• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even in the pouring rain - Obama/Biden pics

r4136019414.jpg

In pouring rain, Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) (L) and his vice presidential running mate Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) wave to supporters during a campaign rally at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia September 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008
(USA)

r2236082658.jpg

Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) (L) and his vice presidential running mate Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) shake hands on stage during a rain shower at a campaign rally at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia, September 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008
(USA)

r368707940.jpg

Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) speaks during a campaign rally in the rain at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia, September 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008
(USA)

r2136846569.jpg

Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) speaks during a campaign rally in the rain at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia September 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008
(USA)

r234636207.jpg

In pouring rain, Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) waves to supporters during a campaign rally at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia, September 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008
(USA)

r3238265192.jpg

Supporters of Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) listen to his speech during a downpour during a campaign rally at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia September 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008
(USA)

r2519079503.jpg

Supporters of Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) cheer as the rain pours down during a campaign rally at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia, September 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008
(USA)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
mAcOdIn said:
I think otherwise. Dying heroically and in vain are two totally different things. If someone throws a grenade and I jump on it, well that's pretty fucking heroic, but if no-one else was around, well you know...... why do it?

But if it's about what gets points with crowds oh sure, Obama rocks, but I totally disagree with him. If we do lose Iraq those deaths will have been in vain, no ifs ands or buts. That's just how it is. Doesn't make those individuals less heroic, but it does mean they died for nothing.

Well, I dont think they are in vain at this point. Good came of it, Saddam is gone, the Iraqi people will hopefully wind up better off down the road. I think the war was a miserable mistake, but it doesnt mean some good hasnt come out of it.

I guess I do mostly agree with you that soldiers can die in vain, but I think Obama was trying to make the same point not to politicize the soldiers sacrifice. He may have taken some semantic liberty in order to tip toe around a quagmire, but I think the point he made is accurate and resonated well.

numble

mAcOdIn said:
I think otherwise. Dying heroically and in vain are two totally different things. If someone throws a grenade and I jump on it, well that's pretty fucking heroic, but if no-one else was around, well you know...... why do it?

But if it's about what gets points with crowds oh sure, Obama rocks, but I totally disagree with him. If we do lose Iraq those deaths will have been in vain, no ifs ands or buts. That's just how it is. Doesn't make those individuals less heroic, but it does mean they died for nothing.
Question: If we leave due to the Bush-Maliki agreed time horizon for withdrawal, are they dying in vain?

i cant find any links to the speech of fire that the O man gave today in NC.

also i am finding it hard to realize how fucked we are. people keep thinking its not as bad as the crash because the infrastructure we have set up wont go away. we still have super highways, and mcdonalds and mass consumerism.

i know were fucked, i know i will have to do my part of help pay to get it back, but i am hoping this is the kick in the ass America needed to be drop its shit from super power to just that western country founded by stupid protestants. if this situation can damage our nations arrogance than it may be the most world view changing since the activation of the atomic bomb on civilians/winning WWII.

MoxManiac said:
Man, the House Republicans are really going to take the fall for this if it fails, aren't they?

Which is precisely why it won't fail. They can't afford let it fail in an election year. No one wants to take the fall for it.

mAcOdIn

numble said:
Question: If we leave due to the Bush-Maliki agreed time horizon for withdrawal, are they dying in vain?

Good question. Technically, not so much, the goal was to put a government in place and if that is what the administration wishes then that's what should be done. Same thing if a Democrat would have pushed for that.

Obama was never for the war, and for that I give him credit, he's not a hypocrite, but he has been for pulling out since the beginning, so luck would have just been on the pro-finishing Iraq war's side, if he happens to get into office so late that all he can do is pull out with an Iraqi time table.

Now that said, I do think it's still entirely possible that they've died in vain even if this current Iraqi government does want us out, if it's because we've just fucked up the whole situation so fucking badly that they believe us leaving is the only chance they have and still fail, or they then turn around and kill everyone they don't like.

I hate to say it but in our current position I wonder if there even is a way to make it so the war was not in vain short of invading again. And I know that's where a lot of you guys stand so I can respect that. I just don't like mixing words.

Diablos

Chiggs said:
Oh, it won't be just them. I assure you.
America's view on Congress confuses me. I often wonder if a lot of people polled are even aware of who is doing what in Congress, it isn't quite as simple as placing the blame on one or two individuals (i.e. Bush/Cheney).

That said, this country absolutely hates Congress (despite the 110th actually doing some good things that no one ever talks about), so yeah, I'd agree that both sides will take the blame no matter who may fuck it up. I just have a gut feeling.

for each answer, she'd start off like the real palin and then kind of exaggerate. for the bailout Q, it literally was almost her exact answer. some mixing up of it, but hitting each point she did, just like she did it. like, it was hilarious in that snl didnt have to write anything.

and by hilarious i mean i am actually very sad that that was possible.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
kkaabboomm said:
for each answer, she'd start off like the real palin and then kind of exaggerate. for the bailout Q, it literally was almost her exact answer. some mixing up of it, but hitting each point she did, just like she did it. like, it was hilarious in that snl didnt have to write anything.

and by hilarious i mean i am actually very sad that that was possible.
...and more than a little scary.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
MassiveAttack said:
No. No news yet other than a vague deadline of Sunday evening.

Naw, it sounds like something big is happening, blackberries of staffers are sequestered, a sure sign that they dont want news to leak.

DEBATE SKIT.

Not to sound like a dick but is there something wrong with mccain's arms that it always looks like he's struggling to lift them or is it just the way he acts?

so_awes

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Not to sound like a dick but is there something wrong with mccain's arms that it always looks like he's struggling to lift them or is it just the way he acts?
POWPOWPOWPOWPWOWOWPOWOPWOWPWOWOWPWOWPWPOWPOWPWO

Tamanon

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

POW!

Injury from enhanced interrogation techniques.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Crash landing injury + torture + no medical care in Vietnamese prison.

HE WAS A POW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom