• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

RubxQub said:
I have no faith in this country's citizens if McCain gets any kind of bump in the polls from this.
He got a bump when he called Obama a celebrity and got a bump for picking Palin.

Our country aint the brightest.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Asian markets are tanking quickly after opening on a rise expecting the bailout to go through, as soon as news hit of the McCain stunt the markets started to go down.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=^N225#symbol=^N225;range=1d

Chichikov

Cheebs said:
He got a bump when he called Obama a celebrity and got a bump for picking Palin.

Like Bill Maher used to say, the people who decide elections are the undecided, i.e. people who are so stupid that they can’t make up their mind who to vote to without political ads.
Don’t put too much faith in them.

Mike Pence are who we thought he were.

“I believe Congress should act, but we should act in a way that protects the integrity of our free market and protects the American taxpayer from more debt and higher taxes.

“The strength of America resides in our faith in God and our faith in freedom, including our economic freedom. To have the freedom to succeed, we must also have the freedom to fail and any solution to the present crisis must preserve that essential economic liberty.

2aguib6.jpg

Cheebs said:

The hope is that by this time people are able to see through this bullshit. McCain got a bump due to Palin but today people realize she's not qualified, and was a political choice. People want McCain to debate, I think they'll see through the "suspend" bullshit. But we'll see how they perceive this battle over the bailout

Assuming McCain debates: If Obama doesn't come out hard and call McCain out - I truly think he should tell McCain he should be ashamed of this stunt - McCain might get away with this.

Hootie said:
Am I the only one not panicking?

wi94d5.jpg

This is way past who will or won't be President four the next four years. This is about the economic future of the United States for the next couple of decades.

Dax01 said:
So in attempt to make things better, McCain made things worse...?

Something tells me he would make a bad president.

That piece of shit never intended to make things move more smoothly in this deal.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
This shit is just too damn funny.

When the extremes don't work, become more extremer?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What a maverick. Letting country sink with the ship first.

Diablos

I don't even know what to make of all of this.

Democrats and Republicans in Congress are about to make a deal and then McCain starts playing politics under the guise of not playing politics.

If anyone falls for this they are lacking a brain. Gallup tie is disturbing even if it's just 'crossing streams' at the end of the day.

AniHawk

In every language combined, there are nowhere close enough to as many swear words that I need to accurately describe John McCain right now. I just start typing and I have to go back and start from scratch because it's too nice.

AniHawk said:
In every language combined, there are nowhere close enough to as many swear words that I need to accurately describe John McCain right now. I just start typing and I have to go back and start from scratch because it's too nice.
Maybe you should try illustrating your anger. Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words.

teh_pwn

AniHawk said:

Just have Olbermann do one of this special comments.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Remember this morning’s NBC poll that showed Michigan tied? Think again, says a new survey from the Detroit Free Press.

The poll, conducted by the highly regarded Iowa firm Selzer & Co., found Obama with a double-digit lead over McCain, 51-38. Perhaps just as significantly, Obama led by 20 points, 56-36 percent, on a question asking which candidate was more likely to fight “for the concerns most important to you and your family.”

The Free Press’s conclusion? “Michigan could possibly be removed from the list of battleground states, even as the candidates have spent so much time in the state.”

Of course, the appearance of this poll doesn’t make NBC’s numbers irrelevant – but it does suggest that McCain might not be quite that close after all.

http://www.politico.com/gameday/

At first I was in shock and wondered if McCain couldn't fuck things up any further... then I realised that unless the media does its job really well, ordinary voters might see what he just did as being a good thing.

;_;

God damn it America! Every single time you do something like this, it shakes the boat for the rest of us. I thought it would all be over soon; I thought the USA would be under new management. I thought the bailout plan would go through and everything would get back on track, but nooooo... I just... I just...

... I just want someone to hold me and tell me that everything is going to be alright :(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
johnsmith said:

In the #1 video she is saying exactly what I said a few days ago:

1- The decision to adjourn congress on Sept. 26 was decided in July.
2- The bailout plan had been in the making for months, this is confirmed by Paulson himself.
3- Paulson repeatedly said that we had reached the bottom of the crisis, for a year, month after month he repeated that, all the way to this past August.
4- One week before congress adjourns, after a couple of catastrophic events on Wallstreet, they bring up the plan developed over months, months during which Paulson was saying all is well now, to congress and says it's hell at the door.

AniHawk

Agent Icebeezy said:
Remember this morning’s NBC poll that showed Michigan tied? Think again, says a new survey from the Detroit Free Press.

The poll, conducted by the highly regarded Iowa firm Selzer & Co., found Obama with a double-digit lead over McCain, 51-38. Perhaps just as significantly, Obama led by 20 points, 56-36 percent, on a question asking which candidate was more likely to fight “for the concerns most important to you and your family.”

The Free Press’s conclusion? “Michigan could possibly be removed from the list of battleground states, even as the candidates have spent so much time in the state.”

Of course, the appearance of this poll doesn’t make NBC’s numbers irrelevant – but it does suggest that McCain might not be quite that close after all.

http://www.politico.com/gameday/

Selzer is 538's number one, so... yeah.

Gotta secure MN, PA, and NH. I think PA is actually safe, but NH could fuck things up.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
At first I was in shock and wondered if McCain couldn't fuck things up any further... then I realised that unless the media does its job really well, ordinary voters might see what he just did as being a good thing.

Dude, he just proposed deregulation as a solution to a problem that was caused by deregulation.

He just proposed tax breaks for the companies that blew up and are asking for our money.

He's gonna own himself.

Chill.

MaddenNFL64

Ya, i'm not worried about Obama. He got this. I'm just extremely pissed off at the bullshit from House repubs. Fucking crash & burn this bill, so they can have their own "stamp" on this crisis. Fucking morons, all of them.

teh_pwn

Death_Born said:
"Obama could win...but if he doesn't, McCain will"

How does this tell us anything :lol

Zogby is cleary a psychic. Quick, someone alert Palin that someone has performed witchcraft!

Michigan polling has had huge Obama movement the last week as a whole. Pennsylvania is clearly a better takeaway chance for McCain than Michigan is. He's going to need a takeaway, too-McCain's support in Colorado has undergone a total collapse.

Zogby's full of it. Though I think right now there is a good chance that McCain will not win a single swing state (his erratic behavior and terrible VP choice are killing his trustworthiness and credibility), Dems aren't going to win so big that we start flipping states like Texas.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Dude, he just proposed deregulation as a solution to a problem that was caused by deregulation.

He just proposed tax breaks for the companies that blew up and are asking for our money.

He's gonna own himself.

Chill.
But are regular voters going to see this? I don't live in the US, so I have to take GAFer's assumptions about the American people at face value.

;_;

Dems need to back away from any "compromise" bill with the House GOP nutters and let tomorrow's market collapse put the screws to the House GOP and John McCain. And Obama needs to stand firm and refuse to endorse (thus killing) any bill that doesn't meet his very reasonable and basic requirements to ensure that the Democrats don't cave in.

Michigan is going to stay blue, I'd take a ban bet on that.

Penn. is close but I think Obama will retain it, same with Wisconsin. Obama isn't truly playing catch up in any blue state, whereas McCain has to worry about multiple states and has outright lost one (Iowa), possibly two (NM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom