• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
How is it possible that Mccain is doing everything possible to lose the election? Is he really crying for help or what?

gkrykewy said:
Nevertheless, he is coming off as unpredictable and indecisive. Will he debate? Is he compromising? Is he campaigning? No one fucking knows. He is not looking very presidential.

He's white, so he looks way more presidential than Obama does.

Hootie

MightyHedgehog said:
Hey, dudes. I heard McCain suspended his campaign.

117fs77.jpg

John McCain? Isn't he that general's son who got shot down over 'Nam recently?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
gkrykewy said:
Nevertheless, he is coming off as unpredictable and indecisive. Will he debate? Is he compromising? Is he campaigning? No one fucking knows. He is not looking very presidential.
No one's talking about how his whole "campaign suspension" was bullshit, though.

McCain is wiling to fuck the nation to score political points. How cute.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
How is it possible that Mccain is doing everything possible to lose the election? Is he really crying for help or what?

Don't be too hasty. This could either help him big or backfire.

His campaign knows that this is a lost election. They need to pull stunts like this to have any sort of chance. This COULD benefit him, you never know.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Macam said:
Since the DKos article noted that this event took place in Central Texas and I presume, at least by the mentioning of Travis County, in Austin or near it. Austin is the one consistently "blue" spot in Texas, and if and when McCain wins the state, you'll see a blue dot in the middle. That's where this is taking place. As a volunteer myself, I can safely say Austin is well organized and optimistic in spite of the state's leanings. I'll be happy enough if we can just get Rick Noriega into John Cornyn's seat for the US Senate.
I suppose... but I severally doubt Noriega will win

1gjbd0.png

Its beginning to dawn on me that my web programming skills aren't going to save my ass in the coming economipocalypse.

If anybody needs me, I'll be hiding in the nearest CostCo, waiting for the darkness to fall.

If you don't think that a huge gaggle of financial services lobbyists crashing into the 'fiscal conservative' House GOP aren't at the root of their reluctance, you're mistaken. Hell, the House GOP wants to fix the problem with MORE deregulation. The lobbyists wrote the terms, and McCain's desire to maverick it up and derail the bill to show a clear stand against Bush and Congress gave them the means to block stuff until they get what they want.

If this was DeLay's house GOP I wouldn't be worried-he'd twist enough arms to get the bipartisan bill through. However, Boner is a limp majority leader and I seriously doubt he'll get a majority of the minority to stand with him in the House, something that is pretty much required to get this to pass.

Frank the Great said:

His campaign knows that this is a lost election. They need to pull stunts like this to have any sort of chance. This COULD benefit him, you never know.

Even dullards will notice how talks were moving along nicely last night and most of the morning today before falling apart upon McCain's arrival.

gkryhewy

RubxQub said:
No one's talking about how his whole "campaign suspension" was bullshit, though.

McCain is wiling to fuck the nation to score political points. How cute.

The entire conversation tonight, though, is "what will he do? what did he do?"

I do not think this is a good thing for him.

If there is no deal by 9:30 tomorrow, we are all going to be paying for it.

SpeedingUptoStop

Frank the Great said:

Jesus, I don't know anything anymore.

ronito

NullPointer said:
Its beginning to dawn on me that my web programming skills aren't going to save my ass in the coming economipocalypse.

If anybody needs me, I'll be hiding in the nearest CostCo, waiting for the darkness to fall.
watchmen_dr-1.jpg

God, I really didn't fully realize the extent of how McCain fucked himself until they just spelled it out on Hardball.

a) He spends all week talking about how important it is to resolve this quickly
b) To do so he has to cross the conservative base of his party

Wow.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ezekial45 said:
So what does this mean now? Will they continue negotiations?

I dont know, without McCain coming out and backing the plan house republicans will not vote for it. This is an unpopular bill, and without protection from the head of the republican ticket they will not risk losing their seats to vote for it.

Without a majority of the house republicans voting for the bill, democrats wont even bring it to a vote, because they dont want to get blamed for passing an unpopular bill.

Basically, McCain needed to come out like Obama, Bush and all the other leadership and back this plan for everything to fall into place. Not only is he not supporting it, it sounds like he is throwing a wrench in it, all but gaurenteeing nothing happens. Unless he pulls another stunt reversal tommorow this may not happen.

If it doesnt happen, we could be completely fucked for the next decade. This could be bad. really really fucking bad. entire economy grinding to a hault bad.

Lets all hope this is some sort of attention whore move on his part.

NullPointer said:

I think I'm definitely going to Law School now, just to be in school and shielded from the real world for another 3 years.

Hootie said:
117fs77.jpg

John McCain? Isn't he that general's son who got shot down over 'Nam recently?
Couldn't be. I've heard that guy died in secret and was replaced not long after his failed 2000 Presidential campaign. But this other McCain guy has surrogates all over the place in the media right now.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
oh it was fun. we had coloring time today and this time i managed to stay INSIDE the lines i was so prowed of myself. and then we had lunch and i had a juice box and it was really yummy and i also had a um other stuff for lunch as well like playdoh. it was asume.
Hopefully they bring some more kids by the home this week. Oh how I love swatting them with my cane.

agrajag

Banned
McCain's throwing the election. But what a glorious way to go out. Pull a scandalous stunt by not attending the debates, flying to Washington to fuck up the negotiations for the bailout bill... he's the real grinch.

Pakkidis

BenjaminBirdie said:
God, I really didn't fully realize the extent of how McCain fucked himself until they just spelled it out on Hardball.

Wow.

Maverick!!POW

Wes

venison crêpe
I liked this evaluation of McCain's suspension hijinks on Politico:

Here is the upside in McCain’s gamble: Congress reaches a solution before Friday night, McCain takes credit for jawboning the lawmakers into doing it, and then he flies down to the debate looking like a man of action willing to make bold moves.

Here is the downside: Congress fails to act in time, McCain gets to blame Congress for letting the people down, he misses the debate, and Obama gets to stand on a stage without him.

Is any of that so terrible?

Yes, McCain would be blamed for being impetuous, and he does do impetuous things. (Wanting to fire Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Chris Cox and possibly replace him with Andrew Cuomo ranks right up there.)

But McCain as an action figure is not a bad image. At least he is doing something, while our president doesn’t seem to be doing much of anything.

SpeedingUptoStop

agrajag said:
McCain's throwing the election. But what a glorious way to go out. Pull a scandalous stunt by not attending the debates, flying to Washington to fuck up the negotiations for the bailout bill... he's the real grinch.
Seriously man, he's going down in flames for the 6th time.

StoOgE

Frank the Great said:
I think I'm definitely going to Law School now, just to be in school and shielded from the real world for another 3 years.

good luck with those student loans. I dont think ya'll get how bad this could be.

THERE COULD BE NO CREDIT AVAILABLE TO ANYONE.

Trakdown

StoOgE said:
I dont know, without McCain coming out and backing the plan house republicans will not vote for it. This is an unpopular bill, and without protection from the head of the republican ticket they will not risk losing their seats to vote for it.

Without a majority of the house republicans voting for the bill, democrats wont even bring it to a vote, because they dont want to get blamed for passing an unpopular bill.

Basically, McCain needed to come out like Obama, Bush and all the other leadership and back this plan for everything to fall into place. Not only is he not supporting it, it sounds like he is throwing a wrench in it, all but gaurenteeing nothing happens. Unless he pulls another stunt reversal tommorow this may not happen.

If it doesnt happen, we could be completely fucked for the next decade. This could be bad. really really fucking bad. entire economy grinding to a hault bad.

Lets all hope this is some sort of attention whore move on his part.

*Sigh* and now there's no way in hell that anything is going to get done tonight since McCain flew to his condo in Virginia.

Zamorro

McCain is betting the banks.

All of them, around the world.

Including the one where I work.

Here today. Where tomorrow?

I don't know.

RubxQub

Fucking right Olbermann.

Pretending to suspend his campaign indeed.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
BenjaminBirdie said:

Wow.
Reading up on this more now. I guess that's why he pushed forward an alternate GOP-sponsored plan that, for some inexplicable reason, favors a cut in the capital gains tax and less regulation.

StoOgE

Trakdown said:
*Sigh* and now there's no way in hell that anything is going to get done tonight since McCain flew to his condo in Virginia.

I think there is an upside. I think every major financial leader is going to come out and roast his ass. They have to.

I actually feel slightly ill right now. This could completely and totally fuck us. I cant tell you how bad this could get. I just hope WaMu survives tommorow. Im really not kidding, if WaMu goes, the FDIC could run out of capital.

Holy fuck he may have fucked us already. JESUS TAPDANCING CHRIST.

StoOgE said:
good luck with those student loans. I dont think ya'll get how bad this could be.

THERE COULD BE NO CREDIT AVAILABLE TO ANYONE.

Should I start stacking up on bottled water and non-perishable food, then? Would a cardboard box investment be prudent, in your opinion?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
While I can understand and even agree to an extent with people that don't believe in heavy government intervention, I don't know where people are coming from when they think we can instantaneously go back to austrian capitalism. Even people like Ron Paul believe in a transitional period of several years if not decades.

Why all the sudden outrage? Did people just now figure out that the Federal Reserve controls the money supply, and that it's an indirect tax? Where's the outrage for the absurdly wasteful spending on Iraq?

Souldriver said:
This is incredible. It's goddamn unreal. OMG!!!!

I'm in pain.

She's an embarrassment. Women across America hung their head in shame after that nonsense.

Ms. South Carolina could have probably given a better answer.

1188475072012.thumbnail.jpg

gkryhewy

StoOgE said:
I think there is an upside. I think every major financial leader is going to come out and roast his ass. They have to.

I actually feel slightly ill right now. This could completely and totally fuck us. I cant tell you how bad this could get. I just hope WaMu survives tommorow. Im really not kidding, if WaMu goes, the FDIC could run out of capital.

Calm down, have a glass of wine.

RubxQub

Frank the Great said:
Should I start stacking up on bottled water and non-perishable food, then? Would a cardboard box investment be prudent, in your opinion?
The only fitting advice Stooge could give you is:

ducktape.jpg

StoOgE said:

Relax. They probably decided to re-negotiate at 8:00 so they could come out and offer some more hope to Wall Street, so the markets don't crash tomorrow.

BenjaminBirdie said:

Wow.

Going against the Republican party is a good thing now, party loyalty was so 4 years ago!

StoOgE

Frank the Great said:

Find the nearest breadline?

If the markets wake up tommorow and decide that this deal is dead, it is going to get really really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom