• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arde5643

KTallguy said:
Because people who can't afford food should die in the street, without any help from society whatsoever.
Finally, someone with some sense.

Natural selection at its finest - good to see a Gaffer who's not blindsided by white guilt liberal doctrines.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Steve Youngblood said:
I just think it's completely unfair when I have to think twice about whether or not I can afford my golf club membership this year all because my tax dollars are going to support someone who obviously does not know the value of hard work.
Lol. Nice impersonation of a stick up the ass yuppie.

shit!

capt.b5dff08e596c4c539960bdc9393fb14b.bush_mccain_obama_2008_financial_metldown_dcpm115.jpg

John McCain will appear on all three network newscasts tonight, a top aide said.

McCain is at the White House meeting with President Bush, Barack Obama and congressional leaders now and will tape interviews with NBC, ABC and CBS after the West Wing session.

McCain also appeared in a taped interview last night with Katie Couric on CBS.

Aides are still in wait-and-see mode on whether they'll attend the debate, but are prepared to have the candidate jet down to Memphis, the closest major airport to Oxford, as late as tomorrow afternoon if a deal is reached.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
speculawyer said:
I don't believe it either . . . but that poll result is still awesome since it will probably cause McCain to have to shift some resources into that state. He'll have to blow valuable money fighting in what was once a safe red state.
dean-743939.jpg

"YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!"

Xisiqomelir said:
WV but no VA?

Godspeed Incog, you do the work of righteousness.

The fact that Obama is single digits in WV and AR is amazing in itself. I figured McCain would easily be ahead by double digits in both.

Tamanon

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
Some dude just came out claiming that there is no agreement, converse to what we had all heard prior.

It was probably one of those house republicans that are still acting like the deal is still even remotely resembling the Paulson plan.

gkryhewy

Sen. Shelby emerges following the meeting, tells the press: “I don’t believe we have an agreement. I have voiced my concerns all along.”

Tamanon

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
Some dude just came out claiming that there is no agreement, converse to what we had all heard prior.

Oh, it was Richard Shelby, he's been against any deal the entire time. That's just him.

gkryhewy

In a Tom Clancy novel, this is when something catastrophic happens, wiping out the entire national leadership at once.

I've got my helmet on.

Tamanon

Banned
Pelosi has apparently released a statement saying that if the House Republicans aren't on board, they won't even have a vote.

Trakdown

Tamanon said:
Pelosi has apparently released a statement saying that if the House Republicans aren't on board, they won't even have a vote.

So we get to see the Barack Obama Variety Hour tomorrow?

Edit:: McCain just left the White House....? Didn't go out the usual way. (On MSNBC)

gkrykewy said:
In a Tom Clancy novel, this is when something catastrophic happens, wiping out the entire national leadership at once.

I've got my helmet on.

And Dick Cheney emerges from the bomb shelter and declares martial law.

Tamanon

Banned
Trakdown said:
So we get to see the Barack Obama Variety Hour tomorrow?

Edit:: McCain just left the White House....? Didn't go out the usual way. (On MSNBC)

If McCain doesn't show up, apparently the plan is to have it be a mix of a Lehrer interview and a town hall.:lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
So can a candidate just address the nation like that? Where is this Breaking News?

Don't think it's a formal address. I imagine he'll be appearing on all three networks news shows, just like McCain.

Ben Smith makes the point I made yesterday

As they meet, a quick thought about McCain's gambit.

There's been a lot of discussion of whether it's brilliant or suicidal, whether his move to come off the trail and go to Washington will save his campaign or end it.

But I'm not sure that's the right framework. The move strikes me as a modest success, and it's best considered against the alternative. Had McCain not abandoned ship yesterday, the news from his campaign would have been twofold: his campaign manager's ties to Freddie Mac, which the campaign hasn't been able to convincingly deny; and his running mate's truly unsteady interview with Katie Couric. (The fact that McCain also sat down with Couric yesterday suggests his campaign knew it had to counterbalance that interview.)

Meanwhile, the candidate would have simply been swept along with President Bush's bailout, leaving no mark of his own on it, and saying nothing about the economy.

Now he's made himself a player, appeared as a leader, and shown he cares about the economy, even if his attempt to take credit for doing anything is doubtful and contested. And he's spent far less time talking about Davis and Palin.

That doesn't mean he "wins the week" or has vastly changed the narrative. But it may be better than the alternative.

artredis1980 said:
Ben Smith has always been pro-mccain

Uh, no he's not

It's a good point. The NY Times broke that Davis story late in the evening a couple nights ago. It should have been the opening story of yesterday, but instead McCain totally changed the narrative. Same with the Palin interview. Two things that we should be talking about, buried under his exaggerated power play.

But I think in the long term he's setting himself up for failure: not showing up to a debate is purely unacceptable

thekad

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Ben Smith makes the point I made yesterday

Yeah, I agree with this. McCain won the battle of the news cycle. He would have assuredly lost otherwise.

PS. Ben Smith isn't pro-McCain

Judderman

drawer by drawer
What the hell was the commercial on MSNBC?

I think it was the DFA (I think that was the organizations name) on you guys were talking about a couple days ag0

Tamanon said:
If McCain doesn't show up, apparently the plan is to have it be a mix of a Lehrer interview and a town hall.:lol

anyone want to take me up on my 1 week ban bet as to if McCain will show up and debate tomorrow night? I say he will...loser gets the 1 week ban, which happens to go through the VP debate timeslot too, for added suffering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom