• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Not a predictive measure. More of a "if you're going to jump on it, watch to see where it goes and then strike." It's going to start trending upward with the release of polls within the next few days. I'd start buying shares soon since Romney's time is running out.

I know that you're not, you're just playing with the market. But I thought I'd mention it just to try to forestall anybody jumping on that trend and freaking out. Not that there's anybody in PoliGAF who would wildly overreact based on a tiny move on a commission-based (not bookmaking) prediction market.

Wait a second, the ACA had a potential public option in it? How in the world did all this time pass and nobody knew about it?

Wanna know the truth?

It was the media's job. But they were too focused on bitching, moaning and Wolf Blitzing about minute presidential race changes. They completely botched the Libya incident and failed to shine light on obamacare's intricacies. Print once again saves the day, our truly the last bastion of news integrity. Here's my quote from the mediafail thread from few days ago:
CNN's slide into the spinning toilet drain started as soon as they stopped focusing on the news, and started focusing on the repercussions/reactions to the news. They figured the reactions bring more popcorn than the news story itself. Their coverage of State Dept's handling of Libya was deplorable. Basically bringing partisan morons from the other side to blast the State Dept nonstop, rather than investigate and find out (like NYTimes did) why the State Dept was giving conflicting reports. It turns out that basically CIA was feeding information to State Dept as things were happening. Why couldn't CNN do this simple investigation task? Another example, they have squiggly meters that judge undecided voters' reactions on the fly during debates. This is not only wholly unnecessary, but distracts you, the viewers, from focusing on what the candidate is saying and makes you looking at the squiggly lines (the reaction to what the candidate is saying). It's just bad business. They've turned into the bookies that bet on horse races (not necessarily presidential race, but any major event), examining and hedging every reaction to the event.

CNN International on the other hand is solid. Please do support it if you live outside the US.

RDreamer

Apparently at Marquette University and UW Madison the Obama campaign is doing a vote early and meet cast members of Glee thing.

Dat ground game.

SmokeMaxX

According to that 538 article, there are three instances where the result between an incumbent and a challenger was different than polling results. In those three instances, the incumbent won two out of the three times. Both of the incumbent wins were where the difference was greater than 0.6. The loss was when the difference was 0.6.

Wow at that story from Texas. If free speech is supposed to be so protected in the us. These people should be tried for more than just property damage or theft. It's (voter) intimidation and whatever it's called when you're interfering with an election. Jail time baby.

That's called the evening shift for Republicans.

RDreamer

Interesting. I suppose you could create a sort of hierarchy of news channels.

CNN: meta-news. Talk about repercussions and reactions to news rather than the news itself.
PBS: news. Talk about things that have happened.
Fox: proto-news. Talk about things that are not news until they become news.

I think fox should be "Proto-News. Talk about things that are not news until they become meta-news."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So I guess nothing to do till the new polls come out. It's time for another Obama Hillary fanfic...who's up for it?

I went to a brewery yesterday that just came out with a new beer called "Time to Panic Pale Ale"

Tendo

Life in NC continues to be rad as my girlfriends family attempted to make us watch 2016. I refused because it is a crappy propaganda film and now they are talking about how the devil is inside me and I need prayer.

Why did I move here? I can't wait for that Obama victory.

Cheebo

Banned
Life in NC continues to be rad as my girlfriends family attempted to make us watch 2016. I refused because it is a crappy propaganda film and now they are talking about how the devil is inside me and I need prayer.

Is your girlfriend sane at least?

I keep forgetting what it is like outside of Chapel Hill and Durham. :(

Tendo

Is your girlfriend sane at least?

Yup. I don't know how she is with that family. They think I brainwashed her into being a liberal though. See, she's a woman and can't make decisions for herself "without a man's help." Her families words. Meanwhile she believes in a woman's right to choose and is personally benefiting from Obamacare but they don't understand why she doesn't swoon over Ol' Mittens.

Part of the conversation "He doesn't care about you, just his people!"
Me: "And who are his people?"
"Oh...you know..."

What good Christians practicing love, patience, and grace.

I love watching Obama's chances go up everyday. Feels so good.

I keep forgetting what it is like outside of Chapel Hill and Durham. :(

I had the chance to move to Durham last year. I'm an idiot.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I guess nothing to do till the new polls come out. It's time for another Obama Hillary fanfic...who's up for it?

I feel like I didn't get enough reaction on my last one. Granted, I posted it before 9AM! But I am putting down my pen until Hillary is prez.

http://www.nccivitas.org/2012/civitas-poll-romney-obama-close-to-the-end/

Romney +1 in NC. Might have been posted already

The gap in NC seems to have shrunk (Ras says +6, but with his lean it's smaller). Romney is probably up 2-3 in NC right now but that's smaller than what it seemed a week ago or so.

So Romney's lead is shrinking in an absolutely essential state most places have already put on his map but he is supposed to be also closing the gap in other battleground states that he has never had the lead in?

The strangest momentum I have ever seen.

Belgian story here...

A lot of my relatives have been asking me who will win the US elections. I always say "probably Obama", followed by a short explanation of the EV system and how it favors Obama more than the popular vote. They always respond by saying "but the news said its a tie". So you can take solace im the fact that even non-american media are running with this narrative.

Now lets hope Obama actually wins. You know, for my credibility... Oh yeah, and so the world doesnt become a worse place...

Edit: Oh, and just about everyone I know is rooting for Obama. Funny how that goes huh. If the world could vote, we'd see like an 80% Obama landslide.

Mason Dixon poll has Akin down 2 to McCaskill.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...409e3e95a55/508b1af15cdd4.pdf.pdf&chrome=true

Akin with 28% favorability and yet in it according to this poll. Women only 47% for McCaskill.

What the holy fuck. Seriously, if Akin pulls this out (which I think he can), Missouri needs to be shipped off to Antarctica

I honestly rather know the mentality and cognitive dissonance needed to convince these women to vote for that POS.

Like I want all of them who are voting for him to be sat in a giant theater and have his comments on rape and all that jazz play on a giant screen. Then ask them why the FUCK ARE YOU STILL VOTING REPUBLICAN!

SmokeMaxX

Belgian story here...

A lot of my relatives have been asking me who will win the US elections. I always say "probably Obama", followed by a short explanation of the EV system and how it favors Obama more than the popular vote. They always respond by saying "but the news said its a tie". So you can take solace im the fact that even non-american media are running with this narrative.

Now lets hope Obama actually wins. You know, for my credibility... Oh yeah, and so the world doesnt become a worse place...

Edit: Oh, and just about everyone I know is rooting for Obama. Funny how that goes huh. If the world could vote, we'd see like an 80% Obama landslide.
I had my bank manager ask who I thought was going to win (and this is in the middle of Arkansas). I was just thinking "well shit, I hope this doesn't affect my bank account."

I honestly rather know the mentality and cognitive dissonance needed to convince these women to vote for that POS.

Like I want all of them who are voting for him to be sat in a giant theater and have his comments on rape and all that jazz play on a giant screen. Then ask them why the FUCK ARE YOU STILL VOTING REPUBLICAN!

OGG1b.jpg

pigeon

Banned
wapo said:
President Obama is clinging to a slender, four-point lead over Republican Mitt Romney in Virginia, as both sides ramp up already aggressive campaigns in the crucial battleground state, according to a new Washington Post poll.

Obama outpolled Romney, 51 to 47 percent, among likely Virginia voters, although he lost the clearer 52-to-44 percent advantage he held in mid-September.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/decision2012/2012/10/27/6ce69246-2057-11e2

Don't see the internals.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yup. I don't know how she is with that family. They think I brainwashed her into being a liberal though. See, she's a woman and can't make decisions for herself "without a man's help." Her families words. Meanwhile she believes in a woman's right to choose and is personally benefiting from Obamacare but they don't understand why she doesn't swoon over Ol' Mittens.

Part of the conversation "He doesn't care about you, just his people!"
Me: "And who are his people?"
"Oh...you know..."

What good Christians practicing love, patience, and grace.

I love watching Obama's chances go up everyday. Feels so good.

I had the chance to move to Durham last year. I'm an idiot.

Damn bro, that's some hard shit. You gonna be in a position for the sweetest, salty-ass tears though.

lol @ Black Mamba

WRONG THREAD LOL
Here's what I wrote:

PublicPolicyPolling ‏@ppppolls
New Washington Post poll showing Obama up 51-47 in Virginia very similar to the one we released for @HCAN on Thursday with him up 51-46

BOOM.

RCP won't put in PPP's latest Va poll. lol

Obama would be +1 Va on RCP with these 2 polls in. Considering the other polls are Ras, Purple strategies, and Gravis all showing tie to +2R, these are good things for Obama. Seems more likely Obama is ahead in VA right now than anything else (Fox is usually solid, so might be just a noisy poll from them).

markatisu

I think people are underestimating the notion that if Obama starts going big he might bag more votes on Election Day if people think they will be part of history again. Young people especially like events and if it looks like he is going to shellack Romney it might encourage them to come out in greater numbers thus raising enthusiasm

The problem with Romney was the GOP has always been enthused, you can't make them more excited to vote against Obama then they already are. Its why pandering to them like Romney has makes no sense

Just FYI: WI+IA+NV+VA = 272, so we might not have to wait for that Ohio recount after all.

If VA is called for Obama at any point, he wins. I'm fairly confident that if he wins Fla or Va it's game over.

He's not winning either of those and losing Ohio, Wi, Nv, NH, Iowa

Effect

Mason Dixon poll has Akin down 2 to McCaskill.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...409e3e95a55/508b1af15cdd4.pdf.pdf&chrome=true

Akin with 28% favorability and yet in it according to this poll. Women only 47% for McCaskill.

What the holy fuck. Seriously, if Akin pulls this out (which I think he can), Missouri needs to be shipped off to Antarctica

I really really don't understand this. At this point I think he could go on TV and spend an hour insulting her and calling her every derogatory negative you could think of to insult a woman in general and that number wouldn't change. I really don't understand republican women. From saying they don't have a right to control what happens to their own bodies (I hope republicans were all about personal freedom and small government) to openly admitting it's okay to pay a woman less for the same work as a man. Many (of all age groups it seems) still seem okay with voting for the man saying all this crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom