• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
~Kinggi~ said:
I think that would be detrimental to McCain's campaign, just like her staying is detrimental to his campaign. Win win for the good guys.

See? That's why I'm betting on it. He likes to shake things up. Why not?

Timedog said:
I don't think it would make a huge difference, really.
Yeah . . . in theory I would hope that the nuts on either ends of the spectrum would even out. "The Wisdom of Crowds" and all that. But I worry that organized religion has kinda messed with that by putting a thumb on the right-side of the scale.

AniHawk

Souldriver said:
This been posted yet? I was looking at the site, and suddenly this was the headline...

Massachusetts: Obama 58 - McCain 38

Wow, looks like Massachusetts is really pulling away for Obama. I was really worried there for a while.

Guts Of Thor said:
I know it won't happen but it would be funny if Obama said in his opening statement:
"Senator McCain, nice of you to show up."

It would be funny and then immediately torn apart as Obama being arrogant and unprofessional.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
mattiewheels said:
hey stooge, how was your day today? :D

after the scary talk last night, did things blow over a bit with the talk of a new agreement coming, or are things still just as grim from where you stand?

Its teetering. The WaMu bailout made me feel alot better even last night.

Right now the market is in a holding pattern. Everyone thinks a deal is still coming, lets hope it comes in the next 7-10 days.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . in theory I would hope that the nuts on either ends of the spectrum would even out. "The Wisdom of Crowds" and all that. But I worry that organized religion has kinda messed with that by putting a thumb on the right-side of the scale.

Yeah I think it would help democrats, but not by a whole lot. Fix the education system and then ask the same question in 20 years though.

AniHawk said:
She'd spin it as putting family first. Because putting country first would be admitting she was in way over her head and that McCain made a horrible selection.

I think she'd do it because the media's vicious attacks on her family have become a giant distraction from McCain's message of change and prosperity. This election is just too important to allow that to happen, etc etc. yadda, yadda, job creation... blerp

StoOgE

NullPointer said:
See? That's why I'm betting on it. He likes to shake things up. Why not?

Palin stepping down at this point is worse than Palin looking like a complete idiot.

Tamanon

Banned
Guts Of Thor said:
I know it won't happen but it would be funny if Obama said in his opening statement:
"Senator McCain, nice of you to show up."

Nah, too direct. Instead make a statement about how happy Obama is to be there, because in times of crisis, the American people need to hear from their leaders and prospective leaders.

Tamanon

Banned
2890243321_d41221d242.jpg

POOTIN!

AniHawk

NullPointer said:
I think she'd do it because the media's vicious attacks on her family have become a giant distraction from McCain's message of change and prosperity. This election is just too important to allow that to happen, etc etc. yadda, yadda, job creation... blerp

Actually, that's a good point. I don't see her dropping out though. And they're not gonna give a pity vote to a ticket that has someone like Romney or Lieberman (wont ever happen) instead of her.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
speculawyer said:
Just a very basic question about each candidate would do, with a very obvious answer.

Is Barack Obama a Muslim who helped plan 9/11?
Definitely/Yes/No/Maybe

John McCain was a Prisoner of War in Vietnam?
Definitely/Yes/No/Maybe

Wrong answers can't vote.

speculawyer said:
Worse than old, it is Massachussets . . . that is the kinda place they often don't bother polling in because it is a foregone conclusion.
I'm not from the US. Though I know MA is in the North-East, which is almost completely blue, I didn't know if this was of any importance.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
StoOgE said:
Palin stepping down at this point is worse than Palin looking like a complete idiot.

Which is why I hope there's way more pressure from Republican talking heads asking her to step down.

Timedog said:
Which is why I hope there's way more pressure from Republican talking heads asking her to step down.

As discussed earlier, I don't think she can step down now without severe repercussions as in some states, the tickets cannot be changed.

StoOgE

Souldriver said:
I'm not from the US. Though I know MA is in the North-East, which is almost completely blue, I didn't know if this was of any importance.

MA = the Kennedys home.

Teddy Kennedy and John Kerry are their Senators, Gay marriage is legal, they have universal healthcare and have a black governor.

Bobby and JFK's names are sacred there.

Its democratic central.

StoOgE

CharlieDigital said:
As discussed earlier, I don't think she can step down now without severe repercussions as in some states, the tickets cannot be changed.

I dont know the Republican party rules either, but my guess is McCain cant just name whoever he wants. Palin for example had to be voted on, even if it was just symbolic. That was the threat against Lieberman, that it would be voted down on the floor.

CharlieDigital said:

Ahh. Good point. The ballots couldn't be changed in time could they?

If only we had electronic voting machines capable of making these kinds of changes at the last minute...

I know, I know

StoOgE said:
MA = the Kennedys home.

Teddy Kennedy and John Kerry are their Senators, Gay marriage is legal, they have universal healthcare and have a black governor.

Its democratic central.
In retrospect I should've known that. At least, if I was asked if MA leaned democratic or republican, I would've picked the first without much hesitation.

Thanks for the info though, now I know why that state is so blue.

Palin will never quit. It fucks McCain up in too many ways.

1. Makes him look weak
2. Makes him look stupid for selecting her
3. She's already on the ballot and early voting has begun in many states
4. Will piss off the base that loves her (dumb as bricks or not, she draws a crowd).

StoOgE

Souldriver said:
In retrospect I should've known that. At least, if I was asked if MA leaned democratic or republican, I would've picked the first without much hesitation.

Thanks for the info though, now I know why that state is so blue.

No problem, I was just giving you some info.

You know more about US politics than I do any country other than my own.

StoOgE said:
No problem, I was just giving you some info.

You know more about US politics than I do any country other than my own.
Yeah, I don't really expect you to know the political landscape of Belgium. :lol For good reasons. The US is a liiiiiittle bit more important. ;)

Q: if Hillary was picked as nominee, would West-Virginia have gone blue for sure?

Lieberman spouting shit on MSNBC about how McCain moved the bailout process out of deadlock and is responsible for the progress that's been made. Just how full of shit IS this guy?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
CharlieDigital said:

Why are some people calling for her to step down? Why would it be impossible for someone to step down if they at some point didn't want to do it anymore? I don't see how that makes sense.

edit:
3. She's already on the ballot and early voting has begun in many states

Oh shit, mon. What happens if a VP gets sick or something happens to them?

Tamanon

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Lieberman spouting shit on MSNBC about how McCain moved the bailout process out of deadlock and is responsible for the progress that's been made. Just how full of shit IS this guy?

Even Gregory isn't buying it.:lol

Timedog said:
Why are some people calling for her to step down? Why would it be impossible for someone to step down if they at some point didn't want to do it anymore? I don't see how that makes sense.

I suspect most people haven't really given it much thought. I sure as hell didn't know about it until this morning.

Timedog said:

Some idiot on a conservative blog brought it up so now it's on everybody's lips. It ain't gonna happen people.

RubxQub

JOHN MCCAIN PUT COUNTRY FIRST!

COOOOOOOOOUNNNNNNNNNTTRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYY

FIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRST

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
DeaconKnowledge said:
Some idiot on a conservative blog brought it up so now it's on everybody's lips. It ain't gonna happen people.

Sure, but in the event that something happens to a candidate what exactly is the process after that?

RubxQub

MoxManiac said:
Wait. is the debate in 1 hour 20 minutes away, or 2 hours 20 minutes away? I'm seeing conflicting times
9 o'clock EDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom