• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddenNFL64

Cloudy said:
Also, McCain turning on the media was a bad idea. Normally they try to stay even but he pissed them off. I'm sure they also feel justified cos Obama/Biden is clearly the best choice and Palin is a disaster..

Check out this thinly-veiled AP hit-piece on Yahoo's front page:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080927/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_leadership_styles_analysis

:lol

edit: I looked up the writer and she's been accused for being in the tank for McCain several times before. This cannot be good :lol

http://www.google.com/search?client...nnel=s&hl=en&q=Liz+Sidoti+&btnG=Google+Search

That seemed like a fair take on both men's strengths & weaknesses. Obama rarely gets flustered, but that coolness makes some think he's detached from the moment. "Professor Obama" as it were. McCain is passionate, but that leads him to rush to judgement, making long lasting decisions fairly quickly. This rash attitude makes him erratic as hell too, scary erratic.

The writer was fair. If it skewed towards Obama, McCain can only blame his own behavior.

joey_z

Banned
When Obama and McCain were talking about Kissinger's view on negotiation, the cogs started turning. I recalled I read something regarding Kissinger on Iran. So I went to my room, threw a few books around and found what I was looking for; 'The World Crisis: The Way Forward After Iraq'. Great book. Written by leading political pundits and foreign affair experts; they give their two cents about the strategy here on out.

And sure enough, Kissinger does imply a very controversial tactic with Iran. His part is broken down to various paragraphs. The following text is found under 'Iran Graver than Iraq':

It is an accident of history that Iran has become the test case, after which it is impossible to conceive that nuclear proliferation can be stopped. This issue is graver than the situation in Iraq. It's solution has one aspect that the West can undertake by itself. Two leading Republicans and two leading Democrats who have held high office in the United States - George Shultz, myself, Senator Sam Nunn and former Democratic Secretary of Defenc, William Perry - recently co-authored an article in which we said that nuclear countries need to make visible sacrifices in their nuclear weapons if they want to ask other countries to give up nuclear weapons. I would say this is an overriding issue.

Pretty big words. I just find it strange that Kissinger's statement post debate was:
"Senator [John] McCain is right. I would not recommend the next President of the United States engage in talks with Iran at the Presidential level."

Surely something as important as nuclear proliferation and compromise can be discussed at nothing less than presidential level.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
ChoklitReign said:
Freedom must have a different meaning to fundies.
Of course it does. They aren't interested in the freedom of others, they're only interested in their own power. Freedom is never an issue when you're the one in control, because then it's merely a matter of privilege.

...but hey, gotta frame it to coddle their persecution complex. After all, it was the IRS telling fundie universities they couldn't reject black people and call themselves charitable organizations that got them into politics in the first place.

legend166

Anyone who preaches politics from the pulpit should be careful about calling themselves Christians. Christ did absolutely nothing of the sort, even when they tried to goad him into it.

Rur0ni

R2K/Kos Daily out.

Obama up.

Code:
Obama      McCain
50 (49)    43 (43)
[B]+7[/B] Obama

Yesterday's polling, the first after the debate, was the strongest Obama day picked up by the R2K tracking poll. He led 51-42, and therefore, Obama had a +9 on Sa to go with +5 Th, +7 Fri (MoE +/- 5.1 for individual days.) Sarah Palin's fav/unfav are now -10 (40/50), and Obama is +27 (his improvement is via dropping his unfav to 32.)

AniHawk

Rur0ni said:
R2K/Kos Daily out.

Obama up.

Code:
Obama      McCain
50 (49)    43 (43)
[B]+7[/B] Obama

PoliGAF, brace yourselves for the insane amount of fuckcrazy that's about to come out from the McCain campaign.

Rur0ni

AniHawk said:
PoliGAF, brace yourselves for the insane amount of fuckcrazy that's about to come out from the McCain campaign.
He's got nothing left (anything reasonable). All that's left is to steal the election with fraud and caging.

pollo

Banned
legend166 said:
Anyone who preaches politics from the pulpit should be careful about calling themselves Christians. Christ did absolutely nothing of the sort, even when they tried to goad him into it.

this. Christians in this country are so fucked

AniHawk

Rur0ni said:
He's got nothing left (anything reasonable). All that's left is to steal the election with fraud and caging.

I dunno. I think we might see a commercial with just Obama's face and the Ghostbusters describing the end of the world with McCain approving this message at this point.

Rur0ni said:
Oh yeah?
In an election campaign notable for its surprises, Sarah Palin, the Republican vice- presidential candidate, may be about to spring a new one -- the wedding of her pregnant teenage daughter to her ice-hockey-playing fiancé before the November 4 election.

Inside John McCain's campaign the expectation is growing that there will be a popularity boosting pre-election wedding in Alaska between Bristol Palin, 17, and Levi Johnston, 18, her schoolmate and father of her baby. "It would be fantastic," said a McCain insider. "You would have every TV camera there. The entire country would be watching. It would shut down the race for a week."

AniHawk said:

Sending whores to Obama like someone did to Nader ain't gonna work. Based on the peeps around Barack 24/7 and post #7069

Cheebs

Rasmussen:
50-44, unchanged.

My only worry now is come election day the "softer" Obama fans wont feel the need to show up cause they think he'll easily win.

AniHawk

Cheebs said:
Rasmussen:
50-44, unchanged.

My only worry now is come election day the "softer" Obama fans wont feel the need to show up cause they think he'll easily win.

It's a concern of mine too. I think this is part of where the ground game comes into play though. Sounds pretty organized.

jiggle

Lemme guess
the wedding will be held on Oct 2nd, Palin will be too busy with the wedding to attend certain other event. She can use the time away from the spotlight to reflect on the financial crisis and keep a watchful eye on Russia during the ceremony. How perfect!

GrapeApes

maximum360 said:
cuntryfirst.jpg
Looks like McCain's got the Porridge Family vote.

AniHawk

jiggle said:
Lemme guess
the wedding will be held on Oct 2nd, Palin will be too busy with the wedding to attend certain other event. She can use the time away from the spotlight to reflect on the financial crisis and keep a watchful eye on Russia during the ceremony. How perfect!

As said before, it would be a really dumb move not to appear at the debate. Any sort of (assault rifle) wedding would be done after the last debate, methinks, where there's only three weeks left, and a chance to get a two week lead like they did post-convention.

RapeApe said:
Looks like McCain's got the Porridge Family vote.

Pic reminded me of a thing I caught again on MTV when flipping through. Kiddos remind me of the girl on Sweet 16 who had hissy fit in front of her peers at school cause her mom surprised her with a Lexus at school (before the party).

My mom would of slapped the bejesus out of me if I pulled that bullcrap.

AniHawk said:
So would this be after the debates, before the debates, during the troopergate revelations or what?

If people thought the McCain campaign was wildly erratic and unpredictable up until now, October is likely to be insane. If Palin does poorly and McCain's numbers drop even more I expect the Ad campaign to get really nasty. I expect them to imply that Obama takes smoke breaks in between extracting bloody fetuses at an A-rab owned abortion clinic that gives out sex education pamphlets and condoms to underage white kids at the playground next door to it.

AniHawk

maximum360 said:
If people thought the McCain campaign was wildly erratic and unpredictable up until now, October is likely to be insane. If Palin does poorly and McCain's numbers drop even more I expect the Ad campaign to get really nasty. I expect them to imply that Obama takes smoke breaks in between extracting bloody fetuses at an A-rab owned abortion clinic that gives out sex education pamphlets and birth condoms to underage white kids at the playground next door to it.
That's ridiculous, Obama quit smoking.

Pro-tip to CNN.

Do NOT do a split screen with Susan Lisovicz and Betty Nguyen.

For Susan's sake. She is trying to hold it together and this would make her wanna hold a gun to her head.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Rur0ni said:
Weren't we saying something like this minutes before he suspended his campaign?:lol

Jirotrom

legend166 said:
thank you... every now and then some one with rational can properly explain things.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Weren't we saying something like this minutes before he suspended his campaign?:lol

Thankfully, Suspend-gate did not work

DrEvil said:
they'll schedule the wedding for thursday, you know, so she can't attend the debate.:lol

A shotgun wedding, Alaska style. I wouldn't be surprised if there arises a Palin family emergency on wednesday night that prevents her from doing the debate the next day.

Suikoguy said:
Thankfully, Suspend-gate did not work

NO. BAD POSTER.

We need to make new rules about this "-gate" crap. It's completely out of hand and really annoying. Let's make some examples:

EXAMPLES OF ACCEPTABLE USES OF -GATE:

Watergate: Well, yeah.

Spygate: A controversy and scandal about a team doing something illegal for their benefit. This is the way it was meant to be used.

SOMEWHAT ACCEPTABLE:

Troopergate: Ok, it's something of a scandal, still an investigation though, and really it's a bit misleading because the trooper being fired isn't what's at play here. But still acceptable I suppose.

UNACCEPTABLE:

Lipstickgate, suspendgate, sweetiegate, just about all other gates.

Sorry. But it's out of control.

SpeedingUptoStop

worldrunover said:
NO. BAD POSTER.

We need to make new rules about this "-gate" crap. It's completely out of hand and really annoying. Let's make some examples:

EXAMPLES OF ACCEPTABLE USES OF -GATE:

Watergate: Well, yeah.

Spygate: A controversy and scandal about a team doing something illegal for their benefit. This is the way it was meant to be used.

SOMEWHAT ACCEPTABLE:

Troopergate: Ok, it's something of a scandal, still an investigation though, and really it's a bit misleading because the trooper being fired isn't what's at play here. But still acceptable I suppose.

UNACCEPTABLE:

Lipstickgate, suspendgate, sweetiegate, just about all other gates.

Sorry. But it's out of control.
GATE-GAF AGE: When Should I Properly Use the "-gate" suffix, GAF?

GhaleonEB

Rur0ni said:
R2K/Kos Daily out.

Obama up.

Code:
Obama      McCain
50 (49)    43 (43)
[B]+7[/B] Obama
The daily sample yesterday was 51-42 for Obama. If that holds the margin is going to open up further the next day or so.

I'm surprised Rasmussen held. That's Obama's biggest lead.

SpeedingUptoStop

wait, so they already reached the deal?

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/consumer...congressional-negotiators-strike-bailout-deal

Congressional Negotiators Strike Bailout Deal [Bailout]
from Consumerist by Carey
Congressional negotiators agreed in principle last night to a $700 bailout package. The bill is currently being transformed into draft legislation that can be voted on tonight.

It looks like the bailout will be expanded to pension plans, local governments, and community banks. As previously hinted, it will also cut golden parachutes, give the government an equity stake in assisted firms, and establish a Wall Street insurance fund similar to the FDIC.

The Wall Street Journal reports the marathon negotiating session was fueled by pizza and "a platter from sandwich shop Cosi."

Both parties will now release their Whips into the horde of election-weary members ahead of an exciting (yes, exciting) vote late tonight before the Asian markets open.

Lawmakers Reach Tentative Bailout Deal [WSJ]
PREVIOUSLY: BREAKING: Congress Has A Bailout Plan
(Photo: Associated Press)

Is this the good deal or the house GOP deal?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GhaleonEB said:
For this year:

Code:
Dem	 207,900 
Ind	 148,293 
GOP	 33,527 
Lib	 1,374

Total	 391,094
Side note: while blacks made up 20% of registered voters at the start of the year, they make up 33% of new registrations in 2008. (Pushing the total to 21%.)

This is something that the polls aren't picking up GAF. I know we love polls, but these numbers should be what we go crazy over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom