• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

adg1034

BenjaminBirdie said:
True, but a wash is, frankly, potentially devestating to McCain's campaign. He needed a commanding grand slam, not just to gain ground, but to pull Obama back under 50%.

This debate was the equivalent of the IN primary. Obama hit McCain (IN, a state that should be solid Hillary) well enough that he at least tied him in the area of McCain's expertise- foreign policy. McCain needed to show his strength last night, and he failed to do so.

*crosses fingers, knocks on wood*

This just might be the beginning of the end for McCain (or the end of the beginning- what the hell was Johnny thinking with that?)

gkryhewy

3rdman said:
I really think that was a concerted strategy...he's behind and he knows that Obama has got his shit down. His only chance was to antagonize him and hope that he gaffes. Ultimately McCain came off as someone with plenty of understanding of the issues but petulant...Last night he acted like the stereotypical "old guy" wondering who this "young whippersnapper" thinks he is...

Yes- this was the GET OFF MY LAWN debate.

And by the way, it should be noted that McCain did not swoop in on a populist cart, railing about the bailout of the Wall Street Fat Cats (tm).

Sorry, Pat Buchanan. Sorry, Ether_Snake - put the tinfoil hat back on the shelf.

lexdysia

Banned
Sorry, I forgot to add the obligatory asterisks around the "chuckle."

You remember Asterisk Around the Chuckle, they opened up for Bon Jovi when they sang Shot Through the Heart in '86.

Jirotrom

starchild excalibur said:
i don't get it. Are you chuckling or are you asking me to chuckle?

:|

Same here, although i'm ecstatic to see that's the case. Right after the debate it felt like sort of a tie for me due to my fears that McCain's condescending demeanor might be read as a sign of power. I'm glad I was wrong for the most part.
A tie is a win in the part of Obama... McCain needed to dominate which he didn't.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
adg1034 said:
This just might be the beginning of the end for McCain (or the end of the beginning- what the hell was Johnny thinking with that?)
McCain was implying that it's 1929 again, just like it were yesterday to him.

Cheebs

We should be damn proud Obama was able to tie. He lost basically every single primary debate to hillary, usually really badly.

lexdysia said:
Sorry, I forgot to add the obligatory asterisks around the "chuckle."

You remember Asterisk Around the Chuckle, they opened up for Bon Jovi when they sang Shot Through the Heart in '86.

Yeah, i know - I was just joking :p

Jirotrom said:
A tie is a win in the part of Obama... McCain needed to dominate which he didn't.

This is true. I guess I was coming into the debate with the wrong expectations - that Obama would totally wipe the floor with McCain, when in fact, all he needed to do was show how competitive he is against this self-proclaimed man of experience.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
aceface said:
I'm honestly surprised this morning that Obama is generally the consensus winner of the debate. Maybe the country really did learn something from 8 years of Bush.

Yes, yes we have. I don't personally see how the debate was close or even a tie--Obama looked and sounded presidential, very much knew what he was talking about, and was able to stand there and look his opponent directly in the eye to make his points.

Old man was old. And cranky. Young guy was young. And knew his shit. Game over.

so_awes

Banned
i'm curious about this....who/what was McCain looking at during the debate? It wasn't Obama...it wasn't Lehrer because Lehrer sat in between Obama and McCain.

McCain was looking to the left all the time...

When BO stated that we should not just react and lead only in times of crisis and acknowledged that are everyday challenges and struggles that average Americans face everyday (or something to that effect), I was really glad he made that appeal. It was a very strong and important one....and it resonated with me the most.

Snaku

Banned
so_awes said:
i'm curious about this....who/what was McCain looking at during the debate? It wasn't Obama...it wasn't Lehrer because Lehrer sat in between Obama and McCain.

And the audience was completely in the dark. :lol

John McCain's word cloud
McCain.jpg

Barack Obama's word cloud

obama.jpg

so_awes

Banned
some comments on TPM about McCain not looking at Obama :lol

EO said:
As a psychotherapist and someone who treats people with anger management problems, we typically try to educate people that anger is often an emotion that masks other emotions. I think it's significant that McCain didn't make much, if any, eye contact because it suggests one of two things to me; he doesn't want to make eye contact because he is prone to losing control of his emotions if he deals directly with the other person, or, his anger masks fear and the eye contact may increase or substantiate the fear.

I noticed him doing the same thing in the Republican primary debates. The perception observers are likely to have is that he is unwilling to acknowledge the opponent's legitimacy and/or is contemptuous of the opponent.
TB said:
I think people really are missing the point about McCain's failure to look at Obama. McCain was afraid of Obama. It was really clear--look at how much McCain blinked in the first half hour. I study monkey behavior--low ranking monkeys don't look at high ranking monkeys. In a physical, instinctive sense, Obama owned McCain tonight and I think the instant polling reflects that.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/220226.php :lol

Gruco

Banned
Synth_floyd said:
Also, what was with Jim Lehrer trying to goad the two into a fight? It came off as really tacky.
Lehrer did great, he just wanted the two to talk to each other rather than continue to speechify if they weren't in the same room.

The Chosen One said:
- It was funny listening to them answer the "what programs would you postpone or cut?" question. Obama answered the question by mentioning all the programs he was going to add to the budget.... :lol
Well he discussed Iraq and Medicare which are material, but I liked this answer because a complete answer has to say what's not on the table too. It's really just a question of priorities, so I felt like his answer was "the stuff that's not this"

TCO said:
- I also think both dropped the ball on the economy. McCain didn't say much of anything and Obama didn't really connect with the everyday hardships out there as much as he could have.
I;d actually agree in the sense that neither fully explained the reason people are flipping out so much. Maybe a missed opportunity, or maybe they're just afraid that would tip things into a bigger deathspiral.

Shaheed79 said:
A lot of you seem to inauspiciously believe that we still live in a pure democracy. I'm not saying do not vote because it's what little power we feel we still have but also try to be a little more aware of the powerful interests who can control and undoubtedly do influence both sides of the aisle. Totalitarian monarchs have simply been replaced with CEO's and the heads of exclusive "secret societies". Maybe this isn't the topic to bring this up but it breaks my heart to see so many people on gaf settling on the bottom of Plato's Cave and accepting everything they see as reality.
Okay, honestly I do think there's a valid point buried in there somewhere but you need to do a better job of getting it across. This was just a terrible post for like 6 or 7 different reasons.
Odrion said:
i wonder if he[JayDub] ever gets angry every time the game gives him a free potion :b
HA

Okay, so...

Having watched the debate away from GAF, I had gotten the impression that Obama did will, just by watching the feedback to his responses rise slowly over the night. My own impression was that he did will and that it was a good night for him not only because he got to talk about the economy, but because he demonstrated significant knowledge about foreign policy issues. I loved that he got to explain to McCain the difference between stated rates and effective rates for corporate taxes. I think the biggest dropped opportunities were 1) failing to beat up McCain when he talked about his Boeing investigations. Huge opportunity, but extremely obscure so it doesn't surprise me if he wasn't prepared for it. 2) failing to explain why the surge did not "work" and 3) I don't get why everyone has suddenly given up discussing Georgia's behavior in the Otessia fiasco. Probably they're blustering and we don't want to hurt their feelings over the pipeline I guess.

However, even though I though Obama did "well" I was genuinely shocked by the margins he was getting in the post debate polls. My theory is that we're seeing a mitigation of the "scary muslim" or "too inexperienced" or "just a good speaker" factor. A lot of people still probably just haven't gotten the chance to see him going deep into policy and particularly foreign policy, so just to seem him have a significant substantive grasp and go toe-to-toe with McCain caused a surprisingly good reaction.

That said, if polls trend upwards any further, we're seriously talking about 8 Senate pickups, particularly now that Franken and Merkley are closing. And we won't be talking about VA and CO late into the night on election night; NC and IN are going to be the ones that keep us up. If we bother to stay up.

I love how some GAFers (possibly republican leaning if I had to guess) are now running with the story of the debate being a tie. The debate was not a tie. I fully agree that in the sense of an overall policy discussion, nothing really set them apart and you could call that a "tie". But Obama had a clear, although not extremely significant, but still clear lead in all the positive psychological indicators that would show him as a better president to a 40 million thick audience: looking presidential, acting presidential, praising your opponent, posture, and being down to earth. His answers were also rational and APPEARED rational to the everyday viewer.

McCain wasn't able to effectively take this away from Obama, and that's why Obama won. He was simply too old, grumpy, and mean on all his policy discussions. And this is a huge bar he has to overcome. and the other huge bar is trying to make Obama appear like he doesn't know what he is talking about...and we all know that's really damn hard. Obama is viciously intelligent.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Gruco said:
That said, if polls trend upwards any further, we're seriously talking about 8 Senate pickups, particularly now that Franken and Merkley are closing. And we won't be talking about VA and CO late into the night on election night; NC and IN are going to be the ones that keep us up. If we bother to stay up.
If that's the situation then you'll have a lot of gaffers on alcohol poisoning watch.

TheKingsCrown said:
I love how some GAFers (possibly republican leaning if I had to guess) are now running with the story of the debate being a tie. The debate was not a tie.
Are you seriously trying to say "SEE WE WERE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME?" This thread has been such a rollercoaster of opinion you are in no position to call out "republican leaning" posters.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
so_awes said:

2vbloop.jpg

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
TheKingsCrown said:
I love how some GAFers (possibly republican leaning if I had to guess) are now running with the story of the debate being a tie. The debate was not a tie. I fully agree that in the sense of an overall policy discussion, nothing really set them apart and you could call that a "tie". But Obama had a clear, although not extremely significant, but still clear lead in all the positive psychological indicators that would show him as a better president to a 40 million thick audience: looking presidential, acting presidential, praising your opponent, posture, and being down to earth. His answers were also rational and APPEARED rational to the everyday viewer.

McCain wasn't able to effectively take this away from Obama, and that's why Obama won. He was simply too old, grumpy, and mean on all his policy discussions. And this is a huge bar he has to overcome. and the other huge bar is trying to make Obama appear like he doesn't know what he is talking about...and we all know that's really damn hard. Obama is viciously intelligent.

Old short guy: old and cranky.

Young tall guy: young and cool.

Even if we all agree both knew their shit, young guy wins easy.

McCain said:
Obama, you don't understand...

*Obama responds*

Audience at home said:
Damn, Obama understands all kinds of shit!

Shaheed79 said:
A lot of you seem to inauspiciously believe that we still live in a pure democracy. I'm not saying do not vote because it's what little power we feel we still have but also try to be a little more aware of the powerful interests who can control and undoubtedly do influence both sides of the aisle. Totalitarian monarchs have simply been replaced with CEO's and the heads of exclusive "secret societies". Maybe this isn't the topic to bring this up but it breaks my heart to see so many people on gaf settling on the bottom of Plato's Cave and accepting everything they see as reality.

Secret societies? No. Corporations don't keep the identities of their executives and boards of directors secret. It's not a secret that a tiny group of people continually rotate between the various positions of power at the top of American capitalism, and entry into that group is very strictly controlled. Any hint that you have true concern for those below you on the socioeconomic scale such as rank-and-file shareholders, employees, or society at large, and you will not get in.

You have your head in the right place when you talk about much of the political process being a sham. It's a shame that so many people who share this mindset fall into the trap of believing ridiculous conspiracy theories (like the 9/11 Truth crap). It may be a good feeling to think you've tapped into a truth that only a tiny minority is smart enough to see, but that's a very destructive rush.

HolyStar

Banned
Hitokage said:

Are you seriously trying to say "SEE WE WERE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME?" This thread has been such a rollercoaster of opinion you are in no position to call out "republican leaning" posters.

Yeah it is pretty ridiculous GAF is heavly liberal almost everyone is wants Obama to win yet if someone thinks McCain has an edge he is a fudamentalist Christian and a piece of shit. :lol :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
HolyStar said:
Yeah it is pretty ridiculous GAF is heavly liberal almost everyone is wants Obama to win yet if someone thinks McCain has an edge he is a fudamentalist Christian and a piece of shit. :lol :lol

So wait, the initial reaction here was that McCain won/Obama lost?? :lol Talk about high fucking expectations. Perhaps most were miffed at McCain not up and melting at the sight of 'Bam, ala Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

The Lamonster said:
Can someone explain the new thread title plz?

During and after the debate, most of GAF thought that Obama lost and McCain won by a margin. Then the polls came in which gave favor to Obama.

lexdysia

Banned
I'm never browsing Gaf during debates or speeches again.

Last night and during the Palin RNC speech I was browsing GAF and both times I overreacted.

If it wasn't for Pat Buchanan's even appraisal that Obama was presidential and came off as a nice guy I don't know how I would have slept last night. Leave it to Winnie the Pooh to tuck me in....

*shudder*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom