• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Roy, truly the Marc Faber of Beyoncé's Marriage.

Or of pop-culture commentary, really.

Ouggwg7.gif

Don't forget to PM me your vote for either Mariah or Grimes over the next few hours!

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the closest match ups in the tournament and we've only just begun! With 30 votes already tallied, here's how we stand right now:

iTqR6x13JXl6K.png

The plus side: I've never had to edit this image.
The negative: You hoes can't seem to decide on who you like more.

Definitely surprising, I for one assuming Mariah was gonna take this handily, but Grimes has a big backing here. If the tie continues to 8pm EST then we're gonna have to do another lightning round. Hopefully it doesn't get to that!

VOTE VOTE VOTE! And thank you sistren!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The question is has touchdown petitioned gafhop yet
edit; if 30 have voted this round how many did nominations?

Touchdown

Banned
What's up with this Taylor Swift / Katy Perry beef I keep hearing about?

igL3revVixLdR.gif

The question is has touchdown petitioned gafhop yet
edit; if 30 have voted this round how many did nominations?

They were gonna be my last ditch effort...and now it looks like I'm gonna need them. Brb

tumblr_mrx3kof0kH1qd8zg3o6_250.gif

Gosh, I'm at a bit of a drift when it comes to this Grimes vs Mariah debate. Imo.....

Mariah Carey is a legend among other things. She obviously has a long list of accomplishments, as well as technical achievements that no one in our time and the next will ever be able to do ever again. Her Discography is also sort of bulletproof in which almost any generation can get behind even if they may not like it at first. Her impact in the vocal realm will never be forgotten. Even with her fuck ups over the years and her misdirections.

However....

Grimes represents the new age of pop music, in which her unsophisticated inconsistent style is hard to get behind at first but can slowly pull you in depending on your taste. She effectively makes unorthodox beats make sense with her terrible vocals, while at the same time holding down her fashion sense to fit the bill. While her style may not be the best or what is well suited for pop music, all in all she is the definition of what the new age will look like. Basic girls who have no actual talent but get by with making manageable songs that makes some type of sense one way or another. Despite not having number ones, a huge backlog of accomplishments and polish and being extremely relevant to pop culture on a whole, she does have a lot of presence in what we are moving forward to when classifying "Pop".

Not sure why I did this write up but... I'm voting now lol.

Touchdown

Banned
Gosh, I'm at a bit of a drift when it comes to this Grimes vs Mariah debate. Imo.....

Mariah Carey is a legend among other things. She obviously has a long list of accomplishments, as well as technical achievements that no one in our time and the next will ever be able to do ever again. Her Discography is also sort of bulletproof in which almost any generation can get behind even if they may not like it at first. Her impact in the vocal realm will never be forgotten. Even with her fuck ups over the years and her misdirections.

However....

Grimes represents the new age of pop music, in which her unsophisticated inconsistent style is hard to get behind at first but can slowly pull you in depending on your taste. She effectively makes unorthodox beats make sense with her terrible vocals, while at the same time holding down her fashion sense to fit the bill. While her style may not be the best or what is well suited for pop music, all in all she is the definition of what the new age will look like. Basic girls who have no actual talent but get by with making manageable songs that makes some type of sense one way or another. Despite not having number ones, a huge backlog of accomplishments and polish and being extremely relevant to pop culture on a whole, she does have a lot of presence in what we are moving forward to when classifying "Pop".

Not sure why I did this write up but... I'm voting now lol.

I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

tumblr_nbol8q1evZ1r974s9o1_250.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
GUESS WHICH CUNT JUST WON TICKETS TO JESSIE WARE
MEEEEEE

Matt_

blss applesus
redeeming themselves after they forcibly put shit in my itunes library

Matt_

I will be grateful when I delete it and it stops coming up on shuffle

Aguila

#ICONIC
I'm not here for these petty unbalanced stan wars. Is this how its going to be throughout this whole thing?

Watch the next battle be Beyonce vs Charli smdh

"Beyonce can sang, she has so many awards. Omg Charli has cute pop songs but shes just an indie chick with no awards."

Ch.

i for one am SHOCKED that GRIMES has no AWARDS

it's positively GHASTLY that she could go into competition with an ICON such as MARIAH CAREY and people would still VOTE for her because they ENJOY her MUSIC

royalan

THEN WHY SHOULD SHE BEAT MARIAH?

BECAUSE SHE PUT OUT ONE ALBUM FUCKING THREE YEARS AGO THAT SHE CAN'T FOLLOW UP LITERALLY BECAUSE SHE SUCKS?

I feel like if indie girls are going to go against the greats, they will hold no weight on their resume. I do feel like they should go against each other, however in this case, I based my vote just on the music... Not accolades. One album can be a huge deal versus a catalog of 10. We've seen this before.

Mau ®

Well, the votes are 50/50 so far so it's not like it's being skewed towards one artist in particular.

Besides, it makes for good draggings and interesting discussion.

royalan

WHAT music???

Even among the current crop of indie acts on the scene, Grimes just doesn't produce enough to be counted. She is no Tinashe, who put out 2544565 mixtapes and is still putting out mixtapes and buzz singles even after she's been signed and has her debut album titled and dated. She's no twigs, she's nobody.

She has no work ethic.

She has no awards.

She has no consistent body of music.

She has no measurable industry influence/impact.

She has no public notoriety.

She has no hope of ever being bigger than she was in 2012.

She has nothing.

Geez I know this is s fan competition, but damn, allow just a smidget of objectivity here. SOMEONE concoct an argument for why Grimes, at this moment in time, deserves to beat Mariah Carey. Someone make the case for why Grimes has a career that will even amount to something.

Cuz I just don't see it. And I thought Genesis was cute.

Well it's just a POPGAF competition, not an actual awards competition or anything. If it was real, Grimes would have no chance of beating Mariah... but here it's just people voting for who they like. The interesting match-ups make it super fun.

Mau ®

Besides, if this was about who has more influence, sales, etc etc then Madonna would win the tourney effortlessly.

And lbr, she won't.

I, for one, am voting for Mooriah. Sorry, Grimey. I'm sure she's taking it well:

i8Gi5cg.gif

...oh

Lettuce remind everyone that even HOMER SIMPSON got a Grammy before Grimes, fictional or otherwise, did.

FQGBpy3.jpg

3phemeral

Even without Accolades, Mariah's catalogue of songs outclasses most anyone's faves. Let's not forget she sung, co-wrote, co-produced, and sang harmonies for practically every track.

I mean, who can do this?:

Harmonizing with haself.

Improvisational.
Melodic .
Queen.

Jazz.
Songstress.
Supreme.

The number one hits?

Vision of Love
Love Takes Time
Someday
I Don't Wanna Cry
Emotions
I'll Be There
A LIVE song that was a last-minute, impromptu selection that smashed radio.

Dreamlover
Hero
Fantasy
One Sweet Day
Always Be My Baby
Honey
My All
Heartbreaker
Thank God I Found You
We Belong Together
Don't Forget About Us
Touch My Body

And who's fav can claim that after being written off after hit after hit of bad publicity that she'd rise from ha ashes like the true, heaven-sent Phoenix that she is and eviscerate ha competition to claim another song of the decade?

The pure embodiment of immense talent, popularity, and critical acclaim.

Often imitated, neva' duplicated. The one true M.C.

There's only one correct choice.

ibbF1eCxKUp2J8.gif

ibfTAHWJHTrZyw.gif

irkawumH1Nlxw.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
WHAT music???

Even among the current crop of indie acts on the scene, Grimes just doesn't produce enough to be counted. She is no Tinashe, who put out 2544565 mixtapes and is still putting out mixtapes and buzz singles even after she's been signed and has her debut album titled and dated. She's no twigs, she's nobody.

She has no work ethic.

She has no awards.

She has nothing.

Geez I know this is s fan competition, but damn, allow just a smidget of objectivity here. SOMEONE concoct an argument for why Grimes, at this moment in time, deserves to beat Mariah Carey. Someone make the case for why Grimes has a career that will even amount to something.

you are just too much

9e4h.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
WHAT music???

She has no work ethic.

She has no awards.

She has nothing.

These fumes.

Your delusions.

This competition is already delivering and we're on the first day.

WHAT music???

The music she released in 2012. You know, when Christina Aguilera last released something. But she's working on her new album too right now, isn't she? Hm.

Do you really think Tinashe and Twigs will be churning out music on a yearly basis? No, they'll likely take some time off before their next album. Like Grimes did. And they'll do some gigs and sets, like Grimes has done. I'm not really sure why they're examples.

Before Visions, Grimes released an EP and two mixtapes too. Similar to Twigs and Tinashe. That's what happens. Artists get a lot of buzz that way, but when they release their first album and it does well, they tend to start stockpiling material for their second album, which comes out whenever. Because the second album is difficult and artists feel pressure to deliver to the same standard as their first album, especially when their first album is critically acclaimed.

I'm not sure why you're arguing in favour of Twigs and Tinashe considering that the latter especially is still far more transient than Grimes. Tinashe could fade out if Aquarius fails to deliver, and it's impossible to tell Twigs' longevity considering she released her album a month ago, and she could fall victim to the same pressure as Grimes considering that LP1 is this year's Visions.

Grimes has lasting power, clearly. To make it to 2014, having not released an album in two years, and still have people behind her and hyped for her next release. That makes her far more worthy of inclusion than Twigs or Tinashe, who are the same indie trash with no real impact that you're deriding, really. Just two years behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom