• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
Merry Christmas all. :) Get into Mariah's next holiday classic.

tumblr_mxti78im6O1r3vqfno9_250.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Merry Christmas my favourite bunch of cunts
lady-gaga-christmas-tree-650-430-640x423.jpg

Despite Pharrell's ubiquity, "Happy" made $2,700 in publisher and songwriter royalties from 43 million Pandora streams in the first quarter of 2014, according to an email from music publisher Sony/ATV CEO Marty Bandier obtained by Digital Music News.
In the letter, Bandier said a million streams of a song on Pandora yields roughly just $60 in royalties. “This is a totally unacceptable situation and one that cannot be allowed to continue,” Bandier wrote.
Fusion's Rob Wile points out that these numbers aren't all inclusive and don't include performance rights royalty rates, so Pharrell likely earned more than the paltry $2,700 figure.
"According to industry analyst Michael DeGusta, Pharrell would likely have earned approximately $25,000 from the 43 million plays," Wile says.
Source
$25k for 43 million plays. Fuck that. Streaming (in it's current form, at least) needs to go.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yep. Taylor is on the right side of this argument.

the alternative to pharrell getting $25000 from streaming is him getting $0 from those people pirating it, not those people rushing out to buy copies of the single

streaming royalties might need adjusting, but lettuce not pretend that we can happily return to the halcyon days of multi-million record sales for major artists being the norm

royalan

the alternative to pharrell getting $25000 from streaming is him getting $0 from those people pirating it, not those people rushing out to buy copies of the single

streaming royalties might need adjusting, but lettuce not pretend that we can happily return to the halcyon days of multi-million record sales for major artists being the norm

Let these children know.

Hell, the ONLY reason I've listened to Happy is because it came on a Spotify radio station (which pays higher royalties than Pandora) I was playing. Those few cents is more money than Pharrell would have gotten from me otherwise, because Lord knows I'm never buying that song.

The biggest problem with this debate is people thinking that 38394839847397 streams equals 38394839847397 lost $1 track sales. When, really, it's people listening to and sharing your music who otherwise wouldn't have. A way to advertise your music and yourself AND get paid for it.

B-Dex

Let these children know.

Hell, the ONLY reason I've listened to Happy is because it came on a Spotify radio station (which pays higher royalties than Pandora) I was playing. Those few cents is more money than Pharrell would have gotten from me otherwise, because Lord knows I'm never buying that song.

The biggest problem with this debate is people thinking that 38394839847397 streams equals 38394839847397 lost $1 track sales. When, really, it's people listening to and sharing your music who otherwise wouldn't have. A way to advertise your music and yourself AND get paid for it.

Exactly. I wish I got 25k randomly for people listening to something I made years ago and takes no effort on my part except cashing a cheque.

We don't have to go back to that but the current way is fucked. They need to fix streaming.
Let these children know.

Nobody is saying that single sales would suddenly skyrocket without streaming. But it is impossible to deny that they haven't gone down thanks to streaming. You might not buy it, but other people would probably listen to it on YouTube a few times and buy it if they liked it, were they not paying $9.99 to listen to it through a middle man.

@charli_xcx
just to clarify, i have not commented on any recent discussions surrounding iggy.
‏@charli_xcx
a "quote" i have apparently given on the topic was taken from an interview i gave months ago about another matter.
‏@charli_xcx
i am a fan of nicki, i am a fan of iggy, i am a fan of azealia. in my eyes these artists all stand in their own lanes,
@charli_xcx
representing different things and making different sounds
ibgRBC4V3vlpRp.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Azealia gave Charli a dildo and she let the fans name it and it ended up being called Iggy. Big mess.

Partition

Banned
What a mess. I don't even have a pop album in my top 10 albums of the year.
i0npXIOowlJ73.gif

mine was something like

LP1 - FKA Twigs
St Vincent - St Vincent
Too Bright - Perfume Genius
Broke With Expensive Taste - Azealia Banks
BLUE - iamamiwhoami
I Never Learn - Lykke Li
Trouble In Paradise - La Roux
Aquarius - Tinashe
Cupid Deluxe - Blood Orange
Ultraviolence - Lana Del Rey

Floridian

mine was something like

LP1 - FKA Twigs
St Vincent - St Vincent
Too Bright - Perfume Genius
Broke With Expensive Taste - Azealia Banks
BLUE - iamamiwhoami
I Never Learn - Lykke Li
Trouble In Paradise - La Roux
Aquarius - Tinashe
Cupid Deluxe - Blood Orange
Ultraviolence - Lana Del Rey

Only R&B princess tinashe made my top ten out of those. the rest are within top 20

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Does anyone here listen to Barcelona? Their three 2014 EPs – Love Me, Love You, and Know You. Excellent.

I also downloaded two songs by Wrathschild – "Fall into Love" and "Angeles." I'm enjoying them both, especially the former.

The mental gymnastics necessary to stan anything non-music-related of this poor excuse of a woman.

I wish she never managed to get her album out, I didn't like it anyway, and she wouldn't have had the platform to spout her verbal aids on everyone. (Who am I kidding, even when she was a total nobody, people kept checking for that mess).

Truly the shittiest woman in the game right now.

Floridian

Lord, this end-game is a mess.

Like, I literally have no idea what I should be doing, and everything is time-gated and takes such a fucking long-ass time. :/

Right, i'm really not interested in raiding or the pvp content rn, so far i'm just farming for transmog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom