• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertybob

sooo the campaign suspension? did it happen ? is it currently in effect ? has the suspension been suspended? does anyone, McCain included, have an answer to these questions?

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
pr041012i.gif

Oct 1-3 numbers are from JUST after the first debate. It honest-to-god helped Kerry. And with all these polls coming out, saying Obama won, well...
Yup. I still remember the Newsweek cover that read "Off the Ropes" about how Kerry bounced back in their poll after that debate. Can't find a shot of the cover, though.

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-815770/NEWSWEEK-MEDIA-LEAD-SHEET-October.html#abstract

tanod

when is my burrito
Hitokage said:
Meh, Obama never directly addressed the surge.

Overall:
Other than that one point, I think he did pretty awesome. With it, I think it makes the foreign policy discussion a draw.

However, his repeated use of "3 points are blah blah" are really going to affect voter attitudes that he has a plan for the economy and defense. They might not remember specifics of what he said but they'll remember he had a plan.

Style:
Good avoidance of minutae like the $4000 student tuition credit that he likes to talk up a lot.

John McCain did well on some points but came across often as condescending and angry in spots and evasive on some questioning.

EDIT: Obama has to never say I agree with John in a debate ever again. McCain will not return the cordialness.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
qwertybob said:
sooo the campaign suspension? did it happen ? is it currently in effect ? has the suspension been suspended? does anyone, McCain included, have an answer to these questions?
It lasted twelve seconds or so.

Tobor

qwertybob said:

Yet another McCain wild ass stunt. They are literally throwing shit at the wall to see what will stick, then moving on to the next thing.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'll answer my own question.

When John King on CNN gives the poll statistics that not only did women overwhelmingly vote that Obama won, but so did people 55 and older, I think we now know who won.

Good times.

Thanks anyway.

:lol

Just watch... Palin will go missing for the next week. The campaign will concoct a story that she has a family emergency and cannot attend the debate.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Tobor said:
Is the media picking up on the Palin no show? Biden was everywhere tonight.
Brian Williams, upon introducing Guiliani, made a point of saying that NBC invited Palin to speak post debate but the campaign declined.

MassiveAttack said:
Just watch... Palin will go missing for the next week. The campaign will concoct a story that she has a family emergency and cannot attend the debate.
Please please please let's not let the GOP wriggle out of the VP debate. After the Couric debacle I am now anticipating the debate more than Iron Man and The Dark Knight combined.

MassiveAttack said:

We're very sorry but Palin was viciously mauled by a wild moose. She was distracted by a silhouette of Putin on the horizon.

MaddenNFL64

belvedere: GAF insta-reaction - "Obama lost! Average dumbshits will think he's a bitch!"

MSM, Focus groups & scientific snap polling - Obama won

GAF - "Oh, ok."

Tamanon said:
Hey, why are they called Reagan Democrats instead of Clinton Republicans?

If a swath of people vote for all Republicans except for Clinton......
I've often wondered the same. When will be able to retire that little phrase.

While I was filled with anger and wanted Obama to attack McCain for his false claims near the end of the debate, I think Obama did the right thing by saying "I'd like to respond to John's...." *McCain rambling in the background* *Jim saying there's no time* "...OK Jim, nevermind, go on to the next question."

To me it sounded so very soft, but I think it made him look gentle and likable (or as so many people call it "presidential") to a lot of viewers.

MaddenNFL64 said:
belvedere: GAF insta-reaction - "Obama lost! Average dumbshits will think he's a bitch!"

GAF - "Oh, ok."

We weren't all so eager to be pessimistic.

Sharp

MassiveAttack said:
I really don't know how they're going to handle that one. Biden looked sharp tonight in his responses, attacking McCain for being stuck in the past and pointing out all his mistakes. Doing everything Obama wasn't, really, being very aggressive. Palin is fucked anyway in any debate with a moderately intelligent person, but she will be fucked if she goes up against Biden.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
MassiveAttack said:
"This ruthless campaign has showed me that I couldn't do this to my children. Trig needs me, my dumbass daughter and her redneck groom need me. There are plenty of brave soldiers in the Republican party willing to help John McCain to reach the White House and put this country back on track blahblahblah".

I am kind of expecting something like that.

Zeliard

Chiggs said:
Uh, the number is obviously a joke. Stating the obvious, I know. :D

Ah. I thought you were attempting to rationalize the poll. :p

MaddenNFL64 said:

GAF - "Oh, ok."

Completely untrue. A shitload of us were saying that McCain lost.

reilo said:
Who said that?

Conservatives are, these days.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Buchanan: "Judged on points, the mean guy won."

*chuckles all around*

Olbermann: "Now who did you mean by that?"

:lol :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I personally felt that Obama won, but I felt the American public would think McCain won.

Again, I'm glad to see that Americans can be somewhat trusted.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
tanod said:
EDIT: Obama has to never say I agree with John in a debate ever again. McCain will not return the cordialness.
I would like to think that most people will see that as a weakness of McCain, not of Obama. Esp. if you're going to claim to be bipartisan.

WinFonda

Tommie Hu$tle said:
I wish Obama would say "I'll admit I was wrong about the surge the moment you admit you were wrong about invading Iraq in the first place."
I agree, but his chance for doing this (at least in the debates) are now slim.

At times, Obama did a poor job deflecting McCain's attacks. Even though he was very pointed on the facts, he needed to come up with more succinct and sharp counter arguments. On substance, Obama won no doubt. Here's the problem: American Presidential debates really aren't about substance. They're about making your opponent look bad. Had Obama seized the moment, I believe that McCain would have been toast. And given McCain's illustrious ill-tempered demeanor, make that burnt toast.

I believe Obama could and should have won this debate decisively. I mean he's got so much in his favor politically, but he failed to capitalize on most of it. And that's where my (personal) disappointment comes from, not that John McCain was brilliant tonight, far from it. But because I honestly expected more from Obama. He was too lax, and McCain is simply too stubborn for the type of debate Obama was trying to conduct. Hopefully he rectifies this oversight or miscalculation in the forthcoming debates.

Tobor

Sharp said:
I really don't know how they're going to handle that one. Biden looked sharp tonight in his responses, attacking McCain for being stuck in the past and pointing out all his mistakes. Doing everything Obama wasn't, really, being very aggressive. Palin is fucked anyway in any debate with a moderately intelligent person, but she will be fucked if she goes up against Biden.

She'll have to be in full on hockey mom caribou mode. Her only chance is to sound folksy and...

Oh, who am I kidding, she's fucked.

AniHawk

Son of Godzilla said:
Is anyone else worried about all these political movies coming out turning off voters? W, Religulous, and that fat guy's flick all within like two weeks.

I doubt anyone sees any of them. Except maybe W.

RubxQub said:
I personally felt that Obama won, but I felt the American public would think McCain won.

Again, I'm glad to see that Americans can be somewhat trusted.
:lol You're never going to let the American people off the hook, are you?. Not that I blame you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom