• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gleeky

pxleyes said:
I need to go smoke a bowl or I'm going to to lose it.

Done and Done.

Hootie

With regards to PoliGAF, I'm actually not even sure I want a debate tomorrow. As if this thread doesn't move fast enough as it is, come debate time, it will be hell. Since the primaries ended traffic in here has picked up considerably. Nobody would be able to get a word in edgewise :lol

I still shudder at the thought of the Election Day thread. Now THAT will be a thread for the ages.

Trakdown

artredis1980 said:
so wait. This McCain plan calls for even more deregulation after what happened to the market with all the already set deregulation?

Yep. Tax breaks, too.

Basically, this proves Obama's ads.

Sleeker

Cloudy said:
mccain-palin-anna-nicole.jpg

lmao

lol.

They're both dead

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
artredis1980 said:
so wait. This McCain plan calls for even more deregulation after what happened to the market with all the already set deregulation?
Pretty Mavericky, right?! I mean, wow!

/Tucker Bounds

Cloudy

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
I TOLD YOU ALL IT WAS A SETUP TO HAVE OBAMA GO WITH THE DEAL AND HAVE MCCAIN STAND AGAINST IT!

I

WIN

YOU!

!

I'm gonna find the post.

HERE: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12933104&postcount=278

Nah, he wanted to change the narrative. W/o this, the Palin debacle would be the lead story.

Second, he wanted to delay the debate thinking Obama would go along. They called his bluff and now he will look bad if he doesn't go..

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080520&content_id=1443605&oid=36019&vkey=6

EMPTY GESTURES AND HEROIC LEADERSHIP
The Yankees announced yesterday that they were suspending their campaign for the American League pennant due to the dire state of the economy. "This is not the time for partisan attempts to win baseball games," said Hank Steinbrenner. "I have called Commissioner Selig and suggested that the World Series be postponed or cancelled altogether until we have come up with a solution that unequivocally fixes everything."

When it was pointed out to Mr. Steinbrenner that the Yankees had already been eliminated from pennant consideration, he replied, "Yeah, so?"

Asked for a comment, team captain Derek Jeter said, "Huh?"
:lol

(PS: Don't fuck this up for me Mets!)

StoOgE said:
Obama GAF, thank you THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I just looked at my mailbox and had 42 emails. I was like WTF, I just cleaned it out a few hours ago.

Every single one of them were from the Obama GAF page. 42 people just donated to Obama.

Im in the middle of a mini-freak out and you just put a giant smile on my face.
Someone gimme the link again please.

I no longer have a grasp of reality.

1. McCain supports de-regulation for 26 years in the senate, seeking advice from Phil Gramm for much of that time
2. McCain runs for president during economic crisis, claims he is now for regulation - ala "calling out" Fannie/Freddie 2 years ago
3. Economic crisis demands action: McCain returns to Washington to set things right
4. Democrats and republicans reach a deal before he arrives
5. McCain arrives, torpedoes deal with his own plan: more de-regulation and tax breaks for the rich

I'm baffled. I don't know what to say.

artredis1980 said:
so a majority of Americans dont want a bail out, does Obama support the bailout? What alternatives are there

He could just let the economy sink and blame McCain, and win the election.

But at least one candidate is putting country first here. There needs to be a bailout to keep the world economy afloat, even if the American people are too mesmerized by the $700billion figure to support it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
artredis1980 said:
so a majority of Americans dont want a bail out, does Obama support the bailout? What alternatives are there
Obama supports it because it needs to happen. There are no alternatives.

Frank the Great said:
He could just let the economy sink and blame McCain, and win the election.

But at least one candidate is putting country first here. There needs to be a bailout to keep the world economy afloat, even if the American people are too mesmerized by the $700billion figure to support it.

but wont the support of the bailout reduce the numbers of confidence ppl have in obama concerning economy?

Trakdown

artredis1980 said:

According to Rahm Emmanuel, tomorrow's Gallup is going to show that 80% polled do want a bailout.

Also, the plan they had before McCain stunk up the place was a lot more reasonable- it wouldn't be $700B right off the bat, but on a contingency basis. There'd be oversight.

Zeliard

PhoenixDark said:

1. McCain supports de-regulation for 26 years in the senate, seeking advice from Phil Gramm for much of that time
2. McCain runs for president during economic crisis, claims he is now for regulation - ala "calling out" Fannie/Freddie 2 years ago
3. Economic crisis demands action: McCain returns to Washington to set things right
5. McCain arrives, torpedoes deal with his own plan: more de-regulation and tax breaks for the rich

Couric: But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?

Palin: I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.

Couric: I'm just going to ask you one more time - not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation.

Palin: I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.

She'll bring them to us, dude. We have to wait.

harSon

Banned
For the first time in this election... I'm scared that Obama might lose. I don't know how and I don't know why but I think this latest publicity stunt could put Mccain over. I have absolutely no faith in the American people's ability to sniff out bullshit. I'm still optimistic about Obama's chances but I'm no longer 100% confident.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Pai Pai Master said:
Fuck this shit. McCain deserves to lose after today.
I have no faith in this country's citizens if McCain gets any kind of bump in the polls from this.

so isnt this the sort of tight Obama makes his 'Big' Speech to pump up the American people? I say he should go ahead with it tommorow afternoon

aceface

McCain's gone fuckshit insane. I wouldn't be surprised if the public starts seeing Obama as the 'safe' candidate after this.

Trakdown

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/stephanopoulo-6.html

ABCNews said:
ABC News' George Stephanopoulos Reports: Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson fears the Wall Street bailout deal is falling apart after a chaotic White House meeting, sources say.

Paulson walked into the room where Democrats were caucusing after today's meeting at the White House and pleaded with them, "Please don't blow this up."

Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., chair of the House Financial Services Committee was livid saying, "Don't say that to us after all we've been through!"

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said, "We're not the ones trying to blow this up; it's the House Republicans."

"I know, I know," Paulson replied.

I know this has been said before, but fuck McCain.

Macam

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
I suppose... but I severally doubt Noriega will win

1gjbd0.png

I doubt it too, but I'm still hoping. Besides, as the demographics in Texas get larger and more diverse, something's going to give eventually (short of a political anomaly) and with 34 electoral votes at stake, I can't wait for that day.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
artredis1980 said:

Basically the polls have been showing people want the economy to improve, but not with their tax dollars. We want to have our cake and eat it to. I've noticed a lot of the messages that CNN has gotten about it, are people thinking that this money is going directly into the pockets of CEOs.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Pakkidis said:
Ron Paul tells it like it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyjKbNUfjSM&feature=related

Maybe we should've listened to Paul this whole time

Paul understands economics and is consistent with his deregulation message in that he says regulation is not needed as much if the Federal Reserve doesn't create artificially low interest rates that creates the whole incentive for stuff like sub-prime mortgages.

McCain on the other hand doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about and just says "deregulate" while ignoring the Feds. That would be a disaster...oh wait it IS a disaster.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
PhoenixDark said:

Maverick just wanted to wet-start the economy. That's all.

PhoenixDark said:

BlackGuyInStarTrek.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hootie said:
Am I the only one not panicking?

About the financial crisis? Nope, I'm cool as a cucumber. I understand what could happen, but I think we're strong enough not to let it go that far.

Then again, I don't have thousands of dollars in a 401K.

Deku

Banned
Hootie said:
Am I the only one not panicking?

wi94d5.jpg

Just catching up. What worries me is McCain is going to get credit for basically some very clever political gambits and bluffs and no real substance.

I hope Obama can answer back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom