• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopaz

Banned
We can jizz over Obama's current poll ratings all we like, but it seems the polls flip every time one candidate gets a bad news cycle. Could happen again!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
OuterWorldVoice said:
HEY GAF REPUBLICANS, GET THE FUCK BACk IN HERE AND EXPLAIN YOURSELVES.
All economies like in the Iraq and everywhere else like such as...

The thing about that WaMu deal is that if there is no bailout money then I can't help but think that deal might fall through. It's clear from the report they are expecting the Government to take some of WaMu's share of the shitpile.

and yes, the likely collapse of WaMu on Friday after the bell, followed up by bonafide Black Monday was, and honestly still is, a very, very real concern.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
That Wamu news just got me to back off the edge ever so slightly.

That was my nightmare, if they had died tommorow, the FDIC would have been in a world of hurt too. Which could have frozen the markets.

Now, everyone needs to get their shit together and get this worked out TONIGHT. They 100% have to be able to tell the world we have a deal tommorow morning.

$700B bailout plan breaks apart; back to the drawing board!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080925/ap_on_bi_ge/financial_meltdown

WASHINGTON - Urgent efforts to lash together a $700 billion rescue plan for the national economy broke apart Thursday night, hours after key lawmakers had declared they had reached a deal.

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke sped to Capitol Hill to try to revive or rework the proposal that the administration says must be quickly approved by Congress to stave off economic disaster.

Congressional leaders were to meet with the economic chiefs into the night.

If this is the status in the morning, Wall Street is gonna freak the hell out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AniHawk said:
AbortionAbortionAbortionAbortionAbortionAbortion

Bush is the worst president ever. He could in theory be succeeded by the 2nd worst. and then the 3rd worst. All in the space of one year.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glrnb_G34E4

Part of what a leader does is to instill confidence is demonstrate that he or she knows what he or she knows what they're talking about and communicates to people. If you listen to me and follow what I'm suggesting we can fix this.

When the stock market crashed Franklin Roosevelt got on television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed, he said look here's what happened.

Brilliant. :lol

Pure genius.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Bush is the worst president ever. He could in theory be succeeded by the 2nd worst. and then the 3rd worst. All in the space of one year.
Palin would not be the 3rd worst, she would quickly become the 1st worst.

Trakdown

GhaleonEB said:
And it was all going so well until McCain showed up.

Reid needs to pull McCain aside and ask him what the fuck his hearing problem is. He told McCain to stay the fuck away, everything was going fine.

Seriously, can't McCain get censured for this?

AniHawk

OuterWorldVoice said:

Or he could be made the second worst and then the third worst in the space of a year.

Which I think is a more likely scenario.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
GhaleonEB said:
And it was all going so well until McCain showed up.
Was it all well though? Fiscal conservatives never supported this, and while this was hammered out by both parties in committee it was never certain that a majority of the Republican caucus would agree to this bailout either for ideological or political reasons.

Phew. Wamu staying around is great news indeed. They have branches all over Miami. If they disappeared it would've stunk. I'm just happy that Senator McCain helped fix their issues. He's a true leader, guys.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
AniHawk said:
Haha! John McCain is fucking shit over, but Biden made a gaffe! Hilarious!

The hypocrisy here is astounding. If Palin had said it, it would be a huge deal - since it's your guys running mate - it's not. The pure hilarity is the fact that he talked about knowing what he was talking about.

When Thomas Jefferson found out about X, Y, Z - he got on the radio and told everyone....

:lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dr_Cogent said:
The hypocrisy here is astounding. If Palin had said it, it would be a huge deal - since it's your guys running mate - it's not. The pure hilarity is the fact that he talked about knowing what he was talking about.
Dude...guess what? The economy is in the shitter and you're ignoring it.

Talk about what matters right now.

Edit: Yes what he said was wrong. But who the fuck cares about that right now.

ronito

Dr_Cogent said:
The hypocrisy here is astounding. If Palin had said it, it would be a huge deal
So where were you when we were making fun of Palin then? I don't recall a "Brilliant:lol Pure genius" post from you about Palin. I mean there must surely be one. You wouldn't be calling people hypocrites if you were one. Surely.

DeadTrees

Fragamemnon said:
sweet god JPMorgan just bought Washington Mutual
No, the FDIC is apparently seizing its assets and turning them over to J P Morgan (at a steep discount, natch), probably on the presumption that WaMu wouldn't lasted another 24 hours.

Dr_Cogent said:
Yes, this is in the same league as the Palin interview for CBS.

gkryhewy

Dr_Cogent said:

Ya know, this really isn't the time.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Dr_Cogent said:
Biden has a long history in the Senate to prove he isn't an empty suit. Palin, not so much.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Dr_Cogent said:

:lol

Actually, it wouldn't be a huge deal if Palin said it, because it's painfully obvious at this point just how underqualified she is.

Cloudy

Banned
StoOgE said:
That Wamu news just got me to back off the edge ever so slightly.

That was my nightmare, if they had died tommorow, the FDIC would have been in a world of hurt too. Which could have frozen the markets.

The government actually set the deal up. They know the FDIC can't save Wamu. So what happened to the rest of Wamu now?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Dr_Cogent said:
If you can't tell the difference between a gaffe by an otherwise proven intelligent person and a constant stream of idiocy and utter bullshit that reflects the core of one's being, then you're hopeless.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dr_Cogent said:
LOLZ SO TRUE PEOPLE NOT UP IN ARMS ARE BIASED BIDEN IS OBVIOUSLY STUPIDER THAN PALIN

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
demon said:
If you can't tell the difference between a gaffe by an otherwise proven intelligent person and a constant stream of idiocy and utter bullshit that reflects the core of one's being, then you're hopeless.

He's the resident literalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom