• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

OMG at that Rih pic. No.

Shamir - On the Regular

This is sort of 212-Lite, isn't it? I'm... lightly bopping to it.

8xIKHDP.gif

This Habits (Stay High) song by Tove Lo is some kind of masterpiece. Better than anything Beyonce, Britney, Christina, et al., have put out.

E: The album version, not that weird Hippie Sabotage remix. I'm stunned the remix has 85 million views and the album version has only 38 mil despite the album version being much better and catchier. That's the one I hear on the radio.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I get that Spotify isn't necessarily good for new artists, but massive artists like Taylor and Rih withholding music from it just comes across as massively greedy on behalf of the labels.

Wait a minute, this new Taylor Swift album is on track to sell 1.3 mil in its opening week? Holy shit. Albums just don't sell like that anymore. Incredible. It reminds me of the times when the Backstreet Boys and N*Sync would put out monster 1-2 mil opening weeks like 15 years ago.

I get that Spotify isn't necessarily good for new artists, but massive artists like Taylor and Rih withholding music from it just comes across as massively greedy on behalf of the labels.

This. It's not like she isn't making money. I understand for the smaller indies but, no... This sounds just greedy.

Skele7on

Banned

I know it ain't right, but it's shit like this that makes me want to pirate music.

Vitanimus

This Habits (Stay High) song by Tove Lo is some kind of masterpiece. Better than anything Beyonce, Britney, Christina, et al., have put out.

E: The album version, not that weird Hippie Sabotage remix. I'm stunned the remix has 85 million views and the album version has only 38 mil despite the album version being much better and catchier. That's the one I hear on the radio.

Gimme More exists tho so......

I've never understood this argument. Can you elaborate please? I don't use spotify often enough, and when I do I'm listening for free. How does an artist generate revenue for a free service? IIRC, artists get paid every time their song is played on the radio, tv, etc. If the fee's from spotify aren't worth the effort, why use it?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I've never understood this argument. Can you elaborate please? I don't use spotify often enough, and when I do I'm listening for free. How does an artist generate revenue for a free service? IIRC, artists get paid every time their song is played on the radio, tv, etc. If the fee's from spotify aren't worth the effort, why use it?

Is the free version not ad-supported any more?

In any case the point is not that they don't get money from Spotify, it's that they do it in order to boost their physical sales.

I suppose the argument could be made that they withhold the massive releases that they can convince people to shell out for from Spotify and in so doing they subsidise the smaller artists being on Spotify?

Vazduh

Oh, I agree about the remix being inferior to the original, but hey, at least it got her airplay in the States.

Buuut... while Habits is a really good song, I wouldn't necessarily agree to it being better than anything Bey/Brit/Xtina have put out.

For example, I feel that Countdown, Piece of Me and Monday Morning are just as good, if not better than Habits. And the songs I mentioned are not even considered as their biggest or best!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Mau ®;137162953 said:
I actually prefer the remix to the original Habits.

But that's just me.

I used to be the same but since the album came out I've reverted back to the original
They're both great though

Oh, I agree about the remix being inferior to the original, but hey, at least it got her airplay in the States.

Buuut... while Habits is a really good song, I wouldn't necessarily agree to it being better than anything Bey/Brit/Xtina have put out.

For example, I feel that Countdown, Piece of Me and Monday Morning are just as good, if not better than Habits. And the songs I mentioned are not even considered as their biggest or best!

Yeah sorry that was just me trolling pop-gaf, the part about being better than all of them. Really good song, though. It's so catchy, it has TWO good hooks. The first one (High all the time) then the second one (Spend my days locked in a haze). Love it!

But considering how many MORE plays these acts are getting on Spotify compared to smaller acts, I suppose they have more to lose financially. Obviously they have more money to start but I can see why the big labels would want to avoid those losses if they could.

Lordt, Wildest Dreams is really unzipping me. It's a song Lana would have written before she discovered cocaine

Yeah sorry that was just me trolling pop-gaf, the part about being better than all of them. Really good song, though. It's so catchy, it has TWO good hooks. The first one (High all the time) then the second one (Spend my days locked in a haze). Love it!

So true. The chorus is amazing. I've warmed up to the remix of the song, but the original is clearly better imo.

Or had any talent.
Naah, it doesn't even come close to the best songs of Born To Die (Paradise). It would fit on the album really well though.

My favorite element of Wildest Dreams is that, starting from the second chorus on, the multiple vocal tracks during the chorus make it sound like there's a vocoder used on her voice. Similar to Imogen Heaps song Hide and Seek.

cory64

The remix actually became popular months before the album version did.

And Britney has about 2 dozen songs that are better.

cory64

I get that Spotify isn't necessarily good for new artists, but massive artists like Taylor and Rih and Bey withholding music from it just comes across as massively greedy on behalf of the labels.
The small artists can actually end up subsidizing the big artists with how their payment method works, which is pretty gross. I think she is being a little greedy but Spotify needs a complete rehaul to be healthy for the industry.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Taylor's Spotify decision is odd to me.

I mean I think it is odd that she equates Spotify with piracy (based on the comment in WSJ where she says

"Piracy, file sharing and streaming have shrunk the numbers of paid album sales drastically"

I am not hurt that she pulled her music, but it just seems to be more about money and not about being an "artist".

Spotify pays by the play (I think I read an average of .007 cents per play) which seems like a small number, but she has like 16 million fans who play her songs, so even if each of them only play 1 song, that still adds up.

Maybe I just don't get it ;P

Vazduh

K. Michelle's cover art slays
Too bad she'll never have another VSOP

Yeeeeeeessssss, I love that song.

5apDIxz.gif

Yeah, it's really good. What did you think about the rest of the album?

Yeah, it seems that the re-release is real.

But that would mean that Rihanna probably won't release her album this month, right? I don't think she'd want to risk lower sales.

Thief - You Look so Good to Me

I realize this artist has a Y chromosome, but get into him.

I like this!

Ummmm I'm not going to address the Beyonce rumors because my heart can't handle that right now so I'll just say that I hope Rihanna has a very blessed holiday season.

Latch

I can't @ all these "reputable" publications going off of that fake tracklist GagaLovesBey from twitter made

I don't doubt the "platinum edition" is coming, but that tracklist is complete fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom