• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Man, Mark Shields is a freaking awesome commentator.

McCain certainly had emotion going for him, but being an ass by not even looking at Obama (and thus ignoring the awesomeness that is Jim Lehrer) I think negates even that.

Obama seemed more professional, but it did irk me with some of his dancing around a question or two. However, specifically it is a good thing to identify what will remain top priorities even in an economic downturn. Still, I thought it was a great, thought provoking question that ought to have been answered straight-up. Hopefully he can tap into some of that emotional appeal to bolster his policy point, which just kind of peaked out in his closing statements.

BrandNew said:
Jesus christ this needs to be stated again:

A TIE OR SLIGHT MCCAIN "VICTORY" IS IN FACT NOT A MCCAIN VICTORY AT ALL MCCAIN HAD TO HAVE A CLEAR WIN TONIGHT TO ESCAPE HIS BULLSHIT THIS WEEK, AND IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

This was his only night to CLEARLY come out on top, since this is his strongest topic, and he DIDN'T.
Are you telling this to pacify the GAF Obama supporter majority, or are you saying it because you assume the American people are smart enough to understand this? Because I think the average American is going to see Obama as a stuttering fool while McCain came off like a confident president. McCain simply burned Obama much more than the reverse and clarified his stances concisely and passionately (even if I know he's full of shit).

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Just got home after listening on the radio. Seemed to me like all this did was cement my support for Obama just like McCain cemented support for his supporters. Which means nothing changes, no one won decisively, and there'll be no "bump" for either candidate.

Considering the future (an Obama specialty apparently), with foreign policy being Obama's weakest point and the upcoming VP debate looking more and more like Sarah Palin's coming-out-and-getting-whacked party, I don't see how Obama could lose this election.

gkryhewy

Odrion said:
all mccain needed to do was to make himself look like an actual respectable candidate, between all of his references to previous politicians he met with, a strong tone in his responses, and those little digs at his own age, he succeeded.

WTF? NO - That was OBAMA that had to legitimize himself for nervous old centrist voters.

Dot50Cal said:
080926-2253360031-1280x720.jpg

He's clearly making a statement about Michelle's fat ass. SEXIST!!!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
McCains story about Eisenhower was a lie :lol

GG

And yes, that spending freeze is going to bite him in the ass.

AniHawk

BrandNew said:
Jesus christ this needs to be stated again:

A TIE OR SLIGHT MCCAIN "VICTORY" IS IN FACT NOT A MCCAIN VICTORY AT ALL MCCAIN HAD TO HAVE A CLEAR WIN TONIGHT TO ESCAPE HIS BULLSHIT THIS WEEK, AND IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

This was his only night to CLEARLY come out on top, since this is his strongest topic, and he DIDN'T.

So very agreed.

There's probably gonna be some backlash towards McCain over his condescending tone and dickish attitude, despite a short-term win tonight.

harSon

Banned
painey said:
Really the fact is Obama should have done better. He has better policies and is more charismatic and arguably smarter. Obama should have been the clear cut winner tonight, but he wasnt. In a way that is bad for Obama, but he doesnt come out a loser because he didnt take a battering which is what McCain needed to gain points in the polls.

This was primarily a debate on foreign policy, Mccain's strong point, an area that is not going to win or lose an election this cycle. Economy is the number one worry in America today and that belief is only going to grow as the economy continues to spiral down the shitter.

McCain spoke in a very direct, easy to understand manner while Obama sounded like a college professor. America goes with the easy to digest answers everytime. Therefore, McCain wins.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Biden was already on NBC, and is about to get on CNN. And Rudy was just on NBC and I'd imagine will make an appearance on another network sometime tonight...but where is Palin?

greepoman

typhonsentra said:
Because coming off as an asshole might you know, piss off potential voters?

GAF is Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off on this one, the debate was a disaster for McCain and Obama will receive a bump for his performance tonight.

Have you not been living in the US for the last 8 years? This is Bush's schtick and the American people eat it up. The fact that Bush still has 30% approval despite all he's done wrong is pretty crazy to me.

qwertybob

to me the biggest issue in the debate was the bailout and the lack of a plan - McCain's answer was 'sure' or something like that...

HolyStar

Banned
Also you guys act as if you can't call bullshit without being nice you can do it. Obama could have called McCain out so many times on his bullshit especially with the dick attitude he's taking towards Obama. I will never understand why Democrats "except Biden and Hillary" continually use a losing debate playbook of having their opponent call them a retard and then thanking them for it.

gkryhewy

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
McCain spoke in a very direct, easy to understand manner while Obama sounded like a college professor. America goes with the easy to digest answers everytime. Therefore, McCain wins.

That's it, I'm out.

abesimpson.gif

pxleyes

Banned
Hitokage said:
I don't think it's possible to say who won tonight or not. In the end, it's what sticks in the collective consciousness... or at least whatever the media wants to stick.
It will be interesting to see what hurts most. McCain's tone or Obama's agreement with John. Apparently the agreeing didn't hurt Bush in 2000, but we will see.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Are you telling this to pacify the GAF Obama supporter majority, or are you saying it because you assume the American people are smart enough to understand this? Because I think the average American is going to see Obama as a stuttering fool while McCain came off like a confident president. McCain simply burned Obama much more than the reverse and clarified his stances concisely and passionately (even if I know he's full of shit).

Dude, you're simply out of your mind if you characterize Obama as a "stuttering fool" while characterizing McCain's performance tonight as "presidential".

Really, what debate were you watching? Everyone that watched what I watched saw a condescending, wishy-washy old man who couldn't stay on point to save his life.

Stuttering is where you want to go? Akmodanijed? Ahmamadididninajad? Ahminejade?

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
This is really all it comes down to. Obama didn't have a single strong, motivating, concise statement about anything, while McCain rolled out the one-liners and bullshit that Americans love. What did Obama say for like half an hour about education other than that he'd focus on it? He never clarified.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Fucking get out of the spin room CNN. I thought most news networks came out of the spin room years ago.

Odrion

Banned
just a reminder that during that bible debate you guys kept saying obama was either going to benefit or that it was a tie

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Biden on CNN right now, tearing John up.

Tobor

The average independent is going to see McCain as an angry bitter crank.

Pakkidis

I left at page 80, after the debates, page 120 +

SLOW DOWN

Those who support Obama says he did well

Those who support McCain says he did well

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This is really all it comes down to. Obama didn't have a single strong, motivating, concise statement about anything, while McCain rolled out the one-liners and bullshit that Americans love. What did Obama say for like half an hour about education other than that he'd focus on it? He never clarified.

You were wrong x3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom