• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Kintaco said:
Someone make me an avatar of McCain's head. :lol
sd3gbs.jpg

SRG01

Xisiqomelir said:
Vietnamese baking is off the hook. They learnt the skill better than any other former French colony I've been to.

Wait, Vietnamese has baked cuisine? I've honestly never seen it before from both my Vietnamese friends and stores!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
SRG01 said:
Wait, Vietnamese has baked cuisine? I've honestly never seen it before from both my Vietnamese friends and stores!

It's because of the French colonization. I learned this when I went to my favorite pho spot and noticed you can get a side order of baguette with your soup =P

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Has this Wall Street vs. Main Street metaphor been around forever or no?

The first time I heard it was when Obama used it, but he didn't create it...did he?

Hootie

RubxQub said:
Has this Wall Street vs. Main Street metaphor been around forever or no?

The first time I heard it was when Obama used it, but he didn't create it...did he?

First time I heard it was about last week, and from 'bamaton. I've been in the daily grind of PoliGAF since before Iowa, so I'm pretty sure it's a fairly new metaphor.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Extollere said:
It's because of the French colonization. I learned this when I went to my favorite pho spot and noticed you can get a side order of baguette with your soup =P
Speaking of which, it's sad how many stores here in America would have you believe that french bread is supposed to have equal consistency and firmness from edge to edge. Crispy on the outside, soft and tasty on the inside!

:lol I just started watching the palin interview.

"I believe people are looking for mccain's opinion and not obama's"
"But the polls say otherwise and obama has seen an increase in support since this crisis."
"You can't go by polls"

WTF is she talking about? I can't wait for the VP debate. :lol

SRG01

Extollere said:

Oh you're talking about bread? I thought you were talking about pastries!

... I love pastries. :D

Hitokage said:
Speaking of which, it's sad how many stores here in America would have you believe that french bread is supposed to have equal consistency and firmness from edge to edge. Crispy on the outside, soft and tasty on the inside!

Eating "French" bread in Canada/US is like biting into a messed up bagel. I must ask my friend from Quebec where they buy their bread in town...

Vestal

This is the worst outcome anyone could have hoped for from that meeting. The GOP House is all over the place.

McCain better pay politically for this stunt. Comming in and injecting Campaign politics into this, and the democrats better call them on this.

Its just unbelivable.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Gattsu25 said:
ugh

That "McCain has skin cancer" ad is the most distasteful political ad I've seen, this election :(

It's a fucking moronic ad, and I want to kick everyone who was involved in it in the face. I mean, really? Did they not see how it would be extremely counter-productive and give a narrative to the other side?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Extollere said:
Which also explains the greatness of Banh mi. Perfection in sandwich form!

Hootie

538 said:
Yesterday, we talked about all of the noise in the recent state-by-state results. With perhaps a couple of dozen polls coming out each day, from firms with radically different views about how to model turnout, and in regions of the country that are each reacting slightly differently to the post-convention environment, there are bound to be results that cause some cognitive dissonance.

Underlying all of this, however, is a high degree of near-term stability in the race. For each of the past six days, our daily point estimate -- formed from making inferences based on all the national and state polls that are released on a given day -- have shown Barack Obama with a national lead of between 2 and 3 points. This is what is represented by the big cluster of dots you see at the right endpoint of our supertracker chart:
0925_super.png

The big takeaway, naturally, is not to get too hyped up about any one individual result. Rasmussen has Barack Obama 2 points ahead in North Carolina? Good for him. Gallup had John McCain draw back into a tie in their daily tracker? Good for him. The polls can actually be more difficult to read when a race is (relatively) stable than when it's shifting toward one or another candidate. But you throw everything into a blender, and the race is pretty much at a point of equilibrium -- which, of course, will probably be ruined tomorrow if and when we have the opening debate in Mississippi.

State polls, which I'm just going to touch upon briefly today:
2887443045_1b056d6893_o.png

The best results for John McCain and Barack Obama are the polls in Maine and North Carolina, respectively. The North Carolina number really shouldn't be all that shocking. The state had been stuck on about a 3-point McCain lead for months, but with the Obama campaign having worked the state harder than McCain, it's not surprising that we finally had a poll that showed him with a lead there. Still, the model is hedging on considering the state a true toss-up because of that McCain +20 poll from SurveyUSA, and the McCain +17 from Research 2000, each of which came out a couple of weeks ago. If SurveyUSA and R2K resurvey North Carolina and give Obama a better number, he will gain ground fairly quickly. Until then, caution is warranted. One other thing to keep in mind -- North Carolina is a big retail banking center, so the candidates' positions to the bailout may get extra scrutiny here.

SurveyUSA gives Barack Obama a relatively narrow 5-point lead in Maine, making this the second consecutive poll -- along with Rasmussen -- to show the state in the mid-single digits. Usually this is the point of the campaign where the candidates start to consolidate their number of states, but there's an argument that McCain ought to send Sarah Palin out there, particularly to ME-2, where her backwoodsy charm could play well (Maine awards one electoral vote to the winner of each district). With that said, SurveyUSA revealed nearly identical results between the first and second districts, and they have usually voted very similarly in the past. Like many campaign decisions, this one will probably be dictated by McCain's internal polling.

Finally, Pennsylvania and Michigan appear to be drifting past one another like slowly-moving tectonic plates. While Pennsylvania had appeared to be a stronger state for Obama for most of the cycle, we now have it projecting as an Obama +4.1, to Michigan's Obama +5.3. If an election were held today, Obama would almost certainly win both -- but if things tighten again, Pennsylvania rather than Michigan may be the focal point.

0925_mainchart.png

0925_bigmap.png

Looking good, except for Maine. WTF Maine!

I also noticed that NV has a faint blue hue. That'd be awesome if 'bamaton could take it.

mj1108

Vestal said:
This is the worst outcome anyone could have hoped for from that meeting. The GOP House is all over the place.

McCain better pay politically for this stunt. Comming in and injecting Campaign politics into this, and the democrats better call them on this.

Its just unbelivable.

I'm not sure if that would have been worse, or have McCain arrive in Washington and they come to a deal right after he shows up. His camp could then spin it that with McCain's help they passed the bill.

Ah, I see. :lol

And a question: How was Kerry polling around this time four years ago? Was he expected to pick up more states than he actually did? Is Obama doing better?

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... YOU WERE WRONG.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080925/ap_on_el_pr/palin

Palin's foreign policy experience came up when she gave her first major interview, on Sept. 11 to ABC News. Asked what insight she had gained from living so close to Russia, she said: "They're our next-door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska , from an island in Alaska."

The comment met with derision from Palin's critics and was turned into a punch line for a "Saturday Night Live" skit featuring actress Tina Fey . Appearing as Palin, she proclaimed, "I can see Russia from my house!"

In the interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric , Palin said: "It's funny that a comment like that was, kind of made to ... I don't know, you know? Reporters ..."

Couric said, "Mock?"

"Yeah," Palin said, "mocked, I guess that's the word, yeah."

When Couric asked how Alaska's closeness to Russia enhanced her foreign policy experience, Palin said, "Well, it certainly does because our ... our next-door neighbors are foreign countries." Alaska shares a border with Canada.

Palin didn't answer directly when Couric inquired about whether she had been involved in any negotiations with the Russians.

"We have trade missions back and forth," she replied. As she continued, Palin brought up Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

"It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where — where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is — from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to ... to our state," she said.

Vestal

mj1108 said:
I'm not sure if that would have been worse, or have McCain arrive in Washington and they come to a deal right after he shows up. His camp could then spin it that with McCain's help they passed the bill.

My statement was with the idea of puting politics aside.. THIS HAS TO GET DONE ASAP.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
BrandNew said:
Ah, I see. :lol

And a question: How was Kerry polling around this time four years ago? Was he expected to pick up more states than he actually did? Is Obama doing better?

CNN/USATODAY/GALLUP Poll on 9/26 '04 had Bush up 52-44. Kerry would close the gap some after the debates.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
So CNN just aired a five minute report on the decision-making process behind McCain's campaign pause without actually noting that McCain and his surrogates have been on air all day. Jesus fucking Christ this is a sad media.

edit: Tobin points out the media's gullibility and Wolf Blitzer treats this as a talking point and counters him with a talking head from the Weekly Standard. Wow.

Trakdown

Vestal said:

Its just unbelivable.

Barney Frank is already doing some damage.

From Politico:

Barney Frank via Politico said:
He’s been irrelevant to the process. He remains to be," said Frank. "I was afraid that his dropping in here, like Andy Kaufman’s Mighty Mouse—'here I am to save the day'—I thought that would slow things down. I didn’t see any sign of our Republican colleagues paying any attention to him whatsoever."

Barney Frank via Politico said:
"I don’t think anyone takes that seriously," said Frank of McCain's suggestion that Friday's debate be delayed. "Sen. McCain trying to use the necessity for his presence to reach a deal that we’ve already reached as a reason to duck the debate is unworthy of him. There is absolutely no reason not to go to the debate."

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Alaska has become a pretty fucking dangerous place in the past month. I didnt think there was much up there, but now I know it's the front lines of defense against Russia's attacks. Oh, and it also shares a border to that nasty country I've heard of, Canada. Canada's fear of Alaska's counter-attack is the only thing that prevents it from invading the US.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Holy shit, they are spamming this skin cancer ad. What the fuck man...

This group is going to hurt Obama's polling numbers with that fucking terrible ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom