• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

quadriplegicjon said:
"country first" i can see this going either way.. might actually gie him a comeback. what a sleazy fucken politician. i hope people see through this shit.

People WILL see through this, because it is a move of weakness, and Americans refuse to elect weak candidates.

_leech_ said:
Monday morning...

McCain: "Well, now that i've fixed the economy, let's debate!"
Advisor: "Umm... Sir, recent polls show that your campaign withdrawal wasn't very popular, and you haven't really fixed anyt--"
McCain: "I SAID, LET'S DEBATE."

john-mccain.jpg

syllogism

Reid:

This is a critical time for our country. While I appreciate that both candidates have signaled their willingness to help, Congress and the Administration have a process in place to reach a solution to this unprecedented financial crisis.

I understand that the candidates are putting together a joint statement at Senator Obama’s suggestion. But it would not be helpful at this time to have them come back during these negotiations and risk injecting presidential politics into this process or distract important talks about the future of our nation’s economy. If that changes, we will call upon them. We need leadership; not a campaign photo op.

If there were ever a time for both candidates to hold a debate before the American people about this serious challenge, it is now.

The Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD similarities continue:

Blue Pac-Man eating red (same for both).
McCain cancels debate (Toshiba cancels CES conference).
???
Victory.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
GAF better be ready with a live video link when this statement is made.

I'm not leaving work (an hour drive) until this statement is made god damnit!

PhatSaqs

Banned
CNN

Immediately after the announcement, White House press secretary Dana Perino released this statement: "We welcome Sen. McCain's announcement. We are making progress in negotiations on the financial markets rescue legislation, but we have not finished it yet. Bipartisan support from Sens. McCain and Obama would be helpful in driving to a conclusion."

So continuing to campaign = not supporting rescue of the financial markets. Am I right?

Barrett2

This is a critical time for our country. While I appreciate that both candidates have signaled their willingness to help, Congress and the Administration have a process in place to reach a solution to this unprecedented financial crisis.

I understand that the candidates are putting together a joint statement at Senator Obama’s suggestion. But it would not be helpful at this time to have them come back during these negotiations and risk injecting presidential politics into this process or distract important talks about the future of our nation’s economy. If that changes, we will call upon them. We need leadership; not a campaign photo op.

If there were ever a time for both candidates to hold a debate before the American people about this serious challenge, it is now.

This is the first great thing I have ever heard Harry Reid say. Spot-fucking-on

RubxQub said:
I think a large majority of GAF would disagree with you there. Myself included.

He never came across that strongly in the debates with Hillary, hence why she was calling for 50 of them.

He was good in the Keyes debates. Hopefully facing an ideologically-opposed McCain will change things up in the Presidential debates.

Triumph:
He's basically thrashed all over the map for a week, acting bipolar and now he wants to beg off from a prior commitment to debate on Friday. Why should I think he'd act any differently as a President? Someone should get a bunch of Asian people in black pajamas around him to chant "Di mi mao!" at all of his campaign events, see if it triggers some sort of flashback to his POW days and makes him flip out on stage.

horrible :lol

APF

besada said:
Except the surge is meaningless drivel. A patch that's already leaking on a tire that should never have been inflated.
Meaningless drivel that succeeded beyond Obama's wildest imagination, and that's a statement he will be on the defensive about in this debate.

PhoenixDark said:
This might be the most exciting and nerve racking day of poli-gaf since the height of the Obama/Clinton struggles
How the hell is it nerve racking?????? This is a great day for Obama.

The last nerve racking moment was the Palin pick/speech.

PhoenixDark said:

:lol :lol :lol I'm dying here.

This is a savvy political move, and one that should not be taken lightly by Obama. By not agreeing to suspend his campaign, he is opening himself up to once again be inundated with attacks on his patriotism and "celebrity" status. No matter how utterly incoherent suspending a campaign for a bailout of Wall Street might seem, it still gives McCain the chance to further plant seeds of doubt in voters about this Barack Hussein Obama.

Scoff as you will (and I will too), this is a pivotal point in the election. Obama needs to tread lightly...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
PhoenixDark said:
Triumph:

horrible :lol
What the fuck :lol :lol :lol

Triumph the Insult Comic Ghost

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Republican presidential candidate John McCain said on Wednesday he will break off from campaigning to help on a Wall Street rescue plan and asked that a Friday debate with Democrat Barack Obama be postponed.

What a surprise.

worldrunover said:
:lol :lol :lol I'm dying here.

This is a savvy political move, and one that should not be taken lightly by Obama. By not agreeing to suspend his campaign, he is opening himself up to once again be inundated with attacks on his patriotism and "celebrity" status. No matter how utterly incoherent suspending a campaign for a bailout of Wall Street might seem, it still gives McCain the chance to further plant seeds of doubt in voters about this Barack Hussein Obama.

Scoff as you will (and I will too), this is a pivotal point in the election. Obama needs to tread lightly...

I don't think so, people see through the bullshit, except McCainers.

Holy shit!

I have an idea.

Obama should hold a 90 minute news conference instead of the debate if McCain doesnt show up and economical presentation with his advisors and the press on what he will do to fix the problem.

artredis1980 said:
Holy shit!

I have an idea.

Obama should hold a 90 minute news conference instead of the debate if McCain doesnt show up and economical presentation with his advisors and the press on what he will do to fix the problem.

Bring Goolsbee for the epic win.

ShOcKwAvE

quadriplegicjon said:
"country first" i can see this going either way.. might actually gie him a comeback. what a sleazy fucken politician. i hope people see through this shit.

Is there NO ONE who thinks he might actually want to help more with the situation? Really?

I don't really see this as "sleazy." Calculated, maybe, but I think he does at least partially want to get the situation resolved.

Also, if Obama had done this, at least some people here would be jumping for joy and calling McCain sleazy for continuing the campaign. I'm not taking either side yet, I'm just pointing it out.

Barrett2

ShOcKwAvE said:
Is there NO ONE who thinks he might actually want to help more with the situation? Really?

I don't really see this as "sleazy." Calculated, maybe, but I think he does at least partially want to get the situation resolved.

Also, if Obama had done this, at least some people here would be jumping for joy and calling McCain sleazy for continuing the campaign. I'm not taking either side yet, I'm just pointing it out.

Give me a break. There is nothing for him to fucking do! What is he going to do, work extra hard in his Senate office for a few days?

Jesus, the man is a Senator, and not on the finance committee! There is nothing he could do even if he wanted to!

I don't blame McCain for wanting to cancel this first debate... it's pretty much a lose-lose situation for him, but his best bet is to have as little on-screen time with Obama as possible.

these are dire times, and because the candidates are both senators i can see why they may need to go back to washington and work things out. but why suspend an entire campaign. i hate these "bright ideas" mccain always comes up with.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
ShOcKwAvE said:

You're on the wrong forum if you're looking for any kind of McCain defense whatsoever. :lol

TDG

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
I can't believe some of you think this is bad for Obama. :lol

This is pretty much the greatest thing ever.
I think that most people are actually worried that it MIGHT be bad for Obama.

I'm not one of them by the way, I think this is more than likely going to end up being a big mis-step by McCain.

Crisco

Banned
ShOcKwAvE said:

Obama wouldn't do this because Obama isn't a decrepit old fool. Otherwise, we wouldn't be supporting him in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom