• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Frank the Great said:
He wanted tonight's debate to be held next Thursday in place of the VP debate, in hopes of there never being a rescheduled VP debate. This whole thing, the past two days have all been another attempt to hide Palin from public scrutiny.

Is what Ed Schultz wrote legit?

McCain Camp insiders say Palin "clueless"
Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people
are more than concerned about Palin. The campaign has held
a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as "disastrous." One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, "What are we going to do?" The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is "clueless."

I know it was posted earlier. Just wondering if it has any legs, because that's very damning.

DSWii60 said:
Ted Kennedy's been taken to hospital.

Fuck. Hope he's all right. Matthews talking about it now.

Hitokage said:
I was asking people to use a form that didn't distinguish between DST or not if they weren't aware of the difference.
If they're not aware of the difference, I'd say they're not fit for posting in this thread.

greepoman

soul creator said:
my coworker just sent an email out with some NY Times article that essentially blames all of our current economic problems on...drum roll...Clinton and Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac giving loans to poor people.

I really want to respond with:

but I'm trying hard being "too political" at my job :lol

The funny thing is the Act that Clinton signed that is one piece of the puzzle is the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act which removed the restrictions between banks, finanical instutions, and insurance companies that were placed after the Great Depression. Sure Clinton signed off on it but look at the people who introduced the Act ... Phil Gramm (R-TX) and in the House of Representatives by James Leach (R-IA) and Thomas Bliley (R-VA).

And guess where Phil Gramm is today? Still unoffically advising Mccain after he called this a mental depression and that americans were whiners.

I'd just like to point out that the same week early voting started in most places was the same week Obama started surging in polls. He is probably experiencing much more favorable support in early voting than he otherwise would have. This will NOT be reflected in exit polls Nov. 4th.

Just sayin'.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
VictimOfGrief said:
If they're not aware of the difference, I'd say they're not fit for posting in this thread.

I know the difference but try and avoid it because I cant remember which time of the year is DST and which is ST.

Zeliard

speculawyer said:
Have you watched the various clips released from the Couric interview? No need to trust Schultz, decide for yourself.

Oh, I know she's incompetent, just a bit amazed that it took the Republicans this long to realize it.

speculawyer said:
Have you watched the various clips released from the Couric interview? No need to trust Schultz, decide for yourself.
Well, there's a bit of a difference when regular Joes like us (who may or may not have some degree of bias) agree that she's unfit to be where she's at, and the campaign itself having that GOB moment where they admit to themselves "I think I've made a huge mistake."

StoOgE

Gattsu25 said:
Is Chris Matthews crying on TV?

He just lost it as he went off air, his voice was cracking completely.

I think the news is worse than what they are saying on air :(

FUCK.

AniHawk

Steve Youngblood said:
Well, there's a bit of a difference when regular Joes like us (who may or may not have some degree of bias) agree that she's unfit to be where she's at, and the campaign itself having that GOB moment where they admit to themselves "I think I've made a huge mistake."

I'M TIRED OF YOUR SARCASM, YOUNGBLOOD.

Tamanon

Banned
StoOgE said:

FUCK.

I wonder if they're holding the news until after the debate itself.

StoOgE

Tamanon said:
I wonder if they're holding the news until after the debate itself.

It looks like the news source is a leak and not anything put out by the family.

I hope its just a precaution. I want Teddy there if Obama gets sworn in.

Steve Youngblood said:
Well . . . we are the ultimate deciders in the case. But I guess we'll know their decision if she decides to leave the campaign to spend more time with her family (which is a very understandable excuse in a case with 5 kids, 1 being special needs, and 1 having her own kid soon.)

WedgeX

Banned
StoOgE said:

FUCK.

MSNBC and NY Times both say "Police Say Senator Edward M. Kennedy Has Been Taken to a Hospital, A.P. Reports"

...which cannot be good.

StoOgE

WedgeX said:
MSNBC and NY Times both say "Police Say Senator Edward M. Kennedy Has Been Taken to a Hospital, A.P. Reports"

...which cannot be good.

Fuck.

CNN just said democratic source.

:( :( :(

Zeliard

speculawyer said:
Well . . . we are the ultimate deciders in the case. But I guess we'll know their decision if she decides to leave the campaign to spend more time with her family (which is a very understandable excuse in a case with 5 kids, 1 being special needs, and 1 having her own kid soon.)

True, but if goes that route, how can she possibly argue that she can be VP?

speculawyer said:
To clarify, I'm saying that, if there was truth to it, this is far worse than backlash from the public. It would be an admission that the situation was so dire that they were starting to lose faith in their ability to spin this situation favorably.

There's a big difference between simply going "Palin's poll numbers are down and she's not looking good out there," and them admitting internally "we're fucked."

StoOgE

Steve Youngblood said:
To clarify, I'm saying that, if there was truth to it, this is far worse than backlash from the public. It would be an admission that the situation was so dire that they were starting to lose faith in their ability to spin this situation favorably.

There's a big difference between simply going "Palin's poll numbers are down and she's not looking good out there," and them admitting internally "we're fucked."

I agree.. it is far more damaging to the campaign to remove her. Her looking like an idiot still allows the base to rally around and defend her.

If they cut ties with her, the base will turn on him, and everyone will question his decision making.

Zeliard

Steve Youngblood said:

Indeed. So what are they going to do now? Send her to the wolves anyway? They can't postpone or cancel the VP debate at this point without making it look very obvious to everybody that Palin is in over her head.

thefro

oxford-6.jpg

Just saw the clip of Obama arriving to the debate (as seen in the photo above), and he took his shades off the exact same way as the Rock did. Hilarious.

RiZ III

I expect McCain to just stand there and smile a lot and not really bothering to answer questions very well. His whole scheme seems to be to present himself as a victim and a good man.

StoOgE

Pat Buchanan is being an idiot. He wants McCain to become some sort of wierd populist and ignore every single vote he ever cast tonight.

That is a losing strategy b/c Obama and Lehrer is going to call him out.

greepoman

methane47 said:
o.0

wow at the racism :(

The sad thing is, I live in the South an my wife's upper middle class family & friends are basically the same way just worded more eloquently...you know, that more sophisticated snobby racism aka you can be cordial but if you were to ever be friends with or date a black person you would be cut off from the family.

Tamanon

Banned
StoOgE said:
Pat Buchanan is being an idiot. He wants McCain to become some sort of wierd populist and ignore every single vote he ever cast tonight.

That is a losing strategy b/c Obama and Lehrer is going to call him out.

Yeah it is, but Buchanan's on this fierce anti-bailout kick and thinks that all you have to do to win the election is vote against it.

Teddy :(

Obama never knocked a debate out the park, well at least when facing a good opponent. But...if he can handily win this debate I think this could be the first knockout moment of this election. McCain would be sent reeling into the weekend, and the bad news would only carry into the VP debate slaughter.

I think McCain is going to do well though

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/26/ted-kennedy-hospitalized_n_129737.html

HYANNIS PORT, Mass. — Sen. Edward Kennedy, who is being treated for brain cancer, has been taken to a hospital near his Cape Cod vacation home after complaining of feeling ill. Barnstable police Sgt. Ben Baxter says a 911 call from the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port came about 5 p.m. Friday.

Baxter says Kennedy was taken by ambulance to Cape Cod Hospital. He says Kennedy was "alert and responsive" during the trip.

Hopefully just a precautionary thing after all.

Tamanon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

Obama never knocked a debate out the park, well at least when facing a good opponent. But...if he can handily win this debate I think this could be the first knockout moment of this election. McCain would be sent reeling into the weekend, and the bad news would only carry into the VP debate slaughter.

I think you may be misunderstanding what "knockout" means:p

mj1108

thefro said:
oxford-6.jpg

Just saw the clip of Obama arriving to the debate (as seen in the photo above), and he took his shades off the exact same way as the Rock did. Hilarious.

Obama looks badass. Who thought that we could have a badass looking future President?

PhoenixDark said:

I think we may see him take the gloves off since he is going up against McCain and not someone within his own party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom