• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mau ®;130026224 said:
I hope Rih doesn't go against Bey
7732f81d.png

tumblr_mdatfkYAcV1qhlm2ro3_250.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I realized that Madonna's fanbase doesn't actually have a name.

We have the beyhive, the Army (I think that's what Knee fans call themselves?), the monsters, the katy kats, I've seen someone here refer to Carly Rae Jensen's fans as the raepists (that's not SERIOUSLY what they call themselves, is it LOL?!), all the major pop girls have a name for their fans except for the original <3

Madonna's too global for that I guess :)

I keep seeing people say she can't sing but that's not true. She isn't a powerhouse, but she has one of the loveliest sounding voices I've ever heard. I hate ballads, but Madonna's are really good. Even Gaga's are trash (Dope and You and I are just garbage) and she's my 2nd fave.

I will say that I do love Madonna's voice on Masterpiece and Miles Away.

That said I do think her voice limits the potential for me to like her songs more. Same with Britney. No production or melodies in the world can save her from that shit voice. Madonna can at least carry a tune but it's still horribly hollow to me.

i'm glad madonna fans have no name, that way people can be individuals

there's nothing worse than being grouped into a homogeneous mass with crazy people who you dislike and have nothing in common with

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
IIRC they're called racism apologists.

will you STOP it with this already?

Madonna's def made mistakes said some terrible and vile things that I don't agree with and made me smh. She's done some terrible things in her career too like the Sex book which I thought was absolutely disgusting. I still like her, even though she's flawed.

I mean FFS people still like MJ (not me) despite the things HE'S done but I'm not gonna judge them for liking his music or deny his impact on POP.

Nemesis_

will you STOP it with this already?

Madonna's def made mistakes said some terrible and vile things that I don't agree with and made me smh. She's done some terrible things in her career too like the Sex book which I thought was absolutely disgusting. I still like her, even though she's flawed.

I mean FFS people still like MJ (not me) despite the things HE'S done but I'm not gonna judge them for liking his music or deny his impact on POP.

Not you mixing allegations with fact, a mess

rude

Banned
You make absolutely zero sense. SEX is (not even) arguably the most important, influential, and inoffensive thing Madonna has done in her career. And at first you denied her ever saying anything suspect? Now you're vaguely acknowledging it. Let's get it together before you wanna stan hunni.

Let's not even get into the MJ comparison. Madonna is awful but she doesn't come close to that; they're both problematic in vastly different ways.

SaintZ

Didn't you drag Iggy for the ignorant and racist comments she made on twitter too? The hipocrisy.

Go Gaga! I hope she wins.

I really hope Gaga's next pop era turns out a lot better than ARTPOP's. I think there was potential in the album, and I think it could have done a lot better if things didn't fall apart after "Applause". I still use ARTPOP, and the iTunes Festival save for "I Wanna Be With You" still gives me life. It's just a shame that things had to go the way that they did. I really wish we would have gotten a super campy "Venus" music video. And, even though I know it's a big mess, I still want to see the "Do What U Want" music video. I just have to hope and pray that Cheek 2 Cheek flops harder than Ciara's latest effort so that Gaga can focus on giving us what we really want, which is really good pop music. If not, then there's always Ke$ha to stan for.

rude

Banned
Beyonce's long term performance in her sham of a marriage is honestly rivaling every actors' in the cinematic epic Boyhood at this point. Sf deserving of an Oscar imo.

Mau ®;130057064 said:
Just don't forget to renew your HBO sub when Game of Thrones rihturns next spring, k?
That was the only reason I subscribed this year. Only stayed this long to catch the last season of True Blood.
bad decision.

royalan

Beyonce's long term performance in her sham of a marriage is honestly rivaling every actors' in the cinematic epic Boyhood at this point. Sf deserving of an Oscar imo.

It's the role that prepared her for her most difficult performance to date: Pregnant.

Sydle

I love them both so much. Got to see Lana earlier this year in concert (amazing) and going to see her again at ACL. Going with Gaga cause her songs are stuck in my head.

On another note, just got back from seeing Lily Allen. I went from just liking her to loving her. She's great live, so funny on stage and has a great sound.

1LQBGgr.gif

Results are pretty interesting so far... seems like a lot of people are mutual fans of both, so having to choose one over the other lends itself to sort of unpredictable results.

I always imagined that they'd both wind up in the semifinals at least. Oh well :p

I love them both so much. Got to see Lana earlier this year in concert (amazing) and going to see her again at ACL. Going with Gaga cause her songs are stuck in my head.

On another note, just got back from seeing Lily Allen. I went from just liking her to loving her. She's great live, so funny on stage and has a great sound.

1LQBGgr.gif

Wait, do you live in Austin??! My friends went to her concert tonight lol

Sydle

Wait, do you live in Austin??! My friends went to her concert tonight lol

Yes, I do. : )

Oh shit, Charli XCX is coming to Austin next month. So going.

I'm seeing Lana next month actually. Super excited about it but I know not to expect anything mayjah. Lol

What amazed me about it was the packed venue (Verizon Theatre in Dallas) and so many people were singing along to every song. It's not like she's popular on the radio.

She sounds great. She didn't play Ride (OMG, that song) and she forgot words to Radio. Everything else was really great. The set was a little light, but that was before Ultraviolence released. I think her ACL set is going to be short.

3phemeral

So...

I was giving Grimes' Visions a shot because I never really heard much of her stuff outside of Genesis and...

So far, I'm really enjoying

Infinite Love Without Fulfillment
Circumambient
Vowels = Space and Time

I'm really digging the vibe of Visiting Statue, Colour of Moonlight, and Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U).

That said, I can't understand a lick of what she's saying, but I do like the atmosphere that each track builds. Problem is that it can be Rih-Pet-Ta-Tive as heck. So the weaker tracks I get bored of so quick when you hear this same throbbing gooey drum loop that goes on and on and on ad nauseum.

Mariah still gets my vote, obviously. But I've come to appreciate Grimes a little more beyond listening to a track (Genesis) that was far removed from me understanding the overall sonic theme of the album.

Vazduh

I've seen someone here refer to Carly Rae Jensen's fans as the raepists (that's not SERIOUSLY what they call themselves, is it LOL?!)

It was joke, of course. ALEEEEEX!

#raepist4lyfe #justice4kiss

And btw, good sis alex... it's perfectly fine to irrationally hate sometimes (e.g. roy vs Beyonce <3, half of POPGAF vs Xtina <3), but trying to pass off such hate as fact isn't - for example, saying Beyonce's a terrible person while stanning for Madonna who, if we're being honest, is a bit of a shitbag, tbh. Beyonce isn't vile. Katy isn't vile. Vile would be someone like the ex-Lostprophets frontman, Ian Watkins, who is a pedophile and who was planning on raping a baby. Now that's irredeemable.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love most of Madonna's output just as you or anyone else does, and I'll always acknowledge that she's a talented businesswoman and entertainer, and still one of the biggest popstars in the world, but at the same time she's the type of a person who's willing to walk over dead bodies in order to get what she wants. That's probably the main reason why she was able to maintain fame and relevance for so long. It wasn't her humanitarian efforts or her talents, that's for sure.

And I'll have to agree with rude this time, Sex was one of the least offensive things she's done. Honestly, I think even Like a Prayer was more problematic - it was pretty much a song about giving head set to the music video with blasphemous iconography. A genius calculated move, tbh, one of many in her career.

Anyway, I could write a longer post, but I don't have time for that now, so I'm just going to wrap this up. What I'm trying to say is - you can like whomever you want, and you can hate on anyone you want, but if you're trying to bring such hate into discussion, next time...

qBYrm34.gif

P.S. I'm not trying to deter you from posting in here, it's obvious I'm quite fond of the Canadian branch of POPGAF <3 But just try and think before you throw accusations, OK?

Tove Lo's album is SO mediocre, like how did she manage to not put a single song not as good as Habits or Out of Mind on this thing? What a disaster.

The album reeks of try hard, too. She's tries to sell herself as some depraved, drug addict nympho and it was cute as a one time thing with Habits, but the album runs it straight into the ground. The persona works with Lana because she sells it so much better. She's invested in the character she's created and the music has a dark and brooding quality to it that complements the lyrics. Meanwhile, Tove's album is largely comprised of shimmering Swedish pop production. She didn't try.

I was really perching for this album, a shame it's kinda shit.

rude

Banned
Let's rank Rih right quick.

Talk That Talk = Rated R > GGGB > Unapologetic > Loud > A Girl Like Me > Music of the Sun

Watch n' Learn and Te Amo are her best sawngs.

cory64

Let's rank Rih right quick.

Talk That Talk = Rated R > GGGB > Unapologetic > Loud > A Girl Like Me > Music of the Sun

Watch n' Learn and Te Amo are her best sawngs.

Spread the gospel of Talk That Talk
Its only flaw is a shortened Birthday Cake followed by We All Want Snore of all things, killing the album's momentum

rude

Banned
Honestly the only reason Loud isn't all the way at the bottom is because I think Man Down is a really, really good song. The rest of the alberm...

Spread the gospel of Talk That Talk
Its only flaw is a shortened Birthday Cake followed by We All Want Snore of all things, killing the album's momentum
I like Birthday Cake.

ibnY6oanoVUzir.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom