• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ether_Snake said:
The real interview is better. I really thought she was gonna give the "real" answer to the Russia question. That would have been hilarious. At least they did that for the bailout question, well almost.
Yeah, it's hard to make a joke out of something already embarrassingly stupid by shifting words around.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hitokage said:
Yeah, it's hard to make a joke out of something already embarrassingly stupid by shifting words around.

It's worst when you read it:

Couric: Have you ever been involved in any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

Palin: We have trade missions back and forth, we do. It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state.

This is 100% Miss South Carolina material. 100%

Tobor

Ether_Snake said:
It's worst when you read it:

Couric: Have you ever been involved in any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

Palin: We have trade missions back and forth, we do. It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state.

This is 100% Miss South Carolina material. 100%

SNL should have just done a word for word reenactment, then broken character and told the audience.

"These aren't jokes, people."

Tobor said:
SNL should have just done a word for word reenactment, then broken character and told the audience.

"These aren't jokes, people."
They really did a word for word enactment for at least part of it! That's the hilarious part!:lol :lol :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
We don't have to second-guess what their efforts would be if they believe … that it is in their country and their allies, including us, all of our best interests to fight against a regime, especially Iran, who would seek to wipe them off the face of the earth. It is obvious to me who the good guys are in this one and who the bad guys are. The bad guys are the ones who say Israel is a stinking corpse and should be wiped off the face of the earth. That's not a good guy who is saying that. Now, one who would seek to protect the good guys in this, the leaders of Israel and her friends, her allies, including the United States, in my world, those are the good guys.

:lol :lol :lol

I had forgotten how bad that one was until I read it. It is such a mess.

It's been years since I bought popcorn, but I'm doing for the VP debate!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Cyan

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Meet Astrolad's best friend, Steve Youngblood. He treads where Astrolad fears to tread; PoliGAF.
I've posted with Astrolad. I know Astrolad. Astrolad is a friend of mine.

Steve Youngblood, you're no Astrolad.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Hey guys, I try to stay out of this thread but I'm not alone at being furious everytime I hear people say how much they like Sarah Palin, right?

Right? :(

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
whytemyke said:
Hey guys, I try to stay out of this thread but I'm not alone at being furious everytime I hear people say how much they like Sarah Palin, right?

What do you have against small-town values and women as politicians?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
whytemyke said:

Sexists!

thefit

Holy shit I cannot believe that was a US vice president. Canada and I laugh at you.

We've had some woppers when it comes to VP's here.

Spiro Theodore Agnew (November 9, 1918 – September 17, 1996) was the thirty-ninth Vice President of the United States (and the first Greek American to serve in that capacity) serving under President Richard M. Nixon, and the 55th Governor of Maryland. He is noted for his quick rise in politics - going in six years from County Executive to Vice President of the United States.

During his fifth year as Vice President, in the late summer of 1973, Agnew was under investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s office in Baltimore, Maryland, on charges of extortion, tax fraud, bribery, and conspiracy. In October, he was formally charged with having accepted bribes totaling more than $100,000, while holding office as Baltimore County Executive, governor of Maryland, and Vice President of the United States. On October 10, Agnew was allowed to plead no contest to a single charge that he had failed to report $29,500 of income received in 1967, with the condition that he resign the office of Vice President.

Agnew is to date the only Vice President in U.S. history to resign because of criminal charges. Ten years after leaving office, in January 1983, Agnew paid the state of Maryland nearly $270,000 as a result of a civil suit that stemmed from the bribery allegations.

Fun Fact: Spiro like Palin came into office with ZERO foreign relations experience.

Good luck America.

Tamanon

Banned
thefit said:
We've had some woppers when it comes to VP's here.

Fun Fact: Spiro like Palin came into office with ZERO foregn relations experience.

Good luck America.

To be fair, in a just world, I'm relatively sure Cheney also would've been locked up by now.

Cloudy

Banned
WTF I just saw the Israel answer clip from Palin. This election should be OVER. No need to make new ads. Just show that clip along with the "Putin airspace" one and run it in swing states. I'm laughing outside but crying inside...

GhaleonEB

Not sure how many are following Newsweek's investigative reporting on Rick Davis, but it's really ugly.

Josh Marshall at TPM adds on to their findings:

In that Newsweek piece (noted below), which details Rick Davis's continuing financial ties to mega-lobby firm Davis Manafort, Mike Isikoff reveals that in addition to paying Davis's salary directly to Davis Manafort, the McCain campaign has paid almost a million dollars to 3eDC, a web development company, part owned by Davis.

That's a decent chunk of change for web development. So TPM Reader UB looked up 3eDC's website. And as you can see, for a firm in the business of billing $1 million for high-end design work, their own website appears to be one of those off-the-rack professional firm template sites you can by for $19.99.

I'm not saying it's Jukt Micronics exactly. But 3eDC's existence as an actual company seems rather thin.

Now, digging around a little, I notice that 3eDC is pretty closely tied to Davis Manafort. Not only, as Newsweek notes, does the company share an address with Davis Manafort. Last year, US News got Davis to admit that the company has two owners -- Rick Davis and Paul Manafort.

And there's a bit more. According to a July 2007 article in the Wall Street Journal, 3eDC was a "start-up ... with one customer -- the [McCain] campaign." The Journal further reported that within the campaign it was understood that 3eDC was essentially a pass-through, that it had a series of other 'partner firms' that did the actual work.

Perhaps not surprisingly, in June, the Post's Matthew Mosk reported that shortly after McCain took over the Republican National Committee in his role as de facto nominee, 3eDC resurfaced with its second client to date -- the Republican National Committee -- with a contract potentially worth as much as $3 million.

So to cycle back, how we got into all this was trying to figure out whether Rick Davis had really cut his ties with Davis Manafort. The question most people have been asking is whether Davis was still drawing a salary. What it seems like now, however, is that Davis has born poring tons of McCain campaign money back into Davis Manafort -- either by having his campaign salary paid to the firm or by having huge consulting accounts set up for paper companies owned by Davis and Manafort. In either case, the question seems no longer to be whether Davis still draws a salary from Davis Manafort but whether McCain-Palin 2008 and Davis Manafort are even distinct organizations.
Davis basically set up a shell organization to funnel money between the McCain campaign, the RNC and Davis' lobbying firm.

Tobor

Tamanon said:
To be fair, in a just world, I'm relatively sure Cheney also would've been locked up by now.

Let's not forget the grandaddy of Vice-Presidential murderers, Aaron Burr. They knew how to solve political debates back in the day. :lol

thefit

Tamanon said:

You could say America let the ball drop and didn't go far enough extinguishing the fires of both Whitewater and Iran contra, Cheney held a deep recentment for what happened to Nixon and he survived politicaly long enought to come back into a world which forgot about the past and allowed him to contunue and surpass what he wanted Nixon to have, unitary presidential powers that is as long as he and his council where the once defining those powers.

Tobor

a Master Ninja said:
Way too many people in the comments section thinking that video is real. I fear for our species.

Commenting on a Youtube video should be instant disqualification for voting and breeding.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The Lamonster said:
What do you guys think of "Huckabee?" It's on Fox News right now.

I like Mike Huckabee quite a bit, despite his dumb Chuck Norris ads. The audience is creepy, though. Show has a weird format.

Chiggs said:
I like Mike Huckabee quite a bit, despite his dumb Chuck Norris ads. The audience is creepy, though. Show has a weird format.
I agree. He should drop the live audience, but he won't. Hopefully we're looking at the next Republican president.

thefit

GhaleonEB said:
I find that absolutely terrifying.

Did everyone just up and foregt the Republican debates? That thing looked like a debate between the league of super villains. They had a bigot, dracula, granpa simpson, pope benedict, a cult leader and a guy who plays a guy on tv.

Get back to me when the Republicans start running Humans again.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
GhaleonEB said:
Not sure how many are following Newsweek's investigative reporting on Rick Davis, but it's really ugly.

Josh Marshall at TPM adds on to their findings:

Davis basically set up a shell organization to funnel money between the McCain campaign, the RNC and Davis' lobbying firm.
Ok, I'm no expert on campaign finance, but are we approaching illegality here?

By the way, this just after Time tries to fact check campaign ads and docks Obama for tying Davis to Freddie Mac. :lol

Tobor said:
I was going to say the same thing. The man is charming, but beneath that charm lies brimstone.
Let's be clear: if I had my way, we'd never see another Republican president in this country, or at least for decades. Huckabee sounds like one of them that has the least "brimstone." He may have some fucked up policies, but I think he's more honest than most politicians. I've seen him defend Obama and liberals in general, and do it right in the middle of the hornet's nest.

Tamanon

Banned
Hitokage said:
Ok, I'm no expert on campaign finance, but are we approaching illegality here?

By the way, this just after Time tries to fact check campaign ads and docks Obama for tying Davis to Freddie Mac. :lol

I'm sure that it's not technically illegal. Campaign finance law seems to be the only thing that McCain actually knows for SOME odd reason.

Tobor

Chiggs said:
Again, people can seperate ideology from operational reality.

Or they can pretend they will, and then initiate a modern crusade in the Middle East under false pretenses once a horrible tragedy gives them the license they need to do so.

EDIT: To be fair, I'm not saying Huckabee = holy war, just that I don't know the man well enough to trust him to keep his Church and State apart.

Chiggs

Gold Member
thefit said:
Get back to me when the Republicans start running Humans again.

"Do not associate my name with anything you do. You are extremists, and you've hurt the Republican party much more than the Democrats have."

Oh, Barry, you were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom