• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

The music she released in 2012. You know, when Christina Aguilera last released something. But she's working on her new album too right now, isn't she? Hm.

Do you really think Tinashe and Twigs will be churning out music on a yearly basis? No, they'll likely take some time off before their next album. Like Grimes did. And they'll do some gigs and sets, like Grimes has done. I'm not really sure why they're examples.

Before Visions, Grimes released an EP and two mixtapes too. Similar to Twigs and Tinashe. That's what happens. Artists get a lot of buzz that way, but when they release their first album and it does well, they tend to start stockpiling material for their second album, which comes out whenever. Because the second album is difficult and artists feel pressure to deliver to the same standard as their first album, especially when their first album is critically acclaimed.

I'm not sure why you're arguing in favour of Twigs and Tinashe considering that the latter especially is still far more transient than Grimes. Tinashe could fade out if Aquarius fails to deliver, and it's impossible to tell Twigs' longevity considering she released her album a month ago, and she could fall victim to the same pressure as Grimes considering that LP1 is this year's Visions.

Grimes has lasting power, clearly. To make it to 2014, having not released an album in two years, and still have people behind her and hyped for her next release. That makes her far more worthy of inclusion than Twigs or Tinashe, who are the same indie trash with no real impact that you're deriding, really. Just two years behind.

Umm, Xtina has already achieved Legendary status. She can take all the time between albums she wants at this point.

Also, Grimes has people anticipating her album? I thought she just had a lot of pissed off people with that flop rihject she released.

Grimes has lasting power, clearly. To make it to 2014, having not released an album in two years, and still have people behind her and hyped for her next release. That makes her far more worthy of inclusion than Twigs or Tinashe, who are the same indie trash with no real impact that you're deriding, really. Just two years behind.

People are still waiting for Shenmue 3. That doesn't mean it has lasting power.

Touchdown

Banned
He's not just pressed
He's a fume technician

Why can't anyone answer his questions though? That's not pressed. Pressed is voting for someone in spite of another.

iwZ5hwsdAsHaX.gif

Vitanimus

Umm, Xtina has already achieved Legendary status. She can take all the time between albums she wants at this point.

Also, Grimes has people anticipating her album? I thought she just had a lot of pissed off people with that flop rihject she released.

um yes

I'd argue there are more people in the industry hyped for grimes' next effort than xtinct's next mediocre release considering we've been waiting how many years for her Comeback™?

cory64

Christina's top 10 hits
1999 – 1
2000 – 3
2001 – 1
2002 –
2003 – 1
2004 –
2005 –
2006 – 1
2007 –
2008 – 1
2009 –
2010 –
2011 – 1
2012 –
2013 – 2
2014 –
2015 –

not 2013 being a career highlight for her

iWkaQ45Nwf4br.gif

commence "singles don't make a legend, etc"
when all other legends have respectable singles receipts

Robyn's US debut era having bigger hits than all of Xtina's except for her first. Now that's a legend.

um yes

I'd argue there are more people in the industry hyped for grimes' next effort than xtinct's next mediocre release considering we've been waiting how many years for her Comeback™?

what if it's not good

let's be real, people have been waiting half a decade for The Last Grimes Guardian and no one but the truly delusional are hyped for it

royalan

Christina's top 10 hits
1999 – 1
2000 – 3
2001 – 1
2002 –
2003 – 1
2004 –
2005 –
2006 – 1
2007 –
2008 – 1
2009 –
2010 –
2011 – 1
2012 –
2013 – 2
2014 –
2015 –

not 2013 being a career highlight for her

iWkaQ45Nwf4br.gif

commence "singles don't make a legend, etc"
when all other legends have respectable singles receipts

Robyn's US debut era having bigger hits than all of Xtina's except for her first. Now that's a legend.

And are you going to compare those numbers to the number of singles Christina released in the US? Or the fact that Xtina only released an album every 4 years until Lotus?

No?

Ok.

Bladenic

xtina has a lot of flop singles, only her debut album produced a steady stream of hits. after that it was the odd hit single, that's it.

cory64

The fact that she takes more time between albums makes only being able to carry 1 single per era (if that) less of a bad thing?

iWkaQ45Nwf4br.gif

royalan

The fact that she takes more time between albums makes only being able to carry 1 single per era (if that) less of a bad thing?

iWkaQ45Nwf4br.gif

Hmmm, exactly? Xtina was never an artist who flooded radio with singles.

Besides, weren't Xtina's physical single sales right behind Madonna for her early career before digital took off? #oop

cory64

Only two of Britney's singles were available for sale in her first era. Rest were radio. She'd crush Xtina's physical numbers otherwise.

is it really a search to find popgaf's favourite pop star (from the original post) if we include the ballots of people that repeatedly mock and deride popgaf as lesser than them, or at the very least never participate in discussions here?

this is like giving racists a say in the NAACP awards

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Not to vote AGAINST Grimes, but to vote FOR Mariah. There's a difference. Are you worried about my impact?

ictvzpDxUIPXx.gif

sis I'm worried about you. What if Grimey by some horrible contrivance or fluke actually wins and knocks Mariah out of this competition and into orbit? I feel like I may need to keep 911 on speed dial

631886871870878123.gif

but on the bright side, if Grim Outlook actually pulls off a win, then that ALSO means the Béyst may not actually take this whole thing as I feared! :)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly what is the point of this competition if you're just going to get people with absolutely no relation to popgaf to vote?

If your fave can't get through to the next round with votes from popgaf members you probably just need to learn to deal.

royalan

I already have essays preppeD demonstrating why a vote for Beyelzébub is a vote for famine, poverty, war, and global good-dick shortage.

Honestly what is the point of this competition if you're just going to get people with absolutely no relation to popgaf to vote?

If your fave can't get through to the next round with votes from popgaf members you probably just need to learn to deal.

True, I agree. Votes stay in PopGAF and anyone outside can choose to vote. I don't think it's fair to go outside of here and promote... But you know, that may be the worst thing dealing with "Real Music" Gaf.

Yes, I'm ready for Taylor and Katy to get clocked out in the first round, but I'm ok with it.
777ff663.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
'Popgaf*'s fave'

*and whoever you can rope in to vote for your 'legendary' fave even tho she can't beat a 'flop' indie gerl
Too late. Weren't several of you trollops now whining running to get GAF in the initial qualifier round?
As I recall it was only everyone's favourite Satch-foiler who ran to other communities to garner votes for her flop fave then, too.

Mumei

I don't even understand why you're trying to convince each other. If anything, you should be sending PM bribery to 'scribe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom