama isn't a good debater, and McCain was "right" on the surge.

Banned
bob_arctor said:
Wait, you're calling us idiots? Really?
Yes. The reaction to the "suspension" is embarrassing.

"Oh no, we won't have a foreign policy debate.":lol

Obama will still have grassroots and I highly doubt he will pull his ads. How the hell this hurts Obama I want to hear.

mckmas8808 said:
NOTHING!!! McCain knows he is losing and doesn't want Obama to put his message out in the battle ground states.

This shit is funny as hell. :lol
You guys have to admit though, Obama made a mistake this morning with the joint statement (unless it was all part of his plan and he could have predicted McCain would act like this). He literally made McCain his equal and then McCain went too far, I agree, and now Obama can take the ball back if he words things carefully.

GhaleonEB

quadriplegicjon said:
"country first" i can see this going either way.. might actually gie him a comeback. what a sleazy fucken politician. i hope people see through this shit.
McCain: I'm putting country first and suspending my campaign in this crisis.

Obama: We owe the American people a debate. I can do both.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
WaltJay said:

1. Iraq war = bad idea

I think a large majority of GAF would disagree with you there. Myself included.

He never came across that strongly in the debates with Hillary, hence why she was calling for 50 of them.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Dax01 said:
Tell Amir0x that the next time he asks for an update.

I will.

edit: LMAO, cnn.com live stream is showing a picture of the white house, with the song "it's too late to apologize, it's too late to turn around" playing in the background.. bwhahaha

WaltJay

RubxQub said:
I think a large majority of GAF would disagree with you there. Myself included.

He never came across that strongly in the debates with Hillary, hence why she was calling for 50 of them.

....relative to McCain :D

APF

The point is, your analysis has Obama winning regardless of the subject, just because he's Obama. That's silly. If you being perceived as strong on an issue helps, it helps; if it hurts, it hurts. It doesn't hurt only if it's the guy you aren't voting for, and help only if it's the guy you are voting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom