• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Zeliard said:
What's with the pessimism dude? You even thought he was about to cave in right literally before he said that the debate will still go on.

HOPE. BELIEVE.

I just thought it could be bigger is all.

Zeliard said:
6i8znr.png
It is sad to see the nation so divided. In all those states that McCain leads in, he leads by double-digits.

Obama better start buying some asbestos suits because if he wins, he can expect to get the Richard Mellon-Scaiffe treatment wherein every little thing he has every done during his life will be investigated and manufactured into a scandal if at all possible. They are probably working on impeaching him right now.

Dax01 said:
If McCain were to get up at 3 am, he would break his back. Go easy on him.

GhaleonEB said:
That's up only one point from the one right after the GOP convention. I'm dubious that's the number, as well. It doesn't get released for another hour and fifteen minutes, I have a hard time thinking they'd just blow that out there.

Ask Ghal, he would know.

Tamanon

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
That's up only one point from the one right after the GOP convention. I'm dubious that's the number, as well. It doesn't get released for another hour and fifteen minutes, I have a hard time thinking they'd just blow that out there.

Oh it's not released yet? That's what Hardball put out there.

mj1108

Matthews is owning right now on MSNBC bringing up the point that he's been able to go out and campaign and do other things over the last week yet he can't debate.

mj1108 said:
Matthews is owning right now on MSNBC bringing up the point that he's been able to go out and campaign and do other things yet he can't debate.

Obama said everything he needed to. There's literally no way to argue it. Yes, you can do everything McCain said we HAD to do and STILL debate.

pxleyes

Banned
The McCain campaign wants to compare a Presidential debate to the townhalls McCain wanted to schedule as an excuse for McCain not to show. :lol :lol :lol

Wes

venison crêpe
It would be awesome if McCain didn't appear at the debate on Friday (just because I don't think it's ever happened before). What the hell would happen then?

Tamanon

Banned
FEARMONGERING HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

McCain advisors say they will do all the debates but the schedule is up in the air.
They also deny that there is a political calculation in this and say without action the country could slide into a Depression by Monday and added "we'll see 12 percent unemployment" if action is not completed. GOP sources say they believe the current deal is dead on the Hill and reject suggestions that without McCain's vote Democrats would not support a package.

:lol :lol :lol

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/24/1441286.aspx

Politico Analysts on the days events

Robert L. Borosage, Institute for America's Future:

Brilliant McCain. The going gets tough and the tough call “time out.” Suddenly, the bold leader wants to return to being one of 100 with lots of protective cover. Safety in numbers? Sure. Leadership? Not so much.

Stephen M. Walt, Professor of International Affairs, Harvard:

McCain's proposal strikes me as a political gambit, not an act of genuine "statesmanship." Returning to Washington to meet with "congressional leaders" isn't going to fix the financial crisis;

David Marin, Republican strategist:

This is a smart and savvy move at a moment when his campaign needed one.

Richard Hasen, Professor, Loyola Law School in Los Angeles:

I think this is a risky move for Sen. McCain. It will fit into the story line of the campaign not wishing to engage on the issues (such as by keeping Gov. Palin from the press).

Jeff Shesol, Speechwriter, author and comic-strip artist:

McCain's move carries a whiff -- make that a strong odor -- of desperation. Common ground is one thing (and a fine thing); calling a halt to debate and discussion, as if real differences don't exist or don't still matter, is another.

Jan Baran, Attorney, ethics, lobbying and election law:

One has to admire the tactic whether it works or not.

Mickey Edwards, Princeton lecturer and former Republican congressman:

Oh, brother. What idiot came up with this stunt?

Joseph S. Nye, Jr., Professor at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, Harvard:

Not smart. I agree with Mickey Edwards. It is not as if McCain has a reputation for being able to contribute to the solution of this economic problem, and it smacks of "you can run, but you can't hide." I think this is more likely to raise doubts rather than reassure independent voters.

Ron Bonjean, Republican strategist:

What is fascinating about this move is that it now allows McCain to position himself as a leader and Senator Obama to seem ambitious.

Kevin Madden, Republican strategist:

This is the McCain that swing voters love, especially Democrats and independents. John McCain as The General: no nonsense, country first, progress before partisanship.

Norman J. Ornstein, Resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute:

Senator McCain's move to suspend his campaign and call for delay in the debate has to raise an eyebrow. It would be one thing if we were in genuine gridlock. We are not. We are in the midst of tough end-game negotiations. If they were to fail, and the markets reacted badly, that would be the time to suspend campaigns and suspend debates. Substantively, and outside the realm of narrow presidential politics 41 days before the election, This move has to be seen with some skepticism.

Grover Norquist, President of Americans for Tax Reform:

Smart move.

Gary Clyde Hufbauer, Economist, Peterson Institute:

Smart move for McCain. With Obama’s lead growing by the hour, McCain needs dramatic action to stay in the game -- or pray that Obama stumbles. Obama is not about to stumble by nixing the bailout.

Bradley A. Smith, :

Either Senator McCain is putting the needs of his country before those of the campaign, and returning to Washington to help deal with this serious issue, or, after a bad week in the polls, he is again trying to shake up the campaign landscape, demonstrating that he's not going to go down without a fight. Either way, but especially assuming the former, it reflects well on McCain.

Christine Pelosi, Attorney, author and Democratic activist:

By suspending the campaign does McCain mean he will pull the TV ad blaming Obama for the Fannie/Freddie problem without disclosing that McCain's campaign manager's firm makes $15,000 a month from Fannie? That suspension is most welcome.

Tom Korologos, Former ambassador, consultant and Republican strategist:

My word for this is: “Leadership” on McCain’s part. Right On!

Joe Lockhart, Democratic strategist, former Clinton White House :

John McCain and his campaign obviously think the American people are not very smart. In fact he’s betting his whole campaign on it. Here’s what they’re hoping no one figures out.

Adam Bonin, Attorney and Chairman, Netroots Nation:

Like the selection of Sarah Palin, this feels like a panicky move borne of political expediency rather than anything which will lead to better governance and policymaking.

Celinda Lake, Democratic strategist:

Audacious but makes him look like a coward.

Eric Liu, Author and former Clinton White House adviser, WA:

The financial crisis is a "show, don't tell" opportunity for both candidates to reveal the content of their patriotism.

Walter Dellinger, Attorney:

Calling off the presidential debate cannot possibly make sense --when the candidates can just call off preparing for the debate and have it DC.

Zeliard

Wes said:
It would be awesome if McCain didn't appear at the debate on Friday (just because I don't think it's ever happened before). What the hell would happen then?

Obama would probably give a speech educating the nation on the economic crisis, and it would propel him to victory.

Ether_Snake said:
I think I figured out why Bush will address the nation tonight.

He's going to push for a certain version of the plan.

Then McCain will oppose it, and offer a "better" one. You know, to save his Maverick image. One the administration actually already agrees with.

That would be genius.

I don't think it would happen because I don't think the Bush camp is willing to take any major hits to bolster McCain.

There are neo-con strategists who are looking at turning the W years into the golden age of the USA in the event that terrorist attacks on US soil become commonplace. "Remember the days that GWB defended us from this!" They are salivating for that day. This or anything else like it would undermind that.

Tamanon

Banned
Several questions. But two key ones.

What to do about debates?

Hold as Scheduled 50%
Hold with Econ Focus 36%
Postpone 10%

Suspend Campaigns?

Suspend 14%
Continue 31%
Refocus on Fin. Crisis 48%

Would canceling the debates be good for America? 14% say yes.

Snap SUSA poll today, taken from TPM.

This might backfire.:lol

mj1108

"He gets on some people's nerves because he's so aggressive" -- guy on MSNBC about McCain right now. :lol

Dax01 said:
I'm telling you guys, Obama debating himself would be so awesome.

He'll probably even do impersonations.

I'd watch that. That would be awesome.

Mavrick mavrick!

I'm going to pull my fucking hair out. Obama's statement was more than "call me ^_^," it was "I don't want to play political chess."

Fuck McCain and this republican cunt on Hardball for playing games with our economy.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Gary Whitta said:
Does anyone else find CNN's Rick Sanchez really irritating?
YES! I've stopped watching CNN during the day because of him. Bring back Don Lemon!

GhaleonEB

artredis1980 said:
and to think the first impressions of mccains maverick decisions are always positive, if this has started as a negative,

GAME OVER
And that's before Obama's "presidents should be able to do more than one thing at a time" response.

besada

Banned
Bush is coming on tonight to sell the plan. It's not that complicated. The plan is a massive failure and close to being rejected outright, not by Democrats who just want to heavily modify it, but by Republicans whose phone lines are burning with Republican calls saying that any bail out is unacceptable.

All of the reports coming out regarding the bail out plan suggest that it's on very thin ice. When you've got Texas Congressmen unwilling to support the Texas President's plan, you've got a problem with the base.

Zeliard

I'll bet someone $50 that this will go down as the real turning point in this election, even moreso than Palin's precipitous drop in her approval rating.

But for now I have to get my ass home.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What is fascinating about this move is that it now allows McCain to position himself as a leader and Senator Obama to seem ambitious.

wow, spinning so hard they don't even make sense.

OH NO OBAMA SEEMS AMBITIOUS

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is the dumbest political move since hiring Palin.

The American people, more than any other time in the last eight years, wish to know what their leaders are thinking - and what they plan to do next and to judge that they are capable of doing what they promise.

He just canceled the most eagerly-awaited debate ever, for the exact wrong reason.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Just a warning for those of you who venture to the gaming side from time to time: earlier this week a large pocket of conservative support was discovered on that hemisphere of GAF, so things might be a little more testy than normal after toda's events. Tread lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom