• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a kid, I used to think Lars Ulrich was an old prick who just wanted more money. Then I grew up, became a musician and realized making a living in this profession is brutal.

Metallicorp definitely wanted their album sales back but now when I look back on those interviews where Lars said "I'm looking out for the bands coming up" I actually do believe that was his intention. Same with Taylor Swift. She's actually in a position where she could help make the industry better for artists and all the masses give her shit saying she's greedy.

The Flop

Banned
Everyone needs to pre-order 5th Harmony's new album Reflection which features a big single "Like Mariah" which is said to be fire. It will sample Always Be My Baby and I'm sure it will be all over the radio....Ha impact continues.
sQ0ww_zps5a22d393.gif

Yaassss, Give them your coins!

tumblr_lox02eaI2C1r0wgiuo1_400.gif

When I was a kid, I used to think Lars Ulrich was an old prick who just wanted more money. Then I grew up, became a musician and realized making a living in this profession is brutal.

Metallicorp definitely wanted their album sales back but now when I look back on those interviews where Lars said "I'm looking out for the bands coming up" I actually do believe that was his intention. Same with Taylor Swift. She's actually in a position where she could help make the industry better for artists and all the masses give her shit saying she's greedy.
I agrih tbh
I'm not saying that STREAMING isn't a good thing, I'm just saying that the current implementation of it is bullshit.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
christ the artpop era was such a mess
could have had so many more singles
sexx dreams, manicure, gypsy all need love

It's Spotify's fault as they're the ones who've set up this economy where music is essentially free
The labels don't exactly have anywhere else to turn to do they...

Not really. The market itself did that when the vast majority of people decided music has no monetary value and should be free. Music piracy increases every year. Sales decline every year. The market has dictated that most people aren't willing to pay for singles or albums anymore.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's Spotify's fault as they're the ones who've set up this economy where music is essentially free
The labels don't exactly have anywhere else to turn to do they...

The record labels are the ones that negotiate terms with Spotify, and choose where funding from streams is allocated. Spotify lives and dies by the record labels, not the other way around.

And it's their fault for being so slow, shit and, and useless with keeping up with trends in music. Back when it was piracy that was killing music, they refused to revise their pricing structures then too, so the options were going to the store to buy an album for £15 vs. downloading it for free in 30 seconds. It took Apple to drag them kicking and screaming into the 21st century with iTunes before they had anything resembling a credible solution to the problem of piracy.

Now it's the same thing again. More people are using streaming, and again, we're told that this is a problem and streamers are Bad People. This time they don't have the bare illegality of piracy to fall back on, and the arguments make even less sense than before. 100 million streams is not the same as 100 million lost sales, and earning 1 cent per stream still beats earning 0 cents per pirated copy. The labels still refuse to allocate money from sales fairly, but it's still the listeners who get blamed.

The record labels are the ones that negotiate terms with Spotify, and choose where funding from streams is allocated. Spotify lives and dies by the record labels, not the other way around.

And it's their fault for being so slow, shit and, and useless with keeping up with trends in music. Back when it was piracy that was killing music, they refused to revise their pricing structures then too, so the options were going to the store to buy an album for £15 vs. downloading it for free in 30 seconds. It took Apple to drag them kicking and screaming into the 21st century with iTunes before they had anything resembling a credible solution to the problem of piracy.

Now it's the same thing again. More people are using streaming, and again, we're told that this is a problem and streamers are Bad People. This time they don't have the bare illegality of piracy to fall back on, and the arguments make even less sense than before. 100 million streams is not the same as 100 million lost sales, and earning 1 cent per stream still beats earning 0 cents per pirated copy. The labels still refuse to allocate money from sales fairly, but it's still the listeners who get blamed.

I agree. Streaming isn't the bad guy. It's the major labels (and always has been). Spotify has no control over how much the labels pay out their artists (aside: I always heard that to break even with the label your album had to go platinum).

That being said, Spotify is in control of the royalty rate they give out. Which is a measly .006 - .008 per stream. Considering they keep boasting about how paid subscriptions are up 12.5 million in the open letter to Taylor they should be able to go beyond less than a cent a stream. From there, if you are independent and your song/album blows up, good job. You've earned it. If you are still stuck on a major label and getting peanuts, get used to it.

EDIT: Just for shits and giggles, I decided to add up Nicki Minaj's spotify streams (192 000 000+) then apply the .008 royalty rate. $1.5 million. If that amounts to "nothing" as she states in her instagram post, clearly the label is taking a huge slice of that.

But 100 million lost sales isn't accurate either. It's not like a "well if streaming didn't exist, nobody would buy anything!" situation. It sure as hell wouldn't be the number of Spotify streams but it also wouldn't be nothing. There's a reason TSwift took her shit down. She most definitely has made more from having her album only available for purchase rather than having it available for purchase + streaming. Not every artist is in that situation, but earning less than 1c per stream will basically have the same effect as piracy for indie artists. And Spotify - having everything, unlimited, available for £9.99 per month - is contributing directly to the devaluation of music. Just like, for example, Steam sales are contributing to the devaluation of games.

I'm not saying that streaming isn't a solution to piracy, because it could be. But the current implementation is bs and that's Spotify's AND the labels' fault. The solution to piracy shouldn't be paying people pennies; it should be cracking down on piracy + making buying music more attractive, such as Bjork's Biophilia and Beyonce's visual album.

Mau ®

The Rhat could be dropping R8 on Grammy night, if HDD is to be believed.

RIRI RUMOR: social media is buzzing bigtime this morning with the news that Rihanna could be dropping her next album R8 on 2/8—which just happens to be Grammy night. The chatter was spurred by eagle-eye fans noticing an HFA pub registration of a brand new track titled "All Night" with Robyn Fenty as writer with Florence +the Machine and produced by Paul Epworth. This could indicate a collaboration or a sample of the F+TM track "Only If for a Night," from the band's 2012 album Ceremonials. Is this her first album under the new Roc Nation deal? Fans are ready for some new Ri. (1/22a)

Also the Grammy's posted a tweet with 8 anchors. Which is a sing of NAVY + R8. Or maybe it's about Sam Smith's performance (apparently his stanbase is called Sailors or some shit.)

rhandino

Banned
I would have trembled if Gaga were at his peak... Adele + PreArtpop Gaga would have destroyed and scalped any effort in those years, our faves would have run drowning in tears and asking her assistants how could such thing happened while trying to glue their tarnished scalps.

But right now...
xqrQbjB.gif

Also, LMAO when people where saying that Gaga was trying to go down with all those crazy Artpop + BTW antics and that she would easy recover just to prove a point.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Y57CPuY.gif

I take it off I put it on
I feel in love when I transform
But this love's not material
ytWM1HI.gif

Now take it in and turn me on
Zip me up it can't be wrong
'Cause your new look's ethereal
iyTn2Me.gif

Looking good and feeling fine
3IRTAER.gif

BG3UtAN.gif

PvYtZfC.gif

Slay, slay

Meier

Mau ®;148354988 said:
Get into Mikky Ekko's album Time.

Surprised you're the only one to mention this album in the past few pages. I figured Stay would have yielded some more interest from Rihanna fans. It's a solid album but I think he left off his best song (Feels Like the End) which is a little surprising. He used Pull Me Down which was on the same EP (tracks) and is a really great song as well, but it's not at the same level.

No Chained is also a big miss.

B-Dex

Y57CPuY.gif

I take it off I put it on
I feel in love when I transform
But this love's not material
ytWM1HI.gif

Now take it in and turn me on
Zip me up it can't be wrong
'Cause your new look's ethereal
iyTn2Me.gif