• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
she is OUTSINGING BEYONCE

vOQYNkO.gif

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
This sounds like halfway decent Karaoke.

I wish she would have sang in her normal voice. :/
Don't be a bitter cunt. She fucking slayed that, and there was such a huge potential for complete and utter failure there that she just fucking leapt over.

royalan

I mean I think she did GOOD. She hit all the notes except two, by my count. I'm not being a bitter cunt. :(

I just think she would have sounded even better if she sang in her real voice, instead of going fake opera on us.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I just think she would have sounded even better if she sang in her real voice, instead of going fake opera on us.
She wouldn't have though. You are so wrong about that, even though I do understand where you're coming from. She would have been eaten. alive. for ruining classics. She went into musical theatre mode while singing musical theatre. It was highly appropriate, just short of perfect, and absolutely stunning.

I did the BIGGEST eye roll when it was announced that she was going to perform, and you could tell even Scarlett Johansson was "meh" about introducing her. But fuck. She KILLED IT.

royalan

Oprah has given us so many giffable moments tonight. Bless her.

She wouldn't have though. You are so wrong about that, even though I do understand where you're coming from. She would have been eaten. alive. for ruining classics. She went into musical theatre mode while singing musical theatre. It was highly appropriate, just short of perfect, and absolutely stunning.

I did the BIGGEST eye roll when it was announced that she was going to perform, and you could tell even Scarlett Johansson was "meh" about introducing her. But fuck. She KILLED IT.

Pink wasn't roasted when she performed "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in her normal voice. She was highly praised, even.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Pink wasn't roasted when she performed "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in her normal voice. She was highly praised, even.
Not the same situation. "Over The Rainbow" is covered by just about everyone, to the point where most people probably can't even remember that Judy Garland never belted during the original.

royalan

Not the same situation. "Over The Rainbow" is covered by just about everyone, to the point where most people probably can't even remember that Judy Garland never belted during the original.

Agree to disagree, but I appreciate your knowledge of Queen Judy here.

3phemeral

It's already up on the Oscar website.

I agree with Roy. She sounded good but that first song she did, she was enunciating really strangely. You're supposed to when you're singing musicals but this was a weird kind of effect. It was enough for me to focus on that on not the song. She sounded great on the second song except for that one semi-sour note. For the most part she did pretty great.

It's already up on the Oscar website.

I agree with Roy. She sounded good but that first song she did, she was enunciating really strangely. You're supposed to when you're singing musicals but this was a weird kind of effect. It was enough for me to focus on that on not the song. She sounded great on the second song except for that one semi-sour note. For the most part she did pretty great.

Holy shit, this is what I missed? :O

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I'll listen to Julie Andrews vocal drag Gaga over JazzGa any day.
That's amusingly accurate. She wasn't necessarily enunciating weirdly like some people brought up. She was putting on Julie's accent, which is probably what sounded odd to y'all.

I think you should also take into account that this was on a live telecast. So what sounded good to us probably even sounded better in the theater they were in with the live mixer.

The Gaga performance was... competently performed. From the reactions I thought there was some vocal slayage. Should have known better. Xtina did Climb Every Mountain better tho.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
And then Shonda Rhimes had to go and prove how ignorant she is in regards to musical talent...

It seems like Shonda Rhimes might be among the few people unimpressed with Lady Gaga's Sound of Music tribute at the 2015 Oscars.

"That was not okay. I mean, Idina is there. She is right there. RIGHT THERE. And oh dear God, Julie had to hear that," Rhimes tweeted during Gaga's performance, referencing both Idina Menzel, who had just presented best song, and Julie Andrews, who played Maria in the movie and took the stage right after Gaga finished.

Andrews herself seemed delighted by Lady Gaga's vocals. The two embraced before Andrews presented the award for best original score.

And Billboard thought it was the second best performance of the night.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/earshot/oscars-2015-did-shonda-rhimes-776921

I love Idina, but...no, Shonda. No.

royalan

Is Shonda trying to imply that Adele Dazeem's live rendition of Let It Go last year at the Oscars wasn't horrendous? Because kii if so.

Let's not.

Idina Menzel definitely blew that Let It Go performance, but she is a Broadway Queen and capable of performances like this:

http://youtu.be/JNVJGhBqSlQ?t=2m

Idina would have slayed that performance (especially since none of the songs had solid F5 belts she would have had to worry about, kiiii)

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Idina would have slayed that performance
No, she wouldn't have. She tends to get very nasally, and she more often than not lets her nerves get the best of her on major TV appearances. She's got a bad habit of falling flat when it comes to the major notes. Last year's "Let It Go" was worse than normal because of the John Travolta nonsense, but it wasn't an isolated incident. She would not have performed the medley as well as Gaga did. In fact, she probably would have been ripped to shreds for it. She's far more comfortable on stage and kills it on Broadway.

royalan

No, she wouldn't have. She tends to get very nasally, and she more often than not lets her nerves get the best of her on major TV appearances. She's got a bad habit of falling flat when it comes to the major notes. Last year's "Let It Go" was worse than normal because of the John Travolta nonsense, but it wasn't an isolated incident. She would not have performed the medley as well as Gaga did. In fact, she probably would have been ripped to shreds for it.

Idina Menzel is a one of the most respected Broadway actresses alive today.

She has literally made her career performing live. Like, she has excelled in a field where she literally could not have a career if she couldn't perform live, show after show, for months at a time.

For some reason, she just has not been able to connect to Let It Go. But to say that Idina has a problem slaying live is to ignore her career up to this point.

I agree that sometimes the nasal quality to her voice can be grating, but she'd be much more in her element singing this material than Gaga was.

Bladenic

Gaga's performance was the best thing about the oscars imo of course.

And shonda needs to shut the fuck up and stick to writing trash tv (that's very popular and I still watch, but yeah).

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Idina Menzel is a one of the most respected Broadway actresses alive today.

She has literally made her career performing live. Like, she has excelled in a field where she literally could not have a career if she couldn't perform live, show after show, for months at a time.

For some reason, she just has not been able to connect to Let It Go. But to say that Idina has a problem slaying live is to ignore her career up to this point.

I agree that sometimes the nasal quality to her voice can be grating, but she'd be much more in her element singing this material than Gaga was.
Um, no. I said she kills it on Broadway and not on TV, and that's true. Go look up past Tony performances, for example. While she's phenomenal on stage, she almost never lives up to her reputation when it comes to TV performances. And please don't try to lecture me on Broadway or theatre in general. I work in theatre.

rhandino

Banned
I just watched ha performance

MVuAOFD.gif

I can't believe that Gaga lived up to my hype and delivered, I am so happy (and sleepy) so let me give a quick prayer for Tinashe so she may, also, deliver tomorrow (or today, lol)

vuYuj0y.gif

royalan

Um, no. I said she kills it on Broadway and not on TV, and that's true. Go look up past Tony performances, for example. While she's phenomenal on stage, she almost never lives up to her reputation when it comes to TV performances. And please don't try to lecture me on Broadway or theatre in general. I work in theatre and with performers like her for a living in New York.

Ummm...so, I take it you didn't watch last year's Tony Awards then?

Get into this showstopping, highly acclaimed, pitch-perfect performance by Idina at the 2014 Tony Awards.

And singing an infinitely more difficult song than Let It Go, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom