• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
What going on in this thread? Who here didn't expect bump for McCain after the RNC? That's what always happens. If anything this gets me more pumped for the debates. There's just no way that they aren't going to be entertaining.

:lol

07rich_large.jpg

From Frankie G. Rich's Sunday NYT column.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So, fellas, what do you think about a possible McCain presidency? Would the lousy job in Afghanistan and a possible fuck up in Iraq/Iran force a draw?

Just thinking in the worst case scenario.

Funky Papa said:
So, fellas, what do you think about a possible McCain presidency? Would the lousy job in Afghanistan and a possible fuck up in Iraq/Iran force a draw?

Just thinking in the worst case scenario.

WORTS CASE: McCain wins and has a heart attack just after inauguration.

AniHawk

I was watching the Chris Matthews Show earlier today, and Andrea Mitchell was saying that all Palin needs to do when discussing the economy is bring up the kitchen table and lunchboxes and all that stuff. Though I don't want her to be, I think she's correct. Palin's goal is to appeal to emotion and get away from the issues as much as possible. Her second goal is to paint Biden as a do-nothing Washington insider.

Anyway, Meet the Press and the other shows start soon.

Oh, and Barack's back in the news, this time for his stop yesterday. "They must think you're stupid!"

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
as an athiest convert who grew up in the church of christ, i really want to choke out Palin anf her 'Alaska is a refuge in the end days' 'pray the gay away' bullshit.

This woman should be mocked openly not celebrated. We have a word for people who believe this nonsense... batshit insane.

AniHawk

funbcl.jpg

Just so no one goes nuts when McCain goes up a lot today, here's a fake graph to make everyone feel better by comparison.

AniHawk

StoOgE said:
This woman should be mocked openly not celebrated. We have a word for people who believe this nonsense... batshit insane.

Pretty much. Saw a news story today where women want to have the Sarah Palin look. Y'know, the glasses and such. This country is so fucked.

Odrion

Banned
AniHawk said:
Pretty much. Saw a news story today where women want to have the Sarah Palin look. Y'know, the glasses and such. This country is so fucked.
This is temporary, the continuous muck raking will bring her popularity down.

Anyone that think Joe Biden will fix it at the debates are fucking dumb though, almost dumber than this quote:
CrimsonSkies said:
Fuck you for calling Bush supporters stupid. I have a masters in mechanical engineering with a 4.0 GPA. I voted for Bush.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Zeliard said:
That in particular is so damn true. That is exactly what will likely happen. Hopefully Biden destroys her rather unequivocally, so as to make even that an unlikely talking point.
Biden and Obama have already started the "She's so amazing, she's such a great politician" rhetoric to try and deflate that.

StoOgE said:
as an athiest convert who grew up in the church of christ, i really want to choke out Palin anf her 'Alaska is a refuge in the end days' 'pray the gay away' bullshit.

Communicate it to the people who matter: people in your area of the population who would vote for her.

As GhaleonEB and even Cheebs I believe said, the most important thing about Palin is troopergate. And once I learned about that, it immediately decided my vote. I am now unable to look at Mccain without seeing pure, bloody red. But the question is, will America vote against Mccain because of this?

At the end of the day, the problem with scandal is that it is typically overblown. If I had to make an educated guess, the elections are now akin to an American Idol competition or a sports team election: Americans look at whichever candidate they most identify with and vote for them. The fact that Palin's child has a child may help her, since most dumb American parents have dealt with the same thing.

Somehow the Obama camp needs to turn the election into the issues without confusing the average dumb American. And someone also needs to prove to me that there are more independents out there than dumb Americans who will vote for Mccain/Palin; because I just don't feel that that is the case.

Odrion

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yeah, all the people who were mocking Kerry supporters/anti-Bush people got owned at everyone's expense.
well his posting stops back at 2005 so I assume he killed himself in shame

Obama using the "they must think your stupid" line can be a bit risky, I could totally see the GOP twist that into "Does Obama think people are stupid?"

AniHawk

Kerry campaign manager Mary Beth Cahill said it was a "very bad night for President Bush."

"I think the president had a pretty rough time tonight because he can't acknowledge that any of the problems that the country has, from immigration to equal pay ... he was not able to ... acknowledge the problem, admit a mistake, or say where he wants to lead the country," Cahill said.

I bet this'll sound familiar sometime soon.

pr040906i.gif

From exactly 4 years and one day ago, during Bush's convention bounce.

StoOgE

TheKingsCrown said:
Communicate it to the people who matter: people in your area of the population who would vote for her.

As GhaleonEB and even Cheebs I believe said, the most important thing about Palin is troopergate. And once I learned about that, it immediately decided my vote. I am now unable to look at Mccain without seeing pure, bloody red. But the question is, will America vote against Mccain because of this?

At the end of the day, the problem with scandal is that it is typically overblown. If I had to make an educated guess, the elections are now akin to an American Idol competition or a sports team election: Americans look at whichever candidate they most identify with and vote for them. The fact that Palin's child has a child may help her, since most dumb American parents have dealt with the same thing.

Somehow the Obama camp needs to turn the election into the issues without confusing the average dumb American. And someone also needs to prove to me that there are more independents out there than dumb Americans who will vote for Mccain/Palin; because I just don't feel that that is the case.

umm, im an obama precinct captain and am going to colorado for 2 weeks before the election. Ill be telling anyone who will listen.

AniHawk

BenjaminBirdie said:
So that's good, right? I mean, Obama's never been that low.

If they can't make Palin a relative non-issue, it's still up in the air. If they can, then it should be relatively okay.

I'm guessing a 3 point lead or so for McCain today, since Obama's big Wednesday gets factored out. Also, Kerry didn't lead from that brief period in July until after the debates, and then, by only one point. Also, Gallup had Kerry winning all the debates by a good margin (although, even though I wasn't closely watching back then, I remember the consensus being that it was generally a wash). Seemed to give Kerry the slight edge for a little bit.

StoOgE said:
umm, im an obama precinct captain and am going to colorado for 2 weeks before the election. Ill be telling anyone who will listen.
Didn't know that! I wish you luck.

Can you tell me something? What is Obama doing about getting young people out to vote, since, they could likely turn this election in his favor, especially in Ohio? And also, how might I join those efforts on the fly (I am a busy professional in NYC who is an independent but has recently become very interested in helping with the youth vote).

StoOgE

BenjaminBirdie said:
So that's good, right? I mean, Obama's never been that low.

mccain has never been that high either.

guys ignore the polls until the end of next week, convention bounces are just that.

gkryhewy

So it looks like fivethirtyeight's mid-august prediction for convention bounces might be spot-on - McCain pulling into a 2 point daily tracking lead for a few days, followed by reversion to dead-heat.

Anyone feel like organizing and spreading a "debunk the taxes lie" spam? I feel like that one has some traction.

AniHawk

gkrykewy said:
So it looks like fivethirtyeight's mid-august prediction for convention bounces might be spot-on - McCain pulling into a 2 point daily tracking lead for a few days, followed by reversion to dead-heat.

Anyone feel like organizing and spreading a "debunk the taxes lie" spam? I feel like that one has some traction.

What does that entail?

This is sad, we should be lead by our best and brightest not our average and ordinary.

The corporate media, with a financial stake in keeping viewership up and the keeping the race as close as possible, has become the single greatest threat to our democracy.

Idiocracy, here we come.

what an amazing performance by Sen Biden on Meet the Press. Looks like he will destroy Palin with his answers. Isnt brokaw also moderating the VP debate? He had Brokaw in a submission!

AniHawk

artredis1980 said:
what an amazing performance by Sen Biden on Meet the Press. Looks like he will destroy Palin with his answers. Isnt brokaw also moderating the VP debate? He had Brokaw in a submission!
Brokaw's at the second presidential debate.

StoOgE

TheKingsCrown said:

Can you tell me something? What is Obama doing about getting young people out to vote, since, they could likely turn this election in his favor, especially in Ohio? And also, how might I join those efforts on the fly (I am a busy professional in NYC who is an independent but has recently become very interested in helping with the youth vote).

well, besides the technollogy stuff (founder of facebook is running his web2.0 campaign) good old fashion registration drives and blockwalking. Pn election day, pamphlets telling people where to vote on their front door, door2door, phonecalls, text messages.

The youth vote is already there. It was huge in the primaries, and Palin is the kind of pick that is going to mobilize the under 35 vote even more. Youth voters tend to be much more socially liberal than older voters.

I figure actual party ID numbers and the uptick in black and youth votes gives Obama around +5 from what the polls say.

AniHawk

StoOgE said:
well, besides the technollogy stuff (founder of facebook is running his web2.0 campaign) good old fashion registration drives and blockwalking. Pn election day, pamphlets telling people where to vote on their front door, door2door, phonecalls, text messages.

The youth vote is already there. It was huge in the primaries, and Palin is the kind of pick that is going to mobilize the under 35 vote even more. Youth voters tend to be much more socially liberal than older voters.

I figure actual party ID numbers and the uptick in black and youth votes gives Obama around +5 from what the polls say.
Did you show up at your democratic center or something? Can you sign up online, or is it too late?

TheKingsCrown said:

He's registering them at an alarming rate. It's a good start.

StoOgE said:

Interesting about the primaries. How does the Obama camp believe that translates to the general election though?

To be honest, I believe the Obama camp needs a youth to speak to young people as Obama speaks to the country. Someone should be giving very targeted, understandable speeches to the youth in the battleground states. I even have speech ideas. But as of right now, I have never seen anything like this covered in the media so I don't know if its happening.

AniHawk

artredis1980 said:
how is McCain doing vs How is Obama doing on the talk shows

McCain's gonna have an unfair disadvantage this week. I think he's only on one show while Biden and Obama are on two of the Sunday morning talk shows, on Olbermann's show tomorrow night, and Obama's interview with O'Reilly continues throughout the week.

And he's keeping Palin up there in Alaska because she needs to study because she knows not a fucking thing.

Oh, also, he's not appearing on CNN because Campbell Brown called his campaign out on the whole experience thing.

Tamanon

Banned
I guess if McCain really was considering and vetting Palin this whole time instead of just a day or two beforehand, you'd think that they would've had her studying up before getting picked, just in case. But then again, I think McCain also thought the press would greet her as a liberator, with flowers.

StoOgE

AniHawk said:
Did you show up at your democratic center or something? Can you sign up online, or is it too late?

I first got involved by walking into an Obama field office and asking what can I do.. they have something called camp Obama where they train people stuck in red states and then send them to swing states as field directors. I was going to do that, but they wanted a 6 week commitment on the ground which I couldnt do. So Im just staying with a friend in Boulder and showing up to the local office and asking 'what can I co?'

Door2Dawn

Banned
Tamanon said:
I guess if McCain really was considering and vetting Palin this whole time instead of just a day or two beforehand, you'd think that they would've had her studying up before getting picked, just in case. But then again, I think McCain also thought the press would greet her as a liberator, with flowers.
And moose burgers.

you know i was thinking something

every single republican and democratic strategist had said if this election was a referendum on Obama, then Obama would lose but now that Sarah Palin is the 'new celebrity' in town, the focus of referendum has shifted and is now on Sarah Palin so if the election turns on to be a referendum on Sarah Palin, Obama will likely win

AniHawk

StoOgE said:
I first got involved by walking into an Obama field office and asking what can I do.. they have something called camp Obama where they train people stuck in red states and then send them to swing states as field directors. I was going to do that, but they wanted a 6 week commitment on the ground which I couldnt do. So Im just staying with a friend in Boulder and showing up to the local office and asking 'what can I co?'

Interesting. I'll check out my local place and see what's up, then.

AniHawk said:
Brokaw's at the second presidential debate.

Brokaw's been a McCain shill for the last several weeks and doesn't seem to be too shy about either.

I heard he mentioned Palin not coming on Oprah on MTP this week to Biden. I hope Biden asked if that was somehow relevant to the issues facing American right now.

I had hope we'd get some fair debates but Brokaw's a Charlie Gibson clone as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom