• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
harSon said:
Pollings are obviously skewed due to the fact the the Democrats are still in the middle of a bitter battle. The numbers will change if Obama is elected as the Democratic nominee. I'm confused as to why you neglect polling and election trends when speculating about the potential winner in Indiana yet use it as the main argument when talking about the General Election.

Demographic wise, Indiana is somewhere between Illinois and Ohio.

I'm not neglecting anything. As I already said, the demographics in Indiana heavily favor Hillary. When you also consider the polling trends Cheebs mentioned, it doesn't bode well for him. My argument with respect to Indiana is the same as my general election argument about Ohio and Penn. Once again, the demographics do not favor Obama; we learned that on March 4th and will learn it again on tuesday when Hillary wins. If you have a candidate that doesn't poll well in the states that will once again decide the election it should be called to attention. Hillary is doing that right now, although I think that argument alone would be much better than her current negative tone and mud slinging.

Obama is going to win the nomination unless a megaton of skull duggery erupts. It's basically a given. But I would bet nearly anything that he won't beat John McCain in November. I'll vote for Obama and hopefully he'll carry my state, but I refuse to get my hopes up on anything else. A year ago I said that I doubted a woman or black man would beat a republican candidate. But the more I look at the demographic breakdowns of states, the more I'm convinced that Hillary would have a much better chance of beating McCain than Obama.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
PhoenixDark said:
I'm not neglecting anything. As I already said, the demographics in Indiana heavily favor Hillary. When you also consider the polling trends Cheebs mentioned, it doesn't bode well for him. My argument with respect to Indiana is the same as my general election argument about Ohio and Penn. Once again, the demographics do not favor Obama; we learned that on March 4th and will learn it again on tuesday when Hillary wins. If you have a candidate that doesn't poll well in the states that will once again decide the election it should be called to attention. Hillary is doing that right now, although I think that argument alone would be much better than her current negative tone and mud slinging.

Obama is going to win the nomination unless a megaton of skull duggery erupts. It's basically a given. But I would bet nearly anything that he won't beat John McCain in November. I'll vote for Obama and hopefully he'll carry my state, but I refuse to get my hopes up on anything else. A year ago I said that I doubted a woman or black man would beat a republican candidate. But the more I look at the demographic breakdowns of states, the more I'm convinced that Hillary would have a much better chance of beating McCain than Obama.
you better hope she wins on Tuesday since she's been leading all along..i'd say if she win under 10% that would be a loss
it's easy to predict states where she has always been the favorite

you also conveniently forget that more people hate hillary than obama.. out of all 3 candidates, she is the most depised and her current antics just make people hate her more.

harSon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

I'm still not entirely convinced that Hillary supporters would vote against Obama if he were to lock up the nomination. Like I previously stated, the polls are currently skewed due to a bitter battle between Democrats.

harSon said:
I'm still not entirely convinced that Hillary supporters would vote against Obama if he were to lock up the nomination. Like I previously stated, the polls are currently skewed due to a bitter battle between Democrats.

Obviously some irrelevant feminists would, but I don't think it would be a massive thing. There are different kinds of democrats though, and some are more party oriented than others. I could see McCain doing well with moderate democrats and independents, as well as the moderate republicans who don't like Bush - especially in places like Ohio and Penn. And on the flip side I think Obama would do better with moderate republicans than Hillary, who really turns off those people.

Triumph

Banned
harSon said:
Yeah, what are the women who fought for abortion rights in their youths going to do all of a sudden? Vote for McCain? I doubt it. Seriously doubt it.

v1cious

Banned
Schattenjagger said:
can someone explain to me why more educated people tend to vote for Obama?

do you really need an answer to this? but if one must answer, anyone with common sense has looked into the history of the Clintons, and knows what Hillary is all about.

harSon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Obviously some irrelevant feminists would, but I don't think it would be a massive thing. There are different kinds of democrats though, and some are more party oriented than others. I could see McCain doing well with moderate democrats and independents, as well as the moderate republicans who don't like Bush - especially in places like Ohio and Penn. And on the flip side I think Obama would do better with moderate republicans than Hillary, who really turns off those people.

It really depends on the effectiveness of the Democrat's campaign. If Obama and the democrats can successful label John Mccain as Bush 2.0... then I don't see Mccain doing all that well with most Democrats or Independents.

only idiots will defect if their choice of democrat doesn't win the primary. "gee, i'm going to vote for somebody on the complete opposite of the political spectrum now."

gcubed

i dont see how anyone can say, with a straight face, that a democrat will lose PA in the GE, Obama or Clinton. If you think that, I want what your smoking

A republican will not carry Philly or Pittsburgh, hence, a republican will not carry PA

tanod

when is my burrito
Schattenjagger said:
can someone explain to me why more educated people tend to vote for Obama?

Because educated people pay more attention or have more time to pay attention to political primaries and issues and less educated people tend to not be as informed and vote more on name recognition.

harSon

Banned
gcubed said:
i dont see how anyone can say, with a straight face, that a democrat will lose PA in the GE, Obama or Clinton. If you think that, I want what your smoking

A republican will not carry Philly or Pittsburgh, hence, a republican will not carry PA

It's possible but extremely unlikely. Really really unlikely.

Tamanon

Banned
gcubed said:

Chris Matthews thinks so, because McCain is a guy you can have a beer with! And that's what matters in Penn, he thinks.

harSon

Banned
Tamanon said:
Chris Matthews thinks so, because McCain is a guy you can have a beer with! And that's what matters in Penn, he thinks.

Coming off a Bush administration, with an energized Democratic base, with Ed Rendell backing the democratic candidate, a potential Black candidate? I really don't think so. It's definitely a possibility but the chances are extremely small IMO.

Cheebs

Tamanon said:
Ever since its been clear Matthews will run for the senate in PA he has been all...weird about PA.

WTF is this bullshit

"Ticker: Nixon official backs Obama"

http://www.cnn.com/

--

The actual article is talking about a former Nixon Watergate figure William D. Ruckelshaus.... not Nixon himself... who is dead.

edit... lol i am idiot... I thought it said Nixon officially backs Obama

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ballin'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Lqm5emQl4

zluf0p.gif

cjdunn

Karma Kramer said:
WTF is this bullshit

"Ticker: Nixon official backs Obama"

http://www.cnn.com/

--

The actual article is talking about a former Nixon Watergate figure William D. Ruckelshaus.... not Nixon himself... who is dead.

edit... lol i am idiot... I thought it said Nixon officially backs Obama
:lol

futurama-nixonsback.gif

Triumph

Banned
maynerd said:
What's going on here, youtube is blocked at work and I don't want to wait till I get home to know what's up!
Video from his town hall. You can see the highlight being posted in gif form through the thread right now.

maynerd

Banned
Triumph said:
Video from his town hall. You can see the highlight being posted in gif form through the thread right now.

Well I realize he is brushing himeself off. That really isn't a complete explanation on what he said or what it's in reference to.

maynerd said:
Well I realize he is brushing himeself off. That really isn't a complete explanation on what he said or what it's in reference to.

he was talking about the debate last night and saying that he can't let stuff like that affect him. So sometimes you just have to brush ya shoulders off...

terrene

Banned
maynerd said:
He is making fun of the debate and how it took 45 minutes to talk about an issue that mattered to Americans. He says that Washington likes to "play gotcha games," and get candidates going at each other.

"And when that happens you just gotta ..." [instead of finishing sentence, he brushes off his shoulders]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom