• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
akenatone said:
this debate made lose all hope that we will have a decent competent president. IF obama struggles against mumbling mccain, he has no business sitting down across the table from anybody else as far as other countries and their leaders.

I think you were watching the wrong debate.

kevm3

Does anyone else have the suspicion that the McCain camp will try to do something to get Palin out of the debate? "She's way too sick, so we'll have to drop in Rudy." I'm expecting something ridiculous to pop up between now and Thursday. I also think that McCain is seriously burning up their media goodwill by not allowing Palin to speak. Biden gave time to the media, but Palin is notoriously invisible. This has got to have the media steamed.

Now, we just have to avoid Joe the bully and Joe the Gaffe machine. If he can just talk about the issues in a way that connects with the American people, attack McCain every now and then, and respect Palin, but push her for specific policy answers, things will be good.

Tamanon

Banned
AniHawk said:
I'm pretty sure Biden would rip out his small intestine.

That probably would be hilarious. Biden's there waiting for Palin. Giuliani comes in instead. Biden asks for a brief pause and takes off the training weights he stashed in his clothes.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
kevm3 said:
Does anyone else have the suspicion that the McCain camp will try to do something to get Palin out of the debate? "She's way too sick, so we'll have to drop in Rudy." I'm expecting something ridiculous to pop up between now and Thursday. I also think that McCain is seriously burning up their media goodwill by not allowing Palin to speak. Biden gave time to the media, but Palin is notoriously invisible. This has got to have the media steamed.

Now, we just have to avoid Joe the bully and Joe the Gaffe machine. If he can just talk about the issues in a way that connects with the American people, attack McCain every now and then, and respect Palin, but push her for specific policy answers, things will be good.
Actually, I'd rather watch Biden fillet Rudy and melt his brain off. It would be glorious. Like a murder out of Se7en.

Tobor said:
She'll show. Everybody has to face the music eventually. If she bailed, McCain would be finished.

And therein lies the mortal coil... If she shows, he's finished. If she doesn't show, he's still finished. It's like a trainwreck he can't avoid.

reilo

MassiveAttack said:
And therein lies the mortal coil... If she shows, he's finished. If she doesn't show, he's still finished. It's like a trainwreck you can't avoid.
Unless she pulls a Will Ferrell from Old School debating against Carvillle.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
MassiveAttack said:
And therein lies the mortal coil... If she shows, he's finished. If she doesn't show, he's still finished. It's like a trainwreck you can't avoid.
This is PoliGAF and I expect more handwringing than this. Somebody has got to see an angle whereby she could exceed expectations and thus register a "win". Where's Youngblood, BTW?

devilhawk

Zeliard said:
Obama has always presented himself as bi-partisan and bridging the divide, even when people try to call him the "most liberal Senator in history", or whatever (as McCain did tonight).

So him saying that he agrees with some of McCain's points, while also offering the differences between both opinions, is somehow a negative? They can't both be true. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
I'm not trying to have cake. Reread my post if you are confused. The only thing I was attempting to say was that Obama couldn't have possibly won this debate by a landslide while agreeing with McCain so often. I NEVER said it was a negative, I only stated that it can't be taken as a crushing blow to McCain.

Too many really sensitive people tonight. Hard to reply to everyone that responds to me.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Red Scarlet said:
Did anyone else notice when McCain mentioned genocide in Bosnia, there was no mention of Darfur?

Politicians frequently like to pretend Africa doesn't exist.

Edit: Good lord this is why I stay out of this thread. I was beaten, what, three times?

thefit

Media doesn't want 4 more years of Republicans fucking up the earth, its the Democrats turn, oh and your not gonna get any sympathy from the MSM when part of your campaigns strategy is to attack the media. When the MSM warned McCain that his blame the media strategy could backfire, this is what they meant. Payback.

so_awes

Banned
reilo said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

MATHEWS YES!!

HE CALLS MCCAIN A TROLL!!!!!!!!

"WAS MCCAIN LIKE A TROLL?"

HAHAHAHAHAH

"A TROLL LIKE PERFORMANCE. ANGRY AT THE WORLD"
:lol :lol awesome, youtube?

Zeliard

devilhawk said:
I'm not trying to have cake. Reread my post if you are confused. The only thing I was refuting was that Obama couldn't have possibly won this debate by a landslide while agree with McCain so often. I NEVER said it was a negative, I only stated that it can't be taken as a crushing blow to McCain.

Too many really sensitive people tonight. Hard to reply to everyone that responds to me.

Maybe you need to re-read some posts. Nobody said Obama won "by a landslide". Not even remotely.

I'm sensitive? To what? Obama is well on his way to winning the election at this point. I'm ecstatic right now.

kaching said:
This is PoliGAF and I expect more handwringing than this. Somebody has got to see an angle whereby she could exceed expectations and thus register a "win". Where's Youngblood, BTW?

Sorry kaching but after the Couric interview, all possible hypothetical angles are now null and void. She's fucked.

kevm3 said:
Does anyone else have the suspicion that the McCain camp will try to do something to get Palin out of the debate? "She's way too sick, so we'll have to drop in Rudy." I'm expecting something ridiculous to pop up between now and Thursday.

Maybe she'll get pregnant again. Sorry, can't debate, she's got a Dr.'s appointment.

I think McCain did OK. he needed to do better than that though. But if his candidacy is doomed, it'll be because of next week.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
devilhawk said:
That's okay, you're not the only one out there that has a hard time multitasking.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
ixix said:
Edit: Good lord this is why I stay out of this thread. I was beaten, what, three times?

Don't worry, it's all part of the fun :lol

Normally the thread does not move quite this fast

Lemonz

Can't look at me?

610x.jpg

340x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

340x.jpg

610x.jpg

reilo

There's someone waving a huge Israeli flag in the background of the Hardball set...

devilhawk said:
I'm not trying to have cake. Reread my post if you are confused. The only thing I was refuting was that Obama couldn't have possibly won this debate by a landslide while agree with McCain so often. I NEVER said it was a negative, I only stated that it can't be taken as a crushing blow to McCain.

But you're still missing the climate here. You're not taking anything other than the debate into account; this was McCain's "last best hope". He's down in the polls and he and his VP pick have been skewered in the national spotlight this week. The economy is struggling (His weak area). He looked weak on the economy, competent (In the eyes of his surrogates) on foreign policy, but all of his positives were outweighed by his disrespectful tone, insults, and inability to look eye-to-eye with the man who he is supposed to be more experienced than.

He had to win this debate by a landslide; anything less would be seen as a significant win for Obama (And that is exactly what happened).

devilhawk

Zeliard said:
Maybe you need to re-read some posts. Nobody said Obama won "by a landslide". Not even remotely.

I'm sensitive? To what? Obama is well on his way to winning the election at this point. I'm ecstatic right now.
There have been numerous "Obama easily won" remarks. I wasn't saying to you were sensitive, which is partly why i responded to you. Just that after my first comment there were a dozen replies which make it hard to quickly answer, especially the "spin baby spin" stuff lol.

Not looking at someone is a sign of subservience or extreme detest and hatred. Trust me, I know. I go through it at work with a coworker all the time. :p

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
thefit said:
Media doesn't want 4 more years of Republicans fucking up the earth, its the Democrats turn, oh and your not gonna get any sympathy from the MSM when part of your campaigns strategy is to attack the media. When the MSM warned McCain that his blame the media strategy could backfire, this is what they meant. Payback.
This is what I've been talking about all week. McCain is fucking with his potentially biggest ally and basically handing them to Obama. The media is quite influential in these things. Hiding Palin ,attacking everyone for being liberal biased,.....self fulfilling prophecy, dude. He's fucking himself much like his decision to suspend the campaign.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
MassiveAttack said:
Sorry kaching but after the Couric interview, all possible hypothetical angles are now null and void. She's fucked.
Well, I wouldn't have thought we'd have to wait for the Couric interview to confirm that.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Damn.... I had to work tonight so I missed the debate and most of the follow-up, but I've just caught the Biden response to the debate. God damn, Biden just absolutely hammers on this stuff. It's been a long time since I've seen a politician hammer like this so succinctly, and because he's "just the Veep" he really gets to roll up his sleeves.

I think that this Biden/Palin debate could be a massacre. Which sucks, cuz I bet a lot of other people do, too. Essentially it's bad because as long as she doesn't trip over herself, it's essentially going to be a win for her. But man, Biden is going to just rip her limb from limb.

btw-- watching Andrew Sullivan on Bill Maher from last week and this guy is just pounding on some of this stuff. I think I love this guy :lol. don't agree with much of what he says but man this guy is awesome.

Sharp

Lemonz said:
Can't look at me?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01GDdL59NWczv/610x.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00YrbXt0Kt3Yl/340x.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bzDcf8eZy3yL/610x.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02bI8tTfVqbHt/610x.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06aC1Ila9be6T/610x.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06lv7A99jVcul/340x.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/076kaZ2gBm3I8/610x.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Wow. When you juxtapose it like that it's really very clear that McCain was deliberately not meeting Obama's eyes. I didn't notice it during the actual debate though.

reilo

devilhawk said:
There have been numerous "Obama easily won" remarks. I wasn't saying to you were sensitive, which is partly why i responded to you. Just that after my first comment there were a dozen replies which make it hard to quickly answer, especially the "spin baby spin" stuff lol.
I think you need to keep quiet for a second and read back the last 20 pages or so. Seriously, not enough Chicken Little avatars to throw around.

Beavertown

Garbage
The few people I watched it with noted that Obama was very gracious, respectful and generally well mannered compared to McCain who acted like an ass most of the night.

devilhawk said:

What thread were you reading?!

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Beavertown said:
The few people I watched it with noted that Obama was very gracious, respectful and generally well mannered compared to McCain who acted like an ass most of the night.
Bingo. The Republican hater's Ball Part Deux

Beavertown said:

He must've skipped his nap.

reilo

PrivateWHudson said:
Could it be that he's not, not looking at Obama, but going out of his way to make sure that he's always looking directly at the camera?
Lehrer is holding a camera? I must have missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom